Video: Lou Dobbs snaps at media for coverage of illegal immigration

posted at 3:19 pm on May 2, 2007 by Ian

Lou Dobbs ripped the media’s favorable coverage of illegal immigrants on yesterday’s “American Morning.” First, he went after CNN for the goofy segment name “Immigration Nation.” Host Kiran Chetry, who was on the spot, said it’s there “because it rhymes.”

Dobbs says the media is “selling their agenda” and not “applying critical judgment” when it comes to illegal immigration.

Video and transcript via Newsbusters:

DOBBS: You know, it’s fascinating to me to look down at that lower third. You see that, Kiran? It says ‘Immigration Nation.’ What in the devil does that mean?

CHETRY: Well, we put it there because it rhymes, I think. It rhymes.

DOBBS: OK. I mean, but everyone should ask themselves, what is the mainstream media in this country doing? They’re selling an agenda. And they’re not applying critical judgment. And critical judgment and skepticism is our job as journalists. We’re talking about comprehensive immigration legislation as reform. We’re using the word ‘reform’ as if it were true. There’s no skepticism.

Watch the rest of the segment at Newsbusters.

Comments

Way to go Lou!

P.S. Calling an illegal alien an “undocumented immigrant” is like calling a drug dealer an “unlicensed pharmacist”.

db on May 2, 2007 at 3:25 PM

too bad he’s an idiot with economics and business.

jp on May 2, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Faux conservatives weighing in at Hot Air about the evil Lou Dobbs in 3,2,1…

jaleach on May 2, 2007 at 3:26 PM

I’m gonna have to start watching Lou’s show.

csdeven on May 2, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Didn’t that woman who is hiding in a church (I think Michelle interviewed the pastor in the Factor the other day) have her baby specifically in order to an ‘anchor baby’?

I see no problem with dividing families. The parents who get deported can always take their children with them can’t they?

Personally I think that babies born here should only receive citizenship if *both* parents are either citizens or permanent residents – or in the process of becoming a PR.

CrazyFool on May 2, 2007 at 3:37 PM

I miss looking at Kiran.

Dash on May 2, 2007 at 3:39 PM

Huh, I agree with the incredibly angry man.

Kini on May 2, 2007 at 3:39 PM

jp on May 2, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Lou Dobbs used to be considered a liberal, now he’s “center-right”.

Kid from Brooklyn on May 2, 2007 at 3:39 PM

One thing I always agree with Lou on, is immigration.

amerpundit on May 2, 2007 at 3:42 PM

CrazyFool on May 2, 2007 at 3:37 PM

Better yet, deport the anchor babies so that they can grow up alongside their parents. Elian Gonzalez cuts both ways.

Kid from Brooklyn on May 2, 2007 at 3:43 PM

I don’t think that makes Lou a conservative any more than Joementum is a conservative. What it shows is that Lou is a fan of critical thought and attempts to apply it when he can. I may not agree with Dobbs, but he does come to his conclusions rationally.

The left/right divide isn’t so easy to define. Some day, I’ll have to introduce you folks to CBC commentator Rex Murphy.

Krydor on May 2, 2007 at 3:43 PM

Should have said, “I may not ALWAYS agree with Dobbs…” Really need an edit function.

Krydor on May 2, 2007 at 3:47 PM

CrazyFool on May 2, 2007 at 3:37 PM

I don’t think anyone on a short-term visa (whether it’s a limited work visa, a student visa, or a travel visa) should have citizenship granted to their children at birth. It certainly shouldn’t be granted to a baby born to someone that is in the United States illegally.

I’m not sure about the two citizen parents for citizenship requirement though. I’m leaning towards, “As long as one parent is a citizen, the child is a citizen” with protection in there for ensuring that a “get knocked up for a citizen baby” scheme doesn’t spring up.

JadeNYU on May 2, 2007 at 3:48 PM

I think it’s poignant that someone who’s been around as long as Lou still believes that what we were taught about Journalism should apply to the MSM–all that stuff about the 5 W’s, the impartiality, the differences between reporting, editorializing, and entertainment—when in reality, the MSM is just a massive propaganda pipeline, with no scruples about trying to live up to anything like the vaunted standards of jounalism. And why should they, when most people don’t even realize they aren’t journalists, they just play them on TV?

NellE on May 2, 2007 at 3:53 PM

One thing I like about Dobbs, is that even if I disagree with him on an issue, he doesn’t quote Moveon.org, or a similar partisan source, for his facts. He uses facts, he just arrives at a different conclusion than I do. With the exception of immigration, of course.

amerpundit on May 2, 2007 at 3:59 PM

Other than immigration AFAIK, Dobbs is a liberal crackpot. That said, I miss looking at Kiran too.

