Senate votes for cloture on amnesty bill, 69-23

posted at 7:00 pm on May 21, 2007 by Allahpundit

That means debate on the motion to proceed is over and debate on the bill itself can begin. Why do that when most senators haven’t even read the bill yet? Because, silly, they want to get it passed before people realize what’s in it and fully how awful it is. Like Captain Ed says, they waited 21 years to do something about illegal immigration — and now they can’t wait three weeks more? Flagrantly, arrogantly antidemocratic; in Jeff Sessions’s words, “a railroad job.”

Kennedy and McCain had been hoping to ram it through the Senate by Memorial Day but now Reid, who has his own problems with the bill, is saying that’s a bad idea and it’ll take at least until early June. In any case, note well the vote total: they missed a filibuster that would have put off the start of debate until everyone had a chance to study the bill by 18 votes. That’s a bad moon rising.

How about the House? Do we stand a better chance there? Nope — read Kaus. The left knows this is its best shot, even better than under a Democratic president in 2009 since that would require the unpleasantness that comes with taking legislative responsibility for hot button issues, and we know from the Iraq debate how much the Democrats like that. This is Pelosi’s clean-hands, blame-Bush golden chance at amnesty. It’ll be hard to resist.

Plus, just think how grateful the big cats and tortoises will be.

Update: The GOP wanted a three-week extension. Jack M. says it’s one week but doesn’t provide a source. It sounds from the Breitbart story like they’re keeping it open-ended.

Update: Here’s the roll.

Update: Jack comments below that Reid mentioned the one-week extension on the floor of the Senate.

Comments

That’s gonna hurt come Feb. 08 Johnny boy!

omnipotent on May 21, 2007 at 7:04 PM

That link to big cats and tortoises shows a picture of a……..get this………..STUFFED OCELOT!!!

Yeah…they really give a sh*t about wildlife.

omnipotent on May 21, 2007 at 7:06 PM

Plus, just think how grateful the big cats and tortoises will be.

I thought that by “big cats” was meant the business owners who’re pushing a bill, and by “tortoises” those who’re slow to realize what it will bring, or what it will destroy.

The real big cats can scale fences much bigger than any Sothern border, no problem. Don’t know about the tortoises.

Entelechy on May 21, 2007 at 7:11 PM

I am sick. They have heard from thousands and thousands of constituents that we are unhappy with this bill (understatement.) Supposedly phones and faxes were ringing off the hooks, and emailboxes stuffed. All weekend long I heard how shocked and surprised they were at the public’s response.

How can they be so stupid/stubborn/arrogant? What can we do?

IrishEi on May 21, 2007 at 7:15 PM

“it’s the end of the world as we know it,
and I feel fine…………”

( find your own link on Youtube )

Janos Hunyadi on May 21, 2007 at 7:16 PM

Plus, just think how grateful the big cats and tortoises will be.

Just build it with a 4 ft. cat flap every mile or so.

Coyote D. on May 21, 2007 at 7:19 PM

I called. I faxed. I emailed. It’s all over but the crying. Bye Bye America.

PRCalDude on May 21, 2007 at 7:21 PM

I agree, IrishEi, I have called, written and emailed all of my reps, the Republican party ( to tell them I have left pending the outcome of this travesty) and it all seems to have been fo naught , they are selling us down the river and for what? to divvy up the new 12 milliond voters? I am livid at how they are ramming this through WITHOUT EVEN HAVING READ IT!!!!!!!

bbz123 on May 21, 2007 at 7:22 PM

Allah,

How about a post on the ramifications and sanctions of an income tax revolt by the people (you know, the ones that are supposed to give their consent to be governed?)

PRCalDude on May 21, 2007 at 7:24 PM

It’s the Senators’ defense, it looks like it would have been a really boring read.

frankj on May 21, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Remember the good ol’ days when Rove was an evil genius who was going to destroy the Democrat Party forever?
(sigh)

billy on May 21, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Say hello to Amexica

Once again we’ve been sold down the river.

Fatal on May 21, 2007 at 7:25 PM

So much for a govenment of the people, by the people, and for the people.

