“1/2 Hour News Hour” open thread; Update: “OxyClinton” video added

posted at 9:44 pm on May 13, 2007 by Ian

Two new episodes are premiering tonight on the Fox News Channel at 10 and 10:30pm.

And as Noel notes, that’s 7 and 7:30 for you folks in Rio Linda!

If you’re watching, let us know what you think in the comments. We’ll probably have a clip or two in this space afterwards.

Update (AP): By special request of the boss — OxyClinton, starring our pal Laura Ingraham.

Verdict: an improvement over the first two shows, although the segments where the anchors interview “experts” on the set are consistently godawful. They’re well advised to skew towards concept pieces like OxyClinton, which are stronger.

Comments

Y’know, I was kinda wondering why HHNH was airing yesterday…

Here’s hoping these new eps are better.

ZK on May 13, 2007 at 9:47 PM

Rutgers vs. Duke
Get ready to RUUMMBBLLE!

CyberCipher on May 13, 2007 at 10:01 PM

Why are they bringing this back? To see if they can outsuck the premier episodes?

RightWinged on May 13, 2007 at 10:02 PM

The Dingy Harry slam was classic.

Sammy316 on May 13, 2007 at 10:09 PM

At least they now have a live audience…

But still don’t think it’s very funny, and still say the HHNH isn’t a show for a cable news network.

Imagine if CNN did a comedy skit? Oh wait…I forgot about Wolf Blitzer…

JetBoy on May 13, 2007 at 10:15 PM

You got to admit, this is pretty damn funny.

Sammy316 on May 13, 2007 at 10:16 PM

Good Fred! comment about those “unable to distinguish between TV and real life”, or something to that effect. AKA Dhimmocrat tools.

IrishEyes on May 13, 2007 at 10:17 PM

OxyClinton…Hillary Ambivalence Syndrome…Dr. Laura…loved it!

Michelle on May 13, 2007 at 10:21 PM

OxyClinton – Bwhaaaaaa! I’d bet it’s even more addictive than that other one; would Rush agree? Unfortunately, it clearly makes one unable to render clear judgement.

IrishEyes on May 13, 2007 at 10:22 PM

I’d wouldn’t mind being examined by Dr. Ingraham.

So, Michelle, when are you going to make a cameo?

kevcad on May 13, 2007 at 10:24 PM

The only un-funny thing the whole show was Dennis Miller. A major improvement from the pilots.

rslancer14 on May 13, 2007 at 10:29 PM

So, Michelle, when are you going to make a cameo?

kevcad on May 13, 2007 at 10:24 PM

As a member of the Rush cabinet? Attorney General? She could make a sane case for secure borders, unlike the current AG.

IrishEyes on May 13, 2007 at 10:30 PM

The pregnant militant feminist was a bit over the top, but the rest was tolerable.

CyberCipher on May 13, 2007 at 10:31 PM

A repeat of the same show? The Algore comment was almost worth it, but I was really hoping for two new episodes back-to-back, not a repeat.

IrishEyes on May 13, 2007 at 10:33 PM

A vast improvement from the pilots. I thought it was two new shows. Seems to be a repeat though.

Sammy316 on May 13, 2007 at 10:33 PM

They HAD to repeat it so that AllahPundit could watch the sexual harassment segment a second time.

CyberCipher on May 13, 2007 at 10:35 PM

Thanks for posting this. I was “off-channel” avoiding Geraldo. I would have missed it.

Connie on May 13, 2007 at 10:36 PM

OxyClinton…Hillary Ambivalence Syndrome…Dr. Laura…loved it!

Michelle on May 13, 2007 at 10:21 PM

I agree, that part was actually pretty funny… but the rest of the show still pretty much stunk. The jokes were a little better than last time (as someone mentioned, the joke about Harry Reid wanting to withdraw from Fort Dix was chuckleworthy), but overall this show is still doomed to fail unless they totally reformat and get some new writers.