Bad Candy on May 2, 2007 at 4:07 PM

CHETRY: Well, we put it there because it rhymes, I think. It rhymes.

Why not “Deportation Nation” then?

Matticus Finch on May 2, 2007 at 4:25 PM

Awesome comment. Moreover, who’s going to make them do their jobs? Are you? How? They aren’t accountable to anyone, least of all to the losers out in television land.

I reading something years ago about how the airwaves belong to the public. Yeah, right.

jaleach on May 2, 2007 at 4:31 PM

Oops. That should say “read” instead of “reading”.

jaleach on May 2, 2007 at 4:32 PM

Why not “Deportation Nation” then?

Matticus Finch on May 2, 2007 at 4:25 PM

Why not? Mexico is “Exportation Nation”.

amerpundit on May 2, 2007 at 4:38 PM

Right, ameripundit. I mean, if “rhyming” is the sole criterion without regard to journalistic integrity or objectivity, then any old headline will do.

I’m sorry, but Kiran (whom I like) really sounded like an airhead saying that.

Matticus Finch on May 2, 2007 at 4:55 PM

Lou Dobbs used to be considered a liberal, now he’s “center-right”.

Kid from Brooklyn on May 2, 2007 at 3:39 PM

LOL actually right now he’s center, next year he’ll be center right.

The 14th amendment needs to be in front of SCOTUS…NOW.
The kids left behind should be going with the parents because they are not citizens.

Speakup on May 2, 2007 at 5:06 PM

How about “America, Illegal immigration destination.”

deadbackpacker on May 2, 2007 at 5:12 PM

JadeNYU on May 2, 2007 at 3:48 PM

I might agree with you but you just know the illegal-alien advocates (they are not immigrants!) will cry out ‘You are severing the baby from his/her mother/father! You monster!’.

And when I say ‘in the process of becoming a PR’ I mean, for example, the gray area between the time my wife’s K1 visa expired and the time her PR residency (Adjustment of Status) had been approved. She was here legally but did not have any real ‘proof’ of such.

FYI – There are two basic types of visa’s – an non-immigrant visa (used for students, visitors, workers, etc… who are to return home) and immigrant visa (for immigrants).

CrazyFool on May 2, 2007 at 5:15 PM

Say whatever you want about Lou Dobbs, but his coverage on the topic of illegal immigration has been exemplary. If he’s an idiot about economics I don’t care so long as he is willing to cover this issue with intellectual honesty he is good in my book. There is nothing more important then this issue and the establishment media in general has done a horrible job reporting the facts. Thank you Mr Dobbs for not walking the line with the “conventional wisdom” which as we know is always a half truth. Conventional wisdom is always conventional but never wise.

Zetterson on May 2, 2007 at 5:15 PM

Isn’t the United States one of only a handful of countries who allow any child born in the country to become a citizen?

deadbackpacker on May 2, 2007 at 5:17 PM

Dobbs nailed it.

voiceofreason on May 2, 2007 at 5:22 PM

The local coverage of yesterday’s illegal immigration marches was very sympathetic to the illegals and kept emphasizing the marchers’ demands for “equal treatment.” I got so annoyed because the reporter and anchor seemed completely oblivious to the fact that “equal treatment” would mean that illegal immigrants should be punished for breaking the law–just like legal citizens are! Or that they would be required to go through the steps to get legal citizenship–just like legal immigrants do! They don’t want equal treatment; they want special treatment. And the media happily helps them advance that agenda.

Dobbs is right. The media is allowing itself to be a tool for people who wantonly break our nation’s laws and harm our society. They are not applying critical judgment or being objective at all.

aero on May 2, 2007 at 5:38 PM

They sure can. For all the talk about Hispanic family values (we’ll just ignore the nearly 50% illegitimacy rate of Hispanics for now), you have to wonder what kind of parent would leave their children behind in a foreign country and you have to wonder what kind of parent would be stupid enough to have a kid while dwelling illegally in another country.

Finally, if that’s their attitude toward childrearing, you have to wonder if we really want more of these people in our country to begin with.

tommy1 on May 2, 2007 at 5:41 PM

Dobbs is a bit on the liberal side, but he is probably the sanest voice in the mass media when it comes to illegal immigration.

tommy1 on May 2, 2007 at 5:42 PM

I agree with LOU on illegals AND the economy…..what part of selling out the country don’t you folks understand???

