Breaking: Jerry Falwell in “gravely serious” condition after being found unconscious; Update: Falwell dies, says AP; Update: Falwell’s in hell, says Phelps

posted at 12:58 pm on May 15, 2007 by Allahpundit

Just across on Fox. No details yet, but the death wishes should be flowing like wine soon on nutroots blogs. Keep an eye out, and stand by.

Update: He’s at the hospital in Lynchburg, unconscious and, according to one source, being given CPR.

Update: They’re getting warmed up at DU. Here’s a particularly nice image. Meanwhile, the Kossacks debate just how much like Hitler Falwell really is and beg each another not to descend to the level of “the wingers,” death wishes apparently being a hallmark of the right-wing blogosphere in KloudKuckooland.

Update: According to Fox News, the AP is reporting that Falwell has died. I wonder how the candidates will deal with this at the debate tonight.

Update: The Kossack comments are getting nice and hot now. And here’s your quote of the day at DU. They’ve actually closed that thread and opened another one, where they’re already going full steam.

Anyone following HuffPo? I’m heading over now.

Update: Comments appear to be closed.

Update: McClatchy has already posted an impressively detailed obit.

Update: Weasel Zippers is keeping tabs on Think Progress, where they’re drinking the wine straight from the cask.

Update: Ben Smith snarks, “And so this evening’s question is how glowingly John McCain will describe his former antagonist.”

Update: Early condolences from Pat Robertson, Mitt, McCain, and — Al Sharpton.

Update: A little sunshine from one of John Edwards’s favorite bloggers.

Update: Bob Owens is doing a little lefty round-up himself.

Update: This has got to be apocryphal. Doesn’t it?

The reaction from the reporters? Grins and chuckles mostly. One grizzled veteran journalist said, “I hope they (CNN) remember all the horrible things he said.”

Another reporter simply said, “It is a good day.”

Update: No tears at TMZ.

Update: Poor Jerry. All that gay-bashing and he still couldn’t earn Fred Phelps’s respect. Meanwhile, in Frisco’s Castro district, gay activists are planning an “anti-memorial.” Attendees are asked to bring Tinky Winky dolls.

Comments

I agree with Shooter! Why?

Neocon Peg on May 15, 2007 at 9:36 PM

common sensineer on May 15, 2007 at 1:29 PM

Your Dad went to BBC in Springfield MO? When? We may know some of the same people….

TBinSTL on May 15, 2007 at 9:40 PM

I have a magnet on my fridge that says: Be Nice, Or Leave.

I consider myself a ‘guest’ in the ‘house’ of HA.
And in my own house, I can boot whomever I want, at anytime.

Tru2my2 on May 15, 2007 at 9:42 PM

Bryan,

I agree with you on both the Pinky and honora actions. Why? Adult discourse is vastly discouraged by the the far left. They are reserved for trolls and unfortunately, too many here fed the trolls. Don’t feed them and they will not return, for that is their sole purpose, to stir things up. Ignore them and they simply cannot take it and will take their spew elsewhere. Believe me, it works. You cannot argue with a “progressive” “lefty” “troll,” although I understand the conservative who wants to try. Believe me, it doesn’t work.

Neocon Peg on May 15, 2007 at 9:42 PM

It is bad enough what the libtards are saying about Jerry Falwell on their blogs. Does it have to be reproduced here too?

And whoever said this (lost somewhere above) I agree 100%. If I wanted to see this evil, I’d go to Kaos or DU and read it…so for here, link it great- copy and paste it ,not so great.

This is a good site, lets not dirty her up.
And Ms. Honora, see ya.

shooter on May 15, 2007 at 9:44 PM

NPeg,
Thx for the teen driving contract.

shooter on May 15, 2007 at 9:51 PM

Shooter, I said it and I still mean it. It is sad that the leftists (libtards) have taken on Falwell to the extent it has been taken.

I hope no one else will reproduce here what these leftist blogs are spouting. Even to show the hatred, it is just too much!

