Open Thread: Michelle hosts The Factor Update: Video added: Michelle’s Talking Points Memo, Kirsten Powers, Newt Gingrich and Terry Keenan segments all added

posted at 8:29 pm on May 21, 2007 by Bryan

The boss is guest hosting The O’Reilly Factor tonight. We’re about half way in, and she’s turning in a fine performance. Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff, Sen. Lindsay Graham and Rep. Ron Paul all declined to appear on the program tonight, make of that what you will. Follow the links to see what I make of it.

We’ll update with video highlights after the show. Until then and afterward, discuss away!

Update 1: Here’s Michelle’s opening salvo, the Talking Points Memo. She riffed this like it was a Vent, and if Fox doesn’t mind I might just turn it into one.

Update 2: “This is so much fun without Bill!”

Update 3: You’ll probably not hear a more concise destruction of the immigration bill than the one that former House Speaker Newt Gingrich delivered on The Factor tonight.

Update 4: This segment was the closer–Michelle and Fox business analyst Terry Keenan discussing rising gas prices. Good solid economics reporting, no conspiracy theorizing.

Comments

So who did the get to defend amnesty ?

William Amos on May 21, 2007 at 8:33 PM

Heh. Michelle just had Newt on, and she played both the Chertoff clip and the Lindsay Graham “bigots” clip for him. Newt offered to debate Chertoff, Graham, or anybody else that wants to defend that abortion of a bill, anywhere anytime. Something tells me that they won’t be taking him up on his offer. Between the Michelle and Newt I think they tore the pro-amnesty crowd a new sphincter.

ReubenJCogburn on May 21, 2007 at 8:52 PM

So who did the get to defend amnesty ?

William Amos on May 21, 2007 at 8:33 PM

No one. She had some nutty woman who filibustered the segment.

Wade on May 21, 2007 at 8:55 PM

1. Michelle looks mighty purty.

2. Is it just me, or is the Age of Newt looking a lot better in hindsight?

Ali-Bubba on May 21, 2007 at 8:56 PM

Listen up Fox.

Give Michelle her own show!

infidel4life on May 21, 2007 at 9:00 PM

I understand why the first two would wanna hide, but why wouldn’t Ron Paul come on? I mean you think you’d want all publicity when running for the office of President.

Oh, wait, nevermind. I know the answer.

Spirit of 1776 on May 21, 2007 at 9:07 PM

*any and all, excuse me

Spirit of 1776 on May 21, 2007 at 9:08 PM

When they make this a permanent change, I will go back to watching the Factor everyday.

Otherwise, It’s H&C and RedEye for me!

:D

JayHaw Phrenzie on May 21, 2007 at 9:08 PM

Listen up Fox.

Give Michelle her own show!

infidel4life on May 21, 2007 at 9:00 PM

Heck, Shepard Smith has two shows (Neither of which I like anymore), why not give one of his to Michelle?

Jones Zemkophill on May 21, 2007 at 9:08 PM

Michelle’s voice out there gives us hope. I’d be suicidal if the press were like before the Fox era. People are not stupid, they listen…keep going Michelle!

Ropera on May 21, 2007 at 9:26 PM

Michelle rules. So does Newt.

John on May 21, 2007 at 9:28 PM

“Girls get to play” — stop teasing us, ladies!!

Ali-Bubba on May 21, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Good show tonight, Michelle did great as usual.

Patriot33 on May 21, 2007 at 9:29 PM

A pleasant surprise tonight. It was nice to have a discussion about oil prices without BOR around to spout his conspiracy theories and accusing oil company Execs of committing federal crimes. Then he has the nerve to wonder why so many Americans believe in conspiracy theories like 9/11….

On the whole BOR is a positive but I have to keep reminding myself of that…although having come out for this amnesty Bill may have been the last straw for me. We’ll have to wait and see. He had his lunch handed to him yesterday and began to back off his support so there is hope for him yet.

TheBigOldDog on May 21, 2007 at 9:31 PM

I spent several minutes with Michelle tonight. The best time I’ve had today!

She’s a real winner, and deserves her own show on Fox. A career in politics wouldn’t hurt, either.

