Sarko cruises, Socialist loses!

posted at 5:35 pm on May 6, 2007 by see-dubya

I know, it’s hard to get that excited about French politics. And when I say the “pro-American” candidate won…well, the more pro-america candidate won.* How’s that? But come on, people, France chose–by a pretty “comfortable margin”– law and order and, if not a firm American alliance, a modestly pro-Western alliance in the War on Terror over appeasement. And they rejected a warmed-over 1968 hippie who makes London’s Red Ken look like Strom Thurmond. Let’s give them some credit.

Segolene Royal**, Sarkozy’s defeated opponent, has–promised? predicted? threatened?—violence should the Right win. It’s already started, as you can see from this slide show, and we may be in for an interesting evening. I’ll bump and update if stuff starts really blowing up. So since I anticipate lots of pictures of filthy anarchists getting truncheoned into the pee-reeking gutters, let’s put up something pleasant for now. In the fine blogospheric tradition of posting attractive women backing the pro-freedom candidates in elections around the world, I’ll give you a tres chic Sarkozy backer:

Woohoo!

Vive la France!

EXIT QUESTION: As asked in headline of this incoherent leftist Dutch paper: “How far will the New York Times go to get a neo-con elected in France?”

(Snort.)

_____
* For what it’s worth, his wife wears cowboy boots. So that’s something.
** Because they are in the metric system. In America, she is known as “Segolene Quarter-Pounder”.

Comments

Not since Charlemagne …..

shooter on May 6, 2007 at 5:44 PM

How do you say “Sarkozy Derangement Syndrome” and “unhinged” in French?

At least France chose the lesser of two evils, so it could have been worse. And I’m always happy to see a Socialist get an ass-kicking.

P.S. Nice Pulp Fiction reference. I’d ask if she was with cheese, but I don’t think I want to know.

ReubenJCogburn on May 6, 2007 at 5:46 PM

Symbolic but just a wee bit so. The moment the 35 hr wk week and 6 weeks paid vacation get touched France shuts down and Sarkozy throws in the towel.

Limerick on May 6, 2007 at 5:50 PM

Maybe there will be hope for France. Maybe they will be able to take the bull by the horns and take care of the Muslim problem which is destroying their beloved country.

Let them be a showcase of what can be done to bring a country back to what it use to be before Muslims.

One can only hope!!!

bjb on May 6, 2007 at 5:52 PM

Viva les Capitalistes!!

tickleddragon on May 6, 2007 at 5:53 PM

Damn those violent French youths.

RedWinged Blackbird on May 6, 2007 at 5:53 PM

Hotair is becoming so pessimistic despite this glorious victory, alas.

I, on the other hand, see French engineers building nice environmentally-friendly fission reactors in the United States soon, and the end of O’Reilly’s boycott. Oh, and a Transatlantic tunnel from New York to Paris call The Friendship Tube. :D Cheers!

Typewriter King on May 6, 2007 at 5:56 PM

Segolene Royal**, Sarkozy’s defeated opponent, has–promised? predicted? threatened?—violence . . .

They’re only doing what the right in every country does when they lose. Just remember last November when the Republicans in this country lost both houses of Congress. There were riots everywhere. . .

Wait. . .

I just checked my facts, and I have to apologize. The right never even hints or threatens violence if we lose.

Troy Rasmussen on May 6, 2007 at 6:02 PM

RIP
US-French Alliance
1776-2003
(with rough patches)

Resurrection
US-French Alliance
2007? – ?

hadsil on May 6, 2007 at 6:02 PM

500 demonstrators, composed of people coming from Ségolène Royal’s headquarters as well as suburban French youth, converged towards a barge docked on the Rhône river that was rented for a Sarkozy victory party. Fully loaded garbage cans were thrown from a nearby bridge, missing the barge. Fights broke out on the riverside shortly shortly after. Riot police surrounded the barge and aimed flash guns at the demonstrators.

RushBaby on May 6, 2007 at 6:10 PM

Hungarian/Jewish, Spanish/Jewish first couple……I might like this situation more after all, and others might like it less……….good.