Neocon Peg on May 15, 2007 at 9:53 PM

Goodness, I clicked on the Fred Phelps link and will never be the same. Wherever he’ll go after death, he’ll be there with his family, alone. What guides them?

Entelechy on May 15, 2007 at 9:53 PM

NPeg,
Thx for the teen driving contract.

shooter on May 15, 2007 at 9:51 PM

Must me missing something here…Unless you are not referring to me! ;)

Neocon Peg on May 15, 2007 at 9:58 PM

Correction, must “be” missing…..

Neocon Peg on May 15, 2007 at 10:01 PM

Attendees are asked to bring Tinky Winky dolls.

I’m not really familiar, but are you sure it shouldn’t be “Twinky Winky”?

Mark V. on May 15, 2007 at 10:03 PM

My dad and brother teach at Liberty. It was stunning news. Regardless of if you agreed with his religious views, he was a true conservative. Kudos Jerry!

danarchy on May 15, 2007 at 10:31 PM

For those of us old enough to remember, Falwell had a profound effect upon conservative politics. Agree or disagree with him, he brought Christian voters to the voting booth. And they voted Republican.

I have never trusted the view of the media on anyone religious. They take things out of context and blow them out of proportion. I think they surely did this with Falwell.

Don’t all of us say things that in hindsight sound silly or wrong? Falwell was much more than the character that the media loved to portray him as.

There was never mention of the work of his ministry around the world.

I didn’t know him, and I don’t trust the picture painted of him, but God bless him for caring and doing something. Which is more than what most of us do.

Rightwingsparkle on May 15, 2007 at 10:31 PM

The worst comments I’ve seen are on TMZ.
—————————————-

1. No loss. It came 20 years too late.

Posted at 5:12PM on May 15th 2007 by Chilly

11. Ah Jerry,
Hope you brought sunscreen for your trip to the thereafter. You’ll need it.

Posted at 5:15PM on May 15th 2007 by Jeebus

13. First class asshole..now worm food…the world finally makes sense.

Posted at 5:16PM on May 15th 2007 by andyesmysoulwillrotinhell

A little respect for the departed would be nice. I am no fan of Falwell, but show some respect.

To their credit, a few commenters there chided these jerks.

13. First class asshole..now worm food…the world finally makes sense.

Posted at 5:16PM on May 15th 2007 by andyesmysoulwillrotinhell

—————————————-

JayHaw Phrenzie on May 15, 2007 at 10:32 PM

Meant to include these.

14. Good grief, what a tasteless post.

Shame on you TMZ.

Posted at 5:17PM on May 15th 2007 by John

15. Why continue to be antanonistic. Don’t you ever take the high road? Even when someone dies? Pleas, Jeez!

Posted at 5:17PM on May 15th 2007 by rmmp

JayHaw Phrenzie on May 15, 2007 at 10:33 PM

Allah, I’ve told you this over and over and over about HuffPo. They’ve learned to close comments on stories about health problems or deaths of famous people, to avoid scrutiny by right-of-center blogs.

But just check out any comment thread about the deaths of US soldiers or contractors. You will want to vomit. It’s a daily occurence on HuffPo. Truly, HuffPo is one of the worst hate sites on the web, but they manage to escape your notice because they close comments for a few of the bigger news stories.

juliesa on May 15, 2007 at 10:45 PM

I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say ‘you helped this happen’.

Reverend Jerry Falwell – shortly after 9/11 attacks

Is this what all the vitriol is about ? Above is what Dr. Falwell said, and as I read it, I don’t think he was wrong. He’s speaking from the belief that God lifts His hand of protection once a nation becomes too corrupt and I think that’s Biblical. It certainly wasn’t a crazy thing to say…. crazy is what you hear from the left with their “Bush did it” mantra. Reverend Falwell was a good man who did much good for many people and America, we were blessed to have him. Debbie Schlussel has written a thoughtful article about him, you should read it.

