Video: Bill Richardson’s job interview

posted at 3:54 pm on May 9, 2007 by Allahpundit

Flags and trumpets are too generic for a second-tier candidate, so he’s playing it light to showcase his one advantage over the big three. Of course, he’s actually interviewing for the bottom half of the ticket, not the top; the question is who’ll be sitting on the other side of the desk when the time comes to pick a veep. As an experienced pol from the southwest, he’d be a nice complement to either Hillary, Obama, or Edwards, although the fact that he’s Latino might make the Dems nervous about pairing him up with Barry O. Which brings up an interesting question: If Obama’s the nominee and Richardson’s not his veep, who is? Edwards has already been there and done that and Hillary won’t stand for less than number one, which means the left might find itself suddenly shorthanded.

Obama/Hagel fusion ’08?

Comments

Obama would probably need to reach for a Washington Insider. I doubt it would be a currently siting Senator because the dems want to hold the senate.

Id say someone in the house would have to stand up. Would be a riot if Murtha got the nod.

William Amos on May 9, 2007 at 4:05 PM

I’d suggest John Kerry. He’d be the best one to fill the Democratic vice president slot – for the Republican party.

amerpundit on May 9, 2007 at 4:08 PM

Billy Boy,

You forgot to mention that you used to pitch for the Kansas City Royals, err.. you were drafted by the Royals, yeah that’s the ticket.

there it is on May 9, 2007 at 4:09 PM

Obama would probably need to reach for a Washington Insider.

Obama needs a Cheney… Too bad Lieberman was excommunicated. If Obama gets the nomination, the VP nominee will be someone with foreign policy/military credibility. Wesley Clark might be an option. Bob Kerrey could have been an option if half his base didn’t think he was a war criminal.

rw on May 9, 2007 at 4:22 PM

When Bill Richardson says he cut taxes, it’s time for Forrest to run like never before. He RAISED taxes hugely, with a teensy tiny targeted income range that got a small cut.

Being the good soc*alist that he is, he “knows” you can’t balance a budget with tax cuts, so how can he claim to have cut taxes AND balanced a budget five times? Because he used Clinton’s budget reporting methods, and pushed piles of discretionary items off-budget.

Cheeseball.

Freelancer on May 9, 2007 at 4:25 PM

Wesley

I had to hold my nose while typing that.

Connie on May 9, 2007 at 4:39 PM

Obama/Webb

Entelechy on May 9, 2007 at 4:58 PM

I just think he’s angry about that whole Hillary hiring Raul Yzaguirre thing.

Speakup on May 9, 2007 at 5:04 PM

It says a lot about the state of the Democrat party that Richardson is solidly in fourth place.

billy on May 9, 2007 at 5:05 PM

Bill’s looking for a job. Is Wen Ho Lee listed as a reference?

Wade on May 9, 2007 at 5:06 PM

Hey AP,

I’d say Sebelius just turned in her job application the other day, didn’t she?

j.d. on May 9, 2007 at 5:11 PM

I was wondering how you dump $600 million into the school system and move from 46th in teacher’s salaries to 29th, without digging into taxpayer wallets. But heh, that’s considered a big plus for any Dem.

Did grades and SAT scores improve correspondingly?

Clever ad, not so clever candidate. There are tons of Clintonista leftover hacks who traveled all over the world during his administration, while accomplishing little or nothing.

Maybe Sean Penn could be his VP – lots of foreign policy experience.

fogw on May 9, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Last night on the Kansas thread I as snarking about their Dem. Governorette. Seeing as how this snake in sheep’s clothing is the Governor of my State of residence, I was , unfortunately, being very hypocritical.

I’ve known Richardson personally (but, admittedly, not closely) for about 23 years. My impression of him at first meeting was about as negative as possible, without running away screaming and immersing myself into a bath of boiling acid to cleanse myself. That was long before he became a Clinton operative.

He may have learned a few tricks from Bill & Hill, but he taught them a few new ones too. It is beyond me how he has been able to fool so many conservatives Republicans into thinking that he is ‘OK’.

I can ALMOST understand how Bill Clinton might be able to ‘charm’ even people who are not aligned with him politically or financially…. But Richardson charming people like that??? It happens, A LOT; (most of the ‘movers and shakers’ of my normally staunchly conservative neck of the woods still think he is the ‘the second coming.) But for the life of me, I can’t understand how.

