Audio: Saxby Chambliss booed at GOP convention for defending amnesty bill; Update: Graham booed in SC

posted at 2:53 pm on May 19, 2007 by Allahpundit

Specifically, for defending the temporary worker provisions. Click.

Mexicans are booing the temporary worker provisions too — for being too strict. They only plan to stay for a few years, make a little coin, and then go home. Scout’s honor:

Many in Mexico — and U.S. employers who say they need workers for low-skilled jobs — had hoped Congress would expand the guestworker program and allow more to cross legally, work a few months and then return home with their savings to build homes and businesses.

Gilberto Escalante, a 41-year-old fisherman from Sinaloa state, said the current temporary visa program is better than the congressional plan because it gives Mexicans the option to freely enter and leave the U.S. while maintaining their lives in Mexico — instead of forcing them to choose between the two countries.

“We don’t want the house or the latest car in the U.S. We want to go and work so that our families can have a good life in Mexico,” said Escalante, who is seeking a visa to work on fish and shrimp boats off the coast of Mississippi.

Update: And the winner of the Georgia GOP convention straw poll is…

Update: McCain’s apprentice got his today, too:

The crowd booed South Carolina U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham (news, bio, voting record), a key ally of McCain in both his 2000 and 2008 presidential bids, when he said he had worked with U.S. Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., on the immigration legislation.

“It’s the best bill I think we can get to President Bush,” Graham said as some in the crowd shouted “No!”

Graham was cheered earlier in his speech when he talked about the war in Iraq.

Update: More complaints from illegals about the touchback requirement and the $5,000 penalty, the latter of which will be dropped from the final bill, I expect.

Update: And here’s yet another human interest piece about the bill from the illegals’ standpoint. Lots more of these coming, no doubt, the louder the uproar from conservatives is.

Comments

Instead of demanding that the US relax it’s immigration standards, how about you go pester your own goverment to improve itself so there are more opportunities in your crap country for unemployed folks such as yourself? And yes, I said crap country; if Mexico wasn’t a crap country, they wouldn’t be exporting their population.

austinnelly on May 19, 2007 at 3:12 PM

I think I have no problem with guest workers taking their coin back home, IF they are paying taxes here.

csdeven on May 19, 2007 at 3:17 PM

csdeven on May 19, 2007 at 3:17 PM

Granted that they’re invited guests, I agree.

Wouldn’t repealing income tax and instituting a federal sales tax automatically insure this happens?

TexasDan on May 19, 2007 at 3:21 PM

As long as they return home after their visa is up, which is pretty much guaranteed not to happen.

amerpundit on May 19, 2007 at 3:22 PM

The Saxby philosophy:

Either you lose out to foreigners abroad or you lose out to foreigners at home.

Ah! Free trade and mass immigration, ain’t life wonderful!

tommy1 on May 19, 2007 at 3:27 PM

My eyeballs are bleeding from the head beating against the wall of late! “A good life in mexico”!? Are you kidding me? They want US to support their supposed good life in Mexico……oh, and accumulate and abuse every social priviledge they can grab hold of along the way…….and bend over Mr/Mrs legit American while we stick it to you along the way! And do clear the way coz the mad rush for the border is under way and there is not, it seems, one damn thing you (I) can do about it. Sheesh……..this 50-something American just plain gives up!

dustoffmom on May 19, 2007 at 3:28 PM

A guest worker program would be an acceptable situation, but it should be THE LAST PIECE in this puzzle.

1. Secure the border yesterday.

2. Begin arrangements with Mexico to receive all mexican national inmates currently held in U.S. prisons.

3. Craft a treaty, accompanied by an ultimatum, that Mexico apply IDENTICAL legal standards to Americans that they expect the U.S. to apply to their nationals. If the gate swings only one way, then it needs to be closed and padlocked.

4. Bring a case to the Supreme Court that challenges the current interpretation of the 14th amendment, and restore the original intent, which would deny citizenship to anchor babies because the illegal parents are not “subject to the jurisdiction thereof”.

5. Raise the criminal stakes for business which hire illegals. Place the business under immediate receivership until due process determines the culpability of the business owners, and deport every worker immediately.

Some will find the above too harsh to accept. But we ARE at war. Our government is caving in on immigration, at least parially due to influence of businesses which depend upon the cheap labor. The result is that the border remains open, which invites terrorists. That is unacceptable.

