“Ethnic Americans”, Oklahoma Style

posted at 6:58 pm on May 6, 2007 by see-dubya

I mentioned my buddy in Tulsa, Michael Bates, in this post about pro-Islam, and possibly pro-Wahhabi, TV programming. He found that there were some Wahhabi ties to the majority of a panel on OETA (Oklahoma’s PBS affiliate) production of “Islam in Oklahoma.”

In following up as to how that might have come about, MB noticed that one of the panelists was also on Governor Brad Henry’s “Governor’s Ethnic American Advisory Council“. And that council, which Governor Henry had created by executive order, has a surprisingly homogenous composition.

I won’t spoil the punchline. I’ll just tell you I laughed out loud even harder than I did at Joan Rivers telling off that guy for calling her racist.

And now, a personal note:

I grew up watching “Sesame Street” and “Wallace Wildlife” on OETA. It is a venerable state institution. If it was misused, and if there is shown to be a Wahhabi influence upon it, there will be a paroxysm of outrage across the Sooner State.*

But even if not, he’s still in for some withering scorn for that ludicrous euphemism. “Ethnic Americans“? Why not just call it CAIR-OK?

This would never have happened under Frank Keating.

* This was edited slightly a few minutes after I put it up; the original phrasing reacted to the hypothetical situation that Wahhabi propaganda was shown on OETA. That’s not something that anyone has asserted.

Comments

So, by being Jewish, I guess I’m not ethnic. Nor is my German/American Indian wife. Nor blacks, Hispanics, Greeks…you catch my drift here. Only our future overlords may have the Governor’s ear.

stonemeister on May 6, 2007 at 7:07 PM

Amazing how quickly multiculturalism becomes biculturalism.

RedWinged Blackbird on May 6, 2007 at 7:11 PM

Brad Henry: the first governor I know of aided to election by free advertising; courtesy of a catchy Subway advertising jingle – ‘Henry, Clay Henry’. Maybe that jingle is what McCain-Feingold was really about.

Spirit of 1776 on May 6, 2007 at 7:16 PM

These Islamist are clever little buggers, playing a governor like a complete fool…

Zorro on May 6, 2007 at 7:17 PM

As a brief (2 yr)former resident of Tulsa all I can say is
you Sooners might want to look into this document. The signatories seem…ethnic some how. I seriously doubt that any had ancestors who snuck across the Cimerron strip.

Limerick on May 6, 2007 at 7:18 PM

so… anyone…

Since when does Ethnic American mean Middle Eastern? I know that’s part of the question here… but does someone have an answer?

j_ehman on May 6, 2007 at 7:25 PM

I’m 1/8 Creek aboriginal. That Ethnic American for ya, punks?

fusionaddict on May 6, 2007 at 7:29 PM

fusionaddict:

No, as far as Gov. Henry is concerned, you’re an honorary white boy. Or girl.

see-dubya on May 6, 2007 at 7:35 PM

so… anyone…

j_ehman on May 6, 2007 at 7:25 PM

I take it that you did not read the linked article:

The purpose of the Council, which is to be made up of from five to 15 representatives of Ethnic Americans of the Middle East/Near East community of the state of Oklahoma,

IrishEyes on May 6, 2007 at 7:39 PM

I’m 1/8 Creek aboriginal. That Ethnic American for ya, punks?

I’m about 75% Irish. I guess we Irishmen haven’t slaughtered enough Americans to qualify as Ethnic Americans.

RedWinged Blackbird on May 6, 2007 at 7:41 PM

Are Native-Americans different from Ethnic-Americans? I don’t see any obvious Indian names on that list which in itself seems kind of strange for Oklahoma.

LakeRuins on May 6, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Hmmm wouldn’t “Ethnic Americans” be like Cherokee, Blackfoot, Lakota, etc.? Like Ethnic Chinese are like ya know . . Chinese.

- The Cat

MirCat on May 6, 2007 at 7:47 PM

- The Cat

MirCat on May 6, 2007 at 7:47 PM

‘swhat I’m sayin’!

fusionaddict on May 6, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Lake Ruins, given that Oklahoma is Choctaw for “Land of the Red Man”, it seems pretty dang funny.