Just one practical illustration of this guy’s incomprehensible promises: The thing that got our ‘leaders to back him during his first run for Governor was his promise to make our little community college into; (QUOTE): “A World Class, Full, University” (which was patently ridiculous on the face of it), and (paraphrase) to develop a strong manufacturing /industrial base to provide for hundreds of high paying jobs for our community. (Which just happens to be a mountain resort community that survives off of outrageously high real estate prices and tourism with no possible infrastructure for industry.)

What did he deliver on those promises? About a hundred thousand bucks (of a post-election promised half million) for the “University” Community College, and two or three new State funded bureaucrat jobs in town, (filled by outsiders), dictating how we should manage our community. And yet our ‘movers and shakers’ still overwhelmingly supported him for re-election. I just don’t get it.

And don’t even get me started on Planes, Trains and Rocket Ships.

LegendHasIt on May 9, 2007 at 5:32 PM

Last night on the Kansas thread I as snarking about their Dem. Governorette

Sorry, should be: … Kansas thread I WAS snarking…

LegendHasIt on May 9, 2007 at 5:45 PM

He Sucks.

auspatriotman on May 9, 2007 at 5:53 PM

Obama/Kucinich

Rick on May 9, 2007 at 6:25 PM

I’m rather fond of alliteration. Hows about:

Obama-Osama-08 ?

(It’s a literary and poetic thing of beauty.)

CyberCipher on May 9, 2007 at 6:37 PM

Oh my God!

Perhaps I’m showing my age, but this ad (especially the first clip) seems to be an homage to an Public Service Announcement in the late 60′s/early 70′s where Abraham Lincoln was at an employment agency, but didn’t have a college degree, so the guy was eating a sandwich at his desk, and blew him off. This guy was eating a sandwich in the Richardson ad too!

Am I the only one who caught this reference? Does anyone else remember the ad I’m talking about? Anyone?

asc85 on May 9, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Oh, I did forget to mention one (private) promise that he made to our biggest ‘mover and shaker’ on which he DID fully deliver:

The richest guy in our community, and one of the top five of the State, (Owns race tracks, casinos, golf courses, real estate developments and hotels all over the country), had for a couple of years been trying to build another, a super-exclusive, golf course / real estate development out in distant ‘suburbs’ of our town.

The State Engineer (who is in charge of such things for the State) and a bunch of consulting hydrologists, geologists etc. all determined that there was not enough water physically present to provide for his new golf course AND the established citizens, ranchers and farmers of our county and the next one over. And the water rights lawyers said that he would be in effect stealing the Water Rights from their rightful holders ‘downstream’ from him. (There have been wars, literally, fought over Water Rights around here before.)

After the maximum legal donation to Richardson’s campaign (and no telling how much under the table), one of Richardson’s very first official acts was to replace the recalcitrant State Engineer with someone more… um..’flexible’…. Who, for his first official act, approved the new golf course / real estate development for our ‘Mr. Big’.

So, Richardson DOES deliver, fully, on SOME of his promises... I was mistaken earlier when I said he didn’t. (Mostly, though, the promises he delivers on are ones that if the ‘hoi polloi’ of our State knew about and were able intellectually understand, would revert to old western style justice; involving at minimum, hot tar / pitch, bird’s plumage and a rail, and possibly even a rope, a tree and a horse.)

LegendHasIt on May 9, 2007 at 6:41 PM

Maybe Edwards is willing to accept the #2 spot with Obama.

Entelechy on May 9, 2007 at 6:44 PM

asc85 on May 9, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Now that you mention it, I remember it, vaguely. Never would have thought of it on my own though.

LegendHasIt on May 9, 2007 at 6:46 PM

Entelechy on May 9, 2007 at 6:44 PM

Couldn’t resist the humor (sorry) but the line that comes to mind is from Star Wars:

“the student has become the master”

Bradky on May 9, 2007 at 7:39 PM

Credit where credit’s due, that was a polished ad

Simple, yet effective – even if some of the statements made within it are.. ‘being challenged’..

Reaps on May 10, 2007 at 8:58 AM