Sunni fatwa: Women must not be left alone with men — unless they breastfeed them

posted at 7:24 pm on May 22, 2007 by Allahpundit

Because, you see, by calling to mind the bond between mother and child, the act of suckling desexualizes the relationship.

The jokes about other “desexualizing” practices are all too obvious and smutty and simply aren’t worth the phony shock they’d draw from our nutroots readers, but you’ll be happy to know (or sad if you’re a Sunni male) that the fatwa has since been rescinded — sort of. CJ quotes this part but doesn’t emphasize it:

In his retraction, Attia said the fatwa had been a result of his personal analysis of Islamic texts and was in fact “a bad interpretation of a particular case” during the time of Prophet Mohammed. According to Mabruk Attia, a professor of theology at Al Azhar, the Prophet had advised a woman to nurse her adult adopted son, to become his wet nurse, following an Islamic ban on adoption. The woman gave the man her milk from a bowl, and not directly from her breast, Mabruk Attia said.

Sounds like the rule still stands and all they’ve really retracted is the method.

Worth noting: the fatwa didn’t come from some cult leader or fringe kook. It came from the president of the Hadith department al Al-Azhar University, one of the world’s most prestigious institutions of Sunni scholarship. It’d be like if the head of the theology department at Harvard Divinity School decided the Bible commands all Christian women to go topless. Tight ship they’re running over there. Confidence-inspiring!

Comments

Um…What?? Suckling an adult male desexualizes it?? I think I call Bullsh!t..

tickleddragon on May 22, 2007 at 7:28 PM

I’m having a tough time finding a reason to be against this one.

Hollowpoint on May 22, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Nope…I’m pretty sure I call bullsh!t. Yeah..it’s a definite.

tickleddragon on May 22, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Is it just me, or are islamist men just COMPLETELY out of control pervs?

tickleddragon on May 22, 2007 at 7:30 PM

They aren’t even trying anymore. I thought when that dude got sentenced to marry his goat they had pushed it as far as they could, but clearly they are just gonna keep pouring on the nuts. It’s full on crazy all the time.

JackStraw on May 22, 2007 at 7:32 PM

Is it just me, or are islamist men just COMPLETELY out of control pervs?

This coming from “tickleddragon”. Like that isn’t some screen name we’d see on Dateline: To Catch A Predator.

Still, the answer is yes.

Editor on May 22, 2007 at 7:33 PM

Editor on May 22, 2007 at 7:33 PM

Actually, Smart Guy, it comes from my email signature:

“Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.”

It means “never tickle a sleeping dragon”, and it happens to refer to my geeky affinity for the Harry Potter novels.

And for the record, Sport, I’m a 38 year old female.

tickleddragon on May 22, 2007 at 7:37 PM

And the only males I’m trolling for are of my age range…(Kilt and Brit/Scot/Irish accent, a plus) ;)

tickleddragon on May 22, 2007 at 7:41 PM

And for the record, Sport, I’m a 38 year old female.

Funny. You’ll notice in my post I never referred to a specific gender… on purpose.

At least you’re admitting to the geek part.

Editor on May 22, 2007 at 7:49 PM

…if a man nursed from a co-worker, it would establish a family bond between them and allow the two to work side-by-side without raising suspicion of an illicit sexual relation.

If you think about it, this the Islamic version of the women’s rights movement.

RightOFLeft on May 22, 2007 at 7:51 PM

No, but most of those dateline perps are men…and it was kind of insulting to be compared to them.

Never denied the geek part.

tickleddragon on May 22, 2007 at 7:52 PM

A friend of mine was in a market where a woman in a full burkha was arguing over the price of shoes with a salesman. Her child began to fuss, so the woman handed the child to the man, pulled out her breast, took the child back and began to nurse.

This was in either Egypt or Afghanistan, I forget which. Point is, the whole covering thing has some interesting exceptions when it comes to breasts and nursing.

TexasDan on May 22, 2007 at 7:54 PM

And it’s birth control too!

That cleric should have previewed before he hit submit, but then again Islam means submission, so I guess he just got confused.

pedestrian on May 22, 2007 at 7:59 PM

Allah’s will and word can lead to some very screwy conclusions. Even Rabbi Akiva has to be wondering where the frak that came from.

