Did Howard Dean order KS gov to lie about FEMA’s response to the Greensburg tornado? Update: Flat denials from the DNC, Gov Sebelius and Brownback

posted at 6:44 pm on May 10, 2007 by Bryan

Update: Brownback says no, making it 3 for 3.

Update: The DNC just emailed me two documents, one a letter to XM and the other a letter to Free Republic. In both letters, the DNC denies without equivocation that the conversation between Dean and Sebelius ever took place. Both are C&D notices from the DNC’s lawyers.

The statement made by Mr. Quinn is demonstrable, unequivocally, and absolutely false. Governor Dean had no such conversation with Governor Sebelius, ever.

That’s about as flat a denial as one can get, though it’s interesting that they would resort to C&D notices to combat this story and characterize it as “libelous” and “slanderous” and “interfering with the DNC’s operations and ability to solicit support and raise funds.” The Democrats as a party have been libeling and slandering President Bush with impunity for years. Perhaps the RNC should start slapping them with C&Ds.

But getting back to this story, both Gov. Sebelius and the DNC are flatly denying that the conversation between Dean and Sebelius took place as described. So consider this story killed.

***

Update: I’ve placed calls to Sen. Brownback, Gov. Sebelius and the DNC. I left a message with Brownback’s office and Gov. Sebelius’ staff. The DNC spokesman denied that the phone call took place and is working on getting an official denial out to me as soon as he can.

***

XM Radio’s Quinn & Rose made the allegation that DNC Chairman Howard Dean called Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius early Sunday morning and instructed her not to request federal assistance in recovery from the Greensburg tornado, and to lie about the federal response to date, on their show, The War Room, today. After I discussed the story via phone with both Quinn and Rose today, here’s what they sent me.

PLEASE NOTE: The following is information we have received from a reliable source. We have never been misinformed by this person in the past.

It seems that, on Sunday, a few hours after Kansas Governor, Kathleen Sebelius, made her remarks about Bush sending all their National Guard Members and Resources to Iraq, she made a call to Brownback

Sebelius, was calling to apologize to the Senator for making the Political statements that she did. She explained that she did not believe them and that they actually had too many National Guardsmen show up.

Governor Sebelius explained “Sam, you know how political everything is right now and we’re not allowed to let an opportunity like this just pass.” She continued “I made sure not to blame you or Pat (Senator Roberts?) or anybody outside the White House. With his (Bush’s) numbers, you can’t really blame me for usin’ that.”

Then Sebelius explained the path to her comments. After Brownback told her that he was very disappointed in her, She pleaded “You know me Sam, I wouldn’t have said it if I didn’t have to.” She declared “Howard (Dean) called me around 5 o’clock (in the morning) and told me not to ask The White House for any help or make any statements until I heard back. Dick (Durban?) called me an hour or 2 later and that’s when he told me we needed to use this ‘n’ said to talk about the Guard all bein’ at war.”

She then explained the thinking; “Speaker and Harry got so much heat on them from both sides over this damn war, ‘n’ they need to get the press on somethin’ else. I didn’t think it was right to use it like this either, but I didn’t see’s I had much choice in this climate, Sam.”

She the[n] apologized a few more times and promised that she’d try to move away from the comment when she and Brownback were to meet up later and tour the damage, but she had to so it without disappointing Dean and Pelosi.

I asked them to characterize their source, and they replied that she or he would be in a position to have knowledge of the conversation between Sen. Brownback and Gov. Sebelius and has never misinformed them before. Sean Hannity has called Sen. Brownback’s office to either verify or debunk the story, but so far the senator has done neither. There is word that the senator may attempt a “limited hangout” strategy this weekend, in which he acknowledges that the conversation took place but won’t remember the Dean angle. Such a strategy, if that’s what Sen. Brownback does, might be an attempt to maintain comity in what has until now been by all accounts a smooth relationship between the Democratic governor and Republican officials in Kansas. Comity shouldn’t come at the price of truth, however.

At this point, I have no way of verifying whether DNC Chairman Howard Dean called Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius and instructed her to lie about the federal response to Friday’s devastating tornado. But I will make some calls and see what I can find out. Quinn & Rose’s story does fit the timeline and does fit the Democrat M.O. of late, in which they find a way to blame every single thing under the sun on Bush and on the war in Iraq. Other Democrat governors have pre-emptively blamed the lack of response to disasters that haven’t even happened yet on Bush and the war in Iraq. So on its face the story strikes me as very plausible.