I noticed she cracked a huge grin (some would probably call it a %^#@eating grin, if you know what I mean) when she talked about the White House referring to Uncle Jimmy as irrelevant. Hilarious.

If we had Michelle in the White House, none of this nonsense would happen.

jaleach on May 21, 2007 at 9:34 PM

Bill,

If you’re on vacation somewhere, I’ll pay for an extra weeks rent if you’ll let Michelle host every night.

BacaDog on May 21, 2007 at 9:34 PM

Tell me about it. I’m old enough to remember the dark ages when all you’d get was the liberal point of view. You couldn’t even find that many books written by conservatives. It’s still not great today, but big changes have come down the pike. How times have changed–Thank God!

jaleach on May 21, 2007 at 9:36 PM

Wow! Michelle, My Hero!

Michelle doesn’t mince words! She exposes the betrayal of the American people for the benefit of special interests with regard to “immigaration reform”. Whether it be Bush pandering to wealthy and corporate short term profits or the Democrats for their pursuit of political power the result is the same: betrayal of the intersts of American citizens.

Wow! Michelle! My Hero!

omegaram on May 21, 2007 at 9:46 PM

2. Is it just me, or is the Age of Newt looking a lot better in hindsight?

Ali-Bubba on May 21, 2007 at 8:56 PM

Well, since I’ve come over to this side, I’ve always liked Newt, don’t know how he’d be as a president, but he’s got some great ideas.

Michelle just gets better and better!

4shoes on May 21, 2007 at 9:54 PM

Bill can take a night off anytime! Papa Bear is gonna have to retire someday…and will need an heir apparent!

As for this “amnesty” thing…as usual, neither party is going to actually enforce the law as it stands now…and yes, there are good, hard working people here, albeit illegally, that I certainly wouldn’t like to see deported…but laws aren’t (or shouldn’t be) enforced on the basis of whether one likes it or not. The law is the law.

Republicans need to grow a spine again. C’mon Fred….RUN!

JetBoy on May 21, 2007 at 9:57 PM

KP rocks. As much as I like Michelle, and I am confident she would excel in a solo host show, I’d like to see Fox put them on in a show together like this. Reasoned cross-party conversation.

Spirit of 1776 on May 21, 2007 at 9:58 PM

Can you put the Newt segment up?

Valiant on May 21, 2007 at 10:02 PM

Can you put the Newt segment up?

Yup, it’s the 3rd update.

Bryan on May 21, 2007 at 10:13 PM

BOR is gonna be bent about that last segment. I expect that spittle will fly….

TBinSTL on May 21, 2007 at 10:19 PM

Thanks Bryan!

Valiant on May 21, 2007 at 10:28 PM

Great show Michelle. I recorded the 24 final episode and watched the Factor instead. I’m happy I did. You’re the best opinion person on the air. Bar none. Well done and looking forward to Tuesday’s Factor.

If we had Michelle in the White House, none of this nonsense would happen.

jaleach on May 21, 2007 at 9:34 PM

She’s got my support and vote, that’s for sure.

As the modern day Thomas Paine, your voice rings true for America. I would wager that both Jimmy Doolittle and Ronald Reagan would be proud to know her.

Zorro on May 21, 2007 at 10:34 PM

I would wager that both Jimmy Doolittle and Ronald Reagan would be proud to know heryou.

Sorry!

Zorro on May 21, 2007 at 10:36 PM

crap I missed it. I’ll have to catch one of the reruns tonight. this may be the best factor in months

Jones Zemkophill on May 21, 2007 at 10:49 PM

You know, you could have just said “Newt!”

Seriously though, it’s really sad that his negatives prevent him from being our candidate. As unelectable as Hillary is, Newt is that much worse when you see the polls on “would you definitely NOT vote for…” polls. Knowing that Hillary will be their candidate, I take comfort in these polls because she’s always right around 50% (and those are just the “definites” out this early), but last I saw I think Newt’s are in the upper 60s or 70s for “definitely would NOT vote for”.

Dare I dream of a Fred!/Newt!/Knut ticket?

RightWinged on May 21, 2007 at 10:58 PM

Just saw Part 1.

Love the [paraphrased] closed-caption effect. A brilliant broadcast stratagem.