Limerick on May 6, 2007 at 6:17 PM

Look at the Yahoo slide show that’s linked to by See-Dubya in the main text. I think at least two-thirds or more of the photo’s are of a smiling, waving Segolene Royal – from that slide show, you’d think she WON, rather than lost. Think the MSM is disappointed? Much? Heh.

bofh on May 6, 2007 at 6:18 PM

Margaret Warner at PBS must be reaching for the prozac and valium right now. Poor thing must be crushed!

Limerick on May 6, 2007 at 6:25 PM

What are the YOUTHS doing over there now, it must be just about witching hour… midnight.
And remember, they’re just youths.
I just took a second to peek at LGF, and …well you can guess.

“Mohamed Mechmache, President of AC Le Feu — an association created following the November 2005 riots, has ominously warned that that “France did not understand the message sent during the riots in October and November of 2005.”

Lets count the number of times we hear or read the word YOUTHS in the next 48 hours. Calculator anyone?

shooter on May 6, 2007 at 6:25 PM

A word of advice for the French Police…”Use Real Live Ammo” !

DoctorDentons on May 6, 2007 at 6:27 PM

Even the French are getting tired of socialists!

flipflop on May 6, 2007 at 6:28 PM

Meanwhile, deep in the Tennessee backwoods, a rumble is heard at the Fred! bunker:
“Wait ’til they get a load of me.”

billy on May 6, 2007 at 6:34 PM

Merci HA for having a thread on this topic.

Sarko cruises, Socialist Ségo loses…the left lights fuses

…in addition to the few on the streets, the leftie party might split in two…couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch…

”Her defeat will be extremely damaging for the left. Huge divisions will start to emerge at 8pm on Sunday,” says Eric Dupin, author of A Droite Toute, a book on the rightward shift of French voters.

My HA frequent argument-buddy, a liberal American who lives in Brittany, and is married to a French lady, wrote me this note on November 21, 2006:

It’s looking like Ségolène Royal is going to be taking the next presidentials here in France. She’s the socialist, so we can prolly expect strikes, tax increases, higher jobless rate and all the rest. Good thing the food and wine is good and cheap. Wonder if we’ll have disgruntled youth in the streets come spring…

THeDRiFTeR on November 21, 2006 at 5:09 PM

It looks like THeDRiFTeR was right on the ‘fuses’ and wrong on Ségolène. To his benefit, and ours, hopefully some of the other mentions will not materialize.

And it’s always a good thing when “the food and wine is good and cheap”.

À votre santé mes amis français!

Entelechy on May 6, 2007 at 6:43 PM

I agree with Ann Coulter…we must invade France!

Ropera on May 6, 2007 at 6:44 PM

French riot police use “flash guns”? I think I see the problem.

Buzzy on May 6, 2007 at 6:45 PM

It’s nice to see that there is some reason is left in France.

Will France survive to the end of Chiracs’ term?

Will Chirac make the effort to save France for Sarko’s term?

Could be interesting indeed.

Speakup on May 6, 2007 at 6:46 PM

Well THAT settles it. It’s clear that the Dutch have never READ the New York Times. No matter. Iowahawk is on it. BTW, considering the circulation statistics, how is the New York Times relevent (in any way)(about any topic)(other than lining the bird-cage, I mean).

CyberCipher on May 6, 2007 at 6:47 PM

How do you say “Sarkozy Derangement Syndrome” and “unhinged” in French?

ReubenJCogburn on May 6, 2007 at 5:46 PM

Syndrome De Dérangement De Sarkozy, and ébranlé.

However, nothing can have the same effect as “unhinged”, as when used here.

Entelechy on May 6, 2007 at 6:48 PM

A word of advice for the French Police…”Use Real Live Ammo” !

DoctorDentons on May 6, 2007 at 6:27 PM

Darn! — and I was going to suggest that we loan them the LAPD. But alas, they confine themselves to rubber bullets, and beating the stuffins’ outta’ people with their nightsticks.

Hmmm. Live Ammo, ya’ say. Nope. Not gonna’ go there — not after the recent events in Blacksburg.