Dennis Miller is 10 times as funny in his brief segments on O’Reilly, this wasn’t a good venue for him. He has to preface his comments by noting that he was going to deliver “random thoughts”, and then after each one he had to say “up next”. It was really awkward.

Again, I’m open minded to the show, but it’s not looking good at all. I didn’t think RedEye was the greatest for the first couple shows, mainly because it was a new type of show, and the people on it weren’t that comfortable yet, but they made it work in a matter of days and I see emails they read expressing the same opinions as mine, and tons of people are now addicted.

This show, that we thought would be and was sort of billed to be a conservative Daily Show, has failed miserably. It’s almost half sketch comedy, some of which isn’t bad (again the Ingraham bit tonight), but if that’s what the show is going to be, that’s what it needs to be. Leave the unfunny “Weekend Update” clone out of it.

I’m a conservative, but I like my comedy to be… funny. And as pathetic as SNL has been in recent years, it’s still better than this show.

I won’t completely write them off just yet, but as I said during the last round, MAJOR changes need to be made if this thing is to go anywhere. At this point it’s so bad it almost seems deliberate. I mean, it’s not the worst thing in the world, but Fox is great at what they do and you’d think they could put something better than this together.

RightWinged on May 13, 2007 at 10:46 PM

My problem with this show is still the same. I don’t think either host is being sincere in their delivery of the “jokes” – they are just doing a gig and getting a paycheck. And it comes across like that too.

Watching this; you’d like the right has no telegenic people in their midst.

This show (so far) is a lot better than the previous two; but still. It feels hollow. I want some passion there and I hate one-liners.

lorien1973 on May 13, 2007 at 10:47 PM

Now if Laura would only fulfill my real nurse/playing doctor fantasy…

Valiant on May 13, 2007 at 10:51 PM

I would suggest one change. Instead of the anchors sitting at a desk, they do a send up of CNN’s Situation Room with scripts in hands and the background TVs showing all manner of funny things.

I too got a big laugh over the Harry Reid joke.

The ACLU commercial is definitely a keeper along with the Global Warming bit on the initial show.

pocomoco on May 13, 2007 at 10:53 PM

Just saw a portion of it here on the Left Coast. All very funny, esp. the “eleven” months preggo feminist giving birth to twins on air.

baldilocks on May 13, 2007 at 10:57 PM

Now if Laura would only fulfill my real nurse/playing doctor fantasy…

Valiant on May 13, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Bad Valiant. Naughty.

CyberCipher on May 13, 2007 at 10:57 PM

It was OK. Laura looked super. She is a prtty lady. I think they try to cram too much in to the half hour they have. Its a rush job. Dennis is good, OK at the end. But all in all they do need some better writers. Didn’t car for that baby delivering skit either.

Yes Michelle, we are looking forward to seeing you there!

auspatriotman on May 13, 2007 at 11:01 PM

That was the best segment they’ve done with the anchors, and even so, it was totally predictable. Although I did chuckle when Long asked if female bosses ever harass female employees.

Allahpundit on May 13, 2007 at 11:06 PM

Also, the sexual harassment routine was hilarious. When the female “expert” began to rub the woman’s shoulders, this thought ran through my mind: “b**tch–I will break your hands!”

baldilocks on May 13, 2007 at 11:06 PM

Hey HHNH, Rachel Marsden wrote to say she still hasn’t gotten her first paycheck as head writer of this show.

RightWinged on May 13, 2007 at 11:11 PM

Parts of the show made me want to cut myself. Is that normal?

The OxyClinton was funny, though.

frankj on May 13, 2007 at 11:18 PM

Michelle would make an excellent head of the Department of Homeland Security. Heck, she already has the gun …

DannoJyd on May 13, 2007 at 11:33 PM

I laughed out loud at most of the skits yes the backrub was funny! the Gorebot reference was funny but stilted.

