Whew: Sarkozy appoints pro-American foreign minister

posted at 6:35 pm on May 18, 2007 by Allahpundit

You’ll recall he had reportedly offered the job to notorious anti-American Hubert Vedrine earlier this week, but for whatever reason, it fell through. His second choice: a pro-American, pro-Israel, pro-Iraq war socialist whose grandparents perished at Auschwitz.

Interesting times.

“It’s an amazing appointment, a stunning event in French foreign policy,” said Richard C. Holbrooke, the former American ambassador to the United Nations and one of Mr. Kouchner’s closest friends. “He’s motivated by an antitotalitarian drive whether he sees injustice from the left or the right. It will be very positive for U.S.-French relations, because he does not come with a visceral anger towards the American ‘hyperpower.’ ”…

Contrary to long-held Gaullist French policy, which evaluates crises through the lens of France’s national interests, Mr. Kouchner tends to see things through a humanitarian perspective. He was an effective early advocate of “humanitarian intervention” — the right to interfere in another country’s affairs if human rights are being abused…

Mr. Kouchner appears to support the maintenance of a strong international — and French — presence in Afghanistan to bring stability to the country; Mr. Sarkozy has promised that French troops will not stay there forever.

A source in Sarkozy’s party tells the JPost that Kouchner has good relations with Palestinians and the Lebanese, so he might be able to help win the release of the three Israeli soldiers being held hostage.

Update: Impressive guy — he also co-founded Doctors Without Borders.

Comments

France is looking more and more like a roller coaster

Kini on May 18, 2007 at 6:41 PM

I might just have to take down my “France Sucks” banner.

Opinionnation on May 18, 2007 at 6:42 PM

Il est miraculeux.

All his pros are good, except for the last one (so*ialist) but can’t have it all. Could have been much worse.

Now for Tony Blair at the World Bank?

Entelechy on May 18, 2007 at 6:44 PM

Maybe the local Kroger will start stocking French-cut green beans again. Morons.

RedWinged Blackbird on May 18, 2007 at 6:53 PM

Opinionnation on May 18, 2007 at 6:42 PM

Mine too. It’s ok. My neighbors were starting to get upset about it. They said I shouldn’t have made it 15 ft wide and placed it on my front lawn, but I thought it proved my point…

amerpundit on May 18, 2007 at 6:58 PM

Again I can imagine how much better Iraq would be today if it had been Sarkozy instead of Chirac in power in 2003.

William Amos on May 18, 2007 at 6:59 PM

Impressive guy — he also co-founded Doctors Without Borders.

Did he know this guy?:

HerrMorgenholz on May 18, 2007 at 7:02 PM

Plot to kill Olmert

HerrMorgenholz on May 18, 2007 at 7:04 PM

Opinionnation on May 18, 2007 at 6:42 PM

Well, let’s not get crazy. :-)

Slublog on May 18, 2007 at 7:04 PM

Whew: Sarkozy appoints pro-American foreign minister

In a related story, impeachment proceedings began today against French president Nicolas Sarkozy.

thirteen28 on May 18, 2007 at 7:08 PM

BE STILL MY HEART! There is hope in this world yet!

sharinlite on May 18, 2007 at 7:14 PM

Doctors without Borders has been critical of the US and Israel. Frankly, I can’t remember the details; I’ll have to look them up. But I do know I stopped contributing to them a few years ago.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on May 18, 2007 at 7:14 PM

It’s still a bit soon but this does offer some hope as France was among the leading anti-U.S. Euro nations.

Yakko77 on May 18, 2007 at 7:21 PM

I wouldn’t hold my breath on France becoming Pro-US just yet.
Putting a *leftist conservative socialist* (is there is such a thing) as foreign minister is like putting lipstick and blush on a pig and calling it beautiful. It’s still pork anyhow you look at it.

Kini on May 18, 2007 at 7:31 PM

RedWinged Blackbird on May 18, 2007 at 6:53 PM

That was the funniest thing I’ve read in a while. Thanks, haha!