CyberCipher on May 6, 2007 at 6:52 PM

I love the smell of socialist tears in the morning. It smells like….Victory!

csdeven on May 6, 2007 at 6:55 PM

Anyone notice how Segolene ran all caring and nuturing, pulled the vote-for-me-cause-I’m-female card, then ended on a threatening note? Vote for him and you’ll regret it.
Why does “Hillary” keep popping into my mind unbidden?

naliaka on May 6, 2007 at 6:57 PM

How long before Chirac has to slam the door behind him?

Limerick on May 6, 2007 at 7:04 PM

Never mind just found it….by May 17.

Limerick on May 6, 2007 at 7:07 PM

YAY : sort of, yay, anyway.

I notice that in one of his first speeches, Sarkozy, while claiming to be a friend of the United States, is demanding that we (America) take the lead in ending the scourge of global warming.

LegendHasIt on May 6, 2007 at 7:10 PM

How do you say Hillary Clinton/Ségolène Royal congratulatory pictures opportunity withdrawal syndrome?

Entelechy on May 6, 2007 at 7:15 PM

withdrawal syndrome?

Entelechy on May 6, 2007 at 7:15 PM

Yeah, poor Hillary, always suffering from withdrawal syndrome,,,,,,,Bill, National Health Care, Iraq, now Royal.

Limerick on May 6, 2007 at 7:22 PM

Good! But isn’t a French conservative more or less a RINO over here? Either way, I’m sure the riots of the “diaffected youths” whose religion we dare not name were the leading factor in his win, and, oh, that miserly GPD of France. :)

SouthernGent on May 6, 2007 at 7:24 PM

“But I [Sarkozy] want to tell them as well that friendship is accepting that one’s friends can act differently, and that a great nation like the United States has the duty to not obstruct the fight against global warming but on the contrary to head this struggle because what is at stake is the future of all humanity.”

Act differently = Act like John Fn Kerry

U.S. has the duty not to obstruct? According to who, the UN?

Sounds like SOS to me. France has not stopped sucking.

fogw on May 6, 2007 at 7:25 PM

I mean, I’m not throwing away my book of French jokes yet.

Yeah, he’s probably like John Kerry, who everyone said was French anyway. But having John Kerry in charge of France is better than having Madame Mao, yes?

I lived in England under Tony Blair. The man may actually believe in God but he’s a Hillary-style Socialist. But as much as I despise what he’s done with them domestically, I’m still happy he’s running the show as opposed to someone like Galloway or Ken Livingstone.

So it’s a more a “whew, dodged a bullet” than “yay!”

see-dubya on May 6, 2007 at 7:34 PM

Good! But isn’t a French conservative more or less a RINO over here?

Even a RINO is preferable to a socialist Demosaur.

William Amos on May 6, 2007 at 7:34 PM

fogw on May 6, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Since the Left was so heavily invested in Segolene, perhaps the 48 hour rule should be applied to anything the Leftie monopolized media reports about Sarkozy.

naliaka on May 6, 2007 at 7:36 PM

IMHO, the lesser of two evils is always better and reason enough to be cautiously optimistic.

csdeven on May 6, 2007 at 7:36 PM

Say, can Chirac be prosecuted now?

naliaka on May 6, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Say, can Chirac be prosecuted now?

naliaka on May 6, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Sorry for the dumb question but is the French political/legal system like Rome?…..Can’t be prosecuted as long as you have imperium? Or am I missing something really simple (like usual)?

Limerick on May 6, 2007 at 7:40 PM

Just imagine if Sarkozy had been French President in 2002. It would have been unlikely he would have threatened a veto of the Iraqi invasion (probably would have abstained)

That means Putin would have had to go out on a limb alone and I doubt he would have vetoed the Invasion resolution. That means we would have had full UN Backing of the Iraqi invasion.

The wouldwould have united behind us and Iraq wouldnt be the mess it is now.

The ONE KEY BRIGHT shining fact is now this means that we have more clout at the UN with France no longer as a nasty roadblock to peace. I hope we know this and while I dislike and distrust the UN maybe if France plays ball and Russia and China keeps silent we can make some efforts there end crisises in the Middle East.

But them it is the UN I wont hold my breath.