Now we have nothing but a few-quasi kings/dictators and large gaggle of passive, gutless bootlickers. It’s a sad day for the Republic.

rplat on May 21, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Where can we go to see who voted for the bill, and who voted against? I’d like to check this out before boiling tar and plucking feathers, and visiting my senator’s office.

rmgraha on May 21, 2007 at 7:30 PM

Clinton (D-NY)
Dodd (D-CT)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kerry (D-MA)
McCain (R-AZ)

Valiant on May 21, 2007 at 7:30 PM

Wow, Valiant! Answering my question before I can ask it! Thanks, I’m impressed (and ordering the tar and feathers).

rmgraha on May 21, 2007 at 7:32 PM

Not Voting – 8
Biden (D-DE)
Clinton (D-NY)
Dodd (D-CT)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kerry (D-MA)
McCain (R-AZ)

Valiant on May 21, 2007 at 7:30 PM

And McCain misses another important vote…

One he was cussing about yesterday… amazing.

Romeo13 on May 21, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Just was reading the new bill… its worse than I thought.

If you read the section on the new Z visa…

Its for those here… and working…

or…

Those here…

And their parents, and their wives, and their kids….

Romeo13 on May 21, 2007 at 7:39 PM

Smith (R-OR)

This prick’s family fortune is in the frozen food business. Guess who picks all those fruits and vegetables? Every few cents saved in labor costs just serves to line his pockets.

Do you think he worries much about the tens of thousands of Oregonians addicted to methamphetmine? Methamphetamine that is produced and transported by the illegals? (not to mention the DUII and Domestic Violence rates – un-freaking believable!)

Yes, I’m from Oregon, Yes I’ve written, called, e-mailed and faxed – all I get are canned platitudes, and even those don’t come until 2 – 3 months later.

::spits::

Fatal on May 21, 2007 at 7:40 PM

The world as I knew it in southern Fresno County will end not with a bang, but with a smile and a blackberry

VDH on the war, but it applies equally to this bill. Our political/business/media elites no longer care about the future of this country.
The most disconcerting thing about this whole debacle is how shocked D.C. establishment is over the uproar they’ve caused by this little compromise they’ve cooked up.
Can they really be this out of touch?

billy on May 21, 2007 at 7:44 PM

The draft bill everyone is griping about doesn’t mean squat. Senator Kyl mentioned that the first amendment to be offered will be an amendment in the nature of a substitute to replace the text of the draft with the “finished” text. So this could (if possible) get WORSE than it already is. Stay tuned.

brucearmstrong1 on May 21, 2007 at 7:46 PM

How can they be so stupid/stubborn/arrogant? What can we do?

IrishEi on May 21, 2007 at 7:15 PM

The answer is fairly simple. Read one of the threads regarding the Christian wing of the party. Christians should just hold their noses and vote for someone because they are less evil than the democrat option. They know that no one has the stones to vote against them. When the time comes, we’ll be good little boys and girls, hold our nose and pull the lever.

jeffNWV on May 21, 2007 at 7:47 PM

2.3 TRILLION DOLLARS. Thats OUR cost, us , you and me, legal citizens.
But the illegal alien amnesty recipients, well they will be fined heavily, huge, massive, unfair… OH, How much?

$52.00 a month
, for 8 years.

$52.00 dollars a month.

That’s $1.71 a day - half a cup of Starbucks (the little one they call ‘tall’)

BUT AMERICANS WILL PAY $54.79 to have these illegals in America, Each and Every day of the year for decades.

Fifty four Dollars and 79 cents. Every. Day. For. Decades.

You and Me $54.79 daily for decades.

The illegals, their fine is $1.71 a day.

shooter on May 21, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Most of the non-voters are cowards running for prez. Though they would have been Yea votes, they just didn’t want this getting in the way of their campaign message.

Valiant on May 21, 2007 at 7:50 PM

bbz123 on May 21, 2007 at 7:22 PM

Me too bbz, as well as everyone I know. No one cares, and it’s business as usual at the border:

Illegal Shoots Deputy in Face

IrishEi on May 21, 2007 at 7:52 PM

Can they really be this out of touch?

billy on May 21, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Yep. They’re grabbing everything they can before it comes crashing down.

PRCalDude on May 21, 2007 at 7:53 PM

Surprise none of the Dems running for Prez showed up to vote. (That includes McCain)

LakeRuins on May 21, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Allah,

I said one week because that was what Reid said on the floor following the vote on the motion to proceed. I haven’t seen the UC agreement yet, so I’m still tracking the specific details down.