Maxx on May 15, 2007 at 11:26 PM

I see where honora was banned. Too bad. Those of us who have been blogging here a while can remember when, even Allah once commented that she was interesting. I think over the many months I’ve read her comments (most of which I disagreed) she still added to the debate. I read her remarks up top, and, while snarky, weren’t really that bad. In fact, I read a comment just after hers from, I think, a newby that was far worse yet I don’t see where that person was banned. She may have been a thorn in our sides, but she kept the debate lively and, once in a while, she offered a valid point. I disagree with her ban. So ban me for that.

thedecider on May 15, 2007 at 11:40 PM

All the people who are so “surprised by the hate” coming from the Godless among us, I have to wonder how much more surprised you will be then, when the day arrives and there is actually a bounty on christians in this world, and people are being encouraged by the government and the media to report them to the authorities…

it’s coming, watch for it.

NRA4Freedom on May 15, 2007 at 11:43 PM

Like many here I did’nt always agree with his ways…but he was a good man and a good Christian…and perhaps he’s smiling that his passing is prompting the liberal athiests in this country to spout about God and hell..two things they obviously don’t believe in.

DCJeff on May 15, 2007 at 11:48 PM

it’s coming, watch for it.
NRA4Freedom on May 15, 2007 at 11:43 PM

That day is already here. There is a bounty on Christians in this world. Most countries in the middle east actively seek out Christians and behead or torture them. Christians in China end up dying in prisons. I’m afraid I missed your point.

thedecider on May 15, 2007 at 11:50 PM

As a Christian, but not a ‘fan’ I was embarrased by the outlandish things he said. He did not speak for me on those issues. Still, I have no doubt that he was a man of God. And I see no contradiction between those two statements.

infidel4life on May 15, 2007 at 8:42 PM

Well said. Sometimes I found it hard to defend some of the good Reverend’s positions, but there was never any doubt about his belief in God.

It’s a shame his family won’t be able to grieve in peace. All they are going to hear are hateful comments from Chrissy and Olby.

RIP Reverend. You deserve it.

BacaDog on May 16, 2007 at 12:02 AM

If the far left can forgive Ted Kennedy, Robert Byrd, Sandy Burger, Torricelli, Barney Frank, Rostenkowski….(the list goes on), Why not Falwell?

What fools these liberals be.

dingoatemebaby on May 16, 2007 at 12:36 AM

Thanks to the commentors who knew Rev Falwell for giving us some insight into a man largely defined by the liberal media. May he be greeted in heaven with much joyous celebration for a job well done. On the way home today, I heard Hugh Hewitt interview a close associate with many good things to say. The media exaggerates the 9/11 and tinky winkie episodes as not to communicate the more substantive aspects of his ministry. They do the same to Rush, Ann, et.al. While I can’t say he was a significant influence on me, I did consider him an ideological ally. What I most admire besides his devout faith, was his ability to focus his values into political activism. “Give unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s.” i.e. Work within legitimate governmental structures, which he did. I’m frustrated by my protestant denomination’s liberal hierarchy. (A subject for another day.) Rev Falwell plotted his own political course according to his own convictions. Controversial? Sure. I respect people who can take the heat in the kitchen and light another burner.

Oh, and Rose hit another one outta the park.

You can tell the caliber of a man by the nature of his enemies.

Rose on May 15, 2007 at 5:41 PM

Buck Turgidson on May 16, 2007 at 12:52 AM

I couldn’t read through all of this stuff-I suspect a new thread coming soon. Do those of you posting snide about Rev. Falwell realize that you are imitating Fred Phelps? I bet you thought you were better than that.
Rest in Peace, Rev.

Doug on May 16, 2007 at 2:12 AM

I had no plan to comment on this thread, being certain that every possible benediction would have been offered, as well as being sure that the more vigilant among you folks would provide samples of the “tolerant” left. Then I got to honora’s post.

In case you’re still reading, honora, crass is the nicest word I have for your comment. You should be ashamed of yourself. You prove Rose’s comment at 5:41 PM. It is one thing for you to manipulate a discussion to either serve your point of view or avoid someone else’s. It is quite another thing to disgustingly insult someone recently past.

When each of us faces our Maker, you can be certain that each of us will be forced to face OURSELVES, because He knows the WHOLE truth about us, even what we hide from ourselves. That includes Rev. Falwell, that includes me, and that includes you.

