Michelle talks about the First Amendment, Part 2

posted at 8:52 am on May 21, 2007 by Bryan

Part 2 of Michelle’s First Amendment Education Week speech at Loyola Marymount University.

Download for your iPod

Related Posts:

Breaking on Hot Air

Very powerful. Too bad the protesters missed the part they needed to hear the most.

aunursa on May 21, 2007 at 9:05 AM

Worth the wait. Terrific speech from the Boss

Wade on May 21, 2007 at 9:07 AM

As I am an academic, Michelle’s message really hit home. Unfortuntely, academia is now the least tolerant institution in the U.S. Even fundamentalist churches allow more discussion and dissent on doctrine than universities do on political matters. Worse, universities, which are supposed to promote Western values, the right to informed public dissent being among the most precious, are actively engaged in subverting them. They will be the first victims if the Islamo-Nazis ever succeed in taking over, ironic indeed in light of their enabling behaviors.

ptolemy on May 21, 2007 at 9:23 AM

Great speech. Thanks for your posting it. It’s a message that everyone needs to hear.

azdan on May 21, 2007 at 9:30 AM

Great speech and precisely what needs to be done at today’s colleges and universities. It definitely takes courage to enter these bastions of intolerance and speak the truth.

darwin on May 21, 2007 at 9:35 AM

Nobody kicks liberal ass like Michelle. Bravo.

Privatestock on May 21, 2007 at 9:47 AM

Sweet!

Drtuddle on May 21, 2007 at 10:03 AM

Michelle, that was an excellent speech and it is truly unfortunate that the group of “tolerant students” left before the most important part. I keep hearing from friends of mine with kids in college that this seems to be the norm except for one friend who has a son at the University of Alabama. This trend truly scares me. I thought it was bad in the early 80’s when I was in school but it seems much worse. Now these clowns who were just the GAs are the full profs yapping about their “glory days of marching against the subversive government”.
Ptolemy, it must be interesting be in your position. I would guess it’s almost impossible to be a conservative on campus in a teaching position.
It’s almost impossible today to carry on a conversation with a liberal without them resorting to calling one a facist, nazi, being accused of wanting members of the military to be killed; I could go on but I’m sure many of you have run into the same types of people.
So, who was on before you, Michelle? Who was riding around in the Gulfstream? Enquiring minds want to know-more examples of the do as we say libs not as we do.
Entelechy, it must be nice to get on one of those. Think about me stuck in coach with two stinky people next to me next time in you’re in one! :) (Seriously, flew to Chicago this weekend for my cousin’s wedding and that was how the trip up there went. Getting ready to go back to O’Hare now and wonder what the return flight will bring me!)
Have a nice day, all.

Catie96706 on May 21, 2007 at 10:18 AM

Excellent. Excellent. Excellent.

infidel4life on May 21, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Michelle,
The time we live in today, makes the truth you speak all that more powerful, courageous and most of all necessary.
Your speech was moving to say the least. You are much needed in this world at this time. You ARE one of my heroes.

A poem that seems to fit the protestors well

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
Winston Churchill

abinitioadinfinitum on May 21, 2007 at 10:27 AM

Was there a Q&A session after the speech? It would be interesting to hear that as well.

I was lucky when I went to the University of Texas because I was in the College of Business. Most of my professors were fairly conservative, relatively speaking. But like all business students, I had to take some liberal arts courses. I had to take an English writing component – we had to watch “Drugstore Cowboy” and write a paper on its “deeper meaning.” What a waste of my time. That prof was off her rocker, to say the least. I just held my nose and wrote what she wanted to hear, only to get a decent grade. How sad.

Now, I even have to correct my elementary school-aged daughter’s indoctrination. And we are in a private school!!!!! Home schooling is sounding more and more appealing, if only to get away from the liberal bent that ALL schools have these days.

pullingmyhairout on May 21, 2007 at 10:46 AM

I was moved by that speech. I don’t know how anyone could argue the truth in it.

4shoes on May 21, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Dhimmicrats take note. How here’s a patriot for you. Define: Patriot, one who loves and defends his or her country.

KCtheKat on May 21, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Now Michelle, that’s just not fair you know!
Setting up those poor protestors like that and using their own behaviour as an example.

(guffaw)

KCSteve on May 21, 2007 at 11:01 AM

Once again Michelle you’ve done a superb job, if only you could have spoken at my commencement speech at Texas A&M!! Instead of a real conservative we got some some leftist from CNN by the name of Rolando Santos who ranted on about gorebull warming, unfair immigration policies and misguided wars, the usual anti-Bush rant. It would have been far more enlightening if you had been there. Despite being known as a conservative university there are a few misguided libs that could definitely use your help and I can guarantee that no one would have been so disrespectful as to walk out of your speech.