RushBaby on May 21, 2007 at 11:00 PM

VERY strong Talking Points memo. I hope people are listening.

mikeyboss on May 21, 2007 at 11:04 PM

Listen up Fox.
Give Michelle her own show!
infidel4life on May 21, 2007 at 9:00 PM

OH Yeah!
Michele is really good at hostessing. And that KP, she is easy on the eyes and good on the brain. Terry was great too. I didn’t watch the show. I super rarely EVAH turn the Tube on. I come here to see the clips of importance (less commercials) and chaw’ on the meat. (shame on your bent minds guys)

Excellent Bryan,just excellent!

auspatriotman on May 21, 2007 at 11:10 PM

Criminal illegal aliens? How repetitiously redundant!

viking999 on May 21, 2007 at 11:26 PM

Thanks for posting the Talking Points, missed them…twice.

Bad Candy on May 21, 2007 at 11:30 PM

The Malkin Factor!

Hannity & Malkin!

The Michelle Malkin & Laura Ingraham Show!

Malkin & Powers!

Fox could always get rid of Greta.

Nice work tonight Michelle.

Tony737 on May 21, 2007 at 11:31 PM

Part 3.

RightWinged on May 21, 2007 at 10:58 PM

RW QUIT EATING STAPLES FOR BREAKFAST. I am sick of your negativity.

RushBaby on May 21, 2007 at 11:31 PM

I am glad to hear some rational discussion on gas prices. My family owns a small oil company and we definelty hear the flack. Everytime our community hears oil companies, collusion, and price goughing in the same sentence the insults get hurled our way. There is a lot of barrels from Exxon and ConocoPhillips to our little company. People don’t realize – but retailers ARE LUCKY to get over a dime a gallon.

SCGOPgirl on May 21, 2007 at 11:45 PM

Michelle’s Talking Points Memo was far more inspiring than Bill’s usually is. I agree that the Boss needs her own show.

baldilocks on May 21, 2007 at 11:47 PM

RW QUIT EATING STAPLES FOR BREAKFAST. I am sick of your negativity.

RushBaby on May 21, 2007 at 11:31 PM

Negativity? Guy, it’s called realism. I’d love it if Newt stood a chance, I’m just talking about how annoying it is that he doesn’t (and that’s before an all out liberal media assault, which would take place if he were in the race). Besides, you ignored the positivity… I believe Hillary will be their nominee, while I believe she’s unelectable. Unless we do something really stupid, I think we’ll keep the presidency, even though I’m not excited about Guiliani, you better believe I’ll be voting for him if it’s between him and Hillary. Some folks may feel good about protesting by not voting and sticking by principles, but for anyone who does that, remember that you’re partly to blame if Hillary does get elected. Sure, we’re screwed either way, but it’s a matter of to what degree.

RightWinged on May 22, 2007 at 12:00 AM

MM doing the TPS memo? And then a KP video.
If I go to hell I’m blaming Bryan for the sin of Onan.

birkel on May 22, 2007 at 12:21 AM

RW – “you’re partly to blame if Hillary does get elected”

Exactly right “ARE DUBYA”. All those Pubs who stayed home in Nov. ’06 are also partly to blame for the dhimmicrats taking over Congress. Did that make any difference? Did the Pubs lean far right because of that? NO! They think the nation is moving LEFT! DUH! Thank you, “PubbieStayHomies”, now we’re gonna let illegals take over the nation, give the dhimmis 12 million new voters and a permenant majority. I SAY AGAIN: YOU GAVE A MAJORITY TO THE PARTY THAT WANTS TO SURRENDER TO THE JIHADIS! Go buy your mom, sister, wife and daughter each a brand new burqa!

OR, we can wake the hell up and elect REAL Pubbies in ’08, build a wall and fight the hajjis!

Tony737 on May 22, 2007 at 12:22 AM

Me thinks Newt’s a runnin’ in ’08.

I prefer Fred!