Jack M. on May 21, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Screwed by one from each party.

Your can’t spell TRAITOR without BOTH Republican AND Democrat.

profitsbeard on May 21, 2007 at 8:00 PM

The attitude in Washington really does seem to be that everyone tries to get as big a piece of the pie while they can. Meanwhile the bakery is being sold to Mexico.

Resolute on May 21, 2007 at 8:01 PM

jeffNWV on May 21, 2007 at 7:47 PM

Some will; some won’t. It is the end of any chance of a Republican president or majority in the near future.

Now I’m going to watch my man Jack save the country. No one else in our government seems to care.

IrishEi on May 21, 2007 at 8:02 PM

The world is officially upside down. The US is surrendering on this issue and France refuses to surrender.

No Surrender

William Amos on May 21, 2007 at 8:02 PM

No Surrender

William Amos on May 21, 2007 at 8:02 PM

Yeah. I saw that too. I couldn’t even believe that.

PRCalDude on May 21, 2007 at 8:05 PM

shooter on May 21, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Get with the program!
They’re not illegal aliens or even undocumented workers anymore.
They’re Z-visa holders.

billy on May 21, 2007 at 8:09 PM

I know it’s not a shock, but doesn’t this just beat all?

McCain (R-AZ), Not Voting

Topsecretk9 on May 21, 2007 at 8:21 PM

I think I might have the most to be depressed about…I live in CA…ugh!

We don’thave to vote for the Republicans who support this, we can vote to get them out and other Republicans in…

And another thing… I have been beat up for years because of my support of Bush and this is how I get repaid… I loved MM’s post and picture yesterday…spot on…

I’m soooo depressed :(

CCRWM on May 21, 2007 at 8:23 PM

Yup, CCRWM, I live in the SF area and have stood up to the moonbats for 7 yers now, and I get kicked to the curb like a cigarette butt.I have lost faith in both parties to do what is right for this country and its legal residents.Thet are almost to a man and woman all despicable opportunists out for their own power and glory and all else be damned.

bbz123 on May 21, 2007 at 8:30 PM

I know it’s not a shock, but doesn’t this just beat all?
McCain (R-AZ), Not Voting
Topsecretk9 on May 21, 2007 at 8:21 PM

He didn’t need to vote! He knows more about immigration than anyone in that room!

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Slublog on May 21, 2007 at 8:33 PM

No Surrender

William Amos on May 21, 2007 at 8:02 PM

What better way to tell those would-be illegals to go to the US, it’s easier to sneak in there.

News2Use on May 21, 2007 at 8:44 PM

Here’s an action plan:

Senators will be making many public appearances over the Memorial Day break starting in a week. Let’s respectfully Lindsey Graham every one of them.

Valiant on May 21, 2007 at 9:00 PM

Lindsey Graham has surely made Strom Thurmond roll over and over in his grave. I’m disappointed that one of my senators from NC, Richard Burr, voted FOR cloture. His office will be hearing from me in the morning!

SouthernGent on May 21, 2007 at 9:16 PM

Y’all do see where my boys from AL are representin’? Very proud of Sessions and Shelby.

tdau1997 on May 21, 2007 at 9:23 PM

If an immigration bill becomes law, the industries that wanted it for cheap labor will be living on borrowed time, and so will the American people.

Because as the 12 million become 40 million within a projected 20 years and their political power grows exponentially, the cry of “union” will be heard throughout the land.

So long cheap labor.

Add to this the fact that as soon as the immigration bill is signed, the status of the illegal aliens changes, and they will have immediate access to education, healthcare and a myriad of other social programs putting a tremendous financial burden on the American people.

Hello tax increases.

So, the Congress not heeding “The Law Of Unintended Consequences” once again gives it to the American people in the neck, as Congress has its collective head were the sun doesn’t shine.

pocomoco on May 21, 2007 at 9:27 PM

Not Voting – 8

Not Voting
Biden (D-DE)
Clinton (D-NY)
Dodd (D-CT)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kerry (D-MA)
McCain (R-AZ)
Nelson (D-FL)
Obama (D-IL)

Interesting that McCain and all of the front-runners in the Democratic party didn’t vote.

And the long saga of chickenshit leadership continues.

Why in the world would anyone vote for any of those people?