More: Here’s the original post to catch everyone up on Sebelius’ original statements, the WH and Pentagon and Brownback rebuttals, and then Sebelius’ quick climb down. Obama makes his “10,000 dead” gaffe (has anyone seen video of that gem yet?) and Dingy Harry assails the WH long after Sebelius’ original statements had been debunked. **Here’s the Obama gem. Heh. I’d been off the site and missed it when Ian posted it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Not.
at.
all.
surprised.

wryteacher on May 10, 2007 at 6:49 PM

I’m shocked. Shocked! Well, not that shocked.

lorien1973 on May 10, 2007 at 6:53 PM

Skeptical, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

If it is fake, it was nicely done because I could easily visualize it. All “buddy-buddy” on a first name basis is a nice touch.

mojowire on May 10, 2007 at 6:54 PM

I sent the link to The Wichita Eagle. I am sure it will kie there, but maybe they will make a few calls. If this has any truth to it she ought to be impeached. Although I am sure this is not an impeachable offense.

bopbottle on May 10, 2007 at 6:55 PM

This is citizen journalism.
Punditry is easy.
Kudos.

Stephen M on May 10, 2007 at 6:56 PM

…DNC Chairman Howard Dean called Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius early Sunday morning and instructed her not to request federal assistance in recovery from the Greensburg tornado…

Wow!

RedWinged Blackbird on May 10, 2007 at 6:56 PM

Interesting.

I’m willing to believe this until/unless disproven.

Jones Zemkophill on May 10, 2007 at 6:57 PM

‘Let all the poisons that lurk in the mud come out.’

Limerick on May 10, 2007 at 6:58 PM

Hannity and Colmes should be interesting tonight.

RedWinged Blackbird on May 10, 2007 at 7:00 PM

How could anyone trust these people with,well,anything?

bbz123 on May 10, 2007 at 7:00 PM

Quinn & Rose have some affiliate stations not on satellite. Here is a current list.

That said, I think we all know this is going on, just really need some proof.

Wade on May 10, 2007 at 7:01 PM

Oh My God…if this is true, what a shame. Is the word whore to strong of a word?

God help us if this is true, they would be proven to be so vicious. What else could they be planning or have done.

Part of me wants this to be so untrue, yet it is so plausible it is sickening…how low can they go? Another part of me wants to believe it, and watch the yahoos squirm and hang. It gives me a knot in my stomach just to think that an American would be so evil, to sell their soul for a few votes.

We will all have something to state if this pans out.

right2bright on May 10, 2007 at 7:01 PM

Comity shouldn’t come at the price of truth, however.

And Brownback shouldn’t sit and let the President take undeserved hits when he knows it’s all staged. There is far far more at stake than Pres. Bush’s poll numbers!

This would also imply that Majority Liar Reid’s statements on the Senate floor were part of the act. If so Repub’s need to paint him as the clown he is

The Ritz on May 10, 2007 at 7:01 PM

If what Quinn & Rose say is true, then Howard Dean is much more of a low life than even I could have imagined. These types of lies, used to gain political advantage, are sins against our great nation and all who serve in our name.

If this is true, Howard Dean and the governor must resign. It’s the only honorable thing to do.

Zorro on May 10, 2007 at 7:04 PM

If this did occur, makes me look back at all the politicizing of Hurricane Katrina.

modnar on May 10, 2007 at 7:06 PM

Given the quotes in the communication from Quinn and Rose, I get the impression that the call from Sebelius to Brownback was recorded. If so, Dean and Sebelius are both toast.

RedWinged Blackbird on May 10, 2007 at 7:12 PM

If it turns out to be true, I would say change the graphic for this post, but I can’t think of any picture with enough red meat in it to post up.

Lehosh on May 10, 2007 at 7:21 PM

Hmmh, this doesn’t surprise me in the least. I can almost hear Old Howard myself yapping away and the dimbot taking her orders. Waiting to hear about this in MSM-oh guess I’ll get old waiting on that.

Catie96706 on May 10, 2007 at 7:22 PM

A little good PI work could get the phone records…if they haven’t been destroyed yet.

Wag the dog

lsutiger on May 10, 2007 at 7:24 PM

We all know from whom Howie gets his marching orders.

Wade on May 10, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Ian did (confused)

lorien1973 on May 10, 2007 at 7:30 PM

Nice job Ian. I’ve been away from Hot Air for a couple of days (withdrawal was brutal) so I haven’t caught up yet.

Bryan on May 10, 2007 at 7:31 PM

If it was true, why the HELL would she admit it to a Repub?
Fishy…but I guess not totally outside the realm of possibility, given the Dem desperation and BDS?

tickleddragon on May 10, 2007 at 7:34 PM

If it was true, why the HELL would she admit it to a Repub?

Because the Repub knew she was a lying scumbag and she wanted to pass the buck to Dean.

RedWinged Blackbird on May 10, 2007 at 7:42 PM

If it is true I want all the transcripts.
If it is lies I want the name of the liar.
What I don’t want is he-said-she-said-they-saw-someone-looked-mr mustard in the parlor crap. I’ll leave that stuff to Rosie. If true it needs to be broadcast into every living room in America by GW. I can dream can’t I?

