Sandy Berger forfeits law license to avoid cross-ex on document swipe

posted at 10:05 am on May 17, 2007 by Allahpundit

And so a case that’s already reached the heights of suspicion somehow manages to reach a little higher.

In a written statement issued by Larry Breuer, Mr. Berger’s attorney, the former national security adviser said he pleaded guilty in the Justice Department investigation, accepted the penalties sought by the department and recognized that his law license would be affected.

“I have decided to voluntarily relinquish my license,” he said. “While I derived great satisfaction from years of practicing law, I have not done so for 15 years and do not envision returning to the profession. I am very sorry for what I did, and I deeply apologize.”

In giving up his license, Mr. Berger avoids being cross-examined by the Board on Bar Counsel, where he risked further disclosure of specific details of his theft. The agreement is expected to be formalized today.

The Warren Court ruled 40 years ago that the right against self-incrimination applies to disbarment proceedings; so far as I know, it’s still good law. Which means there probably wouldn’t have been any new revelations about documents down the pants even if they had gone ahead with the hearing. Rather, it would have been a PR bonanza of the Burgler having to get up there and assert his privilege over and over while the board quizzed him. What a video clip it would have made. And now it’s not going to happen.

And for this we must mourn.

Comments

I amazes me how Republicans let these wormy little people dump so much trash in their yards.

rplat on May 17, 2007 at 10:11 AM

Justice Robbed again…

I am no Birtcher, but I dont believe this is what the framers meant by: “land of the free.”

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on May 17, 2007 at 10:13 AM

Well slap my wrist

Wade on May 17, 2007 at 10:14 AM

Aside from the American people the really loser here is Obama.

liberrocky on May 17, 2007 at 10:14 AM

(cough)Bull(cough)sh*t(cough)

-Ben

amerpundit on May 17, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Aside from the American people the really (sic) loser here is Obama.

liberrocky on May 17, 2007 at 10:14 AM

OK, I’ll bite. Why?

Jaibones on May 17, 2007 at 10:26 AM

OK, I’ll bite. Why?

Jaibones

because it’s another thing that will be buried by the clinton machine, rather than hung around their necks like the albatross it is

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on May 17, 2007 at 10:33 AM

Jaibones on May 17, 2007 at 10:26 AM

I’ll take a guess at that…

Cuz if the truth came out the Clintons would be destroyed?

infidel4life on May 17, 2007 at 10:34 AM

OK, I’ll bite. Why?

Jaibones on May 17, 2007 at 10:26 AM

Because he won’t be able to use it to attack Hillary and her posse.

Tim Burton on May 17, 2007 at 10:34 AM

Perky Katie is having someone research & write up her Very Special
Journalist’s First Draft Of History. When I view that, then I’ll know how I feel about this.
My thoughts will surely follow.

Stephen M on May 17, 2007 at 10:39 AM

Does Sandy Berger still work for Hillary?

4shoes on May 17, 2007 at 10:40 AM

Does Sandy Berger still work for Hillary?

4shoes on May 17, 2007 at 10:40 AM

My question was going to be, “But he can still be Secratary of State, again, right?”

Editor on May 17, 2007 at 10:44 AM

And so, we come to the end of another chapter in the long, sordid tale of the Clinton clan.

Can’t wait to see the next installment in the series.

BacaDog on May 17, 2007 at 10:52 AM

to surrender something that hasn’t been used in 15 years and was never going to be used again? way to go DOJ. you really know how to punish someone.

mfnorman on May 17, 2007 at 10:55 AM

Hmmm… wonder what the Clintonistas promised him to keep this out of the media…

Bet he’s appointed an ambassador to some European country if Hill is elected.

Romeo13 on May 17, 2007 at 11:01 AM

No worries, a Berger that can not be flipped, will eventually get burned…

soulsirkus on May 17, 2007 at 11:07 AM

Berger is dirtier than seven miles of muddy road and for that he should be brought to trial.

Here’s another example of the far-reaching power of the Clintonistas. This is what comes from aligning yourself with Bill & Hill; you’re called on to cover-up their incompetence, crimes and misdemeanors, you pay fines out of your own pocket, you’re disbarred, embarrassed and become a laughing stock outside the Clintonista Gulag.

This clown deserves to have a dark cloud over his head and an eye of suspicion forever looking his way. The Clintons have tossed him overboard as chum for the sharks. That’s about all he is good for, then and now, he was a milktoast head of the NSC who fueled the fires of terrorism by his, and his boss’s poll-watching cowardice.

fogw on May 17, 2007 at 11:10 AM

No worries, a Berger that can not be flipped, will eventually get burned…

soulsirkus on May 17, 2007 at 11:07 AM

Wow. (Applause)

mikeyboss on May 17, 2007 at 11:21 AM

Berger was just the messenger, uhh the garbage man. Bill and Hill have, I’ll bet, promised him he won’t have to worry about his income in the future. Otherwise, we might learn what they knew, and when they knew it.