Freelancer on May 19, 2007 at 3:28 PM

So what they want is to take money out of our economy and add it to Mexico’s while using our social services far in excess of what taxes they do pay, if they pay any at all. Yeah, that sounds fair! Way to go GOP – hope those campaign donations from Tyson’s et. al are worth losing what’s left of your base over.

Laura on May 19, 2007 at 3:28 PM

TexasDan on May 19, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Never ask for the VAT (value added tax) or any new tax. Our so-called representatives are incapable of eliminating existing taxes and we’d for sure end up with both.

Entelechy on May 19, 2007 at 3:29 PM

As for a guest worker program, that’s not working out really well for France and Germany, is it? A semi-permanent unassimilated underclass with easily exploited grievances is just a fabulous idea. I can see all kinds of good coming from that. You betcha.

Laura on May 19, 2007 at 3:32 PM

Saxby-Chanbliss and the rest of our “betters” in the Senate are spouting horse manure. A pox on all their houses!

MCPO Airdale on May 19, 2007 at 3:45 PM

What the hell has happened to the Republican party? Bush is a lost cause but what about the rest of these cowards?

Wade on May 19, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Is anyone organizing a massive march on Washington to stop this thing?

I don’t think we need the vandalizing tactics commonly used by lefty protesters, but I honestly think we need to have millions of people surround Capitol Hill and demand they toss this bill, and camp there until they do. I’m not sure everyone fully understands what a “beginning of the the end” this bill is for our country.

Please tell me someone is organizing something?

RightWinged on May 19, 2007 at 4:08 PM

I’m glad people are booing this piece of Samsonite. Shame on him. Also glad people are outraged and are showing it.

RD on May 19, 2007 at 4:18 PM

Is anyone organizing a massive march on Washington to stop this thing?

Who would, or could, organize such a march? Talk radio would mobilize the crowds, but who has the authority to pull it off?

RD on May 19, 2007 at 4:20 PM

None of them want to hear what your ‘average’ conservative/Republican leaning American has to say or wants to opine. We are a ‘problem’ nowadays to be stifled……they only want to hear our opionions on election days. Good lord I am bitter as hell today and not alone in that opinion!

dustoffmom on May 19, 2007 at 4:25 PM

RD and RightWinged if you can figure it out let me know when and where and I’ll do my best to get there! (how do the illegals do it?)

CCRWM on May 19, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Good lord! How in the world did we manage to elect so many worthless, egocentric, pandering politicians all at one time.

rplat on May 19, 2007 at 4:31 PM

Obligatory csdeven troll-bait Fred! post:

As the state Republican convention de-camped, the sponsors of a presidential straw poll in which 429 delegates participated declared unannounced candidate Fred Thompson by 44 percent.

Fred Thompson — 188 votes, or 44 percent
Newt Gingrich — 77, or 18 percent
Rudy Giuliani — 64, or 15 percent
Mitt Romney — 40, or 9 percent

More votes than the next 3 candidates combined. Maybe there’s a shimmer of hope for the Republican party after all…

Hollowpoint on May 19, 2007 at 4:40 PM

I seriously doubt that any candidate can claim to be strong on the GWOT while being weak on illegal immigration! When I lock up my house I lock both the front and back doors (and the windows too).

Buzzy on May 19, 2007 at 4:45 PM

Maybe it is time to impeach Bush. I don’t know if the country can take another year and half of this guy.

Bush removes provision requiring back taxes from illegal immigrants

Wade on May 19, 2007 at 4:58 PM

This is exactly why a “guest worker” program is philosophically a terrible idea, even if it operates perfectly and all illegal immiagration is stopped. The whole point of immigration is to leave for a better life and embrace your new home. If this is what we are really going to do as a nation then we should not be decietful or feign that it fits with the ideals of the Constition. We should just jump in whole hog and rename this the slave labor act of 2007 since it is putting us on course to have a pre-civil war social structure.

Resolute on May 19, 2007 at 4:58 PM

Please tell me someone is organizing something?