Limerick on May 10, 2007 at 7:43 PM

This reminds of a few weeks ago when the Pentagon announced they were calling up some National Guard units here in Ohio. Our new gov Ted Strickland was attacking the administration saying that the loss of Guard units would hinder the state’s response to future disasters. Just sit back and wait for another tornado to hit Xenia and see what he says.

jeffshow on May 10, 2007 at 7:46 PM

Comity shouldn’t come at the price of truth, however.

And don’t forget it…the Democrats have used so many flat out LIES with all the help in the world from the press to propagate them – if this turns out to be true and Brownback does the “limited hangout” for the sake of comity, then he’s as guilty as the rest of them.

Enough Democrat lies for power.

Topsecretk9 on May 10, 2007 at 7:58 PM

Wow. Well, if true it isn’t hard to believe. It is near impossible to believe that conversations like that didn’t happen all over the place with Katrina.

Still, I wonder why the account is written in such precise dialect. It’s like Huck Finn describes the phone call. That is a little strange.

CourtZero on May 10, 2007 at 8:04 PM

I dunno Newsweek had this conversation with Sebelius right after the whole incident

the President’s Kitchen
Gov. Kathleen Sebelius caused a political storm when she warned the White House that the National Guard deployment in Iraq hurt her ability to respond to a home-state tornado. What happened next—and how it felt touring the wreckage with the president Wednesday.

NEWSWEEK: You and other governors have been warning for the past couple of years that your National Guard troops are stretched too thin. Was this tragedy in Greensburg your nightmare come true?
Kathleen Sebelius: It is in some sense. We have the assets we need to deal with this situation here on Day 5. What’s very worrying is that right after this happened we had torrential rains and some flooding. Our adjutant general told me was that if we have to choose in Topeka, if we had to deploy National Guard and equipment [and choose] between a flood or tornado cleanup, we’d be in trouble. It’s a huge concern, and one governors have been talking about for three years. The troops go to Iraq and take equipment, and when they return, they leave the equipment there. There has been no replacement strategy. The Pentagon says the plan is to replace 90 percent of equipment over the next six years. I don’t think there is a governor in the country who thinks that is a safe and sound strategy for managing security at home. I’ve been in lots of meetings on this issue and it doesn’t matter if it’s Republicans or Democrats. One of the key spokesmen for this issue was the secretary of the Interior, Dirk Kempthorne [formerly the Republican governor of Idaho]. He made this case on behalf of the governors over and over again.

Did you address this concern today with the president when he came to Greensburg to see the damage?
I did not today. Today was about the people of Greensburg, comforting them. There were a lot of tears. Every building is gone. We thanked him for coming. There’s no doubt that the president being here really lifted spirits. We have the first funeral tomorrow.

But I did have the opportunity to talk with him about this not long ago, when he was in Kansas to deliver the Landon lecture [a lecture series at Kansas State University, named after Alf Landon, the 1936 GOP presidential nominee]. He wasn’t able to fly into [the speech location], so at the last minute I got into the car with him and our two senators for the drive from Topeka and used it as a great lobbying opportunity. I told him we needed the equipment replaced, and he assured me there were additional resources in the budget. I kept saying afterwards I’m sure he wished the door would open and I would fall out.

William Amos on May 10, 2007 at 8:06 PM

HELL-OOoo. This is page ONE of the Libbie Play book.

YAAaaaaaawn.

GEEEEZZZ>>>can they not come up with a FRESH decision matrix besides ALL >>>ARROWS>>>point to BUSH?

What wiiiiiiiiill they do when he is snug in Crawford for the last time, not in the big White House to knock around anymore?

EXCELLENT WORK, AIRHEADS.

seejanemom on May 10, 2007 at 8:09 PM

Speak truth to power, my brother!

omnipotent on May 10, 2007 at 8:19 PM

What’s Dean’s position right now in the Dem party, besides dropping and bending for Soros?

fogw on May 10, 2007 at 8:29 PM

Man oh man … if this is confirmed, it’s huge. Will definitely be checking back for updates.

SisterToldjah on May 10, 2007 at 8:42 PM

I have no doubt this is true, but it dosen’t matter, because if it is, the MSM will embargo the story. In fact, on the today show this morning they mentioned Sebelius and what she said, but not that it had been debunked 2 days ago. This is a MAJOR scandal that no one outside the blogosphere will ever hear about.

bmac on May 10, 2007 at 8:43 PM

Should be interesting to see if this is true. However, right now I’m taking it as a grain of salt.

amerpundit on May 10, 2007 at 8:46 PM

the operate a machinery of lies against us, we have the opportunity to expose that machinery, yet we say nothing because we don’t want to disrupt mutual good faith with them.

does anyone else see what’s broken about that system of thought?

jummy on May 10, 2007 at 8:47 PM

I’ll be looking for this on tonight’s “Countdown.”