BacaDog on May 21, 2007 at 9:45 PM

SouthernGent on May 21, 2007 at 9:16 PM

Yeah, I’m real disappointed in Burr as well. I e-mailed and faxed both of them this weekend and today. If you had asked me which one would have rolled over, I would have picked Dole, but she came through. I guess that’s the difference between being up for reelection in 2008 vs. 2010. Burr can go f**k himself.

Dudley Smith on May 21, 2007 at 9:58 PM

Burr is my Senator, too. We will be out in force at any public appearances he makes next week. He might hide fearing a backlash.

Valiant on May 21, 2007 at 10:05 PM

Small Break. Senate puts off immigration action.

Senate leaders agreed Monday that they would wait until June to take final action on a bipartisan plan to give millions of unlawful immigrants legal status.

Give ‘em hell while they’re home. Let them know this is a local problem and how it affects you.

They’ll come back looking for a way to distance themselves from Boosh on this one.

Valiant on May 21, 2007 at 10:20 PM

I am just as sick as everyone else. How can we continue to support these…individuals?? I have an election tomorrow here in Kentucky where I’m going to try and kick out a naive Governor. Dunno what I’m going to for the Presidential race. Really want to hear Fred and or Newt come out strong and many fold against this thing.

What can we do? We can get off our collective arses and take to the streets. Not violent or anything democrat like that…just peaceful but loud protests. Problem is we all work for a living and the mortgage must get paid and the kids must get fed. Gerry Spence wrote a book a few years ago called “From Freedom to Slavery” where he talks about basically the golden handcuff problem. We all get complacent in our search for worldly things and when IMPORTANT things like this come along we just look to “de big house” for answers. Guess we’s all lookin’ at de big house agin…scratchin’ our heds.

Pilgrim on May 21, 2007 at 10:27 PM

Hagel and Nelson, screwed by both parties. I feel so used….

serenity on May 21, 2007 at 10:44 PM

The Republican Party called today, asking for money, I told them NO WAY Jose. I was so angry, the poor hourly wage guy calling must have had to hear from a lot of us. No money from me till they stop being wimps.

StuLongIsland on May 21, 2007 at 11:07 PM

Who voted for these idiots? Oh, some of you voted for them thinking you all teach the politicians a lesson, yeah right, who got the lesson? You suckers who voted them in. Especially the one issue Republicans, if they are not all for something you rather have Ted Kennedy worshipers. The same people voting for Prez, who probably won’t vote for lets say Rudy because of a stand he has, meanwhile Hillary gets in and we get bombed, all because some people more interested in their one issue.

StuLongIsland on May 21, 2007 at 11:11 PM

I just sent stern messages to my Georgia Senators (Chambliss and Isakson), who I thought were tough on illegal immigration. Isakson defended his vote for cloture by saying he reserves final judgement on supporting this bill after the debate / amendment process is complete. He’s already had one immigration ammendment defeated by his colleagues. And things are different now in what way?!
They have just put the democraps one step closer to a windfall of new votes. Lord help us.

common sensineer on May 21, 2007 at 11:22 PM

They’re Z-visa holders.
billy on May 21, 2007 at 8:09 PM

I just can NOT go there. yet. no never.

My state: Colorado
NAYs
Allard (R-CO)

YEAs
Salazar (D-CO)well DUH.

shooter on May 22, 2007 at 12:03 AM

And McCain misses another important vote…

One he was cussing about yesterday… amazing.

Romeo13 on May 21, 2007 at 7:37 PM

McCain is a tool.

As the son of a field picker, I can tell you that the money was better in the 70s when Filipinos (Legal) picked than when the Mexicans unionized and got illegals to pick.

Tim Burton on May 22, 2007 at 12:08 AM

Any advice for us blue-staters who wouldn’t expect anything more than the yeas we got from our senators? I would chime in and say that I feel screwed, but it’s hard to get all emotional on the local level with hopeless leaders like Lautenberg and Menendez. Raising my voice against them would only contribute to global warming by being a waste of steam, after all. /snark

flutejpl on May 22, 2007 at 12:14 AM

Is it called a Z visa to represent the sleepy attitude we as a nation have toward really enforcing our borders?

flutejpl on May 22, 2007 at 12:16 AM

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Yeah, I know…but tacky? No that’s not even the word – somehow GUTLESS maybe?