William Amos on May 6, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Say, can Chirac be prosecuted now?

naliaka on May 6, 2007 at 7:37 PM

I honestly hope not. Not because I like Chirac (I dislike him intenstly) but I can see some crazied moonbat in this country hounding GW to death after he leaves office with a warcrimes indictment from the UN courts seeking his arrest.

I think we need to strengthen the stalking laws against political stalkers.

William Amos on May 6, 2007 at 7:45 PM

That’s a toss-up.

But I would throw out a “yay!” if Kerry promised to move there permanently – a definite upside to your proposition.

fogw on May 6, 2007 at 7:59 PM

The PEOPLE of France have spoken…they are sick of the left, sick of unassimilated immigrants hijacking and debasing their beloved country, and sick of politicians pretending to care who just want to get elected. Will it have to get as bad here as it is there before the people wake up?

JustTruth101 on May 6, 2007 at 8:04 PM

…”socialist Demosaur.”

Oh, I’m gonna have myself a lot of fun slinging that one around. Yes, I do mean…errrm, liberally. Thanks, William.

Mike H on May 6, 2007 at 8:09 PM

JustTruth101 on May 6, 2007 at 8:04 PM

Exactly and well said!

Neocon Peg on May 6, 2007 at 8:21 PM

I’m not much a fan of French politics, but I have to say this is an interesting turn of events.

Earlier, I watched Sarkozy’s victory speech and coverage/analysis on the live feed of France24 English – which, surprisingly, was actually quite objective and interesting – check it out here if you’re so inclined…

CP on May 6, 2007 at 8:23 PM

Take that message and shove it up your a**. Then get the f*** out of the country.

jaleach on May 6, 2007 at 8:28 PM

Say, can Chirac be prosecuted now?
naliaka on May 6, 2007 at 7:37 PM

I’m not sure how this ended up.

William Amos on May 6, 2007 at 7:45 PM

William, this is what they wanted to get him for, not warcrimes or anything like it. If they do it, it will be legit. He was tied into Oil for Food, too, but I don’t know if he can be prosecuted in France for that.

Judges are said to have been keen to question Mr Chirac over an illegal party funding scandal involving fictitious jobs, which claimed the scalp of his protégé, Mr Juppé. In 2004, the former prime minister was given a 14-month suspended sentence and barred from politics for a year for his part in a scheme to put workers for Mr Chirac’s neo-Gaullist RPR on the town hall’s payroll in the 1980s.

Laura on May 6, 2007 at 8:40 PM

ooh. “friendship fries” i like that.

jummy on May 6, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Go ahead and have your fun. This guy’s first announcement, at the first hint that he was going to win, was alliance with the United States. France is our oldest ally, and I am thrilled at the very notion of a French partner in Europe, once again.

Global warming? So the f*ck what? He’s eye to eye with Newt Gingrich…

Jaibones on May 6, 2007 at 9:09 PM

call The Friendship Tube. :D Cheers!

Typewriter King on May 6, 2007 at 5:56 PM

AAY I got your friendship tube right here! Seriously, Fred Thompsom (for what it’s worth) did predict a rethinking of positions by our traditional allies in his Lincoln speech the other day.

sonnyspats1 on May 6, 2007 at 9:14 PM

I have to give them credit where credit is due. The French made the best of a bad set of choices.

Lawrence on May 6, 2007 at 9:49 PM

French nutroots gone wild BWWWWAAAAAAAAAA!

sonnyspats1 on May 6, 2007 at 10:04 PM

And as part of this new alliance, he’ll be sending French combat troops into Anwar province when? Walking the walk is different from talking the talk.

Sarkozy’s using the phrase “accepting that one’s friends can act differently” should be a giant red flag to our State Department. We already have a “friend” who acts differently, name of Putin. I’d like an ally who acts and thinks like we do, when it comes to fighting the war on terror. That would make them ……. an ally!

I sincerely hope you’re right Jaibones, but with the infusion of millions of Muslims in France, I fear you’re wrong. IMHO a quasi-friendly alliance with us will stir the pot of France’s non-voting age “youth”, and strengthening international relationships will take a back seat to appeasing the volatile masses on the home front. The French have a history of caving-in to threats, rather than standing up to them.