Sorry, I couldn’t say that and keep a straight face. The MSM is big into spiking stories these days. Anything to perpetuate the “Busch doesn’t care about _________, and only cares about fighting a war that we’re losing, and he’s a lying fascist moron on top of all that” meme.

Gottafang on May 10, 2007 at 8:48 PM

why not. even a dem scandal like this exposed is easily minimised. the news will report through a web of weasle words (“it is claimed by republican officials that these phone company transscripts seem to suggest…but even if…[insert 'larger truth' here]“) for half a week and drop it. forever. forgetting how to spell sibulius’ name.

in the meantime, the lefty netroots will use their tried and true debate strategy. they’ll pretend that you’re a crazy person just making stuff up untill you throw a document in tyheir face, at which point they’ll say something along the lines of, “oh dam! u mean a democrat messed up some details when talking to a reporter? GET ‘ER! lol! srsly, if this is what rethugs are calling a scandal, they must be pretty desperate. i mean, it’s not like she, you know lied our country into an illegal war which killed 600,000 people for oil.”

jummy on May 10, 2007 at 9:01 PM

Finally they get caught. I wish we could catch more of this liberal lying crap.
These people are NOT patriots in the usual meaning of the word. They want one thing only, themselves and their policies in power, regardless of what the country really wants. This is dictatorship. They will MAKE YOU believe what they believe…by hook or by crook.
JAIL is too good for Reid and Peloser.

AND we are possibly only entering the longest most hideous war this country has ever seen, the WOT.

shooter on May 10, 2007 at 9:06 PM

BTW, THANK YOU BRYAN!!!!
I’ve got a sneaky suspicion this one wasn’t easy.

shooter on May 10, 2007 at 9:08 PM

i mean, holy sh*t: i go to aol news yesterday and what do they have up? a retrospective of bush’s misspeaks. something funny, bush never “misspoke” in such a way as to suggest his political opponents are responsible for the negligent loss of ten thousand american lives.

jummy on May 10, 2007 at 9:11 PM

I’m not Bryan, or Hotair, but I’d like to remind everyone that it’s not confirmed, yet. Would I be surprised if it’s true? No. However, if it turns out to be false, we’ll all look like idiots for partying. If it is true, by all means, I’ll bring the beer.

amerpundit on May 10, 2007 at 9:14 PM

Does anyone know if this has been reported on a major news outlet (e.g., CNN, FNN, MSNBC)? I can’t find it anywhere but here (including Drudge).

No coverage = No scandal = No change to political chicanery

cmay on May 10, 2007 at 9:20 PM

I hope someone can prove that this did or did not happen. Even though I’m a staunch Republican, Sebelius has been a decent governor, and consequently, I hope it is not true. It pains me greatly to think my Governor could do such a thing. If it is true, I will do all I can to see that she receives all she deserves for making this a political issue and lying to do so.

windybon on May 10, 2007 at 9:20 PM

ameripundit,

It will never be confirmed because it will never be investigated.

cmay on May 10, 2007 at 9:21 PM

Likewise, I will believe this happened until it is disproved. The Dhimmy’s have proven too many times they are untrustworthy, lying bastards.

Mooseman

Mooseman on May 10, 2007 at 9:21 PM

You always have to be cautious with these sort of things, but does anyone doubt that this happened? I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, these people are evil scumbags. This is not only playing politics with people’s lives in KS, it’s once again, in one of the more disgusting ways, playing politics with the war. We KNOW that they weren’t short on guard troops in KS, and that in fact they had too many. This isn’t in dispute by anyone (that I know of). The original LIES were told to get the headlines, because the Dems know that the media on their side will report the lies without challenging them, and as always not report the real story if/when it comes out.

This is shameful, and I’m pre-angry over the fact that the media won’t hammer the Dems over this. This, as stupid as it is, goes WAAAAAAY beyond any of the bogus White House “scandals” the DNC/media come up with every week. In virtually all of those cases there is no scandal and at most there’s just a few questions that need answering, but they’re basically all completely manufactured. Vast Right Wing Conspiracy, huh? This right here is the Vast Left Wing Conspiracy in action folks. The DNC chairman calling and making a state governor LIE to do damage to Bush, the war effort, and Republicans. How many times have they done this and not gotten caught?

Even if this does get broken on shows like O’Reilly or Hannity, don’t look for it to be running as the top story for weeks (as it should be) on the networks and the other two cable channels, and on the cover of the NY Times, etc.

