Scurrilous rumor: Fred’s non-campaign already establishing a web presence

posted at 7:51 pm on May 16, 2007 by Allahpundit

This won’t come as a shock given the speed with which he responded yesterday to Michael Moore, but it looks like Fred’s got some web-savvy personnel around him and they’re getting ready for zero hour. We got a tip this afternoon from someone claiming to own the fredthompson page at Twitter; when I asked him to prove it, he did.

twitter.png

He’s a Fred supporter who says he squatted on the domain weeks ago to stop any rival campaigns or Fredbashers from stealing it, in the expectation that the campaign would eventually contact him and ask him to hand it over.

Well, they’ve now asked. Or so he says — he sent me a copy of the e-mail he received from Twitter management (exact words: “The fredthompson campaign has requested ownership of the name in order to start using it”) but obviously I can’t prove for an absolute fact that it’s legit. Needless to say, though, if he’s pranking me it’s a long way to go for such a petty prank.

The domain handover hasn’t happened yet, but keep your eye on the page. Can’t be long now until the big announcement.

Comments

I hope he is handing it over for free?

Rightwingsparkle on May 16, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Sorry if I’m confused, which is completely likely, but why would the Thompson (non-) campaign want the Twitter page, instead of the actual “fredthompson.com”? Or, maybe they want both…

nailinmyeye on May 16, 2007 at 8:03 PM

Somebody get Fred a horse to ride in on.

Mojave Mark on May 16, 2007 at 8:04 PM

Fred doesnt want a repeat of “Obama@myspace”

Obama’s MySpace fan: ‘I’m stressed’
Senator calls, but was it a ‘guilt’ trip

May 7, 2007
BY LYNN SWEET Sun-Times Columnist
SANTA MONICA, Calif. — Joe Anthony, at the center of a raging debate over the role of netroots volunteers in Barack Obama’s presidential bid, said Sunday his once ardent support for him is shaken as a result of the Obama campaign taking over the Obama MySpace page Anthony created.
“I am not as staunch a supporter like I was in the beginning,” he told me.

Anthony is the 29-year-old Los Angeles paralegal who in November 2004 launched an Obama page on MySpace, the social networking site, attracting 160,000 “friends.” Last Wednesday, the Obama campaign, wanting total control of the page, shut him down, replacing his content with official information from the campaign and leaving in the wake a dispute over whether Anthony was fairly treated.

A passionate discussion about the Anthony controversy on the official Obama campaign blog — 400 comments Sunday as I write this — is drawing more reaction than any other blog entry on http://www.barackobama.com, a sign that the episode touched a raw nerve in a campaign that is emphasizing new media and encouraging supporters to organize on their own.

Obama New Media Director Joe Rospars posted the blog entry. At 7:35 p.m. Saturday, Anthony posted a pointed rebuttal to Rospars at http://myspace.com/skyscraper nationalpark.

The 2008 presidential campaign marks the first time candidates are making extensive use of newly evolving Internet tools. Anthony’s clash with the Obama campaign is a first — a mainstream campaign trying to harness the political organizing potential of Internet networking while wanting to control an independent (but friendly) page drawing a tremendous number of followers.

“I’m stressed,” Anthony told me when we talked. Though I was a few miles away, he did not want to meet in person, so I interviewed him over the phone. He was sparse with biographical details, a little freaked, I surmised, from being thrust into the spotlight as the first netroots activist to battle a campaign he thought he was helping.

The Ohio native studied classical guitar and was a music major in college. “I have no background in politics other than this page,” he said. He simply wanted to change the world.

Obama himself called Anthony on Wednesday night –”out of the blue,” he said. Anthony said Obama, in the few minutes they talked, told him there were “lessons to be learned by everybody” over the MySpace standoff, but Obama told him “he stands by his staff.”

William Amos on May 16, 2007 at 8:05 PM

No no, they wouldn’t be using the Twitter page as their campaign site, just as a social networking site, a la MySpace.

Allahpundit on May 16, 2007 at 8:08 PM

Bill, in the future, please don’t post articles like that. It’s a copyright violation. Just a link and a paragraph or two is all that’s allowable. The shorter the better.

Allahpundit on May 16, 2007 at 8:09 PM

Run Fred! run!

Tru2my2 on May 16, 2007 at 8:11 PM

Memorial day would be a good day to announce. The HBO movie premiers the day before Memorial day. I bet HBO is plenty peeved about this.

