Video: Laura Ingraham talks Akon on Cavuto

posted at 8:27 pm on May 4, 2007 by Ian

Radio talk show host Laura Ingraham appeared on “Your World” with host Neil Cavuto to discuss the backlash against Akon. Earlier today, Akon was dropped by Verizon. Laura slammed Akon for mainstreaming “utter vile filth.” Ingraham also bashed Verizon for hiring Akon, a convict who served time for armed robbery, in the first place. Laura thanked Michelle, other bloggers, and her listeners for getting Verizon to drop the convicted rapper.

Comments

mainstreaming “utter vile filth.

I haven’t listened to any Akon to compare to the hip-hop my brother and sister used to listen to, but, that stuff seemed pretty filthy as it was.

Is Akon actually guilty of ‘mainstreaming’ the filth or just guilty of capitalizing off of it?

I thought the main complaint about Akon (as opposed to the other rappers) was what happened on the stage in Trinidad with him and the 15 year-old girl.

JadeNYU on May 4, 2007 at 8:45 PM

you know, I’m happy Verizon dropped this piece of filth. I saw the video last week and it is disgusting. However, I don’t know that this girl is an innocent victim. I saw the post on Hollywood Grind, and I think she just got over her head, and when she got caught, she pleaded “I didn’t know”.

ritemama on May 4, 2007 at 8:45 PM

Akon for mainstreaming “utter vile filth.”

Well, that’s a bit inaccurate, no? I think that Akon is an easy target (and an appropriate one at that) more than he is a precedent setting example.

SouthernDem on May 4, 2007 at 9:01 PM

ritemama on May 4, 2007 at 8:45 PM

The facts as we know them do not point to a innocent girl who was forced to do anything she did not want to do. The pictures you mention puts this whole thing in context. A underage girl got into a club, somehow. This is not Akon’s fault. He had every reason to expect she was 18 years old. Her and her father’s protestations ring hollow when you take a good look at her back. Did her father miss the huge tattoo?

As for Laura’s characterization of “simulated rape,” how can you call this rape? Was she being held down? Was she screaming for help trying to run away? After Duke using the word rape to describe what looks to be consensual is despicable.

Fine if you don’t like Akon, his past, or his music but please stop raising this incident to the level of a crime. It is clearly not.

Bill C on May 4, 2007 at 9:03 PM

Kind of OT, but the babes on the Right are soooo much hotter than any of the Lefties IMHO.

bbz123 on May 4, 2007 at 9:03 PM

Credit to Debbie Schlussel I noticed.

CrimsonFisted on May 4, 2007 at 9:06 PM

I think this girl was in over her head. She didn’t know how to stop it. He threw her around and around. It wasn’t just a couple of pumps and that was it. He did the same to Tara Reid, an adult, who also didn’t know how to stop it. Sometimes women just go along until it is over, or laugh, when they do not know WHAT to do.

I would have shouted SECURITY!!!! but security was all HIS.

CrimsonFisted on May 4, 2007 at 9:16 PM

Credit to Debbie Schlussel I noticed.

CrimsonFisted on May 4, 2007 at 9:06 PM

Yes, that was very nice of her. I only wanted credit for my column that she read on her radio show yesterday, and she did that on the radio show, today. As for stopping Verizon from selling the Akon ringtones, that is all Laura’s listeners and Michelle’s and Hot Air’s readers. And they deserve the sole credit for that, as well as huge kudos. It just goes to show how quickly they and you can change things even when it seems all is down the drain and beyond reclaiming the social debate.

Debbie Schlussel on May 4, 2007 at 9:17 PM

Nice work FOXnews. Good job conservatives!

Mojave Mark on May 4, 2007 at 9:17 PM

CrimsonFisted on May 4, 2007 at 9:16 PM

Perhaps she was in over her head. We can only guess at her state of mind but I think it is incumbent on women to speak up and say they do not like what is happening rather than making men guess. I am sure that many women have regrets about the previous evening but changing their minds doesn’t make it rape.

Bill C on May 4, 2007 at 9:24 PM

Bill C on May 4, 2007 at 9:24 PM

We don’t. It just doesn’t happen. At that age, I was attacked by a neighbor more than once and NEVER spoke up, and STILL have never told my parents, 40 years later. You are taught NOT to speak up or be rude and I have seen my friends just accept this behavior at parties or what not, whether we should or shouldn’t do that, because we know it will be over shortly. She was bruised I am sure, he threw her around very roughly, it was like a car wreck. How do you stop it? How? Who? She didn’t have a bodyguard, and security never stepped in, what should she do? At 14? With the crowd, the lights, and whatall? That was very scary. The onus is on HIM to NOT to have behaved like a barbarian.