RightWinged on May 10, 2007 at 9:26 PM

If this turns out to be true, this is the most disgusting statement:

- they don’t love the troops
- they don’t even love their country
- they don’t give a rat’s ars about freedom and progress
- they don’t care about tragedy and those in need, either

They only love themselves, to win, and to screw us all, I mean on all sides, royally. These whores will sell us all, at any cost, for their own power. Never forget this!!!

If this is true, they need to be exposed NAKED!

Entelechy on May 10, 2007 at 9:28 PM

I want to echo what ameripundit said–this isn’t confirmed. It fits the facts pretty well and it fits Dem behavior very well, but this specific case isn’t confirmed. I know that Hannity and others are looking into it and I am too, but don’t anybody pop any corks yet.

Bryan on May 10, 2007 at 9:31 PM

Karl Rove has the MP3 file. He has attached it to several emails. He’s currently sipping a Scotch & water and smiling with his cursor on the “Send” button.

RedWinged Blackbird on May 10, 2007 at 9:35 PM

Bryan, fully understood. Thus, the “if this is true”.

Also, there are no corks to be popped. If true, they need to be squished like flies and rats, and all kinds of other scum.

I couldn’t celebrate over such travesty. What shame!

My grandma always said “there is no smoke where there’s no fire”. This could hardly have been fictionalized by the best of imaginations. Something happened here. Now for the facts.

Entelechy on May 10, 2007 at 9:36 PM

Not to pimp my own site, but I have come across some information that may shed light.

Short form: I’d like to gently warn folks off this story.

j.d. on May 10, 2007 at 9:37 PM

No offense to anyone what so ever, but shame for reporting this. If it turns out that there is something plausible on this, kudos to you for the real scoop; I mean that honestly. What you have right now is basically a high school level of political third party gossip and you’re using it to further your and other’s perceptions of your opposition. Don’t we have enough to go on without spreading baseless accusation? I say this as an independent, not a partisan.
Please, have a little evidence before your propagate.

SouthernDem on May 10, 2007 at 9:38 PM

I agree.

If this is true it is HUGE.

Keep the heat on, for the love of pete, keep the heat on.

Sammy316 on May 10, 2007 at 9:49 PM

Wow.

Stankleberry on May 10, 2007 at 9:51 PM

SouthernDem, why is your username SouthernDem, if you’re an independent? I’d always thought Dem = Democrat. Sorry, if I was wrong.

amerpundit on May 10, 2007 at 9:51 PM

You have compiled some interesting facts, j.d., but I don’t see how it pokes holes in anything here wrt to Sebelius and Dean. Maybe I’m just missing it.

As for SouthernDem:

Don’t we have enough to go on without spreading baseless accusation?

Sebelius did that when she claimed that the Iraq war had caused the Kansas National Guard to fail to respond, when in fact there were 83,000 NG troops and plenty of equipment within reach. Where were you then? And not to beat the drum too much, but your party has been out there with the “Bush lied” shinola for years and that’s a baseless accusation. Where have you been on that?

I’ve caveated this story to death and tamped things down here in comments. Sebelius didn’t caveat anything. She only backed down once the WH, Pentagon and Brownback publicly pushed back with the facts–but by then the initial report with her falsehoods went all around the world and back again. And thus, it had served its purposes, if this story is correct.

Bryan on May 10, 2007 at 9:54 PM

Bryan on May 10, 2007 at 9:54 PM

And speaking to a co-worker of mine, today, he still didn’t know that she retracted her story. He had only read the first report saying that Bush was responsible. So, there are still people who think that Bush was.

amerpundit on May 10, 2007 at 9:56 PM

Update: Disreputable Harry Reid piled on. Problem: His claims had already been debunked earlier in the day. There is no line Democrats won’t cross anymore if they think they can score a political point.

Byran’s last comment on the original post…good instincts you have.

Topsecretk9 on May 10, 2007 at 9:57 PM

SouthernDem on May 10, 2007 at 9:38 PM

I love and respect your comments. From one independent to another, on this one, I believe it is good to have this posted. The blogging community can keep their feelers and connections going, and possibly even help.

If it turns out to be true, we’ll know.

If not, HA will be the first to correct the record. One of the main reasons why I respect them so much, especially compared to the rotten MSM, who even if they do, post the correction in a hidden, tiny place, on page 22, mostly.

Entelechy on May 10, 2007 at 9:57 PM

Speaking of corrections, I have a big post I’m working on about an AP correction coming up tomorrow. It dovetails nicely with the Sebelius story because the initial erroneous story went everywhere, a quoted source in the story worked with the reporter to get the story corrected, the reporter corrected it, but by then the world had moved on so the correction got mostly lost. Nearly everyone who read the initial story still believes that it’s right even though it’s been corrected.