No matter if this bill passes or not (which I predict it won’t) McCain is dust because of it — the issue is red meat for the Presidential campaign now and McCain is against a wall ,

When it flounders he can’t say his NON vote represents reservations and if it passes and is the primary issue he HAS to defend it. What a WINNING spot!

enter Fred Thompson (who I bet taps Rudy out of the bunch as his running mate)

Take a look at what the dem Presidential senators voted…Dems don’t want Immigration to be a campaign issue.

THAT ROVE, tactical bastard.Bush is a team player – he’s always taken it on the chin.

BTW – Bush does not owe the schmucks in congress anything. They screwed him many a time with their corruptness, etc. (yes dems are corrupt too, only Democrats dig ripping off everyone so much so that reward their corruption)

Topsecretk9 on May 22, 2007 at 12:47 AM

Folks, PLEASE go read the bill…

600,601… the definitions of Z holder…

Z1 part i, anyone here on Jan 1 2007 and working… OR

Part ii, anyone here….

then… Z2, parents over 65 or spouses (not folks here)

then… Z3, children under 18 (not necesarily here)…

Sooo… any adult illegal now could bring in elderly parents, and all children to abuse our hosptials, schools…

I’m betting we got 20 million here now… will be at LEAST 60 million by the time all this is done.

Romeo13 on May 22, 2007 at 2:01 AM

lindsey graham just sunk himself with me. When he comes on to talk with the public, I will turn the channel. Who the hell does he think he is to call us bigots for not supporting this? This has nothing to DO with bigotry you idiot.

WTH is going on with some of these numskull republicans?

I am keeping my eye on Duncan Hunter as well as Tancredo. giuliani put in some support for this effed up bill…he wasn’t my first choice anyway but hopefully this put a nail in his coffin.

The war on terror is 3 fold:
1) don’t let rogue nations have nukes/support democracies that are being hit by terrorists
2) hands down FIRM support of 2nd amendment and
3) STRONG border enforcement…enforce what is on our books now already! Don’t add more beaucracy!

Highrise on May 22, 2007 at 2:38 AM

This is complete and utter b.s. I am totally p.o.’d with Martinez (R-FL) (my senator that voted “Yea”) about this. Has this man ever been to Miami (hell, anywhere in FL)? I live down here in Tallahassee and i’ve been to South FL many of times. If they can’t understand the problem that we’re facing here, then God help us. Pandering to an “illegal” base solves nothing. It’s about time to become Independent – if the GOP refuses to listen to the people that brought them into power. When they stop thinking about voting blocks instead of principles, then I’ll go back to the GOP (hopefully conservative when I do). When I have kids in the near future, I do NOT want them to inherit this calamity of a bill. There is a reason why our founding fathers made this county a REPRESENTATIVE democracy – the base’s opinion should matter.

specialkayel on May 22, 2007 at 2:40 AM

Lamar Alexander, Pete Domenici, and Sam Brownback all voted in favor. Shameful.

Clinton, Kerry, McCain and Obama(?) not voting, also shameful.

These people have all betrayed their oath of office, the first group by ignoring their constituents, the second group by abdicating the role they are elected for, to vote on legislation.

specialkayel, you’re anger is valid, and your point is right on, but this is a representative republic, not democracy. I’m not trying to be petty, it’s a point that needs to be kept in the forefront all the time now. I refuse to give away even semantics to the soc*alists.

Freelancer on May 22, 2007 at 5:42 AM

4 on that list are running for president. We can expect them to tell us where they stand, can we?

dhimwit on May 22, 2007 at 6:35 AM

Burr is hearing from me today, the b!tch.

tickleddragon on May 22, 2007 at 10:18 AM

Valiant on May 21, 2007 at 10:05 PM

If you hear of an event, I’m interested in mobilizing to show (respectful) displeasure to this back-stabbing jacka$$.

I’m in Raleigh.

tickleddragon on May 22, 2007 at 10:32 AM

While I am happy my TX senators got the message from their constituents and seem to be doing the right thing I am still angry and frustrated by this whole process. My fear is that my senators may not be on my side, that they knew cloture would pass so they could vote how I wanted them too…I’m still not convinced they are on my side…do they have no pull with other senators? They should be out in front of the media each and every day lambasting this for what it is…A SELL OUT.

b4itsover on May 22, 2007 at 12:03 PM