Also… THATS a Dr. Laura I could listen to!
oh yeah I do…. only she’s not a Doctor…

What were we talking about again?

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on May 13, 2007 at 11:44 PM

that oxyclinton thing was positively brilliant!

Defector01 on May 14, 2007 at 12:02 AM

“If your enthusiasm for Hillary Clinton lasts more than 4 hours, consult your physician…”

Great – and necessary – last line of the clip.

RD on May 14, 2007 at 12:08 AM

I have to say, I was pleased to see the premiere. I think it’s a good show, not excellent, but good. I found myself laughing most of the time. OxyClinton was hilarious. I think this show will continue getting better with age. After all, the upcoming 2008 election will provide an almost unlimited amount of material.

Nate A. on May 14, 2007 at 12:20 AM

That’s why I think this ad send-up works. Because that’s what pitchmen do–they do the gig and get paid. And if Laura Ingraham is pitching–I’m catching.

smellthecoffee on May 14, 2007 at 12:38 AM

I’d like to schedule an exam with Dr. Laura.

infidel4life on May 14, 2007 at 12:47 AM

RightWinged on May 13, 2007 at 10:46 PM

I wanted to add one thing to my earlier, more detailed analysis. I’m, as everyone here knows, as conservative as you get, but funny is funny… and unfunny ain’t. Outside of Ingraham, this show was largely unfunny… A slight improvement from last time, but last time was incredibly terrible.

To further my point about funny being funny… As much of a liberal as Conan is, his show is hilarious 60-70% of the time, and the other times it’s still way funnier than this show.

RightWinged on May 14, 2007 at 12:52 AM

if you revive the Vent Laura would be nice guest-host: MKH, MM, KP, LI.

Spirit of 1776 on May 14, 2007 at 12:57 AM

It’s about time we conservatives started using SNL type humor to poke fun at the left. Bravo!

Mojave Mark on May 14, 2007 at 1:02 AM

“If your enthusiasm for Hillary Clinton lasts more than 4 hours minutes, consult your physician psychiatrist”

Entelechy on May 14, 2007 at 1:12 AM

OxyClinton — I loved it!

georgej on May 14, 2007 at 3:07 AM

I’d like to schedule an exam with Dr. Laura.

infidel4life on May 14, 2007 at 12:47 AM

Hawtttt.

Jaibones on May 14, 2007 at 6:36 AM

So basically if you’re on drugs, you COULD vote for Hillary.

No wonder her campaign is not worried

EricPWJohnson on May 14, 2007 at 8:15 AM

The Dirty Harry Reid joke about cutting and running from Fort Dix was excellent.

lynnv on May 14, 2007 at 8:18 AM

Dear producers: If you want The Funny back, leave a black garbage bag filled with hundred dollar bills on my front porch. Come alone. And have MKH deliver it.

Rob Long just had a book review in this weekend’s Wall Street Journal, so we know he’s still alive. Can’t we get him on this show?

saint kansas on May 14, 2007 at 8:44 AM

OxyClinton was the only part I laughed out loud at. That part was hilarious (and I was already smiling and saying, “hey! that’s Laura Ingraham!” when I first heard her voice). The pregnant lady sketch was just weird, and the massage thing was about ten years late (a sexual harassment skit? what?). The anchors need to work on their delivery anyway, so they should avoid skits. I laughed on the inside at the Harry Reid thing, because that was funny. And I was confused by Dennis Miller, because he always makes me guffaw, and last night he only made me chuckle once.

sarahk on May 14, 2007 at 9:00 AM

Maybe I’m easy – but I thought it was very funny. I laughed at the blame-Bush-tornado story, and the John Kerry/Queen joke? That was funny. But I thought the funniest thing was the very beginning with the Duke vs. Rutgers thing. Like I said, maybe I’m easy. I thought it was funny. I did NOT think the first ep. was funny. And Laura Ingraham is good! Dennis Miller had an off night. They should get [that other very funny former SNL-er -turned Republican] to do a segment too. I don’t know if he’s “out of the closet” yet, though. Rumor has it there are a couple of very funny former SNLers who are closet Republicans.

foxforce91 on May 14, 2007 at 9:59 AM

Dennis Miller . . . after each one he had to say “up next”. It was really awkward.