Better Fred! than dead.

omnipotent on May 22, 2007 at 12:33 AM

As much as people yammer about the polarization of the discourse, Michelle and KP are a match made in heaven. What’s not to like? I mean–fair, balanced, and plenty of sex appeal as well. Get with it Fox.

smellthecoffee on May 22, 2007 at 12:37 AM

BTW, Fantastic work Michelle!!
You ROCK!

omnipotent on May 22, 2007 at 12:37 AM

Where is Super Fred! to save us?

Tim Burton on May 22, 2007 at 12:43 AM

Another great hosting gig, Michelle.

I especially enjoyed your segment on Rep. Ron Perot Paul and the Student Scholars for 9/11 Truth. Particularly the following comment…“the proper response should be ‘bug off’ “…..LOL….Exactly.

Unfortunately, even this probably won’t be enough to cool the True Conservative Soul™ fever swamps who seem determined to support this crackpot.

I also wonder if those True Conservative Souls™ who demanded your recent retraction would now themselves be willing to admit that Ron Paul is no longer a viable candidate for the GOP. Hey, it could happen! (monkeys + butt = fly)

Inevitably, you and Kirsten will probably have you share of Paul-supporter hate mail to sort through in the morning.

The Ugly American on May 22, 2007 at 12:48 AM

She gets better each time she does this, doesn’t she?

Great job.

Bob's Kid on May 22, 2007 at 1:01 AM

Tony737 on May 22, 2007 at 12:22 AM

Spot on, all the way through. And while I do believe it will be Giuliani vs. Hillary, and Giuliani will win (if people don’t stay home to prove a point, in turn actively helping Hillary win), but it really won’t matter much in the long run. The immigration bill is going to make or break us, and at this point it looks like it’s going to break us. I’m just confused why there isn’t some effort by a group like Move America Forward or something to get a rally in DC to attempt to stop this thing. We saw the turnout for the pro-troop rally a few months back, shouldn’t we be able to get something like that going? I said this in another thread, but I’ll repeat: I’m not saying we need to go lefty style protesting with vandalism, ski masks, rock throwing, anarchy, etc. But I do think it would be a good idea to rally millions of people to DC, surround Capitol Hill, even if it means screwing up traffic etc. and essentially say “we’re not leaving until you kill this bill!”. We need to demand border security first, not wiggle room. Then we need tough laws and a crackdown on employers. Once this is all in place, we can deal with those that are here. The touchback can be part of it, and while I recognize how impossible it would be to collect back taxes, I think we should simply hit them with a 2 to 3 times higher tax rate, and prevent them from ever having access to social security/medicare (but still make them pay). They’re sending most of their take home pay back to Mexico as it is, and this is simply cutting in to Mexico’s profit.. it’s incentive to fix their own crappy country. Now, one might argue “but if they see they’re going to have to pay that much in taxes, they’ll just stay in the shadows”…. Well first of all, who’s to say they won’t anyway? But more importantly, we know we can’t deport 12 million, it’s just ridiculous. And this is also where the crackdown on employers comes in to play. Also, for those here who are allowed to stay (but paying the higher taxes) they should never be allowed actual citizenship and there should be a provision preventing them from ever being allowed to vote… why should people who illegally snuck in to the country be allowed to vote in its elections? Go home and vote less corrupt people in your own!

RightWinged on May 22, 2007 at 1:02 AM

If Michelle get her own show won’t this blog go?

EricPWJohnson on May 22, 2007 at 1:04 AM

EricPWJohnson on May 22, 2007 at 1:04 AM

I don’t know who AP is, but I’m pretty sure he isn’t Michelle. :)

Spirit of 1776 on May 22, 2007 at 1:18 AM

Michelle makes the show more dynamic and sensible.

No, this blog will not go away if Michelle gets a show; at least I hope not.

Entelechy on May 22, 2007 at 1:45 AM

Death wish is right, Michelle. That’s usually the sign of an incurable illness (like the Left has always had). I’d call it “compassion creep” infecting the GOP to such an extent that the drug of political correctness – in a new improved Republican bottle – overwhelms judgment and, especially, the willpower needed to sober up.

One could throw up one’s hands and wish a pox on both houses, but the possibility of a Democrat winning in 2008 and declaring surrender against the Islamofascist jihad (their current death wish) isn’t one we can let happen. I don’t know – the tectonic plates are shifting too fast for me to intuit what the solution to this is.

