Video: Candidates come clean on “Oprah”

posted at 7:25 pm on May 20, 2007 by Allahpundit

From last night’s SNL. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess, based on how easily she gets off here, that Smigel’s a Hillary supporter.

Not sure what’s going on with the audio but you may need to turn up the sound. It’s really shoddy. Click the image to watch.

funhouse2.jpg

Comments

I disagree. Hillary in this skit, much like in the south park episode, was essentially invisible and not part of the conversation and was totally irrelevant. That’s what I got out of it.

lorien1973 on May 20, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Interesting… it could have been a lot funnier with more of her, especially sense her voice was the best. Most voices weren’t that good, McCain’s wasn’t bad, but Hillary’s was spot on, and I’m surprised how little it was featured.

RightWinged on May 20, 2007 at 7:57 PM

That one was actually funny. The best line, “I just did that.”

Hillary’s was spot on

RightWinged on May 20, 2007 at 7:57 PM

In all honesty, I wouldn’t be surprized if that really was her.

- The Cat

MirCat on May 20, 2007 at 8:08 PM

cranura on May 20, 2007 at 8:11 PM

I couldn’t access it on the NBC site – YouTube version here. The sound is slightly weird on this one, as well.

Slublog on May 20, 2007 at 8:18 PM

I agree Hillary got off easy but in a way they did capture the fact she thinks she has no flaws, as I read in a previous post.
It was the interview with some of air force ones crew and staff when they served Hill and Bill.

abinitioadinfinitum on May 20, 2007 at 8:21 PM

I’ve been a broad my whole life and I didn’t think it was very funny either.

BJ* on May 20, 2007 at 8:24 PM

I’ve been a man and find you juvenile and sad.
Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

TBinSTL on May 20, 2007 at 8:36 PM

I’ve been a broad my whole life

Heh. Me, too. I thought it was hilarious, however.

baldilocks on May 20, 2007 at 8:41 PM

4shoes on May 20, 2007 at 8:45 PM

So, when does the “funny” start? Oh, yeah, this is from SNL.

Talking about the audio, is that really audience laughter or canned?

kevcad on May 20, 2007 at 8:58 PM

cranura

I think Smigel’s trying to be informative. Like, if McCain were ever to encounter a man who may or may not be of ambiguous sexuality who also treated his wives and dog badly, McCain would definitely have a conniption and karate-chop that dude.
That or else it’s just that Smigel always wanted to make a little Gladiator movie.

Stephen M on May 20, 2007 at 9:12 PM

>This is not humor

Yes it is.

>it is a very juvenile

It is also that.

>sad attempt at ridicule.

I think it’s a happy attempt at ridicule.

Doghouse on May 20, 2007 at 9:19 PM

Doghouse,

I agree, this is not humor. Sick, sick, sick. This is why I don’t watch SNL or Southpark. Juvenile, sick “humor.”

Neocon Peg on May 20, 2007 at 9:32 PM

I laughed twice.

sarahk on May 20, 2007 at 9:41 PM

cranura on May 20, 2007 at 8:11 PM

Thanks for educating us yokels.

John from WuzzaDem on May 20, 2007 at 10:03 PM

Isn’t it racist that the cartoon Osama Obama is sitting closest to the cartoon Oprah Uma Oprah?

Otherwise, Jonathan Swift is still Dean.

And these squibs are plebes.

profitsbeard on May 20, 2007 at 11:00 PM

I thought it was funny even the Hillary part. Typical of contemporary politicians each candidate tries to out pander each other to score points. Assuming they perceive Oprah’s audience to be of degenerate mentality sort of like Jerry Springer’s. Hillary’s painted on smile and terse answer was telling.

sonnyspats1 on May 20, 2007 at 11:04 PM

How was the rest of the show? My wife is a Zach Braff fan, so it’s on TiVo. However, we haven’t watched it yet. Should we bother or should she watch it with with the sound off?

DSkinner on May 20, 2007 at 11:44 PM

I laughed and it wasn’t the end of civilization. So there.

JimRich on May 20, 2007 at 11:54 PM

DSkinner on May 20, 2007 at 11:44 PM
Zach’s opening monolog was outstanding. A couple of the skits were querky (kinky). Man on drag queen kissing and a man on dog french kiss. I guess he was looking to stretch the comedy envelope by todays standards. No exactly family fare,unless your married to Rosanne Barr

sonnyspats1 on May 21, 2007 at 12:07 AM

Gore “Aaaa eat, look and sound laak cardboard. Aaaa am cardboard”.

Entelechy on May 21, 2007 at 1:28 AM

cranura on May 20, 2007 at 8:11 PM

No, you’re not humor! And you’re a very juvenile and sad attempt at ridicule! Ha!

Seriously though, I disagree. I do think Saturday Night Live sucks 99% of the time now though. The show is extremely pathetic in recent years, but they do come up with the occasional funny bit, and I think this was one of them.

RightWinged on May 21, 2007 at 2:45 AM

I watched SNL for the first time in quite a while last night and was pretty much underwhelmed. The only thing i remembered from it was the McCain line “i just did that” and a commercial for an Andy Samberg movie called Hot Rod which looked like it might be good, but you never can tell with SNL movies.

forged rite on May 21, 2007 at 3:48 AM

>I’ve been abroad for about 10 years now and am shocked at what is considered humor. This is not humor, it is a very juvenile and sad attempt at ridicule.
>cranura

Well I can’t imagine it’s better in Europe, so where were you? Was there TV? Were you in Somalia?

VinceP1974 on May 21, 2007 at 3:53 AM

Here’s a trailer for Hot rod for those interested. Apparently the reviews haven’t been good.

forged rite on May 21, 2007 at 3:56 AM

Humor is in the eye of the beholder. I didn’t think it was all that funny, but it had it’s moments. I agree with Lorien that Hillary wasn’t spared. I think she actualy got off with the hardest slap; drawing her to look insane, and only having one line…a bad and old joke that’s been around for years.

wolfva on May 21, 2007 at 8:26 AM

I di think, however, that Hillary’s gape-eyed, maniacal look, evoking laughter without saying anything perhaps balances the lack of direct hits here . . .

The Therapist on May 21, 2007 at 9:44 AM

“Another reminder why I don’t watch SNL. Most of those jokes sound like they were written by 12 yr. old boys.

4shoes on May 20, 2007 at 8:45 PM”

“I’ve been abroad for about 10 years now and am shocked at what is considered humor. This is not humor, it is a very juvenile and sad attempt at ridicule.

cranura on May 20, 2007 at 8:11 PM”

I agree with both of you, I’m sorry I wasted my time on that very stupid whatever that was…

CCRWM on May 21, 2007 at 11:16 AM

Hillary’s gape-eyed, maniacal look, evoking laughter without saying anything

That was my favorite part. The look didn’t change until she spoke.

JimRich on May 21, 2007 at 1:59 PM

I must be juvenile, because I laughed myself silly. It was barely even political, it was just absurdist humor pasted (excellently) onto political characters.

What did Obama say his name was? I couldn’t catch the end because of the sound quality.

Tanya on May 21, 2007 at 3:57 PM