I expect some grad-school race-theorist could have a ball with this. It seems awfully binary, doesn’t it? Either you’re “ethnic”–Middle Eastern, I guess–or you’re not, which would include White, Hispanic, Black, Indian, Asian…

I expect it’s just the Governor’s office trying to be PC and not put the I-word in a state document. But now he looks sneaky for trying to hide it, and clueless for trying to hide it so badly.

see-dubya on May 6, 2007 at 7:50 PM

stonemeister

Didnt you get the memo? We’re a criminal group not an ethnic group

Btw I’m turkish, does that count???

Defector01 on May 6, 2007 at 7:52 PM

I’ve been assuming the term refers to all Americans who belong to non-majority ethnic groups.

RedWinged Blackbird on May 6, 2007 at 7:54 PM

so… anyone…

j_ehman on May 6, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Well… “Ethnic American” means “Middle Eastern” when you don’t want the voters (a sizable number of whom are Evangelical Christian) to know that the advisory council your governor has created to help set school policy (amoung other things) is in fact Middle Eastern.
So in short: Ethnic means Muslim when you don’t want anyone to know that Muslims are involved.

billy on May 6, 2007 at 7:56 PM

And who, in the previous thread denied that islam was ascending?

lorien1973 on May 6, 2007 at 8:01 PM

Too bad someone never had the presents of mind to write down something like “All men are created equal.” This could have solved so much trouble.

- The Cat

MirCat on May 6, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Ethnic – of or relating to large groups of people classed according to common racial, national, tribal, religious, linguistic, or cultural origin or background.

That’s what we in the science community would call a ‘fuzzy’ word.

RedWinged Blackbird on May 6, 2007 at 8:08 PM

For those of you who think this is just an Okie thing, think again. This is a new Democrat tactic of “stealth campaigning.”
Henry just won re-election overwhelmingly in about as conservative state as there is.
But to have followed the media coverage at the time, you wouldn’t have known there was an election being held at all.
The result?
Since November he has vetoed tort reform
He has vetoed a bill banning publically funded abortions
He will (more than likely) veto a bill on illegal immigration.
He “campaigned” if you can call it that, on none of this.
The media has mis-represented all these stories and been complicit in down playing the governor’s role.
The new mayor of Tulsa(an insanely wealthy Democrat who financed her campaign with her husband’s money) ran on the slogan “Make Life Better.”
(Seriously!) She did not face a single aggressive reporter and beat an incumbent fairly easily.
Her first act as Mayor?
She attended a Mayor’s conference on gun control in Boston.
Gun control? in Tulsa Oklahoma?
It’s the Left’s new tactic:
The people don’t like our policies so let’s keep’em to ourselves.
Until the election is over.

billy on May 6, 2007 at 8:16 PM

YESSSSS!!!!! Shut em down baby!

sonnyspats1 on May 6, 2007 at 8:53 PM

I’m 1/8 Creek aboriginal. That Ethnic American for ya, punks?

fusionaddict on May 6, 2007 at 7:29 PM

Plenty! HI, I’m Sonny nice to meet you FA.

sonnyspats1 on May 6, 2007 at 9:01 PM

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

See-Dubya

Heh.

A classic…

Jaibones on May 6, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Frank Keating would have never put up with this, as Batesline points out. I’m originally from Oklahoma, and I’m ashamed of Brad Henry.

MsUnderestimated on May 6, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Sorry ’bout that…. “As See-Dubya points out,” Frank Keating would have never allowed this.

From one Okie to another, thanks See-Dubya for this article.

MsUnderestimated on May 6, 2007 at 9:23 PM

(Thanks, CW. TPB is one of the gold mines of classic quotes, and I love it. This is another Gold Star for you on a growing list of Gold Stars. You’ve had a very good week here.)

Back to Brad Henry — I’m outraged!

Jaibones on May 6, 2007 at 9:24 PM

billy on May 6, 2007 at 8:16 PM

That’s why I say the Liberals what to keep up Dump, Poor and Stupid. It’s the only way they can win.
KC

KCtheKat on May 6, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Sorry up should be us.

KCtheKat on May 6, 2007 at 9:28 PM

You know, the last time I heard the word “ethnic” it was followed by “foods”. But somehow I don’t envision this particular committee feasting on chitlins.

fusionaddict on May 6, 2007 at 10:01 PM

Don’t blame me, I voted for Istook.