Bryan on May 10, 2007 at 10:02 PM

LOL, yeah, I can’t change that Dem part of my name now, can I? Actually, Bryan, I’ve renounced the modern Democratic party on the comments a couple of times, but I don’t expect everyone to have seen that. None the less, I’m pretty sure I’m on record here refuting the “Bush lied” line of crap thought.
Yep, you’re right, it’s reprehensible what she did; literally, I was aghast when I saw that on the news. But this, in my opinion, is vast left wing conspiracy gossip. I have come here because I find myself more and more agreeing with certain Republican opinions on how the left constantly, for lack of a better term, pulls crap out of their a**ses. It just sounds too much like something they would say, with all due respect.
And if this story is true and publicized, God help them.

SouthernDem on May 10, 2007 at 10:05 PM

Heh. Another correction that didn’t make the rounds.

Bryan on May 10, 2007 at 10:06 PM

Bryan on May 10, 2007 at 9:54 PM

I thought the same thing, I must be missing something. I see nothing in JD’s post that contradicts the account, other than his own source thinking it likely didn’t happen.

Caution is indeed necessary (as I, and plenty of others have said). But Bryan didn’t post this in an effort to rumor monger, he posted what someone else is claiming right now. This is nothing new. And when you consider Bryan’s caveats, he’s clearly not pushing anything, just getting a jump on a potential story by reporting what others are claiming right now, but not claiming any confirmation of it.

amerpundit on May 10, 2007 at 9:56 PM

Of course there are, this is why I ramble on and on whenever a new Bush “scandal” breaks (pretty much weekly). There never is a scandal, but the media reports the allegations without any evidence and when the true story reveals that there was no scandal, the media usually just ignores it, and at best a newspaper might bury a correction somewhere where no one would ever see it.

I wish folks would wake up. Your experience with your friend is just an illustration of what has gone on throughout the president’s entire presidency. It’s tough to wrap your mind around the whole thing, but Bush’s poll numbers are what they are because of this phenomenon. The Iraq situation is what it is today because of this phenomenon as well.

I don’t think folks really understand just what’s going on. And it all ties in to what O’Reilly’s been exposing about Soros’ efforts. There’s a big machine running this whole thing, despite the lies about a “vast right wing conspiracy”. There’s a conspiracy, and it’s vast, but it ain’t right.. but it’s incredibly successful, and I see no way of defeating it on the horizon.

RightWinged on May 10, 2007 at 10:09 PM

But this, in my opinion, is vast left wing conspiracy gossip.

And if this story is true and publicized, God help them.

When do these stop being “isolated incidents” to you people? This is a LOOOOOOOOONG pattern, but every time they come up, the media either completely ignores them or minimizes them.. but they happen CONSTANTLY. Was conspiracy theory talk to be outraged over Reid bragging about the opportunity to pick up seats over the Iraq war, while he was stalling the bill and calling the war lost WHILE TROOPS ARE IN HARMS WAY! Is it just rumor mongering when we point out how Democrats who call Bush a liar spent 13 years leading up to the war making an even stronger WMD case, including Clinton making regime change our policy before attacking Iraq himself!? Is it “rumors” when Kerry calls the troops idiots? How about when Durbin calls them Nazis? I could literally go on for days.

RightWinged on May 10, 2007 at 10:13 PM

RightWinged on May 10, 2007 at 10:13 PM

Pardon me brother, but the “you people” you’re referring to have realized, finally, what is going on. Just because I don’t buy every partisan story, left or right, that comes along before there are facts doesn’t mean I can’t piece together evidence, i.e. how the Dems are manipulating facts concerning the GWOT. Just because I’m a skeptic doesn’t make me and fool.

SouthernDem on May 10, 2007 at 10:21 PM

Rather “me *a* fool”.

SouthernDem on May 10, 2007 at 10:23 PM

Bryan: I haven’t said it wasn’t true either, rather, that I doubt that it is. When I see something so grossly out-of-character — I, after all, have lived with Sebelius for five years — I ask “why”. She doesn’t need to do this. The circumstances surrounding this point to simpler reasons. Therefore I doubt that it did.

As others have noted here, however, nothing would surprise me less than to find that it did. I just don’t think it happened this way based on what I’ve seen and heard.

j.d. on May 10, 2007 at 10:33 PM

He’ll then team up with a liberal somewhere and get an AIDS test.

Way to run for president, Sam.

Valiant on May 10, 2007 at 10:34 PM

like i said. even if this story is confirmed and it breaks, the msm and the nutroots will be successfull in reducing it to a tiny speck and blowing it away. the quewstion is how long it endures before it’s lost. as it is, it’s a story about a story about a story. the larger you write it, the better.

i’m not saying be reckless with it. but you don’t have to be gentle with it either.

jummy on May 10, 2007 at 10:41 PM

and good work bryan.

jummy on May 10, 2007 at 10:42 PM

This is what Democrats do every single minute of every single hour of every single day. Every event is analyzed to determine the best way to twist the facts and distort the truth for political gain and that becomes their talking points for that event. Yes its true that both Republicans and Democrats lie, but for Democrats, the lie is always the first choice, its their standard operating procedure day in and day out.