Bad Penny on May 16, 2007 at 8:12 PM

That makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Interesting. I am pretty sure that this Friday is the Law and Order season finale. Could it be an announcement as this season of the show ends? I think you may have pointed that out before, AP.

nailinmyeye on May 16, 2007 at 8:13 PM

Understood Allah. Wont do it again.

William Amos on May 16, 2007 at 8:17 PM

Run, Fred, Run!

I hope MM, AP, or Bryan can get Fred to agree to an interview. He must know that many on this blog support him.

Mooseman

Mooseman on May 16, 2007 at 8:23 PM

Somebody get Fred a horse to ride in on.

Mojave Mark on May 16, 2007 at 8:04 PM

csdeven would claim instantly that the horse didn’t you know what properly.

William Amos, on the Pelosi thread of today, I sent you the step-by-step for linking. Give it a try. It’s not that hard.

Entelechy on May 16, 2007 at 8:26 PM

Fred!/Watts! in 08!

Tim Burton on May 16, 2007 at 8:32 PM

Im just going to send them to Allah and let him deceide

Darn that makes me sound like a Jihadist. Let Allah sort em out…

William Amos on May 16, 2007 at 8:35 PM

nailinmyeye on May 16, 2007 at 8:03 PM

They’d want everything with his name so they can “control the brand” so to speak.

William Amos on May 16, 2007 at 8:05 PM

What angered me about that case was the cheap SOB wasn’t even willing to pay the guy for all his hard work in building that presence! He basically just stole it from him. So, I joined MySpace and emailed him and asked him to wait until he became President before he started ripping off the little people. He’s a scumbag for how he treated that kid.

Fred is going to run. He’s likely waiting for the field to thin a little (which I think it did last night). Like Bad Penny said, Memorial day, draped in Red, White in Blue, would be the perfect occasion to announce.

TheBigOldDog on May 16, 2007 at 8:36 PM

csdevin would claim it was a fake horse (big grin) but that’s OK. Heck, I’d love for HotAir to get any and all candidates including Fred in for an interview. I’d bet that Fred would jump at the chance, probably others as well.

Buzzy on May 16, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Not really. All he’d have had to do is get the Thompson Twitter name, ala Obama and Myspace, and type up a fake email.

amerpundit on May 16, 2007 at 8:42 PM

Now, it might be interesting to see how this plays out.

amerpundit on May 16, 2007 at 8:47 PM

William Amos on May 16, 2007 at 8:35 PM

He doesn’t have time for our links. It’s not that hard. Cut and paste the step-by-step into a blank e-mail and print them out. Then just follow them, one-by-one. I really like what you have to say, and that you read a lot. We shouldn’t miss that. However you decide, best regards,

Entelechy on May 16, 2007 at 8:51 PM

I will consider it. I sent Allah an email that the Washington Times is stating that they are fully ready to back Fred and that he is running

William Amos on May 16, 2007 at 8:57 PM

Just gotta give me some time. Allah, I’m not trying to be pessimistic, but I also don’t want to jump to conclusions. I hope that he is real, but there are so many parody sites, with people faking letters from the celebrity (or politician), that I’m just cautious. Like I said, though, I hope it’s real!

amerpundit on May 16, 2007 at 8:58 PM

He’s a scumbag for how he treated that kid.

TheBigOldDog on May 16, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Well yeah, he’s a leftist democrat.

ScottG on May 16, 2007 at 9:04 PM

I hope he is handing it over for free?

Rightwingsparkle on May 16, 2007 at 7:55 PM

I hope he’s NOT giving it away for free. It’s possible it could be considered something of value. If it’s given to the campaign, some vindictive judge somewhere will decide it has a value more than allowed for individual contributions. Fred! will be asked endless inane questions and have tons of fake scandal around what amounts to a procedural issue.

Agree on a couple hundred bucks and there will be no issue.

askheaves on May 16, 2007 at 9:04 PM

What the bloody heck is Twitter??

tickleddragon on May 16, 2007 at 9:33 PM

Now, it might be interesting to see how this plays out.

amerpundit on May 16, 2007 at 8:47 PM

Am I the only one who hates myspace? I can -never- read the pages because of the infernal stupid backgrounds that people use.

Myspace is the death of web design.

lorien1973 on May 16, 2007 at 9:44 PM

I’m the person who set up the “fredthompson” Twitter account.

Twitter accounts are free, so it would not make sense to try to sell it.

