Susan Estrich horrified by HuffPo comments about Tony Snow’s cancer

posted at 5:39 pm on May 14, 2007 by Allahpundit

And, equally righteously, about racists slurring Barack Obama in the comments at CBSNews.com. Like KP, she’s a left-wing Fox News contributor, and thus also like KP she comes in regularly for abuse from the “real” Democrats among us. (In fact, this isn’t the first time she’s tangled with HuffPo.) Here’s her disconnect, in a nice smooth nutshell:

These are not people who know Tony, or have personally been harmed by him in any way. But they wish him the worst; they take pleasure in his battle; they make ugly jokes about his condition. This is a husband and father who is fighting a scary illness, doing it with grace and dignity, changing people’s minds about living with cancer … and one after another of the messages is from someone who wishes him the worst because their hate is so deep.

I come from the school of politics that says ultimately, we’re all on the same team, that you fight as hard as you can all day, but after the day ends, you drink together, or eat together, or party together. Whatever it is that you do, you do it with people on the other side, as well. It’s a disagreement, not a war. We’re partisans, not enemies. I don’t call this the “old” school but the better one.

The blog commentators represent the other extreme.

We’re really not all on the same team anymore, though, are we?

Exit question: Who’ll be first to formally declare herself an independent, Estrich or you know who?

kp-reaction.jpg

Comments

Fluke, Rangel Estrich is still pretty out there most of the time.

RightWinged on May 14, 2007 at 5:42 PM

I disagree with Susan on almost every issue, but she is from a democrat party which is long gone. These people are not your fathers democrats.

Wade on May 14, 2007 at 5:44 PM

Cancer is a horrible disease that strikes without regard for your political opinions. Beware what you wish on others, Huffposers, it may hit somebody you love. That is, if you’re capable of love.

Tony737 on May 14, 2007 at 5:44 PM

OT: irony at Digg

jummy on May 14, 2007 at 5:53 PM

Old-school KP screencap for the win.

Readymade on May 14, 2007 at 6:01 PM

We haven’t been on the same team in ages. I’d say KP goes first.

Bad Candy on May 14, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Definitely POWERZ!

She’s got the Jesus thing going on and she knows GOP stands for Godbag Only Party.

see-dubya on May 14, 2007 at 6:04 PM

Fluke, Estrich is still pretty out there most of the time.

Nah, not a fluke. She’s a basically decent human being, despite most of her misguided positions. See her heartfelt treatment of the passing of Cathy Seipp.

Pablo on May 14, 2007 at 6:07 PM

I wont hold my breath for being “On the same team” with Kos or the DU.

They have made it clear they could care less about our military and I equally devalue their veiws.

William Amos on May 14, 2007 at 6:10 PM

If they didn’t switch parties or turn independent after the last election, they are not going to do it. Joe Lieberman has the most incentive to do so, and he hasn’t done so yet. So I don’t see Kirsten or Susan declaring as an “independent strategist.”

see-dubya on May 14, 2007 at 6:04 PM

see-dubya, did you miss the religion-in-the-GOP foodfight over at the Instapundit thread? Let’s leave it there.

Anton on May 14, 2007 at 6:11 PM

I like Susan Estrich, along with Pat Kadell.

However, if she still believes this

then she doesn’t know how far left her party has slipped. It’s a war by any other name.

Entelechy on May 14, 2007 at 6:14 PM

i’m really trying hard not to piss on the picknick by noticing estrich’s photo over there.

jummy on May 14, 2007 at 6:14 PM

Her voice makes me want to plug my ears forevermore…but although I rarely agree with a thing she has to say I have still somehow always admired her in a strange way. She carved out her niche in a ‘man’s world’ and has ever seemed to be ‘reasonable and mannered’ to me….or at least as much as a Dem can. Her party would do well to listen to what she is saying…..she is much closer to the ‘actual’ Dem party of middle America these days I believe than the netroots like to tell themselves.

dustoffmom on May 14, 2007 at 6:18 PM

Neither because their economic viability is tied to being able call them Democrats.

TheBigOldDog on May 14, 2007 at 6:22 PM

Surely she jests? Where was she when the democrat plane was hijacked by wackos? In the lew?

SouthernGent on May 14, 2007 at 6:24 PM

KP.

steveegg on May 14, 2007 at 6:28 PM

Actually, that sounds like Ronald Reagan discussing his relationship with Speaker Tip O’Neill. I can agree with this. Most of the people I work with, are married to, have sired are blue blue democrats. They can’t understand what is the matter with me. At the end of the day, we eat, drink, and live together. Sometimes we try to hash it out and other times we know to leave the politics alone.

Other than that, Susan E’s voice is “nails on a blackboard.” I turn the channel when she comes on.

Mallard T. Drake on May 14, 2007 at 6:28 PM

Holy Flipder-Flap!

AP has swapped KP for Susan Estritch!

you aint E-Mailin HER now are ya?????

EEEEEEK the mental images…. MUST scrub brain with brillo pad now……..