Maxx on May 10, 2007 at 10:44 PM

I’d also like to add that I never intended my post to be a comprehensive refutation of what appeared here; rather, just an alternate explanation. As I noted in my previous comment, both could be true.

j.d. on May 10, 2007 at 10:47 PM

Dean’s use of misrepresentation, bitterness and hate to energize his wing of the Dem party will be the ruin of it, or us, whichever comes first.

petefrt on May 10, 2007 at 10:48 PM

j.d. on May 10, 2007 at 10:33 PM

Speaking for myself, I think she did need to do it. First of all, Sebelius is the Chairwoman of the Democratic Governors Association. She partially owes her position to Dean, as he’s head of the DNC.

There’s also been rumors that she plans to run for a VP position in ’08, for which she’d need Dean’s backing. Here’s the most interesting part, though. From Wikipedia:

Sam Brownback, a current Senator from Kansas, a candidate for the 2008 presidential election, currently occupies that seat, and has vowed not to serve beyond the two terms he has already been elected to. She could also run for the Senate in 2008 against Pat Roberts.

Again, something she’d need backing, if only financial, from the DNC headed by Dean.

amerpundit on May 10, 2007 at 10:49 PM

BTW, my quote is referring to rumor she’s planning on running for Brownback’s seat.

amerpundit on May 10, 2007 at 10:51 PM

How refreshing it would be for Brownback to hold a press conference and spill the entire story on live TV.

The only reason I can see for him not to (“y’know, Kathleen, with all you’ve done to artificially tank the President’s numbers we couldn’t afford not to take this shot…”) is if someone has equal dirt on him.

And that’s sad.

James on May 10, 2007 at 10:57 PM

She doesn’t need to do this.

j.d. on May 10, 2007 at 10:33 PM

Oh but didn’t she? You do what you’re told by the hierarchy of the Democratic Party or you’re in trouble, it’s as simple as that. I’m not certain who gives orders to Dean to pass down, but Democrats know they better do whatever it takes to play politics with any issue because they can’t win on positions on actual issues. Death, destruction, and chaos are the only thing worth praying for in the mind of the modern Democrat. I mean it when I repeatedly say, these people are evil SOBs. They want more troop deaths or they can’t score political points. They want us to lose in Iraq and are forcing that loss as we speak because they need it.

In light of this, I can’t help but wonder why Blanco took so long to ask for FEMA and National Guard for New Orleans, while she was out publicly blaming Bush. Sound familiar? Female Democratic Governor dishonestly blaming President Bush for the post-disaster effort, while it was the finger pointer herself at fault for any delays!

RightWinged on May 10, 2007 at 10:57 PM

lies, but only as a means toward “larger truths”, petefrt. what thomas sowell calls the “visions of the annointed”.

jummy on May 10, 2007 at 10:58 PM

Fair enough, j.d. One of the reasons I called up Quinn & Rose was to hear the story from them myself, to hear about the source from them myself, and assess them as witnesses based on what I heard from them myself. They didn’t strike me as kooks at all. They struck me as reasonable people who believed what they were telling me and that what they were telling me wasn’t based on nothing. That doesn’t make the story true by any means, but after conversing with both of them I came away thinking that this was worth posting and pursuing. Blogs are made for this kind of pursuit. Well, this blog was anyway.

Bryan on May 10, 2007 at 11:07 PM

Has Ray Nagin or Gov. Blanco offered to help? I hear there’s some slightly damp school busses available in New Chocolate City, formeraly New Orleans.

Mojave Mark on May 10, 2007 at 11:16 PM

Many asked the same of Blanco – WHY did she say NO to feds stepping in – I think the proof was in the email – she didn’t want to relinquish control at any cost and was counseled to shop for casual Liz Wear for her photo-ops.

I agree the vernacular of the “Please Note” is a tad bit cartoonish and doesn’t seem right – but the overall theme sadly has a fake but accurate of monumental proportions.

Topsecretk9 on May 10, 2007 at 11:21 PM

overall theme sadly has a fake but accurate **scenario** of monumental proportions.

Topsecretk9 on May 10, 2007 at 11:23 PM

Well, as I have said on many an occasion, the left stopped being an honest opponent a long time ago.

Bob's Kid on May 10, 2007 at 11:28 PM

Most definately worth pursuing, but if it doesn’t pan out then it would have to be dropped like a bad habit (imho) less it become more like a conspiracy and nothing is more irritating than a conspiracy theory as of late.