Freelancer on May 16, 2007 at 2:23 AM

Your culture war is over Jerry, now enjoy eternal peace. And thank you for your fine work.

Maxx on May 15, 2007 at 2:04 PM

Well said. May we continue the fight an slay the monster and his minions.

Tim Burton on May 16, 2007 at 3:20 AM

This will sound really weird but… I wonder if he is talking with God right now and if so, can you imagine the conversation?

Dash on May 15, 2007 at 2:09 PM

‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’

Tim Burton on May 16, 2007 at 3:23 AM

Show me one conservative/Republican/right leaning site or blog where they have to ‘close comments’ when someone dies.
Pathetic!

R.I.P Reverand Falwell and peace to your family.

Tru2my2 on May 15, 2007 at 2:10 PM

Well, they may need to if we ever kill that SOB OSAMA…Then again, they may just let us go wild….

Tim Burton on May 16, 2007 at 3:24 AM

I, too, had my issues with many of his views, particularly what he said after the 9/11 attacks about how homosexuals, feminists, and others caused the attacks to happen. However, his sudden death today saddens me.

RIP, Dr. Falwell. My condolences to your family and to your flock.

Gottafang on May 15, 2007 at 2:13 PM

He never said caused. He said helped

“I really believe that the pagans and the abortionists and the feminists and the gays and the lesbians, who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way — all of them who try to secularize America — I point the finger in their face and say, ‘You

helped this happen.'”

I can’t help but wonder if he is right. After all, the Clintons were more concerned with rights for homosexual and women’s right than they were about seeking out terrorists.

They were more worried about talk radio and Conservatism than they were about radical Islam.

Tim Burton on May 16, 2007 at 3:33 AM

Sorry about the formatting. I can’t edit it either.

Tim Burton on May 16, 2007 at 3:44 AM

Regardless of one’s opinion of his religion or politics I do think he was the real deal in a venue populated by frauds. Jimmy Swaggart, the Bakers, Benny Hinn, Peter Popoff and the guy who keeps asking for a $58 dollar seed….
Billy Graham stands head and shoulders above them all but I think Falwell was sincere. He didn’t read his own press clippings as Pat B seems to have done a little too much.

RIP

Bradky on May 16, 2007 at 3:52 AM

Anyone who dares take a stand and tries to live a good life, and tries to perpetuate a life of values, morals, etc., is a target for the venomous, vindictive, arrogant, hate filled invectives of those who cannot stand the Light.

Reverend Jerry Falwell’s death is a strong reminder of this. Tony Snow’s illness is also a strong reminder, as are the words of hatred and perversion spewed regarding raping and abusing Condaleezza Rice and Mrs. Laura Bush, and others. Their mentally deranged approach to our President, George W. Bush, speaks volumes to their rabid temperament!

There are just some people on planet earth who seem to gather under the left wing, fifth column, liberal, Democrat side of the fence, who tend to be overflowing with vile hatred and disdain for all that is good, and who, while on one hand claiming themselves to be caring and kind, actually behave in the exact diametrically opposite manner and spew hatred and vile thoughts, words, and actions.

Rest in Peace, Reverend Falwell. Your strength and resolve is a shining example for all.

William

William2006 on May 16, 2007 at 4:08 AM

RIP, Dr. Falwell. My condolences to your family and thank you for your lifes work. May God grant you eternal rest.

Zorro on May 16, 2007 at 7:06 AM

If there’s a civil Democrat leader remaining, I call on him or her to publicly chide and renounce the seething far left. Right Now. Even madrassas would seem to have nothing on the leftwing hate sites.

RIP to a legendary American.

RushBaby on May 16, 2007 at 8:49 AM

RIP Jerry Falwell. I agreed with many but not all of your beliefs, but that is likely inherent in the nature of being a Christian. You’d be the first to admit that you weren’t perfect, and I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not, either. No human is. “It is by grace through faith that we have been saved through Christ Jesus,” and I have great confidence that you are now enjoying that promised salvation. I’ll look forward to shaking your hand in hopefully five to seven more decades.