RightWinged

How about you? Book me a nice room and pay for my meals and I’ll be there :)

CharlestonCritic on May 19, 2007 at 5:08 PM

And the winner of the Georgia GOP convention straw poll is…

Sounds to me like the ¿fred? groupies started their own straw poll and “neglected” to tell anyone else. This sounds typical of a guy who would drive a shill red pick up truck to rallys to mesmerize his minions just to have a limo pick him up afterward and take him to The Caucus Room for dinner, ceegars, and brandy.

csdeven on May 19, 2007 at 5:36 PM

How about Bush giveing me my back taxes and fees back from all the LEGAL immigration I have paid for?
Why have I paid over $10,000 and waited for 9 years for some folks when I should have had them just jump the border.

Gads, its sad when you have to Quote Yakoff Smirnoff.

“What a Country!”

Or worse Micheal (puke) Moore “Dude Wheres my country?”

I am sooooooooooo Pissed!

we should do more than BOO!

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on May 19, 2007 at 5:39 PM

CCRWM on May 19, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Cool :-) I have an idea or two…

No plans yet for Memorial Day; and, given the hijacking of May 1st as “Si se puede” day, there’s a kind of symmetry in holding a blow-out on the Sat. or Sun. before Memorial day in Washington, D.C.

But I imagine (though don’t know for sure) a lot of folks have vacations they’ve already bought & paid for. And, to be serious for a moment, one week seems a short time to organize 50-100,000+ people. For a large body count in a short time we’d have to rely on suburban NOVA & MD to supplement the crowd. Would they come?

For the rest of us, planes, trains & automobiles only go so far; buses help tremendously in bringing large crowds from small towns (as uncomfortable as some of them can be). To organize buses, someone has to charter them. Parking is a problem in D.C. No idea about lodging in the metro area.

So, who’d help organize this thing? Looks like both the Republican and Democratic parties will be sitting this one out. Don’t know if we can rely on the Rotary Club either.

Ah, inspiration strikes (only half-jokingly): Perhaps Jesse Jackson and his Million-man march “Get on the Bus” crack organizing team can do it. And wouldn’t they be willing: after all, what do they have to gain by illegal immigration??

RD on May 19, 2007 at 5:40 PM

Why is no one puuting pressure on these immigrants to stay in their own country and fix it rather than come here and suckle off the american tax payers teat?

The absolute GALL of these people to run away from their own country and demand rights in this country when they wont demand them in their own.

I’m getting more and more PISSED the more I read about these jerk-offs!

csdeven on May 19, 2007 at 5:43 PM

When I buy a product or a service I must pay a certain price. That price is dictated by a simple economic principle we all learned in economics 101. Supply and demand. If there is too much product then prices will be driven down. A business then has two choices. Lower supply or decrease prices. Businesses want to use the law of supply and demand to increase their profits but they deny workers to use the same principal when it comes to wages. Businesses are manipulating the supply and demand cycle by hiring illegal workers, often paying them under the table which saves them payroll taxes but also drives down wages. We all know there is no such thing as “jobs Americans won’t do”. Americans will do ANY job if the price is right. If a job can not be filled by an American worker voluntarily then someone who is on welfare and is physically able to work should be required to take that job in order to continue receiving benefits. If that job pays below the poverty line then the welfare or unemployment systems could make up the difference. NO MORE FREE RIDES!!! Not for the workers. Not for the employers.

calirighty on May 19, 2007 at 5:46 PM

I wonder if it would be possible to get any in the media who interview illegals to be charged with accessory to a crime? I know they think they are above the law, but……

William Teach on May 19, 2007 at 5:48 PM

Just so we are clear from my last post….I am referring not only to American workers on welfare but also American workers who are on unemployment and capable of working.

calirighty on May 19, 2007 at 5:49 PM

I should have said: after all, what do they have to gain by an amnesty for an enormous population of mostly Mexican illegals?

It’s also time to coin the term for someone who has snuck in illegally, flouted U.S. laws, then been given amnesty by our craven political class. Something with the connotation of “scab“.

Perhaps amnestian, amnestic or amny for short (pl: amnies)?

Best if Jesse Jackson’s crew were the first to adopt such a term, lest it be incorrectly conflated with racism. (But conflated with resentment and hostility? You bet.)

(Disclaimer: This post is for entertainment purposes only.)

RD on May 19, 2007 at 5:55 PM

Sounds to me you’ve spent too much time in the sun wearing your tinfoil hat.