Truth, fact, logic, and a healthy dose of objectivity is what keeps me coming back here like an addict.

mojowire on May 10, 2007 at 11:29 PM

All I can think of to explain this is that Brownback actually had the conversation but can’t prove it. This is too huge to let it go but because he didn’t record the call or whatever, all he can do is put it out there anonymously.
If I were in his shoes I would be so damn mad about this and the fact that there is no way to prove it, leaking would be the most benign option I would be considering.

TBinSTL on May 10, 2007 at 11:32 PM

She doesn’t need to do this.

Which thing did she not need to do? Blame Bush on Dean’s behest? Or blame him of her own free will? Or do you mean she didn’t need to tell this to Brownback?

The one thing we do know is that her initial response in the press was to blame Bush and Iraq for not having enough National Guard support. Whether she had to do that or not, she did it.
So what are you saying she didn’t need to do?

MayBee on May 10, 2007 at 11:43 PM

This thread is a perfect example of the difference between HA and huffpo et al.

I see caution and a desire for facts. I am proud to be a member here.

csdeven on May 11, 2007 at 12:14 AM

I don’t see how the original nonsense should have got past the first question from a reporter – “did you send your National Guard there?”

Not that something like that ever got asked, initially.

major john on May 11, 2007 at 12:30 AM

So then which party has the “culture of corruption”? I’m confused.

Rick on May 11, 2007 at 12:54 AM

So then which party has the “culture of corruption”? I’m confused.

Rick on May 11, 2007 at 12:54 AM

what a question!

did you happen to know that ranking member of the house ethics committee, Rep. Alan Mollohan (D-WV) recently had to step down from that position, having diverted over $100 MILLION to his personal business partners?

no? must not be news then.

jummy on May 11, 2007 at 1:02 AM

jummy on May 11, 2007 at 1:02 AM

C’mon jummy, you know the rule: it’s only news when there is an (R) next to the name.

Rick on May 11, 2007 at 1:10 AM

MayBee raises an excellent point -why did this Governor do this without merit, necessity and in a red state during a moment of duress?

I mean, NO ONE can predict a tornado touch down and Kansan’s sorta know the risk/possibility probability. Additionally, while federal “help” is needed, I am not sure a massive military presence on a small town respond/reconstruct is even welcomed. In fact, these residents – accustomed to taking care of their own – might not appreciate being micro-federally managed into stagnation for the sake of a MSM orgasmic report or photo op. (Think Alabama/Katrina)

Getting back to Maybee’s comment…why did Sebelius – who’d you think is in tune with her state – go immediate Bush Bash so evidentiary patently not true and more importantly why did she do the major walk back from that seemingly cheap political point post haste?

ALSO – if true – whatup with the Dem leadership strong arming the women in their party?

Topsecretk9 on May 11, 2007 at 1:18 AM

jummy on May 11, 2007 at 1:02 AM

Or that Diane Feinstein resigned from MILCON, after an online paper pointed out that as chairwoman of MILCON, she gave contracts to her husband’s companies, worth billions. They personally made millions on it.

amerpundit on May 11, 2007 at 1:20 AM

Jiminy Cricket, I’ve got Dean on my mind

raises an excellent point -why did this Governor do this without merit, necessity and in a red state during a moment of **DISTRESS**?

I meant!

Topsecretk9 on May 11, 2007 at 1:20 AM

amerpundit on May 11, 2007 at 1:20 AM

hey now, milcon is the appropriations committe responsible for funding and oversight of veterans affairs. that would mean that she dropped the ball on building 8 of the famous and thoroughly-covered walter reed scandal. that can’t be true. the legacy media insists that was bush’s fault.

jummy on May 11, 2007 at 1:29 AM

amerpundit on May 10, 2007 at 9:14 PM

Its doesn’t matter if it’s true or not. Remember the liberal line “It’s the seriousness of the charge that matters”

Gwillie on May 11, 2007 at 1:52 AM

LOL, “seriousness of the charge”!!!

I’d forgotten about that piece of work. Question, did Tom Delay ever have to go to court for his supposed breaking of the law? I don’t think so. He was INDICTED. Which means only that someone is indicating that he might have done something wrong. Gosh I hate that kind of stuff.

seriously though, “seriousness of the charge”, that’s classic

j_ehman on May 11, 2007 at 2:03 AM

I just updated myself on that Tom Delay thing… they still can’t find anything to convict him with (gotta love it), and one of the charges was thrown out by a judge. The DA appealed, and the appeals court held up the judges decision. They have nothing, seriously.

j_ehman on May 11, 2007 at 2:12 AM

F*cking Democraps!

The sooner they implode the DNC HQ building in DC to turn it into a hot dog stand, the better.

georgej on May 11, 2007 at 2:12 AM