It’s as if he recorded what he thought were going to be a bunch of teasers to be used heading out to commercial, and then some genius decided to leave them together when the bit aired. I bet someone asks him on his radio show today.

Am I the only one who thought that naming the fake drug after one of the drugs to which Limbaugh was addicted made it less funny?

The Monster on May 14, 2007 at 10:20 AM

I think it would have been funnier and more in their face if Rush had done the commercial – although Miss Laura was flawless.

foxforce91 on May 14, 2007 at 10:41 AM

Oops – short white doctors coat means she’s a medical student, not a licensed medical school graduate.

hotdax on May 14, 2007 at 12:03 PM

This type of show does not belong on a news channel. Fox’s enemies will use this ad nauseum to tweak the legitimacy of FNC.
Fox certainly has other venues on which to place this kind of programming.

thegreatbeast on May 14, 2007 at 2:56 PM

No, more like unintentionally sardonic!

CountAgion on May 14, 2007 at 4:38 PM

This type of show does not belong on a news channel.

I thought we were discussing Fox!

CountAgion on May 14, 2007 at 4:39 PM

I watched the “1/2 Hour News Hour” for the first time this weekend. It was like a bad “Saturday Night Live”.

Lawrence on May 14, 2007 at 4:51 PM

I’d like to schedule an exam with Dr. Laura.

Whoa! Not so fast. Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

Ms. Ingraham looks smashing.

Pablo on May 14, 2007 at 6:17 PM

Re: OxyClinton, well done bit, especially the side-effects list. Laura is a LOVELY lady, absolutely, yes, “smashing”, Pablo! Love that doctor’s outfit! Well done skit, to the point. I don’t have cable so I can’t watch the show but I’m glad ‘Vent puts parts on here now and then. Any show that sticks it to the left has to be a plus…hopefully its growing pains will lead to a better finished product as it evolves…

Roger Brown on May 14, 2007 at 11:31 PM

I love Laura. She should be video-blogging all the time.

WasatchMan on May 15, 2007 at 2:29 AM

I wanted to watch this but never could find out the time it was on tv pacific standard time. The menu didn’t help either when I tried to tape it…/cry

Highrise on May 15, 2007 at 5:13 AM

RightWinged on May 14, 2007 at 12:52 AM

Bad writing, worse delivery. I guess comedy is hard.

honora on May 15, 2007 at 10:49 AM

Yup not funny sorry =/

Me, I’d do a reverse Colbert. Playing a Global Warming worshiping socialist that panders to every conceivable minority would be cake to write for and play out. Hell it would write itself.

Imagine an african american and gay person arguing with a woman and illegal immigrant and having to contort yourself to agree with all of them. Or an interview with an environmentalist that slowly exposes all the “eco-unfriendly” practices of the host and forces him or her to conform until they end up on a bare set with candlelight.

Talking about current news stories in an over exaggerated liberal persona? Pure funny.

Gold. Someone do it already.

Dash on May 15, 2007 at 11:22 AM

This episode was a little better than the first two, but why show it twice in a row?

donsingleton on May 15, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Still has the stupid laugh track/payed laughers. Still sucks.

spmat on May 15, 2007 at 4:35 PM

Pablo on May 14, 2007 at 6:17 PM

Heh.

Jaibones on May 15, 2007 at 5:12 PM

Pablo on May 14, 2007 at 6:17 PM

Involuntary shrinkage ensues!

:-0

infidel4life on May 15, 2007 at 7:05 PM

The show is GAINING FAST!

Go, FNC!