Words and deeds. Time will tell.

fogw on May 6, 2007 at 10:14 PM

Remember this, from Nov. 2004? How can 53% of the voting French be soooooo dumb?????

Also, on the plus side – au revoir messieurs Jaques Chirac et Dominique de Villepain. Good riddens!!!

Entelechy on May 6, 2007 at 10:15 PM

My friend fogw, by whom I wish to be adopted in the best of ways, even if only electronically, the alternative is one Ségolène Royal. It’s not perfect, but it’s so much better than if she’d have won. Otherwise I agree with your assessment of the French in general.

And I still adore you and your comments. A sheer delight!

Entelechy on May 6, 2007 at 10:19 PM

As I wrote over at Newsbusters concerning the N.Y. Times’ biased coverage:

Mon Deau! Alors! Sacre Bleu! (Hope I got the spellings close)

I guess the Times is so shaken at what’s gotten into the French peoples, both here and abroad. First Canada elects a conservative, now France! The libs at the Times are running scared!

kevcad on May 6, 2007 at 10:22 PM

kevcad, they can’t forget Mexico and Germany, by small margins, but still…in politica, a win is a win, as the great American philosopher Chris Matthews would say :)

Entelechy on May 6, 2007 at 10:24 PM

How do you say “Sarkozy Derangement Syndrome” and “unhinged” in French?

ReubenJCogburn on May 6, 2007 at 5:46 PM

Syndrome De Dérangement De Sarkozy, and ébranlé.

However, nothing can have the same effect as “unhinged”, as when used here.

Entelechy on May 6, 2007 at 6:48 PM

Thank you, Entelechy. I didn’t trust my high school French very far, because that was a long time ago, and I’ve slept since then.

ReubenJCogburn on May 6, 2007 at 10:25 PM

S/b ‘politics’ not ‘politica’ – and really, not that much champagne ’cause I don’t like it.

Entelechy on May 6, 2007 at 10:26 PM

Now that the French Army has its billards rescued from the liberals purse, it will be interesting to see how many troops are sent to Iraq where TotalFina has big business interests

EricPWJohnson on May 6, 2007 at 10:44 PM

We import so many things across the world now it looks like we’re importing BDS

oy

Defector01 on May 6, 2007 at 11:32 PM

Poor Segolene!

She can’t even offer to have sex with Saddam Hussein for world peace as a consolation prize!

(And Osama’s been impotent since a Tora got his Bora.)

What’s an appeaser to do?

profitsbeard on May 7, 2007 at 2:42 AM

Allow me to channel the left after the U.S. 2006 elections.

om……

This is ENTIRELY a reflection of this country’s AND THE WORLD’S view on IRAQ. The opinions on the occupation were PARAMOUNT!! to the outcome of this election.

This SHOWS what the people WANT, and canNOT be denied!!!!!

/end channeling.

Whew, I got the context, the hyperbole, and the odd capitalizations of words and excessive punctuation. However, I personally believe Iraq had little effect on their election. Their country’s economy and the localized political situation probably had more effect.

Lets try an example Americans can easily see. It’d be like if the Republicans were spending like drunken sailors, expanding the scope and power of the Federal Government on all fronts, and ignoring or allowing corruption before 2006, while avoiding doing anything that they promised to their base when they got elected initially in some “Contract with America”; In that case 2006 might have been about something other than Iraq as well.

It’s kind of like that… only in France. Iraq is part of it, probably not much though; the war in Iraq isn’t going to affect your taxes or your job like increased Domestic Govt. Spending and corrupt Politicians. And at the end of the day, people tend to vote for whoever they believe will keep things steady enough to keep their lives about the same; or fix the big problem affecting them.

gekkobear on May 7, 2007 at 3:14 AM

OBL asks, “Is Paris Burning?”

BohicaTwentyTwo on May 7, 2007 at 8:27 AM

Man check on the Al Jazeera english page on this election.

And you though daily KOS was bad !