For those who are unaware of what Twitter is, it is set up to answer one question, “What are you doing right now?” In a nutshell, it’s micro-blogging. Kind of like instant messenger status messages mashed up with a email list. Everyone who subscribes to your account (becomes your “friend”) is notified when you post. They receive notifications via the web, SMS, instant messenger, etc. According to some recent stats, it is the fastest growing web service ever.

An example tweet: “Announcing my Presidential Campaign”

Well, a couple months ago I noticed that John Edwards had set up an account and was posting “tweets” (as they call them) regarding his different campaign stops and such. He makes most of the posts and the few made by his staff are noted as such. Of course there are also people who creat accounts such as “Darth Vader” to post fake messages. Since this is a great medium for communicating with fans/friends, I went ahead and secured an account representing Fred Thompson. I then put out some feelers to some friends with contacts in the TN GOP.

Today I was contacted by Twitter. The email address used to set up the account was only known by me and Twitter.

I’m just a fan of Fred hoping to help out his campaign by securing a useful social networking account.

jeremyp on May 16, 2007 at 9:49 PM

I hope he is handing it over for free?

Rightwingsparkle on May 16, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Why should he hand it over for free ? He should at least get his cost back. By doing this he has already done the Thompson people a big favor. In fact, you would think that a serious campaign team would have thought of that.

Maxx on May 16, 2007 at 9:49 PM

What the bloody heck is Twitter??
tickleddragon on May 16, 2007 at 9:33 PM

I’m all a twitter about this twitter??? What the heck is it?
Well , I see it now, but does anyone really know that it exists? Or are TDragon and I the only ones left out of the twitloop?

shooter on May 16, 2007 at 9:59 PM

Thanks jeremyp on May 16, 2007 at 9:49 PM.
Can you answer one question? How old are you? Can you give us a range of age groups that use twitter? ( ok that was two)

shooter on May 16, 2007 at 10:02 PM

shooter: I’m in my thirties.

I haven’t seen any demographic statistics, but from my own observations it seems to be a much older base than myspace. The most prolific users are in their late twenties and older.

I’m a web professional by trade, and that is why I was amazed at the simplicity, power and potential of Twitter. One of my friends is a photographer who is always shooting famous people. I encouraged him to start using it because all of his friends would like to know what he is up to. He initially thought it was inane and didn’t understand why anyone other than teens would like to use it. Now he is addicted and posts every few hours.

You don’t *have* to post, so it’s not like you have to post “I’m eating breakfast”. I recently had a problem with a server, and I had someone reply to me within hours regarding that issue.

The English Standard Version Bible team has set up an account that posts a verse a day.

The web has made people more open and honest. This is just the next step down that path.

jeremyp on May 16, 2007 at 10:17 PM

I can honestly say…not upset about being outside the “twitloop”, shooter… I’ve got too many social sites and Instant Messenger programs going currently to want/need another to keep up with… I’m getting techfatigue…sheesh. :)

And now I think I’m personally more consumed with the horrible Amnesty bill to be caring about anything election-related.

Still want FRED!, but we got bigger Enchiladas to fry! UGH!

tickleddragon on May 16, 2007 at 10:18 PM

Some stats on Twitter via kottke.org. Take a look at the growth rate graph.

jeremyp on May 16, 2007 at 10:20 PM

My husband, who is contrary and third partyish is a Fred! fan.

It is time.

Stormy70 on May 16, 2007 at 10:33 PM

Fred is so cutting edge, he is using Web 2.0 services I’ve never even heard of.

That is a step up from certain other “series of Tubes” GOP Senators.

JayHaw Phrenzie on May 16, 2007 at 10:57 PM

I hope he is handing it over for free?

Rightwingsparkle on May 16, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Agree on a couple hundred bucks and there will be no issue.

askheaves on May 16, 2007 at 9:04 PM

This is an issue that has been discussed on other sites supporting Fred. There is some value established for “in kind” contributions and unused addresses are not very valuable. Those sites that are already operating and have good traffic are in more danger from the Government.

TBinSTL on May 16, 2007 at 11:47 PM

Oh no, ¿fred? will ride in and out on a real horse, but after he is out of sight of his groupies, he’d get into his limo and beat feet for a meal, ceegars, and a brewski at The Caucus Room.

csdeven on May 17, 2007 at 12:09 AM

I see nothing much has changed in my absence.

techno_barbarian on May 17, 2007 at 12:21 AM

The Republican Leader John Boehner already uses it (click and scroll. Right sidebar.) He also uses Tinyurl.com, apparently.

amerpundit on May 17, 2007 at 8:20 AM