Lileks could use a hand

posted at 2:49 am on May 7, 2007 by see-dubya

James Lileks is a funny guy and a damn fine writer. I’ve been reading him at Lileks.com since 2002 and am amazed that he hasn’t been snapped up by a major national paper. For a long time he did have an indispensible political column with Newhouse News Service (ha, no link, losers) that, a couple of weeks ago, was abruptly dispensed.

And now his home paper, the Minneapolis Star Tribune (likewise), has decided that since they have in Lileks a nationally-known top-notch bestselling humor writer and political commentator, they need to…

…pick up the slack left by Newhouse and give him a regular spot on the editorial page?

No. No, that would be smart.

No, they decided to kill his humor column (the “Quirk”) and move him into news reporting, covering the sparkling Minneapolis Internet scene.

Hewitt calls it an error of “New Coke” magnitude.

What a waste. Oh, he’ll do a fine job of it, but to use a Hot Air-appropriate metaphor, it’s like Fox News finally gave Michelle her own show, reading stock quotes at 3:15AM. With Nancy Grace.

Lileks has intimated that a few polite words on his behalf might urge the management to reconsider. If you’re interested, the readers’ rep page is here.

___

Okay, I’m out. Thanks to Hot Air for having me, to y’all for reading, commenting, and linking, to my dashing and debonair stand-ins at Junkyard Blog (Geoff, Okie, and Cameron), and to Allah–who, during the middle of his vacation, wrote to tell me that, hey, Rosie was making a fool of herself on the View.

On his vacation.

Comments

Oh man, what Dennis Miller might have done with this instead.

Anyway, it’s been nice havin’ ya See-Dubya… Until next time.

RightWinged on May 7, 2007 at 2:58 AM

Both feet.

bdfaith on May 7, 2007 at 3:04 AM

The newspaper business is going to hell. There’s no future for Lileks in Minneapolis. He’s lucky they don’t have him driving a delivery route.

Ali-Bubba on May 7, 2007 at 3:08 AM

I would disagree, Ali B. Because of the web there’s a future for Lileks anywhere he wants to live.

He can move to Alaska, if he wants, and write for a paper in LA, London, or Singapore, and syndicate the column around the world into local papers and sites like Townhall.

He’s been making noises about wanting to move to Arizona. Maybe this will send him there.

see-dubya on May 7, 2007 at 3:15 AM

Thanks for the thanks, See-Dubya. And, once again, you’ve done a great job during Allah’s vacation.

ccwbass on May 7, 2007 at 4:56 AM

Yeah, Lileks’ predicament is almost as bad as having a late-night show on Fox News! Hey, wait…

Jim Treacher on May 7, 2007 at 6:19 AM

The Strib continues its inexorable drive to the bottom.

Well done, See-Dubya.

Jaibones on May 7, 2007 at 6:41 AM

ttfn. loved your postings. i’ll be sure to check out junkyard blog more often.

jummy on May 7, 2007 at 8:00 AM

Great job see-dubya.

csdeven on May 7, 2007 at 9:15 AM

Thank you, see-dubya.

I knew he would miss us.

PattyAnn on May 7, 2007 at 9:33 AM

That’s just wrong about Lileks. Bonafide National Treasure, that one is. Big mistake on his employer’s part. Very short-sighted.

Ya done good, See-Dubya. Enjoyed your posts, as always. Job well done!

techno_barbarian on May 7, 2007 at 9:35 AM

More kudos, see-dubya. You do great work.

mikeyboss on May 7, 2007 at 9:36 AM

Wow! I knew that our MSM overlords were dense, but I had no idea they were capable of such reckless, arrogant stupidity. This makes me want to subscribe just so I can call up, cancel and tell them why.

Kensington on May 7, 2007 at 10:54 AM

See-ya-Dubya. Ill pop over to junkyard blog from time to time.

Aylios on May 7, 2007 at 11:31 AM

I don’t read that piece o’ crap paper anyway, (but I do use the bags to pick up my doggie’s doo-doo.) Lileks’ column is popular with everyone here regardless of politics because he’s talented. My libtarded friends here at work have no idea what his politics are but I know they like him because they talk about his columns, (we get the paper at work and some read it during their breaks.)

foxforce91 on May 7, 2007 at 2:57 PM

You did a great job standing in for Allah, See-Dubya.

And thanks for inviting me to post at your blog – I enjoyed it mightily.

geoff on May 8, 2007 at 4:15 AM