Sarkozy has been elected in the poll, but French are divided fifty fifty. I don’t know he will be able to change a lot as he promised. May be he will, like George Bush was first time selected by the Supreme court and he is ruling the USA like a king with no respect of laws and democracy as he is trying to impose US will to others.
baz, Vancouver, Canada

I cannot understand why Sarkozy is giving a lifeline to NEOCONISM at a time when people in the USA are rushing to burry this catastrophic right wing policy that benefited none but Israel with the dismanteling of a sovereign Iraq that was considered as a danger to Israel’s existence with its fictional WMDs and approved by institutions the likes of AIPAC and the New American Century. I also deplore the role of the media that is supporting him unconditionally and without even probing his past failures as interior minister. Is this because he is planning radical economical changes in France that will give more power to Market leaders and increase the gap between the rich and the middle class? Is this the end and time to say Bye bye to Free health and social services! Long live obscene greed and exploitation with no mercy of Academics, professionals and those hard working citizens that deserve a break during the weekend. Let Sarkozy enslave them at the expense of family life!
Be Humble, , United Kingdom

Do people really vote freely in a democracy than in a dictatorship? Is the conditioning process of the voters in a democracy different from that of a dictatorship ? Who detains the opinion industry and the opinion containment in a democracy ? Do the majority of media serve truth and people in general or do they serve particular groups and individuals ? What role play opinion polls before elections? The speeches of the far-right leader Jean-Marie Le Pen and that of Sarkozy are actually the same, but 30% of the french ‘prefer’ Srakozy rather Le Pen.
al_morro, Mexico, Mexico

People should not be surprised that a Jew is running for president in a western country. The U.S.alone had at least 5 known Jewish presidents.The big issue,since so many political roads lead to Tel Aviv,is is he a Zionist or not ? Unfortunately, he is, his hate towards Arabs and Islam were made obvious when he created spy organizations surrounding the immigrant community. Sarkozy is very bad for France,Europe and the world.He is a candidate that sees eye to eye with sociopaths like George Bush and Olmert, the president of the Zionist entity. Since France has so many Islamic immigrants he would cause chaos! The issue is NOT that he is of Jewish descent the big issue is that he is a Zionists, and therefore, dangerous for world stability. It would be most unfortunate if becomes president of France.
Angela, , Mexico

Ingeborg, Dsseldorf, Germany: Thanks alot for completing the information I gave in my post. But let me be precise on one important thing: the problem is not because Sarkozy is Jew. The problem is that he is the candidate of the French Zionist Cell. This man says publicly that he is aligned on Israel and US policies in the Middle-East and towards the Arabs. This man is pushed to presidency of France by the propaganda of the French media and opinion poll institutions well controlled by Zionism in this country. If Sarkozy is elected President, I hope that Germany will not follow and also be controlled by Worldwide Zionism.
al_morro, Mexico, Mexico

This is very positive in France that the turnout is 85%, whereas during elections half of the Americans and many Europeans either go to McDonald’s or sleep at home. Now the tie breaker.. Mr Sarkozy is not a unifying leader and Royal is not a strong leader too. But it’s better to be a moderate person than an extreme one. The French economy is sick and needs a change… What the French people earn is not enough to run a country. The government debt is high and they should give up luxury life to some extent. Nowadays many economies in countries such as the US, Singapore, Malaysia and Emirates etc are successful because of talented foreign immigrants working there. There are no such things nowadays that we can do everything. France failed to use immigrants talent to develop its economy. The UK, which is using talents from Europe (half a million French now work in the UK) and Asia is ahead of many countries in Europe.
baz, Vancouver, Canada

William Amos on May 7, 2007 at 4:45 PM

I’m not so sure that this is the earth-shattering result many people think it is. The Socialists haven’t won an election in a loooong time. Chirac, who has communist roots, is nonetheless considered a center-right president. Sarkozy may turn out to be more pro-American but that is really by default.

France will still try to use the UN and G8 to offset US power. They, Germany and Russia will continue to oppose any meaningful reform in the UN. They won’t help one bit in Iraq. They’ll only grudgingly give help in the GWOT.

When Sarkozy leaves office in the future, the work-week in France will have declined, they’ll still have their immigration problems, their “culture” will have further eroded, they’ll still subsidize everything they make, and they’ll still hate the US for no apparent reason.

cmay on May 7, 2007 at 5:41 PM