Roark on May 18, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on May 18, 2007 at 7:14 PM

Well, in all fairness, the ACLU used to be a pro-American organization that actually fought for American rights, so many things change over time.

amerpundit on May 18, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Good news. I’ve really been enjoying me Evian the past couple of weeks.

Blacklake on May 18, 2007 at 7:53 PM

Uh oh, Muslim seething to begin in….

ScottG on May 18, 2007 at 7:59 PM

Not sure I’m buying this, “Socialist” just doesn’t go with “pro-American” “pro-Israel” and “pro-Iraq war.”

Capitalist Infidel on May 18, 2007 at 8:06 PM

I’ll maintain my boycott of all things French and most things European for now. Actions speak louder than words. I am hopeful things will get better but for now, I’ll just wait to see what happens.

Zorro on May 18, 2007 at 8:45 PM

So the French nominated John Bolton?

Tim Burton on May 18, 2007 at 9:24 PM

When should we expect the next round of riots in Paris?

JetBoy on May 18, 2007 at 10:00 PM

Life imitates 24 where good & bad guys go back and forth.

Buck Turgidson on May 18, 2007 at 10:41 PM

Let’s see what this guy does when we ask to borrow some airspace.

Mojave Mark on May 18, 2007 at 11:29 PM

We’re going to have to find someone else to make fun of, the french are on the right track

and this FM, I’ve red about him, he’s an outstanding guy with high character

Defector01 on May 19, 2007 at 1:22 AM

Impressive guy — he also co-founded Doctors Without Borders.

Did he know this guy?:

The Beeb piece says he had a falling out with Doctors Without Borders in 1980.

bdfaith on May 19, 2007 at 4:01 AM

Are we really sure that this news is of the French? News like this, quality leadership, seems, well, so un-French like……

omegaram on May 19, 2007 at 5:41 AM

omegaram on May 19, 2007 at 5:41 AM

Bush to Sarko: “Very nice to meet you; does your new dog bite?”

Sarko: “No.”

And this is where it gets funny…

Jaibones on May 19, 2007 at 8:04 AM

I’m not so sure this is good news. This guy is close friends with Richard Holbrooke. May I remind yo that Holbrooke is a Clintonista who thought guys like Kofi Annan were pro-US.

To say this guy is pro-American because he is friends with Americans who think that the US is dangerous is misleading.

cmay on May 19, 2007 at 8:31 AM

Sarko je t’aime!!!

Aylios on May 19, 2007 at 9:11 AM

I dunno, in that picture Sarkozy kinda looks like Adrian Monk to me.

Lehuster on May 19, 2007 at 10:28 AM

amerpundit on May 18, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Yeah the older I get the more I see that Institutions and *interest groups* start out usually with good intentions but end up full of crap and money sinks within a decade or two :( .

Good on Sarkozy!

Highrise on May 19, 2007 at 1:17 PM

Who knows – perhaps Sarkozy knew ahead of time that the notorious anti-American Hubert Vedrine would not accept the post, and offered it to him anyhow in order to insulate himself against charges of stacking the deck in favor of les americains:

“But I offered the position to Hubert… he declined… what do you want me to do??”

RD on May 19, 2007 at 4:32 PM

JetBoy on May 18, 2007 at 10:00 PM

I’ve read in more than one newspaper report that at least 100 cars get burned a day in France. It sounds so ridiculous when you read it that it couldn’t possibley be true, but who knows. Maybe the French riot everyday?!

Roark on May 19, 2007 at 9:10 PM

I was just in Paris earlier this week as part of my 3-week European road trip for work. In the cab going from CDG airport to my hotel, I saw these caution-type signs on the road that appeared to be warning of either burning or exploding cars. I never had enough time to get my camera up to snap a picture, so you’ll just have to take my word for it.

flipflop on May 20, 2007 at 4:23 AM

For the record, even though no one is reading this thread any more, here’s a nice story about Doctors Without Border and its Palestinian member who was arrested on charges of plotting to assassinate the Israeli PM.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on May 20, 2007 at 2:02 PM