Halley on May 22, 2007 at 1:53 AM

RightWinged on May 22, 2007 at 1:02 AM

You know that the media will take any such ‘demonstration’ ad make it into Something Evil This Way Comes, with scary music and exaggerated stats and endless talking heads spouting endless Talking Points about ‘extremism’, etc etc

Imagine the Worst: the MSM will make it happen, and beam it into every news broadcast for weeks. It will be ‘Beer Hall Putsch 2007′

Janos Hunyadi on May 22, 2007 at 1:55 AM

I generally favor a more open immigration policy. But this bill is so bad, that it makes me want a policy of full deportation.

JeffB. on May 22, 2007 at 2:48 AM

Sorry I missed it! Thanks for puting up the clips Bryan!

Michelle was even more ‘superb-er’ than usual.

Newt was great.

Chertoff, Graham and Paul were wise not to appear.

One question though…. Who is that O’Reilly person you all keep mentioning?

LegendHasIt on May 22, 2007 at 4:43 AM

Malkin & Powers. Yep, that’d get me to tune in.

Shep Smith…I say your timeslots are up for grabs.

Malpaso on May 22, 2007 at 9:03 AM

Michelle is getting better each time she appears. I like her best when she laughs aloud at the silly crap her guests say. She had the presidential historian in stiches a few times.

csdeven on May 22, 2007 at 9:07 AM

I’m not among the “give Michelle her own show, Fox!” crowd at this point, but you’ve got to admit — nothing would expose the Fever Swamp Haters as fast as that.

Can you just imagine the venom that would spew out of DU if that lady were on Fox every night? Worth it, if only for that. Olberdouche HairHelmet would instantly have nothing else to talk about.

Jaibones on May 22, 2007 at 9:20 AM

Oh, and great show. Newt’s “anywhere, any time” debate challenge sent shivers up my spine. I salivate at the thought of what Newt would do to that f**king pansy Lindsay Graham in a staged debate on illegal aliens.

As for Michael Jerkoff, he is yet another very troubling example of the kinds of asswipes that Bush has placed in important government positions. Great job, Mikey.

Jaibones on May 22, 2007 at 9:29 AM

Cheers to living vicariosly through MM and KP!

Good Stuff!

Lawrence on May 22, 2007 at 9:38 AM

Nice job from Michelle. I especially liked the KP segment. It’s nice to hear cross-party debate that’s reasonable and not laced with name calling.

Farmer_Joe on May 22, 2007 at 9:39 AM

(ring ring ring) Hello?

Ron Paul?

Hi, this is the producer at Fox News, would you like to be on the O’Reilly factor?

Yeah, that’d be excellent! I’d love chance to explain my position and get some name recognition!

Great! We’ll see ya tomorrow night then. Oh, and Michelle Malkin will be hosting.

WHAT??? (click)

Hello? Mr. Paul? Hello? Chickensh*t.

Tony737 on May 22, 2007 at 9:49 AM

Great show last night, I watched it twice. Newt is such a great voice of reason. I wish he or Fred Thompson would hurry-up and put their hats in the ring.

If this bill passes, I wonder how many Duka Brothers (the one’s Chertoff and Bush have never mentioned) will be given legal status?

moonsbreath on May 22, 2007 at 10:04 AM

Ok, this post did it. I’ve crossed the line. I’m now so into Michelle that I’m willing to stalk her if she’ll move to Louisiana. Plus, she’ll have to move next door (the house is for sale!). Also, she’ll have to call me to let me know where she’s going, because I’m unwilling to stake out her house. Plus it will have to be after work hours, ’cause the boss hates it when I take off for no reason.

Other than those trivial rules, I’m stalking Michelle Malkin!

Kevin M on May 22, 2007 at 10:24 AM

So if we deport every single illegal immigrant, will the unemployment rate drop to -5%?

Seixon on May 22, 2007 at 10:25 AM

Oh, and not to carry the flag for Ron Paul, but the cover-ups he might have been referring to could have involved cover-ups concerning Saudi Arabia……

There is an awful lot about Saudi Arabia that has been kept mum, classified, and blacked-out. Read the book See No Evil and see for yourself how things apparently about Saudi Arabia are kept on the down low. There’s an obvious reason why (we likey their oily) but it’s there for inquiring minds.