RIP blogwise, Honora. You made my eyes roll but in a respectful manner… until you decided to defacate on the grave of a great man who hasn’t even been buried yet. Think about it that way, and the choice Bryan made was easy. Love him or hate him, Mr. Falwell was still a great man who did his best to live a worthy life for the benefit of others. He lived it so thoroughly that love him or hate him were the only two choices regarding him. There’s a lesson here… that really should be the only way to live.

We, to draw the best analogy I can imagine for someone on the left, will surely have an ounce of respect for someone like Jimmy Carter when he goes. We’d better have that respect, anyway. Hearts require respect over minds. There’s someone who we believe to be as woefully wrong on as many things as Honora and her ilk believe Falwell to have been… but he is motivated by a heart that is still in the right place… even if we think his mind is mush.

To contrast with another lefty icon, Che Guevara did many things for the benefit of others, too, but his heart ultimately was not pure. He did first what was best for himself. When anyone got in his way, he lacked a basic respect for life. I assume that pooping on his grave metaphorically is quite alright.

flutejpl on May 16, 2007 at 12:27 PM

They are everything the claim to hate.

TheBigOldDog on May 16, 2007 at 3:17 PM

Um, why no link to this one?

It’s from you know who, my favorie curmudgeon and author. He writes these obits everytime someone of import dies. He has been unflattering to even Bob Hope and my favorite president, Ronald Reagan. Well, if you fear offense, do not read the dismissive missive from Christopher Hitchens.

All I have to say, about Falwell was that he did it his way, and I hardly approve of his way of doing things.

Krydor on May 16, 2007 at 3:40 PM

Krydor, AP linked to Hitchens’ ritual reverse-epitaph this morning.

baldilocks on May 16, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Pictures of the “anti-memorial” remind me of every muslim or anti-American demonstration I’ve ever seen. Homemade derogatory signs and posters, flags (in this case rainbows) everywhere, people mock-dancing on his grave, just one big hate fest. The only things missing are a burning effigy, which is probably soon to come, and AK-47s being fired into the air.

Privatestock on May 16, 2007 at 4:46 PM

Falwell’s in hell, says Phelps

Being attacked by Phelps and his gang is kind of like a badge of honor with regard to real Christians.

Lawrence on May 16, 2007 at 4:58 PM

There’s no place hellish enough for Phelps and his.

Entelechy on May 16, 2007 at 5:24 PM

Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

These things I command you, that ye love one another.

If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.

If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.

But all these things will they do unto you for my name’s sake, because they know not him that sent me.

If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloak for their sin.

He that hateth me hateth my Father also.

John 15:14-23

Freelancer on May 16, 2007 at 6:28 PM

And yet, still no Christians threatening jihad or sawing off heads…

Because we are Christians.

The Machine on May 16, 2007 at 10:55 PM

Never cared for Falwell, but wish him well, whatever his fate.

Not casting the first stone” was a verse he often forgot.

His hysterical detractors should remember it now.

profitsbeard on May 17, 2007 at 2:10 AM

Coulter hits it out of the park.

To those who feel the need to qualify their statements of condolence with “Didn’t like him”, “Never agreed with him”, “Thought he was too political”, etc., you need to read Ann’s column.

Freelancer on May 17, 2007 at 7:16 AM

Who died and made Phelps the One True Judge?

smellthecoffee on May 17, 2007 at 9:48 AM

Never cared for Falwell, but wish him well, whatever his fate. “Not casting the first stone” was a verse he often forgot. His hysterical detractors should remember it now.

profitsbeard on May 17, 2007 at 2:10 AM

No one minds you being a Christian as long as you don’t act like one. The Christians got all uppity and political in England and they ended slavery. It’s amazing what Christians can do when they get political. Every president since Reagan, except Clinton (the most successful sexual predator in history) has been elected by the Evangelicals. Just like the Muslim mass murderers aren’t going away in our lifetime neither are the Evangelicals.

Mojave Mark on May 18, 2007 at 6:47 PM