Typewriter King on May 6, 2007 at 10:34 PM

Don’t blame me, I voted for Istook.

Typewriter King on May 6, 2007 at 10:34 PM

So you’re the other one.
Iknew at least someone besides me voted for Istook

billy on May 6, 2007 at 11:02 PM

Since “ethnic” refers to cultural socialization (it is unrelated to “bio-racial” identity, though the two concepts are often conflated by the intellectually lazy), an “ethnic American” would be somebody who has been socialized into American culture. So, most people in the United States are “ethnic Americans,” in that their general ethno-cultural identity is “American.”

And, if you were born in the United States, you’re a “native American.”

Careless use of words is no better than conscious political correctness.

Doghouse on May 7, 2007 at 12:13 AM

billy on May 6, 2007 at 8:16 PM

I agree. OK is a consistently conservative state; I watched the initial election of Henry with interest. I was serious at to my previous statement, and while amusing, it does raise some questions about heartland media and heartland electorate.

Spirit of 1776 on May 7, 2007 at 1:27 AM

Off Topic:

sonnyspats1 on May 6, 2007 at 9:01 PM

I just realized that I was readying your name as ‘Sony Pants 1′

On Topic:

Doghouse on May 7, 2007 at 12:13 AM

Yes and no:

eth·nic /ˈɛθnɪk/ Pronunciation Key – Show Spelled Pronunciation[eth-nik] Pronunciation Key – Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. pertaining to or characteristic of a people, esp. a group (ethnic group) sharing a common and distinctive culture, religion, language, or the like.
2. referring to the origin, classification, characteristics, etc., of such groups.
3. being a member of an ethnic group, esp. of a group that is a minority within a larger society: ethnic Chinese in San Francisco.
4. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of members of such a group.
5. belonging to or deriving from the cultural, racial, religious, or linguistic traditions of a people or country: ethnic dances.
6. Obsolete. pagan; heathen.
–noun 7. a member of an ethnic group.

– Dictionary.com

As far as ‘bio-racial’ I like substituting that with breed (as in of dogs and such) just to watch racebaiters faces.

- The Cat

MirCat on May 7, 2007 at 1:36 AM

I forgot to highlight

5. belonging to or deriving from the cultural, racial, religious, or linguistic

- The Cat

P.S. I demand more Russian Space Feline representation!!

MirCat on May 7, 2007 at 1:39 AM

>belonging to or deriving from the cultural, racial, religious, or linguistic

Yes, but when it’s used carefully, it is unrelated to so-called “racial” identity. It has unfortunately acquired that meaning (race, etc.) in much of common usage, and even with some scholars. Again, the problem is that the two concepts (ethno-cultural identity and bio-racial identity) become inappropriately conflated through either 1) a racialist view that certain insignificant biological differences between humans (so-called “race”) results inevitably in cultural differences, etc., or 2) simple laziness.

Of course, the main problem is that “race” is nothing more than a pseudo-scientific concept that is not helpful for any meaningful analytical purpose. Race is a political concept, not a scientific one.

Doghouse on May 7, 2007 at 2:13 AM

I read the make-up of the panel and YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME ! This has got to be the biggest bunch of crap I have ever read ! How in hell does the Governor of Oklahoms get caught up in something as blatant as this ??? It just goes to show that politicians just don’t have a freakin’ clue !

DoctorDentons on May 7, 2007 at 6:55 AM

I DVR’ed Islam in Oklahoma and plan to watch soon, several co-workers are asking that I burn it to DVD for them. I’m sure any real discussion will be squashed by the PC-police and will receive no coverage by the local news media. They are far more interested in HB1804 (Illegal immigration-Create the Taxpayer and Citizen Protection Act of 2007) and how “mean spirited” it is. I will be shocked it if the Gov. Henry doesn’t veto it.

See-Dubya, I too grew up on Wallace Wildlife back when it was on WKY. Never did watch Sesame Street, we were always out in the field either hunting or fishing.

bubbadog89 on May 7, 2007 at 10:11 AM

See, Ethnic cleansing ain’t that bad is it?
I am always reminded that it is the victors who write the history, followed by elections have consequences, and we are witnessing both.
/just having a quote/cliche type day

LakeRuins on May 7, 2007 at 10:46 AM