Pestilence on May 21, 2007 at 11:13 AM

KCtheKat on May 21, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Or, maybe:

Define: Patriot, one who loves and defends his or her country.

Lawrence on May 21, 2007 at 11:22 AM

What an awesome speech. The summary of what happens to journalists in other countries who don’t enjoy our free speech protections was very powerful. I hope it got through to some of those people. Well done.

austinnelly on May 21, 2007 at 11:41 AM

I hope you put the whole speech up on YouTube and here on HA so that it can get the widest possible distribution in one shot. It’s an important speech that must be shared widely and each of us can help make that happen by posting links elsewhere.

TheBigOldDog on May 21, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Very nice.

csdeven on May 21, 2007 at 11:52 AM

Nicely done Michelle

So protestors or whatnot nobody disturbed your speech? Wow

Defector01 on May 21, 2007 at 11:53 AM

Brilliant, Malkin.

Halley on May 21, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Well done!!! I loved it when you put on the t-shirt!! Michelle for President!!

ChrisIansNana on May 21, 2007 at 12:06 PM

I dunno. I’ll play devil’s advocate here, since the comments this far seem to think more of Michelle’s speech than I did.

The laundry list of foreign lands where freedom of the press is lacking took away from the power of the message. If the topic of the speech was the First Amendment, the question that kept coming to mind was, “Aren’t these foreign countries that she’s referring to?”

Our Constitution is irrelevant outside our borders. Ergo, so what if there’s no free speech in Sudan? Or Bangladesh? Or Egypt? So what if the prevailing attitude of physical and moral cowardice in Europe is eroding free speech there?

Tell me something I don’t already know.

Too little and too late came the part that had real relevance: the increasing hostility to free speech on our own college campuses. Michelle could’ve substituted the “Who cares?” litany of foreign examples with as many or more examples of how liberal college administrators and their student sympathizers right here in this country are actively working to convert our university system into a hermitically-sealed haven for left-wing orthodoxy.

That would’ve hit home, especially for a collection of smug, liberal college students who have little or no appreciation for what freedom of expression in general and the First Amendment in particular are really about.

Bottom line: A missed opportunity to deliver a really great and on-topic speech.

My only other quibbles are stylistic:

1. Prepare better. Like the last video of a speech I saw Michelle give, she spent too much time looking down and reading her speech instead of giving it. Every time you do that, it dilutes a little more of your message.

2. Get out from behind the podium. Podiums are an excellent way to place a mental and physical barrier between the speaker and the audience; they serve no other real purpose. This goes doubly so when speaking to an audience that’s already inclined to be unreceptive to your message. And for someone as petite as Michelle, a podium not only subjectively tends to block the message, it literally blocks the messenger.

Anyway, if Michelle reads these comments, I trust she’ll take them in the constructive spirit in which they are intended. I take a back seat to no one when it comes to being a fan and admirer, which is why it saddens me so to see her throwing tennis balls when she could be pitching hardballs.

Spurius Ligustinus on May 21, 2007 at 12:34 PM

Making the kid stand up. That was b—sy. As was the T-shirt.

Great, informative speech.

John on May 21, 2007 at 12:43 PM

The speach was brilliant and beautiful.

Contrary to Spurius, I think asking “Who are the extremists?” is exactly the correct question. Shaking people’s confidence in their own position, is required before they will consider adopting a new view as their own.

But getting out from behind the podium couldn’t hurt. You can always walk back behind it.

Finally, I hope some of us find opportunities to send people links to these excellent Vents.

doufree on May 21, 2007 at 12:48 PM

You may know all of those things about which Michelle spoke because you (and I and many others here) read everything that she writes. To us, it may be a rehashing of yesterday’s news. To those college students, it is another matter altogether. It’s probably the first time they’ve heard these things, and they DO need to hear them. To us, it never hurts to review knowledge as her words will give us more words in which we can defend our own beliefs. In that light, I still give kudos for a job very well done.

The irony is that, after those students left, they missed words with which they surely would have agreed maybe as much as 90%.

Frankly, I think that the lectern is necessary for self-defense these days. If I were 5’1″ in this risky environment, I’d never leave it. Sure, Michelle would do well speaking like Elizabeth Dole. I’m not sure it’s safe, though.

flutejpl on May 21, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Sounds like someone who walked out because they knew it all or thinks they do.