CrimsonFisted on May 4, 2007 at 9:37 PM

Bill C on May 4, 2007 at 9:24 PM

Ya, she was asking for it!

She’s 15, she should know better!

She should have had the presence of mind to just say no – well gosh, think of how many rapes could have been prevented! If only those women only speak up!!!! Genius.(in the Wile E. Coyote sense)

Wait…. women speak up….. women… huh, 15 is a woman now?

She’s 15, it makes it rape. End of story.

reaganaut on May 4, 2007 at 9:42 PM

She’s 15, it makes it rape. End of story.

I should clarify should read if she’s 15 it makes it rape. Not that this was rape, I’m just referencing your assinine argument that if women would only speak up, they can prevent a rape….

reaganaut on May 4, 2007 at 9:45 PM

I think I have a thing for Laura. :-P

infidel4life on May 4, 2007 at 9:53 PM

I love Laura, she’s a conservababe.

pencilnub on May 4, 2007 at 9:59 PM

CrimsonFisted on May 4, 2007 at 9:37 PM

I am sorry you are 55 and can’t speak your mind. To be frank, it sounds like you went through a horrific experience and you are letting your bias affect your judgement. Did you look at the photos of the girl? Do you really think that what she experienced was “like a car wreck?” I don’t see barbarity. I see him lifting her and swinging her around like you might see in swing dancing. He did simulate intercourse but it doesn’t look like he is physically hurting her.

reaganaut on May 4, 2007 at 9:42 PM

As far as Akon knew she was 18. If you could explain to me how he should have known she wasn’t then I am all ears. Even at 15, she would have to have been an incredible actress to have smiled and looked like she was enjoying herself during her, as you describe, rape.

Bill C on May 4, 2007 at 10:02 PM

Is that Farrah Fawcett? Hehe.

Theworldisnotenough on May 4, 2007 at 10:07 PM

reaganaut on May 4, 2007 at 9:45 PM

That isn’t my argument. I said that women should speak up when something is happening that they don’t like. They should not have the option of changing their mind after a sexual encounter. And we should not buy into the story that this girl was not a willing participant because she has regrets.

Bill C on May 4, 2007 at 10:11 PM

Acorn (not a typo) and the girl both need to be kicked in the head. The girl for being stupid enough to go to a show put on by a slimeball, and Acorn for being a slimeball.

Doghouse on May 4, 2007 at 10:44 PM

Where are the Reverends on this issue? Al?…..Jesse?…..[crickets]………….

Mallard T. Drake on May 4, 2007 at 10:57 PM

Laura Ingraham Rocks!

Lawrence on May 4, 2007 at 10:59 PM

Bill C on May 4, 2007 at 10:02 PM
Condescending and smug response. Oh well.

What do his three wives think of this behavior?

CrimsonFisted on May 5, 2007 at 12:04 AM

conservababe

My new favorite word.

infidel4life on May 5, 2007 at 12:12 AM

It’s a start modest as it may be but it’s something! Great results ladies thanks Michelle and Laura.

sonnyspats1 on May 5, 2007 at 12:29 AM

Where are the Reverends on this issue? Al?…..Jesse?…..[crickets]………….

Mallard T. Drake on May 4, 2007 at 10:57 PM

Really!

sonnyspats1 on May 5, 2007 at 12:30 AM

Rap “music” itself was a conscious regression on the part of young black males. Artistically, many in the first generation that grew up post-civil rights movement – with total freedom and no fear of racism holding them back – decided not to compete in the arena of ideas and instead reverted to the mindless sounds and behavior of the jungle (= rap) as a means of avoidance. It helped confirm all the worst prejudices about blacks among those so inclined, and that the so-called “music” was so highly praised as “innovative” and “authentic” bla bla by the white intelligencia only cemented the unfortunate image of black=primitive (among those so inclined).

No music in history that I know of is so devoid of any artistic worth whatsoever. If the lyrics were interesting, I might cut it half an inch of slack, but they are the worst part – not just vile, but infantile. If racists were to come up with plan to set back black progress, nothing could be better than rap. The real black artists (no matter what they tell you, rap doesn’t take any talent whatsoever) don’t go near this stuff, and are disgusted by the way clowns like Akon and Snoop have taken all the gifts of freedom and opportunity and sent them back to a Dionysian prehistory.