Seixon on May 22, 2007 at 10:30 AM

Here’s the no response email I received from Saxby Chambliss to my complaint about the “Zamnesty” bill.

Saxby Chambliss

Thank you for contacting me to share your thoughts about immigration reform. I appreciate knowing your thoughts on this important and emotional issue.

Our current immigration system is broken and needs reform. Any reform Congress enacts must meet our national security needs and our economic interests; it must also manage the number of people we admit into the U.S. to ensure American workers and families are not negatively impacted by our immigration system.

The recently announced bipartisan agreement on immigration reform is a step in the right direction toward reaching a final and comprehensive immigration bill. This legislation is a significant improvement over last year’s bill, which I opposed, but this is not a perfect bill. For me to support any final bill, it must contain the following principles that are important to Georgians:

Strong border security before any new immigration programs go into effect in order to prevent future illegal immigration

An employer verification system that can provide employers certainty with respect to the status of potential employees

A meaningful temporary worker program that is truly temporary and does not provide a pathway to citizenship while allowing employers to fill jobs for which insufficient numbers of American can be found, such as agricultural jobs

No amnesty

Our nation’s immigration problem has been in the making for many years and there is no easy fix. I have chosen to be proactive and engaged during the negotiations because my involvement is the right thing for Georgia and the right thing for America ‘s future. As the debate progresses, I will continue the fight to ensure that our nation is secure and our economy continues to thrive.

If you would like to receive timely email alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web site at: http://www.chambliss.senate.gov . Please do not hesitate to be in touch if I may ever be of assistance to you

moonsbreath on May 22, 2007 at 10:51 AM

Yeah, I’m still not buying the “Ron Paul is a Truther” line (defining “Truther” as someone who thinks 9/11 was an inside job). We know there were 9/11 coverups or omissions. Great swaths of the 9/11 commission report were blacked out. That doesn’t mean that it was an inside job, just that we’re not getting the whole story. Seixon makes a good point regarding Saudi Arabia.

Mark Jaquith on May 22, 2007 at 10:55 AM

Kirsten Powers is too logical, well mannered and attractive to be a democrat. Any chance she’s a Conservative plant?

darwin on May 22, 2007 at 12:07 PM

69-23, how long before “the gloating” begins?

I get the feeling that our wonderful legislators actually thought we would enjoy this latest shafting.

We all know the enforcement won’t happen and the goody bag will be opened wide.

The United States Senate, voting the foreign national platform since 1965.

I guess the next election cycle could very interesting.

Speakup on May 22, 2007 at 12:18 PM

The Malkin Factor!

Hannity & Malkin!

The Michelle Malkin & Laura Ingraham Show!

Malkin & Powers!

Fox could always get rid of Greta.

Nice work tonight Michelle.

Tony737 on May 21, 2007 at 11:31 PM

Malkin and Powers would certainly be better than Hannity and Colmes, not just for the eye candy factor, but even more for the substance.

My only fear is that Powers, by being a reasonable human being, gives a falsely good impression of the current liberal movement.

thirteen28 on May 22, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Michelle is definitely in her element on this talk show format. “The square peg in the square hole.”

And a tag-team with Kirsten makes it even better. If FOX won’t arrange for Bill O’Reilly to encounter a “tragic accident” on his way back to the studio, then perhaps they can arrange for a similar kind of “unfortunate disappearance” for Hannity and Colmes?

More Michelle, please.

Spurius Ligustinus on May 22, 2007 at 2:59 PM

I enjoy listening to Michelle. She is very bright, articulate, smart, creative, calm, doesn’t let people push her around.

With that said, I WANT FOX to give Michelle her own show, but I’m not sure the way O’reilly’s show is set up is the best way to showcase her talent. I can’t put my finger on it exactly I just know the format that she did with Kirstin Powers that one time…was more fun. Of course Kirstin Powers doesn’t hold a candle to Michelle but is less moonbatish than most dems and I can atleast listen to her sometimes.

Highrise on May 22, 2007 at 4:07 PM