Rush billboard defaced in Baltimore; city official praises

posted at 2:15 pm on May 10, 2007 by Ian

Rush Limbaugh billboard

A Rush billboard in Baltimore was defaced last night by some hateful individual(s). But, what may be more disgusting is a city official who condoned the action instead of condemning it. The Baltimore Sun reports:

Apparently, somebody in Baltimore isn’t a fan of Rush Limbaugh.

A large billboard advertising local air times for the conservative radio talk-show host has been defaced.

Robert Murrow, a spokesman for the city’s Department of Public Works, saw the vandalism as he drove to work this morning on I-83 near the Guilford Avenue exit. He called The Sun, saying that someone had poured paint on the image of Limbaugh’s face.

###

“It looks like they took globs of paint and threw it on his face. It looks great. It did my heart good,” said Murrow, who admittedly is not a Limbaugh fan.

City officials praising law-breaking? B’lieve it, hon.

Comments

From the party who demands Bush answers to why he fired 9 US attorneys, who he hired.

amerpundit on May 10, 2007 at 2:18 PM

Heh. That’s Baltimore for you. Right on down to the city officials. I’d say I’m glad O’Malley’s gone, but now the rest of the state’s stuck with him.

*Sigh*

nukemhill on May 10, 2007 at 2:22 PM

HotAir readers in Baltimore need to call this guy’s bosses and have his ass.

RightWinged on May 10, 2007 at 2:27 PM

Another indication of the double standard. If the sign had been for Air America, and a conservative employee had said the same thing, his head would probably already by gone. Figuratively speaking, of course.

Troy Rasmussen on May 10, 2007 at 2:34 PM

Hmmm…Looks like a “Hate Crime” to me.

Ripama on May 10, 2007 at 2:35 PM

So if you’re not a Murrow fan, then hmmm….

there it is on May 10, 2007 at 2:35 PM

Rush was talking about this a little while ago. He was requesting that the city leave the billboard as-is, and add the phrase, “Listen, and hear what the left doesn’t want you to hear.”

heh

lan astaslem on May 10, 2007 at 2:39 PM

You know what? I’m almost tempted to say “leave it.” Just as a symbol of defiance.

“What. That’s the best you can do? Hah!”

nukemhill on May 10, 2007 at 2:39 PM

There you go, Ian. Great minds think alike!

nukemhill on May 10, 2007 at 2:40 PM

Vast Left Wing Conspiracy.

pistolero on May 10, 2007 at 2:43 PM

Rush’s idea is a good one. He also talked about billboards purposely “defaced” in Sacramento for advertising purposes. Good idea!

Ian on May 10, 2007 at 2:47 PM

Baltimore is lost. Let the city become a ghetto and eat itself.

Theworldisnotenough on May 10, 2007 at 2:48 PM

The vandals failed to cover up the all knowing, all sensing, all caring, all twinkling Maja Rushie Eyes!

Smiling back atcha, Dad!

RushBaby on May 10, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Let your anger flow through you; your hate will make you strong.

BohicaTwentyTwo on May 10, 2007 at 2:49 PM

Hmmm…Looks like a “Hate Crime” to me.

Ripama on May 10, 2007 at 2:35 PM

No.. No !! … Hate crimes only apply to people quoting the Bible.

Maxx on May 10, 2007 at 2:58 PM

I’m going to stick my neck out a bit here and presuppose that Mr. Robert Murrow, a spokesman for the city’s Department of Public Works, is a Democrat working in a Democratic administration.

If so, I’m not surprised at his comment, though Mr. Murrow ought to be ashamed for making it as well as be disciplined for advocating the destruction of private property as a form of political protest while he is employed as a city spokesperson.

Murrow represents the city of Baltimore to the public. Accordingly, AS A SPOKESPERSON FOR THE CITY, he enjoys access to the media that the average citizen does not. Therefore, he risks the image of the city and his department by using his role as spokesperson to advance his PERSONAL opinions, as those opinions happen contrary to idea of “equal protection under the law,” which is a fundamental concept in our system of government.

Clear Channel is entitled to the same protection in law as any other business. For a SPOKESPERSON for the city of Baltimore to express an opinion SUPPORTING vandalism (even if it is his own personal one) places Baltimore on the side of thuggery instead of freedom of expression.

If the City of Baltimore (specifically the Department of Public Works) does not immediately move to retract or clarify his comments, there may be (actually, ought to be) repercussions in the future by businesses or organizations choosing to NOT do business with the city, especially in the area of trade shows and conventions.

Otherwise, it is a clear sign that the Democrats are intolerant of diverse political opinion. It is more proof that the Democratic Party is America’s Brownshirt Party of 21st Century.

georgej on May 10, 2007 at 2:59 PM

When is vandalism not vandalism?
Simple, when a public official approves of the vandalism, then it is a act of public service.

P. S. I am not a Limbaugh fan.

navy1946 on May 10, 2007 at 3:01 PM

“A Rush billboard in Baltimore was defaced last night by some hateful individual(s).”

Hateful individuals with a LOT of paint! What is that, like 5 cans?

Kevin M on May 10, 2007 at 3:11 PM

Looks like a Rush to judgement to me. Where are you Jessie and Sharpton?

right2bright on May 10, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Rush is the only Conservative talk radio here, so where ever I am between 10Am till 1PM my radio is on. I miss conservative talk radio, there nothing else on except: Dr. Dean Edell, and coast to coast with George Noory, not the best of radio at all, least of all conservative.

Most folks here are surprised I listen to Rush and they think Rush is a bigot. I ask, have you ever listened to the show? and the answer is always no. They heard it from others that Rush is a bigot. Mind is made up, can’t be changed.