Why should anyone be shocked now? Just check out the first Snoop Doggy Dogg album. America has embraced this vile slime for so many years now, it’s almost quaint.

Halley on May 5, 2007 at 12:32 AM

>If racists were to come up with plan to set back black progress, nothing could be better than rap.

That is worth putting on a t-shirt.

Doghouse on May 5, 2007 at 12:35 AM

And, in fact, the entire “hip hop” (AKA prison life) culture.

bofh on May 5, 2007 at 12:50 AM

Kudos to Debbie, Laura and Michelle! Nicely done ladies.

And I’ve got two words for Akon too.

Sewer. Rat.

Teddy on May 5, 2007 at 2:06 AM

Halley on May 5, 2007 at 12:32 AM

Dead-on, but I think that this is a symptom of something larger. I’d call it one of the fruits of the Great Fatherless and Parentally-Apathetic Society–a trend that may morph itself in accordance with the American subculture in which it finds itself, but isn’t exclusive to that subculture.

This sort of thing, school shootings, girls-gone-wild etc. all fall under that heading.

baldilocks on May 5, 2007 at 2:55 AM

I hate to be the wet blanket, but am I the only one who feels like nothing major was accomplished? Verizon cut ties with Akon, which is great as far as it goes. But if I were a betting man I would guess that he’s still going to get all of the money owed to him under the deal, only because I can’t imagine there is an ethics clause in any contract a rapper signs. Not only that, but I’m sure his fans see it as a positive that “The Man” is trying to “silence” him.

Maybe I’m just worn out, but I can’t get too excited about this. Wake me up when the African-American community stops using racism to explain away all of the ills in their culture and gets serious about creating an environment where pimp-slapping and drug dealing aren’t the pinnacles of success.

Shivv on May 5, 2007 at 3:18 AM

Laura Ingraham is great! I would love it if she, Malkin, kirsten powers would get some type of show on fox. I’d watch it faithfully.

Any step towards these thugs like this guy is a good thing. I hope the pressure keeps up.

Highrise on May 5, 2007 at 4:46 AM

I keep telling you: Charlie’s Angels: The Reboot. Someone on here brilliantly suggested Charles Krauthammer for Charlie, although Fred. F. Thompson’s voice would sound great on that speakerphone. His duties as president will prevent him from playing Bosley though.

saint kansas on May 5, 2007 at 5:04 AM

lol saint kansas

Highrise on May 5, 2007 at 5:14 AM

Note to Bill C–

I don’t give a #$%& if she was 15 or 115 or any age in between, this is NOT proper treatment for any woman.

Period.

Remove all of the sexual innuendo from the performance (if you can) and just look at the physical violence portrayed.

Attempts to defend acts like that one will only serve to show your own depravity.

“Public decency” — a very good and civilized custom.

The Machine on May 5, 2007 at 5:41 AM

I love Ingraham and Malkin, and obviously HotAir, and as I keep saying I think Akon is a total scumbag given his extreme rap sheet, and that he’s just the flavor of the month in degenerate hip hop artists slowly chipping away at the country (and world really).

But I still have to say, this dry rape thing shouldn’t be the catalyst to the outrage… at least not so far as acting like this girl was some sort of innocent victim who couldn’t escape.

Look at all the pictures here, but especially this first one… Akon lays flat out on his back while this girl, dressed like a stripper (I know little girls are skanks these days, but literally this girl was wearing stripper clothes), and she’s on top of him simulating sex and holding on to his belt buckle and looks like she’s in a friggin’ rodeo.

Folks, keep in mind we don’t see what immediately preceded and followed what happens in the video. This photo (among the others you can view from that page) tell an entirely different story. I feel bad for the girl in that her parents are obviously pretty shameful if their daughter dresses and acts like that. This girl knew what she was doing, just look at those photos.

RightWinged on May 5, 2007 at 6:06 AM

The Machine

Totally agree.

Highrise on May 5, 2007 at 6:14 AM

RightWinged on May 5, 2007 at 6:06 AM

As a follow-up to my own post… Here’s the little wannabe hooch’s Myspace….