Wade on May 21, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Be sure to let us all know the next time you’ll be giving a major speech in front of a hostile audience, where you are wondering if you’ll be physically attacked on stage, so that we can all show up and see how a real master handles such a speech.

TheBigOldDog on May 21, 2007 at 1:46 PM

I thought getting the T-shirt was also smart just in case – no need to get your own apparel glopped up with pie or whatever when they’ll give you a nice, disposable cover garment.

KCSteve on May 21, 2007 at 2:35 PM

Once at the University of Michigan (A^2) I witnessed an attack on a “controversial religious person” by leftists.

This person was in the bathroom washing off the cake on his face and protest sign. He also appeared bruised. This person was gearing up for round two.

This person may not have had the message that you prefer but he did have his rights that allowed him to offer it.

When I tell this story I’m often immediately asked “Who was this person (* eagerness in their tone – almost angry – recall “controversial religious person”)”.

My stomach usually drops when I’m asked – why should someone ask an inane Q?

I usually respond “it doesn’t matter, does it?”

This person was a person that worked for Phelps or it was Phelps himself. At the time I wasn’t too familiar with the name Phelps.

What hapless souls that attacked Phelps or his following that day.

Nonetheless, we should all have an ability to speak freely.

ar_basin on May 21, 2007 at 3:04 PM

BTW, great Vent

ar_basin on May 21, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Wade on May 21, 2007 at 1:25 PM

– ??

TheBigOldDog on May 21, 2007 at 1:46 PM

No need to get so touchy…

First of all, if an audience member is set upon doing physical violence to you, then the podium isn’t going to make any real difference. In this instance, though, it seems that the resident lefties had already made their intentions clear that a walk-out was planned instead of an assault.

But that’s rather beside the point.

My basic intent remains that of constructive criticism from one who has given several prepared as well as extemporaneous speeches before small and large audiences, and who has successfully given persuasive presentations in courtroom adversarial proceedings.

I won’t call myself “a real master,” but I know something of which I write.

Having now seen two videos of Michelle giving a formal speech, certain things jump out at me that I’d wager aren’t apparent to those who watched the same video and simply say, “awesome,” “great,” “terrific,” “powerful,” “courageous,” “brilliant,” “excellent,” “moving” etc.

Yes, she was good … but she wasn’t that good.

Again, don’t get me wrong here. One can make suggestions for improvement and still be on “your” side. Michelle is an accomplished writer as well as public speaker – the latter especially in free-wheeling, give-and-take formats. Those who have seen her on O’Reilly’s program, or who have watched her “Vents,” know this.

And anyone who can keep her poise and continue when audience members pull a stupid stunt in the middle of her speech has undeniable moxie.

She doesn’t seem as comfortable in set-piece speeches, though, and that is where my observations are directed. She’s good … she can get better.

Spurius Ligustinus on May 21, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Wow. Very nice.

Frankly, the whole bit with the loony leftists walking out just made the speech that much more effective. It was actually a wonderful dramatic device, emphasizing the true meaning of free speech in a way no mere words could match.

If I didn’t know better, I’d think Michelle had paid the liberals to work that hard to prove her point …

Professor Blather on May 21, 2007 at 4:17 PM

it was a nice speech, and the items said were and are certainly worth saying.

Michelle is refreshing and wonderful and may the Good Lord Bless her and keep her.

That being said, I see nothing wrong with Spurius “Constructive criticisms”. We all could use a little constructive critcism from time to time. Otherwise we only become more like the intolerant left.

MarkB on May 21, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Very well done!

Kini on May 21, 2007 at 5:15 PM

Michelle,

All I can say is, good job, Young Lady.

nafku on May 21, 2007 at 6:39 PM

I believe Ptolemy’s comments added emphasis to MM’s oft repeated question: Woe to you, pinhead academics in your ivory towers. Just remember folks. Your tax dollars are paying for their sedition and subversion. The pinhead academics have a right to say what they say, but you are not required to pay for it.

Great finish, MM. Whatever they’re paying you….it ain’t enough.

locomotivebreath1901 on May 21, 2007 at 6:50 PM

We all could use a little constructive criticism from time to time.

This is very true. Practicing in front of the video camera always helped me.

But Michelle hit a home run with the content of the speech in my view. The fact that those foreign countries do not have our 1st (or 2nd) amendments is pointless. Personal freedom of speech is protected here but those leftist “I hate America” professors view that fact as an inconvenient truth. For those young skulls full of mush to go through their college experience believing that President Bush would/has suppressed their freedom of speech because those old burned out hippie half wits said so, well, that needs to be countered. Michelle did just that.