This is sad to hear this. I’m gonna have to watch copious doses of Oprah and Dr. Phil to get over this! sniff sniff!

Kini on May 10, 2007 at 3:28 PM

there it is on May 10, 2007 at 2:35 PM

Yes, if you are not a Murrow fan, we can go over to his garage and dump paint on it? Throw a little paint on his driveway?
See how it works Murrow (as if he reads this)?

right2bright on May 10, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Baltimore is lost. Let the city become a ghetto and eat itself.

Theworldisnotenough on May 10, 2007 at 2:48 PM

That’s fine as long as you let me transport out all the Historical Locomotives and Rolling Stock before the scum there ruin it.

Tim Burton on May 10, 2007 at 3:33 PM

They could have at least made it artistic. Losers will be losers.

– The Cat

MirCat on May 10, 2007 at 3:39 PM

I so cannot wait to get out of this frickin city.

tikvah on May 10, 2007 at 3:45 PM

So by his logic, if you think the city of baltimore is bigotted, and/or a tyranny, it’s perfectly ok to deface symbols of the city as a form of protest?

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on May 10, 2007 at 3:49 PM

Kini on May 10, 2007 at 3:28 PM

Ya got it backwards. Copius doses of Rush are needed to counteract the drivel that is afternoon TV.

infidel4life on May 10, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Baltimore was the city that by itself delivered all of Republican-leaning Maryland into Democrat hands after Republican Steele led comfortably all day statewide during the last election. Step one in election reform, force the city precincts to report first, so they don’t know how many votes they have to deliver.

naliaka on May 10, 2007 at 4:16 PM

City officials praising law-breaking? B’lieve it, hon

Dude, they defaced a billboard. It’s not like anyone’s tire got slashed. Jeez, sometimes I think people around here have no sense of perspective.

Enrique on May 10, 2007 at 4:22 PM

“Charm City” my butt!

kevcad on May 10, 2007 at 4:23 PM

“Ballomer” is a toxic pit as it is…don’t visit without a ‘street sweeper’.

DoctorDentons on May 10, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Tim Burton:
You mean the B&O museum.
My Railroader husband knows it well…and I’m sure he would agree with you.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 10, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Once again, the lefties demonstrate that they are against free speech and therefore un-American.

Tantor on May 10, 2007 at 5:16 PM

Enrique on May 10, 2007 at 4:22 PM

I guess we just get sick of their childishness after a while. They need to get jobs so they have better things to do with their time. We conservatives probably don’t know anyone who has the damn time to invest in buying the paint, putting it into the car, waiting for it to be “safe” then splooshing it all over a billboard. Nor are we the type of people who enjoy seeing our cities look junky and trashy (which defaced buildings, billboards and the like look like)- which lefties don’t seem to mind. In fact it’s their forte – creating crappy murals that signify some dorky and insincere message of togetherness yet always look like they were painted by a third grader. I live in Minneapolis in a neighborhood that borders Hippie Central. You drive through Seward and you see planters made from hubcaps, “sculptures” made from ugly crap laying around and painted with latex paint while someone was high, homemade plywood shutters, homemade railings made from rusty pipes, beautiful wood trim paited seafoam green – we just get sick of it. Okay – libtards relish wallering in garbage – we DON’T.

foxforce91 on May 10, 2007 at 6:03 PM

I don’t get your example. I am certain that it will take more time and money to repair the billboard than to patch or buy a new tire.

So, what was your point or in other words…

Huh?

JayHaw Phrenzie on May 10, 2007 at 6:09 PM

I drive past a Rush/Hannity billboard on my way home from Johns Hopkins (the finest hopsital in the U.S., they saved the life of Mrs.737 and two years later brought BabyGirl737 into the world) which is surrounded by block after crumbeling block of proof of what happens when the Dems are in control for decades at a time. Roll up the window, lock the door and be prepared to defend yourself. Anyway, everytime I drove past that billboard I wondered when it would be vandalized. I don’t know if it’s the same one, but either way, it speaks volumes about the left and so does the shape of the city around it.

Tony737 on May 10, 2007 at 6:59 PM

I jumped at the chance to register here after reading MM’s Unhinged. This act of vandalism kind of brings me full circle.

My best to the 737 clan.

Buck Turgidson on May 10, 2007 at 9:37 PM

Well, O’Mally isnt gone. He’s the friggin governer now. (lower case intended)

This is digusting. I drove by the defacing of RUSH everyday.
It [the defacing] borderlines demon-like behaviour.

We have kids being killed in schools, and people fighting to keep terrorists from getting here, ya wanna deface something? Deface the bastards harming us instead of the ones trying to motivate in helping us. Deafacing CBM’s ad was a waste of paint and just a showing of some goof who thinks he knows whats best for all of us. **sure… splash paint on a RUSH ad…. pfffttt…. what a worthless jerk to do such a thing…..

johnnyU on May 11, 2007 at 12:16 AM

This just proves to me that Rush is hitting too close to home with his broadsides on all things liberal.

If you notice, the closer to home a particular piece, article, monologue, or whatever, hits these leftist groupie types, the more venom is in their (mostly loony) responses.

A direct hit is always met with the most unholy, undignified responses.

Keep up the great work, Rush, Allah, Michelle, Bryan, Ian and all the rest of you who base your prose and positions in reality.

Of course this is nothing new, but still enjoyable to watch liberals, especially the new, unwashed, vociferous ones, trying their best to overcome or at least meet criticisms head on, and fail miserably.

hillbillyjim on May 11, 2007 at 12:39 AM

Thanks Buck, right back atcha!

Tony737 on May 11, 2007 at 12:54 AM