Actually, first here’s a page full of all of her quotes about how this was just one mistake and how she’s abandoning that life now, blah blah blah:

Now here’s MySpace (note there is a hoax page out there, but this one is real)

She’s been on as recently as yesterday and has tons of pictures of her in her slutty clothes. She has a big Playboy Bunny logo that also says “I’m naughty, you can count on that”. Other avatars such as a woman in a bra and it says “try not to stare”, and another that says “I shake it like Jello make the boys say hello”. Another flashes “SEXY THANG”, and yet another shows handcuffs and says:
“T.R.I.X.I.E – Temptress Readily Imparting Xperiences and Intense Embraces”

RightWinged on May 5, 2007 at 6:36 AM

Thanks RightWinged for the MySpace link: at least I got my sexy name from the sexy name generator link: K.A.N.S.A.S.: Kinky Adonis Needing Sensual Affection and Stimulation. It’s like that thing knows me!

I threw in Mohammed too just for fun: M.O.H.A.M.M.E.D.: Marvelous One Hungering for Arousing Massage and Matchless, Erotic Delights. Make a great cartoon.

I’m very sincerely in a quandry about this one. If I strip away 40 years of programming I come to the simple conclusion: this is just wrong. In every way. The frightening train of thought is how we got here, and how all of this was (and still is being) sold to us. Under names like feminism and diversity and multiculturalism.

saint kansas on May 5, 2007 at 8:52 AM

I love Laura and have been a huge fan for years. Some of the funniest time on the Imus show was when Laura was a guest. She has a fabulous sense of humor and a great delivery.

Wade on May 5, 2007 at 9:07 AM

bbz123 on May 4, 2007 at 9:03 PM

Amen bother

lsutiger on May 5, 2007 at 9:10 AM

I think it’s a bit stupid to go after Akon for his type of music and his past as a convict. The thing that should be the focus is what he did to that girl, which is probably not the first time. His type of music has been around for years and years, nothing new there, and you’re starting to go after free speech when you’re going after his lyrics.

Keep your eyes on the prize folks, and that is that Akon is, like R. Kelly and others, abusive to women.

The sales of Akon’s music speaks for itself – people like it. However, I doubt people would like his actions towards women, and that’s got to be the focus here.

Seixon on May 5, 2007 at 10:43 AM

So disturbing.

But, sadly looking at the hollywoodgrind pictures that girl started out degrading herself. My gosh, I’m wondering if hookers dress that badly. I know these kids are sexualized, but why not put a sign on yourself? Nice touch with the cross necklace to top it off. Vomitrocious!

But willing or not Akon is absolutely disgusting, women are objects to use and abuse whenever a man wants to, that’s the message. When a woman starts flopping around like a rag doll and obviously couldn’t stop it, it’s assault.

I showed Michelle’s vent to my 12 year old son, to show him what this rapper (he wanted his music at one point) really was. My son was shocked and disgusted, and maybe understands why I won’t let him have that music.

jjjen on May 5, 2007 at 10:48 AM

I feel his criminal record is relevant, considering he is a supposed role model for young people, however, I think a large part of the entire hip hop and rap music industry probably have rap sheets. Ever since rap came out, I have disliked it and it has only gotten worse. Akon is a thug and a cretin, but he is not alone. I went to this girl’s My Space page, where she lists herself as 19, says she is a bitch, will kick your ass, and a lot of other stuff. Unfortunately, I don’t think she is an anomaly among girls her age who dress like little whores and act like tough guys. I saw the pictures Bill C posted and while I think the entire stage presentation was reprehensible and disgusting, after reading and viewing all things, I don’t think she was an innocent victim.

Glynn on May 5, 2007 at 10:49 AM

Jade, you are right.

Tim Burton on May 5, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Addendum to above, what I am saying does not mean that women are not victims in these kind of incidents. I just think she was not as innocent as she portrayed, or else terribly naive. It may very well be the latter.

Glynn on May 5, 2007 at 1:18 PM

JadeNYU on May 4, 2007 at 8:45 PM

Makes little difference the incentive to perform this filth, the end result is that each in their own perpetuate it by their participation.

Wade on May 5, 2007 at 1:57 PM

Her age is irrelevant.
Her sex is irrelevant.

He should not behave that way in a public venue.

Hiraghm on May 5, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Seixon on May 5, 2007 at 10:43 AM

You couldn’t be more wrong, read my post here:

RightWinged on May 5, 2007 at 6:36 AM

He didn’t “do” anything to the girl that she didn’t do to him.. It’s just that they don’t show you that in the video because there needs to be a little girl victim.