Zorro on May 21, 2007 at 7:10 PM

Michelle,
I hope you will post a followup regarding any feedback you get from Loyola. What did their campus newspaper say about your speech? Did any professors or administrators contact and congratulate you? Or did they condemn you?

Somehow I doubt if you will get any positive response. It would be great if you got a letter saying, “We here at Loyala realize we have been intolerant towards conservative points of view and effective immediately, we are going to turn that around.”

“We here at Loyola realize that we have been guilty in the crime of sitting back and allowing atrocities to take place around the world as we have sat back and said or done nothing. From now on we will lead the way in exposing violence against those who try to tell the truth about radial Islam or defend Israel.”

“We at Loyola will lead a national outcry and demand that right-wing speakers can speak without being attacked or shouted down.”

THAT would be a most satisfying post and I hope you will be able to write something like that.

Michelle, thanks again for fighting for the First Amendment rights of ALL people, I pray you woke some liberals up.

flagwaver on May 21, 2007 at 7:29 PM

Excellent Michelle, this is you at your best.

Dash on May 21, 2007 at 7:56 PM

OT – your hair looks good on The Factor tonight, MM!

Tru2my2 on May 21, 2007 at 8:03 PM

you realize don’t you that American journalists go to these various countries and report the news of what is going on in various countries? You realize that they parrot the line, and we don’t get facts of what is going on, and the true threat to our way of life?

pabo on May 21, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Moving Michelle. Thank you. Too bad all attending didn’t stay and listen. (listen=new concept)

oakpack on May 21, 2007 at 9:13 PM

Great Vent, Great Speech Michelle!

Points very much on the mark, and very much against the grain of the politically correct. Much of higher “education”, funded by taxpayers, has turned into a method to politically indoctrinate students to the “correct thinking” of the Left. I applaud your efforts to bring this to light.

omegaram on May 21, 2007 at 9:31 PM

Very powerful, very relevant, and very well done, Michelle. Certainly worth waiting a coupla days for. Funny, but the two halves of the speech were so different.

The Krazy Kos Kids who left early… were they on your payroll or something? Because your powerful oratory with their ridiculous symbolism was such a meaningful juxtaposition….. Can’t script that kind of stuff any better.

Beautifully done, “Firecracker”. ;-)

HerrMorgenholz on May 21, 2007 at 9:49 PM

MICHELLE, YOU ARE POETRY IN MOTION!

This Part II was DEFINITELY worth waiting for.

But, then again, you are worth waiting for.

The False Dervish on May 21, 2007 at 9:57 PM

Excellent, excellent job. The second half was even better than the first. And good for you for resisting some cheap parting shot as the anal-ocularly inverted early departers took their leave. “Re-runs on the Playboy channel, eh boys? By all means–we’ll muddle along without you.” That would have been me, and it would have diminished the dignity of the noble cause you spoke so well in defense of. So all praise is due for what you did, and did not say.

smellthecoffee on May 22, 2007 at 12:22 AM

“That is not an atrocity, that is a blessing” – the entire speech was great – the ending was fantastic. Even the clapping.

Catie, I got on them repeatedly because the corporation I worked for owned them and encouraged us to take them, whenever it was feasible. I fly commercially a lot and it doesn’t bother me one way or another.

MM used it as an example, I believe, to rib the hypocritical Gore & Co. for flying them privately, while lecturing us to save. At least that’s what I believe it was. I also don’t know who spoke ahead, or if that was meant for anyone of those speakers.

Entelechy on May 22, 2007 at 1:29 AM

Wow, just wow.

– The Cat

MirCat on May 22, 2007 at 3:57 AM

Well done Michelle. I hope our “tolerant” liberal friends get the message…. but I doubt it. I pity them actually.

Yakko77 on May 23, 2007 at 3:04 PM

Ma’am,

I thought you did very well. I applaud your comments, your convictions, and your “Malkins”.

Please be careful. We need more of your voice out there. I fear that you may be getting so visible, and so potent a force for Good and Principle in this country, that you will be targeted specifically because you are what is most dangerous to the forces of intolerance in this country.

A minority woman with a brain and an opinion which doesn’t follow whatever the Left insists is the outrage of the day.

Of course, perhaps I give them too much credit. They are all Cowards anyway. Who amongst them would have the Malkins to actually carry out a physical attack on you?

Anyone who was demented enough to believe that wiping Israel off the face of the map is an action worthy of serious pursuit, ma’am.

Be careful. I value your voice highly amongst the Angels who Defend the Home of the Brave.

Subsunk

Subsunk on May 23, 2007 at 5:34 PM