There were 429 votes, and it was jointly conducted by the Young Republicans and the Republican Liberty Caucus of Georgia. I guess both groups must’ve been in on the conspiracy.

Feel free to share your thoughts on chemtrails and CIA mind-control satellites while you’re at it.

Hollowpoint on May 19, 2007 at 5:59 PM

Hey, don’t blame me because the people who attended it were not notified of it. It was a BS straw poll taken at booths with no formal announcement. Considering the ¿fred? groupies have nothing better to do than salivate over him or take straw polls in order to skew results to make themselves feel better, it’s really no wonder he won this “poll”.

Oh yeah, by the way……

State Republican officials have confirmed that no presidential candidates will be given an opportunity to address the thousands of delegates who gather in Gwinnett County.

Question: What is 429 compared to “thousands”?

Answer: It don’t matter because groupies don’t care about facts. They just want their ears tickled with folksy blabbering and spurious polling numbers.

csdeven on May 19, 2007 at 6:28 PM

Freelancer on May 19, 2007 at 3:28 PM

I like it. You came up with a couple that I hadn’t been able to articulate before.

LegendHasIt on May 19, 2007 at 7:22 PM

So you were there then? Have you anything but paranoid fantasy to back that up? News flash: Polls don’t operate on the notion that every single person gets polled, but rather a sample. 429 people is a pretty big sample for a couple/few thousand people; national polls often only sample a thousand people or so.

That Gingrich came in second also supports the notion that this was legit- even though he’s not in the race and might not ever be, the two candidates viewed as most conservative got the most votes- quite reasonable to believe since the event was likely attended by the party base of conservatives.

But you go ahead and maintain your paranoid delusions; you might want to refine it a bit though when we see the same results and the next Republican event. You should also inform the Atlanta Journal-Constitution of how they were duped by Fred’s conspiratorial minions.

Hollowpoint on May 19, 2007 at 7:33 PM

Some who have the time and are in the region need to get a bullhorn, a few NO AMNESTY FOR SCOFFLAWS! signs, and should go to the White House fence and start BOO-ing! this treasonous lunacy -for the media to notice.

If you do no defend your borders, you do not have a country.

profitsbeard on May 19, 2007 at 9:01 PM

I’d like to see some of the other human interest pieces – US citizens on unemployment (unemployment for workers with high school ed or less is twice as high as local population unemployment in areas with high illegal immigrant populations), citizens who are union electricians who can’t get enough work to support their families as there are so many illegal immigrants taking the work (with fake IDs, of course), single parents forced to go on welfare because jobs are scarce and wages have been driven down, and teenagers and young adults who can’t get jobs in career-track jobs, apprenticeships, etc. because the jobs that used to go to them are now taken by 30-40 year old illegal immigrants (and unemployment for black teenages/young adults is over 30% in areas of with high illegal immigrant populations).

We should be seeing THESE human interest stories in the media. Let’s tug on heart-strings for our own poor that are paying the price for the government refusing to its job. Maybe Fox News, Lou Dobbs and even John Stossel should start airing some stories about the real victims of this invasion.

TwoCents on May 19, 2007 at 9:20 PM

Maybe we could pull off a work “strike” so we could all demonstrate where we are? That’s how the illegals do it.

NellE on May 19, 2007 at 9:36 PM

After the speech, Chambliss said he took the crowd’s reaction as a lack of popular understanding of the shape of the current immigration system.

This is just TYPICAL of an elitist politician…we (the American public)don’t UNDERSTAND it, that’s why we don’t support it.

You keep jawing, jacka$$!! You’re stirring up an revolt, and at best, you will lose just your job.

tickleddragon on May 19, 2007 at 9:47 PM

I hope this bill being introduced will get people thinking in general about the candidates running for president. Now more than ever we need a President that can be firm on what needs to be done.

I’m disappointed in a few candidates not really saying much about this. The war on terror is 3 fold: 1) overseas nukes and jihadi influence 2) strong on border 3) strong on 2nd amendment (let them guess which house to go after or not).

Those 3 are the war on terror…

Highrise on May 19, 2007 at 9:52 PM

I’m up for a march!! Hell, I’m up for a revolt, but a march will do.

tickleddragon on May 19, 2007 at 9:53 PM

The 2008 candidates are feeling the heat. Hillary waffles. A few others too. Fred – is the bill comprehensive or incomprehensible? Listen in.