Mellen on May 2, 2007 at 5:45 PM

See this story over at Newsbusters about families that are divided when the illegal parents are deported and leave their “anchor” children behind. The story is meant to pull at our heartstrings by pointing out how cruel it is to separate families this way–how hard it is on the kids in particular. But late in the story, it is revealed that the parents could have taken their kids back to Mexico with them but chose not to because they didn’t want their three kids to have to share one room in their grandmother’s house in Mexico. They left their children parentless in the United States because they believe they have a better life as orphans here than as a united family in Mexico. How’s that for family values? Feh.

aero on May 2, 2007 at 5:55 PM

Check out these demands. Some words are misused, due to translations or ignorance, but generally these demands are revolting. Even mixing anti-Iraq and anti-military-recruitmement with the immigration/amnesty agenda…

The bottom section is the most telling – students’ workshop…

Entelechy on May 2, 2007 at 5:59 PM

I was told by a friend of mine that the local school district is giving this Friday off to students and faculty. Why? Cinco de Mayo…………………………. ya….. Of course, the students didn’t get Good Friday, Columbus, or Presidents Day off. Just… wow.

j_ehman on May 2, 2007 at 6:11 PM

tommy1

The same kind of parent that leaves their beloved family behind for months, years at time south of the border. This entire “dividing families” nonsense is BS.

heroyalwhyness on May 2, 2007 at 6:19 PM

I can’t find a link about it, but heard Cynthia McKinney speak at the LA rally, yesterday, on a radio segment, on KFI640.

She lampooned the war in Iraq, we need to impeach the president and the browns/blacks need to stick together, against, you guessed it, the whites…and this (amnesty/immigration) is the second “slavery”.

Entelechy on May 2, 2007 at 6:26 PM

I think the “divided families” meme is the direction the pro-illegal immigration folks are headed, at least in terms of the rallying cry they think will get disinterested voters to buy into their side of the argument. The pastor Michelle interviewed on the Factor went that direction, and I’m seeing it more and more as the focal point of MSM coverage. It’s an attempt to paint anti-illegal immigration people as heartless and cruel by pointing out how the children–always the children–are being hurt by our “terrible policies” (you know, our laws). They blithely ignore that it’s the parents who knowingly make the choices that they know might tear their families apart, and that the parents can take the kids with them if they choose. They seem to be finding some success at persuading many people that deporting the illegal members of a family is wrong, regardless of the law. Since they’re finding some success with this “divided families” rhetoric, they’ll keep using it and building on it.

aero on May 2, 2007 at 6:32 PM

Mellen on May 2, 2007 at 5:45 PM

Me too……

omegaram on May 2, 2007 at 7:08 PM

The MSM stopped being journalists a long time ago…….I think the word now would be “activists”.

sMack on May 2, 2007 at 7:17 PM

I think we should begin to emphasize that the reason we want the illegals to go home is that we care so much about their divided families back in Mexico.

My proposal: the kid gets citizenship if one parent is a citizen. The other parent doesn’t get to stay unless they’re married to the other parent. It’s at least a nice gesture toward family values.

My child was born overseas (Indonesia) and her birth papers had FOREIGNER written all over them. I don’t know how common it is to have citizenship attached to being born in a given country, but it sure isn’t universal. We ought to seriously reconsider the paths to citizenship and do much more to help folks appreciate what they have.

TexasDan on May 2, 2007 at 7:19 PM

emphasis tags seriously screwed up above. my apologies…

TexasDan on May 2, 2007 at 7:19 PM

Holy smoke, somebody get a picture…I actually agreed with Lou on something…….

All these libs would $h*t if we enforced OUR southern border the way our southern neighbors enforced theirs.

Lonevoice on May 2, 2007 at 7:55 PM

The drive-by’s stike again. AFTER we’re nuked THEN the libs will want to enforce the borders; not until then.

Mojave Mark on May 2, 2007 at 8:06 PM

we put it there because it rhymes…

now if that doesn’t epitomize the erosion of 21st century journalistic standards, I don’t know what does.

Opinionnation on May 2, 2007 at 9:53 PM

Kid from Brooklyn on May 2, 2007 at 3:43 PM

BANG!

G. Mason on May 3, 2007 at 7:34 AM

I don’t often agree with Lou Dobbs but he has it right on this immigration situation. Kieren showed her dumber side I guess with the “rhymes” comment.

Catie96706 on May 3, 2007 at 11:07 AM

If you must have such a thing as anchor babies, they should be able to return to the US when they turn 18 and become full citizens able to care for themselves…until then, b’bye!

James on May 3, 2007 at 3:23 PM

BTW I would like to commend Ian and HA for spotlighting Dobbs vis a vis the immigration issue even though most Conservatives disagree with him overall.

The immigration issue is that important.

Speakup on May 3, 2007 at 5:27 PM

Children born here to foreign parents are left here so that they can sponsor the entire family to immigrate when the grow up.

That’s also many times the point of coming at all costs to begin with, when the whole family comes back they’ll have green cards all ten, twenty of them and S.S.

Speakup on May 3, 2007 at 5:31 PM