Fogw is exactly right.

doufree on May 17, 2007 at 11:23 AM

No worries, a Berger that can not be flipped, will eventually get burned…

soulsirkus on May 17, 2007 at 11:07 AM

Bravo!

rplat on May 17, 2007 at 11:26 AM

So, Sandy Bergeler goes down in history as what, exactly?

NRA4Freedom on May 17, 2007 at 11:34 AM

doufree on May 17, 2007 at 11:23 AM

Ya, no doubt he’s on the payroll for life.

infidel4life on May 17, 2007 at 11:35 AM

George Bush let Berger off the hook. He could have had the AG pursue this vigorously, but he didn’t. Did Berger go to Yale?

archon2001 on May 17, 2007 at 11:37 AM

Just one more body, left in the aftermath of Mr. Slither’s Juggernaut.

franksalterego on May 17, 2007 at 11:55 AM

Amen Archon. I have never figured out why the AG’s office didn’t pursue this vigourously. The only thing I can come up with is utter incompetence.

BacaDog on May 17, 2007 at 11:57 AM

archon2001

I don’t know if Yale is the reason but amen, REAGAN would have nailed him to the wall

Defector01 on May 17, 2007 at 12:02 PM

BacaDog on May 17, 2007 at 11:57 AM

There is a vast right wing conspiracy to ignore the left’s wrongdoing.

archon2001 on May 17, 2007 at 12:04 PM

There is a vast right wing conspiracy to ignore the left’s wrongdoing.

archon2001 on May 17, 2007 at 12:04 PM

Heh. It is a strange phenomenon.

I wish my wife were a Republican. Maybe she’d ignore some of my shortcomings.

BacaDog on May 17, 2007 at 12:34 PM

Bush is such a pussy:

border enforcement, amnesty proposal, tip-toeing trough Iraq, this Ham-Bergler issue, Libby persecution, Israel-Lebanon war, AG firings, etc…..ad nauseum.

omnipotent on May 17, 2007 at 12:35 PM

BacaDog on May 17, 2007 at 11:57 AM

500 classified FBI files, left behind by Bush I, then discovered, catalogued and set aside for a rainy day by the new White House occupants – BillnHill.

To this day, I think they have the goods on a boatload of Republicans. Too many of our guys have gone away silently into the night without putting up a fight.

Yup, the Clintons have files they like to hold on to, and then there’s the ones they want their cronies to destroy.

fogw on May 17, 2007 at 12:37 PM

Perhaps this president (or the next one) should start by firing each and every appointee that has a D after their name in the justice department.

After all, one would hope that justice would be non-political, although it continues to prove that it isn’t.

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on May 17, 2007 at 12:40 PM

So, taking from Burger a law license that has meant nothing to him in over 15 years is punishment. The next time my son requires discipline I’ll take away his Playskool blocks. That are boxed up above the garage. That’ll teach him.

BillyJeff’s law license was suspended too. And he last practiced law…ever? Amazing.

Freelancer on May 17, 2007 at 2:08 PM

He won’t need it, if Hillary wins. Let’s work on that big “if”.

DoD – I’d give anything to know why they gave him a pass.

Entelechy on May 17, 2007 at 3:33 PM

DoJ, alas…

Entelechy on May 17, 2007 at 3:34 PM

The Bush Administration should have hit hard to get Berger to talk and to serve jail time. This is the problem with President Bush….

HE REFUSES TO STRIKE BACK AT THOSE WHO CONSTANTLY BELITTLE HIM, CONSTANTLY SABOTAGE HIS ADMINISTRATION, AND AS IN THE CASE OF BERGER, REFUSES TO GO AFTER THOSE WHO DESTROY AND STEAL VALUABLE DOCUMENTS THAT MIGHT HAVE SHED LIGHT ON TERRORISM.

The False Dervish on May 17, 2007 at 4:39 PM

REFUSES TO GO AFTER THOSE WHO DESTROY AND STEAL VALUABLE DOCUMENTS THAT MIGHT HAVE SHED LIGHT ON TERRORISM CLINTON ADMINISTRATION CRIMES AND INCOMPETENCE.

Needed to touch that up. Clinton didn’t care about terrorism, just his own hide.

Freelancer on May 17, 2007 at 5:29 PM

Berger should be forfeiting his freedom forever, for treason, obstruction of justice and god knows what other crimes against the Citizens of the United States.

LegendHasIt on May 17, 2007 at 10:15 PM

The False Dervish on May 17, 2007 at 4:39 PM

The left (like the Jihadis) are in an all-out, take-no-prisoners, burnt-earth war against all of their real and imagined enemies.

Bush is running a PR campaign against the evil within and the evil without. And he doesn’t understand that the tool of public relations, namely the main stream media, is just a tool of his enemies.

cmay on May 18, 2007 at 7:45 AM