I agree that Akon is scum and should lose corporate sponsors, etc. (as should virtually all hip hop artists), and while his behavior here may be “shocking” and another reason to not like him, let’s stop kidding ourselves about this girl being some helpless victim. Look over all those photos, especially the first one that I link to, look at her myspace, etc.

There’s plenty of reason to hate this guy, but dry humping a groupy that looks and acts like a stripper ain’t one of ‘em.

RightWinged on May 5, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Regardless whether this girl is a ho or not, Akon, a supposed professional recording artist, should not have acted like that. That’s what sets Akon apart from say… Diddy or… OK, I’m having a hard time coming up with responsible hip-hop artists at a moment’s notice, but in the least most of them keep this sort of stuff behind the scenes.

I’m sure 50 Cent has done a whole lot of crazy stuff behind the scenes and at the after-parties when he has concerts, but that’s different than dry-humping a 15-year old girl in public, on stage.

Seixon on May 5, 2007 at 8:36 PM

The Machine on May 5, 2007 at 5:41 AM

Please take a look at the photos and then look at the video again. This is not violent unless you think swing dancing is violent.

And for the last time, this concert took place at a club in which you had to be 18 to enter. He had no way to know how old she was.

Rightwinged, thanks for posting the myspace page.

For the record I really liked the old school rap that was about having fun. LL Cool J, Young MC, Tone Loc, etc. The gangster rap is mostly crap.

Bill C on May 5, 2007 at 10:14 PM

Hawt.

Jaibones on May 5, 2007 at 10:46 PM

Bill C on May 5, 2007 at 10:14 PM

No problem Bill, I’m just glad I’m not the only one who sees it this way.

I can’t say it enough, Akon is scum… but I don’t think this incident is any sort of nail in the coffin and this girls isn’t what she’s being made out to be by our conservative friends.

RightWinged on May 5, 2007 at 10:51 PM

The fact that this girl — get it, Bill C, girl? — was dressed like a slut, and in a club she should not have been in, and went along with this to some unknown degree, is not exculpatory for this Acorn maggot in any way.

An 18 year old guy can have consentual sex with a 15 year old girl, but it’s still statutory rape. Same concept.

Jaibones on May 5, 2007 at 10:55 PM

CrimsonFisted on May 5, 2007 at 12:04 AM

Yes it was. But I am a man and men think differently than women. We are more directed and respect directness.

Just today my wife and i were watching the boobtube and a commercial came on in which a mother tells her son that she doesn’t know how to tell her father that she wants him to get something for her. The boy thinks for a moment and yells out, “Hey Dad, Mom wants…” I ROFLMAO. My wife didn’t get it.

Bill C on May 5, 2007 at 11:05 PM

RightWinged on May 5, 2007 at 10:51 PM

My biggest fear is that another video comes out showing this girl smiling and having a good old time and then everybody has to defend Akon because he was put through the same disasterous process as the Duke players. Assumption of guilt based on flimsy evidence.

Jaibones on May 5, 2007 at 10:55 PM

A mitigating factor in our legal system is prior knowledge. Did he know or was it reasonable to expect him to know that she was 15? I say it wasn’t. If you can produce evidence to that effect, I am all ears.

At this point all we know is that he dirty danced with a girl who he thought was at least 18. That does not bother me in the least. G_d, when is AP coming back?

Bill C on May 5, 2007 at 11:15 PM

Jaibones, this girl went in there dressed like a stripper (not just like a teenage skank, like a stripper), rode him like she would have screwed him right on stage, and in fact probably went to the show with the intention of getting tossed around backstage. This isn’t some sort of date rape situation where the girl thought he was going to be her boyfriend. This isn’t some sort of legal issue where the guy knew he was banging (which he never did anyway) a 15 year old (who would, again look at the outfit, body, and age limit of the club). And the fact is, the pictures tell a different story. They say “she started it”. And her myspace page tells of a promiscuous girl who’s probably done a lot worse in her private life. She just knows she was in deep when her dad found out and she’s trying to play victim now. Had this video not come out she’s be bragging about this incident for the rest of her life.

RightWinged on May 5, 2007 at 11:32 PM

That wasn’t the video I saw Rightwinged. Wrong is just wrong, and Akon was just wrong.

There is no excuse ever for a man to behave like this. I don’t care what you think the girl was doing or her motives.

