Somalis burn Muslim women’s veils

posted at 10:29 am on May 9, 2007 by Allahpundit

A defiant, cathartic act of feminist liberation a la bra-burnings in the 1970s?

Nah. It’s a security measure.

The crackdown on veils is a highly symbolic turnaround for Mogadishu after Islamist leaders, who controlled the city in the second half of 2006, had instructed women to wear them.

“Every policeman and government soldier has orders to confiscate veils from veiled women,” senior police officer Ali Nur told Reuters in Mogadishu, saying various recent attacks had been carried out by people in disguise.

“Some of the remnants of the Islamic Courts have been caught wearing veils. During the war, these remnants, pretending to be women, killed so many government troops.”

Somalis are generally moderate Muslims, and most women traditionally cover their heads but not faces. Officials say some suicide attacks have been carried out by men disguised under full face-veils.

Only one Somali woman is quoted in the piece. Wild-guess exit question: Is she pro- or anti-veil?

Update: Nicolas Sarkozy is vowing to burn a few veils himself.

“France will be at the sides of the Libyan nurses locked up for eight years; France will not abandon Ingrid Betancourt; France will not abandon the women who are condemned to the burqa; France will not abandon the women who do not have liberty. France will be by the side of the oppressed of the world. This is the message of France; this is the identity of France; this is the history of France.”

Comments

sounds (and i emphasize the word sounds)like Sarkozy may be the “real deal”. i hope i’m correct

mfnorman on May 9, 2007 at 10:51 AM

I’m ashamed to say my first thought when I read that headline was ‘Were the women still wearing them?’

austinnelly on May 9, 2007 at 10:52 AM

why? it’s what we’ve come to expect from these radicals

mfnorman on May 9, 2007 at 11:02 AM

True, hence my thought. I’m not sunk so far into the pit of despair though that I don’t occaisionally wish I could see daylight.

austinnelly on May 9, 2007 at 11:07 AM

Wild-guess exit question: Is she pro- or anti-veil?

You wouldn’t be asking if she wasn’t pro-veil. Follow-on wild-guess before I confirm I’m right – this dispatch comes to us from al-Reuters.

steveegg on May 9, 2007 at 11:15 AM

So, what do I win?

steveegg on May 9, 2007 at 11:16 AM

I like Nick. I don’t know how successful his agenda will be.

Krydor on May 9, 2007 at 11:23 AM

“France will be at the sides of the Libyan nurses locked up for eight years; France will not abandon Ingrid Betancourt; France will not abandon the women who are condemned to the burqa; France will not abandon the women who do not have liberty. France will be by the side of the oppressed of the world. This is the message of France; this is the identity of France; this is the history of France”
If this had been said by anyone other than Sarkozy, it would have been followed by…..” We surrender!!!”

mrfixit on May 9, 2007 at 1:37 PM

I just might by some French wine to celebrate if this guy is the real deal.

driller on May 9, 2007 at 2:25 PM

I haven’t thought much of the French since World War I, but it sounds like they may just have grown a pair…

serenity on May 9, 2007 at 3:30 PM

I hope this guy is successful.
I hope France is successful.
And Germany.

Kini on May 9, 2007 at 4:31 PM

Wearing a veil to look like a woman and kill someone is so Muslim. Screaming bloody murder over a piece of ham being put near you is so Muslim too.

Priorities? How about catching men in drag and smacking them with ham? Most of the Muslim women I’ve seen around could stand a veil, not to keep me from evil thoughts but helping me to keep down a BLT.

Hening on May 9, 2007 at 5:16 PM

What, nothing here from Ayaan? This’d be the perfect excuse to quote her.

Tony737 on May 9, 2007 at 10:07 PM