Entelechy on May 19, 2007 at 10:46 PM

Entelechy on May 19, 2007 at 10:49 PM

I am at a place where I would be willing to stand on the street corner with my sign. I’d either have things hurled at me or be joined by many who share my opinion of amnesty. Wonder which one it would be?

ProudPatriot on May 19, 2007 at 10:54 PM

I think if our founding Fathers had been told that America would be over taken by fornication.

They would have laughed themselves silly.

No worker program is nothing more than another method to cram about 20 million more migrants and 10 million of their children into the United States until the 14th amendment is clarified and enforcement comes in line with the citizenship clauses authors intent.

The UnConstitutionality of Citizenship by Birth to Non-Americans
By P.A. Madison
Former Research Fellow in Constitutional Studies
Last updated 6/2/06

We are fortunate to have the highest possible authority on record to answer this question of how the term “jurisdiction” was to be interpreted and applied, the author of the Citizenship Clause, Sen. Jacob M. Howard (MI) to tell us exactly what it means and its intended scope as he introduced it to the United States Senate in 1866:

“This will not, of course, include persons born in the United States who are foreigners, aliens, who belong to the families of ambassadors or foreign ministers accredited to the Government of the United States, but will include every other class of persons. It settles the great question of citizenship and removes all doubt as to what persons are or are not citizens of the United States. This has long been a great desideratum in the jurisprudence and legislation of this country.[1]“

This clarification by the 14th amendments citizenship clause author is hardly abstract and clearly means that that children of people who are not naturalized citizens cannot be citizens of the United states.

Jus Soli birth right is a farce.

Only citizens can make citizens.

Speakup on May 19, 2007 at 11:46 PM

Booing is good. Booing is a start.
But it needs to get louder – stronger – and really really quickly.
Write – Call – E-Mail your congresspeople!
Scream and yell and shout where ever whenever you can.

Don’t get complacent or apathetic, or it will pass.

Timothy S. Carlson on May 20, 2007 at 12:19 AM

Mexico’s fault = 0%
America’s leaders’ fault = 100%

If we had leaders who still had their special male parts we would not have this problem. We can blame Mexico all we want but they have nothing to do with the solution. We have everything to do with the solution.

Things won’t change till we’re nuked a few times.

Mojave Mark on May 20, 2007 at 12:42 AM

TwoCents on May 19, 2007 at 9:20 PM

I’d like to see some of that, too. While we’re waiting for the shows to begin, we can wonder why that information is routniely ignored, downplayed, and misrepresented….

For the past decade and more we’ve watched our country profoundly change, almost entirely for the Worse, and this “reform bill” finally broke the Camel’s Back

Janos Hunyadi on May 20, 2007 at 12:46 AM

Hollowpoint on May 19, 2007 at 7:33 PM

It’s obvious you did not read the link or the comments from the people who actually were there. The people that participated in that poll CHOSE to. That is not the way accurate polls are done.

Read up on straw polls. Read up on the actual event. Read up on the comments of those who were there.

csdeven on May 20, 2007 at 1:41 AM

I expected more of Graham…what a little pansy sell out. I won’t listen to him no longer….lip service extroidinaire.

And it really pisses me off they left Tancredo off of this since he’s been the border champion…and knows his stuff.

Highrise on May 20, 2007 at 3:45 AM

csdeven on May 19, 2007 at 3:17 PM

I don’t have a problem either as long as we tax it a second time for 15% when it goes back…think of it as Capital Gains Tax….

Tim Burton on May 20, 2007 at 5:09 AM

Highrise on May 20, 2007 at 3:45 AM

You listened to him and you didn’t know he was a spineless wonder? Have you ever heard how high pitched his voice is? There is a reason for it, he lacks (in Mexican) juevos. Seriously, the guy is a eunuch.

Tim Burton on May 20, 2007 at 5:11 AM

Wouldn’t the best solution be to build the most secure border possible, allow migrant farm workers cheap and easy-to-get seasonal visas (with verifiable ID and biometrics collected, and employer sponsorship letters so that they are always their burden while in America)

punish the hell out of employers who either hire illegals or who mistreat the “really real” temp workers. all taxes stay here, medical covered by the employers etc.

deport anyone found in the country without a valid visa or commits any crime.

done and done