At some point men like you have to take responsibility for the lack of character of other men, and not ALWAYS blame the woman.

You aren’t all innocent Duke LaCrosse players.
If conservative men don’t do this .. who will?

Noelie on May 5, 2007 at 11:42 PM

You aren’t all innocent Duke LaCrosse players.
If conservative men don’t do this .. who will?

Noelie on May 5, 2007 at 11:42 PM

What wasn’t the video you saw? Oh, you mean you’re just going to take the one clip you’ve seen and not be curious about what happened before and after, despite the fact I’ve REPEATEDLY LINKED YOU ALL TO THE PHOTOS!!! It’s not blaming the girl, but Akon did nothing that the girl herself didn’t also do.

How many times do I have to tell you, Akon is scum, but this event isn’t what makes him scum.

RightWinged on May 5, 2007 at 11:46 PM

Dude. This line of “dirty dancing” bs is one step from excusing rape because “she was asking for it”.

Jaibones on May 6, 2007 at 1:19 AM

Jaibones on May 6, 2007 at 1:19 AM

Who said “dirty dancing”?

RightWinged on May 6, 2007 at 1:32 AM

RightWinged,

Akon is supposed to be a professional recording artist, yes? Thus acting the way he did is unbecoming of a professional recording artist, regardless of who or what or why this girl was all about. She’s obviously not some little angel that didn’t want this to happen – she probably just feels ashamed afterwards because she’s the daughter of a preacher or whatever.

Yet still, Akon should not act that way in the public sphere. He can do whatever the hell he wants in his bedroom, but this is just unbecoming of a professional to do at a public concert. Period.

Seixon on May 6, 2007 at 8:01 AM

RightWinged,

Seixon on May 6, 2007 at 8:01 AM

I’ve never said for one second that his behavior was right… my point has been that this jihad against him that started over this poor innocent girl is stupid. There are plenty of reasons to bash this guy without making this girl out to be his victim.

As for what he does on stage, it’s not up to me to decide what’s okay and what’s not. It’s not okay for me, but I’d never go to his concert. Obviously it’s okay with his label. What about the crap Manson or Ozzy do on stage? What about all the thug life glamorizing done at most hip hop shows and on their cds? How about Trace Adkins? He got in to the act with Honky Tonk Badonkadonk.

RightWinged on May 6, 2007 at 8:11 AM

Jaibones on May 6, 2007 at 1:19 AM

Since I am the one who used the phrase dirty dancing I will answer this. There was no rape! There was simulated sex and I believe that the girl who participated in it was not hurt and was happy about being on stage and performing. The pictures clearly show she was smiling and actively humping Akon. She was extending her rear for him to spank.

Please stop using rape, molestation, and assault to describe what happened. It clearly was not the case.

You aren’t all innocent Duke LaCrosse players.
If conservative men don’t do this .. who will?

Noelie on May 5, 2007 at 11:42 PM

This really bothers me. I have two friends who were falsely accused of rape and they had to suffer the self-righteous indignation of conservatives who said that it served them right for bring a woman they were not married to into their beds and having sex with them. Sorry, I think women bear responsibility for their actions. They do not get a right to change their minds when they become unhappy with a man and accuse him of a crime. I am sick of conservative women who side with radical feminists over the idea that all men are potential rapists and who always take the woman’s word as to the circumstances of a sexual encounter.

But I am really tired of seeing women get slaps on the wrist for molesting their students and murdering their husbands at the same time men are getting out of prison after decades for a rape the DNA evidence says they did not commit. Noelie, you need to help your sisters clean up their acts before you attempt to appeal to my sense of chivalry.

Bill C on May 6, 2007 at 1:15 PM

To Michael who decided to post a comment on my blog and insult me rather than engage in an argument: You will never reach the young people you want to protect by insulting their intelligence. A hyperbolic claim that, “Our culture has led these young boys and girls into a world of utter debauchery, sex all the time, anywhere, with anyone. Damn the consequences and do it in front of anyone,” will cause teenagers to close their minds to what you are saying. Young people appreciate honesty and will respond to facts by acting in their self-interest.

I am truly sorry your family went through this: “I grew up with a Mother horrified she would be killed any day. She had to runaway across state lines. We had no idea if we would be killed.” But I strongly believe your experience has poisoned your mind to men. You seem to think the worst of men. Please seek out help because I can’t help but think your experience has lead to a great deal of self loathing.

Bill C on May 6, 2007 at 2:45 PM