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on May 14, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Anton, I’m still covered in pie from that.

see-dubya on May 14, 2007 at 6:43 PM

Well I wouldn’t have drinks with her, her voice would drive me crazy, and her cult like love of Hillary is a little scary. But, being old school, she is right about being on the same team. The problem is the team that will get Hillary or any other Dem. elected will be the liberals who blog, they can’t be called extreme anymore, they are mainstream. She (Susan) will change teams, just to get Hillary elected. Her remarks will be short lived, when she sees votes drifting from Hillary.

right2bright on May 14, 2007 at 6:43 PM

One added thought, her make-over (like Greta’s) is a big improvement…but then she had a lot to improve.

right2bright on May 14, 2007 at 6:45 PM

I’ll never forget Estrich showing up on Fox drunk as a skunk on election night 2004. It was a riot!

Capitalist Infidel on May 14, 2007 at 7:01 PM

The many ugly e-mails received about TS gives evidence of the effectiveness of the whacko talking heads like Oberdude and Rosie O’Donut, also the whole of the MSM. Although their message might seem uninformed bordering on the absurd, it is being comsumed by a large audience of people ranging from instigators to the ignorant. Besides it has become an industry in this country. Everyday the hate factories spew forth their vicious bile they call news reminisent of the billowing smoke stacks of a coal burning steel mill. Get a damned job!

sonnyspats1 on May 14, 2007 at 7:01 PM

I’m glad she aknowloges that there are kooks at huffpo, but I am getting tired of the defense that they don’t represent the party. They absolutely represent the democrats.

bmac on May 14, 2007 at 7:19 PM

KP and Estrich are two of the few Democrats that I have listened to that I know can seperate politics from personality. I’ve never agreed with Estrich, but I have always liked her.

Not to overgeneralize, but most Democrats seem bitter and angry to me. These two are never that. Quite refreshing.

Rightwingsparkle on May 14, 2007 at 7:27 PM

I remember Susan on Fox news on election night her “I have a secret” and her pollsters that “knew” John Kerry would win was a hilarious, her reaction when it was all but over was priceless.

Rode Werk on May 14, 2007 at 8:13 PM

While you may try to paint a moderate face on Susan, she is pretty far from moderate, like Pluto far from moderate. She is in league with the rest of the Bush Derangement Syndrome crowd. She is in denial about terrorism, and is a hack for one world government.

Rode Werk on May 14, 2007 at 8:17 PM

You mean she doesn’t want to drink nose mucous?

The Infidel woman!

benrand on May 14, 2007 at 8:31 PM

She’s a sweet lady – even if I disagree with her. Like her, I used to defend the “mainstream” Democratic party too until I had to just throw up my hands and say “I quit. I am now a Republican.” Kudos to the Tammy Bruce’s of the world who are trying to inject sanity, dignity and honor back to the party, but it ain’t gonna happen.

foxforce91 on May 14, 2007 at 8:36 PM

I kinda like Susan’s voice. Makes me giggle.

robblefarian on May 14, 2007 at 8:38 PM

Something in my memory tells me that Susan Estrich had a health scare of her own, if I’m not mistaken. I think I remember a Fox News host welcoming her back from an extended break and saying, “You look great,” to which she replied, “Thanks, I feel a lot better.”

Matticus Finch on May 14, 2007 at 10:26 PM

All I know, is that I think she claimed to look as good in a black leather dress as Ann Coulter. Said her’s was cheaper, too, and we all know that ain’t true.

bloggless on May 14, 2007 at 10:50 PM

Actually, what I meant to say is that we know she doesn’t look as good as Ann in that black leather dress. I am not doubting that Susan’s wasn’t cheaper.

bloggless on May 14, 2007 at 10:51 PM

KP FTW!

WisCon on May 15, 2007 at 12:39 AM

Apparently Susan just got the memo that the lunatics are currently running the Democrat asylum. I seldom agree with her, but I pity her (and any other sane Democrat) when the nuts turn on her for not being crazy enough.

ReubenJCogburn on May 15, 2007 at 3:55 AM

Estrich is dillusional….partisans ARE enemies in today’s world. Time to purge all the loony libs from your life Estrich.

lynnv on May 15, 2007 at 7:57 AM

Heart-ache, Allah: HuffPo is the first site listed on KP’s blogroll

WisCon on May 15, 2007 at 11:15 AM

I don’t like Susan. I have no idea how nice she is, but she hasn’t seemed very nice to me, especially when the Clinton impeachment was going on. Her strident whiskey cigarette voice is enough to make my skin crawl. It’s nice that she feels the people on HuffPo are big meanies. It’s her party and it’s what they are. Too bad she apparently slept through what they have become.

Glynn on May 15, 2007 at 11:47 AM

Heart-ache, Allah: HuffPo is the first site listed on KP’s blogroll

Plus Peter Feld- who posts on her blog- appears to be a full-blown rabid moonbat.

Hollowpoint on May 15, 2007 at 2:29 PM

Unfortunately for Estrich, the dignified Hubert Humphrey Left has long since departed and the the Feral Lefties now rule what’s left of the Democrats.

Tantor on May 15, 2007 at 5:59 PM