Defector01 on May 22, 2007 at 8:04 PM

Hairy chicks that don’t wipe with toilet paper and a wear head-to-toe black balnket in 117 degree heat… now THAT “desexualizes” it for me.

ScottMcC on May 22, 2007 at 8:05 PM

Is Islam an adolescent fantasy or what?

Speakup on May 22, 2007 at 8:05 PM

Milk has charm that soothed the savage breast….

William Amos on May 22, 2007 at 8:14 PM

How to skip the awkwardness of getting to first base, Muslim-style.

infidel4life on May 22, 2007 at 8:15 PM

So many jokes….so little time.

Kid from Brooklyn on May 22, 2007 at 8:33 PM

There are a heck of a lot of women whose breasts I would “suckle” to “desexualize” my relationship with…

Tim Burton on May 22, 2007 at 9:08 PM

um don’t be alarmed, I’m doing this purely for religious adherence purposes.

Alden Pyle on May 22, 2007 at 9:08 PM

TexasDan on May 22, 2007 at 7:54 PM

Heh heh! Maybe she was trying to fluster the guy into giving her a good price on the shoes.

4shoes on May 22, 2007 at 9:11 PM

So many jokes….so little time.

Kid from Brooklyn on May 22, 2007 at 8:33 PM

Like I said:

Is Islam an adolescent fantasy or what?

Speakup on May 22, 2007 at 9:20 PM

Just wait.

The Hadiths are so full of this kind of cranky kookiness that Islam should be a prime sourcebook for cable sitcoms.

Devils sleeping in your nose. How to fondle your menstruating slave girls.

Islam is nuttier than Jimmy Carter’s back forty.

And the funniest thing is that Muslims took him seriously enough to answer.

(And didn’t just send the boys in white with their big butterfly nets.)

profitsbeard on May 22, 2007 at 10:08 PM

Nice fatwas!

Getting your date drunk on white russians is still better.

Buck Turgidson on May 22, 2007 at 11:06 PM

Following the rules of Islam is like working your way through all the levels of scientology or the masons.

Mojave Mark on May 22, 2007 at 11:57 PM

Milk, it does a fatwa good.

Im_no_dhimmi on May 23, 2007 at 1:13 AM

I kept thinking I was reading Scrappleface.

I still can’t believe it’s not satire.

iNeXuS on May 23, 2007 at 3:30 AM

[borat] Very nice! How much? [/borat]

fusionaddict on May 23, 2007 at 6:38 AM

OOooop……..somebody hold my hair>>>….oohhhh….HEAR COMES LUNCH>>>>>>>>>

seejanemom on May 23, 2007 at 6:56 AM

Ahhh…the RELIGION OF PIECE.

seejanemom on May 23, 2007 at 6:58 AM

Hairy chicks that don’t wipe with toilet paper and a wear head-to-toe black blanket in 117 degree heat… now THAT “desexualizes” it for me.

ScottMcC on May 22, 2007 at 8:05 PM

That really says it ALL.

But still, so many jokes…so little swine.

seejanemom on May 23, 2007 at 7:00 AM

Now that WOULD be a “REVIVAL”.

seejanemom on May 23, 2007 at 7:51 AM

the fatwa didn’t come from some cult leader or fringe kook

For my money, ALL Islamic clerics are cult leaders and fringe kooks…

Lehuster on May 23, 2007 at 8:28 AM

Heh. I’ve been to Harvard Divinity. And, to be honest, that wouldn’t surprise me all that much. At all.

nailinmyeye on May 23, 2007 at 8:30 AM

Um, Harvard Divinity school? Not very orthodox, and I would say not very influential on joe-schmoe Christian. It would be closer to the mark if you were to say the Vatican but then again, a big chunk of Christendom doesn’t listen to the pope either.

Penthesileia on May 23, 2007 at 9:25 AM

Ezzat Attia … withdrew his fatwa and apologized for any inconvenience he caused….

Inconvenience?

Fatwa not quite ready for prime time.

jdpaz on May 23, 2007 at 10:38 AM

Not only is it hard for me to take this stupid Islam seriously, it’s hard to understand why Muslims take this stupid Islam seriously.

Tantor on May 23, 2007 at 6:10 PM