Londonistan Calling

posted at 5:50 pm on May 1, 2007 by see-dubya

The State Department reports, and British officials concur, that the next terror attack in America may be hatched in the UK:

The finding, in the State Department’s annual country report on terrorism, reflects growing fears on both sides of the Atlantic about radicalised young British Muslims.

British intelligence chiefs have confirmed to The Times that they are worried by the prospect of the next attack in America being committed by a British citizen arriving without hindrance in the US on the visa waiver programme. They are liaising closely with the FBI to identify possible suspects.

Better be careful how you identify those suspects, though, or the Flying Imams will be after you with a pack of CAIR lawyers. They’re now pushing back against the John Doe pushback, in the Christian Science Monitor*:

“Of course people should report suspicious activity,” says Arsalan Iftikar, legal director for the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) in Washington, which has worked closely with the imams. “Nobody who reported any suspicious activity in good faith is a target in this lawsuit. However, making false and defamatory statements is not protected by law, and those are the people we want to depose.”

Because the imams’ suit also lists the passengers who allegedly made false reports, some conservative groups have taken up the defendant passengers’ cause. They say the suit is part of a larger strategy by Islamist extremists to probe airline security and intimidate Americans from reporting suspicious activity.

If you have been following the Flying Imams’ story, it’s interesting to hear their version of what happened on the flight, and how everything they did was just perfectly reasonable:

One imam, a frequent-flier gold-card member, was upgraded to first class. He asked if he could also upgrade some of his colleagues, but was told first class was full. Once on board, the upgraded imam asked for a seat-belt extension to accommodate his girth, as he does every time he flies, according to the imams’ complaint. A second imam also asked for a seat-belt extension, while another asked a passenger if he could change seats so that he could sit next to a colleague who is blind and may have needed help. He also went to talk briefly to his friend in first class.

Of course, they weren’t actually fat enough to need seat belt extensions.** I’m sized somewhere between the two biggest Imams and I’ve never needed a seatbelt extension. Not even close.

____________________________
* Does anyone actually read the Christian Science Monitor? Even Christian Scientists? I have never known a subscriber. I haven’t seen a print edition in years–not even a commuter on a bus or anything. Maybe, I guess, in a library.

People talk about it, and cite it in books and articles sometimes. But I’m not sure it actually exists.

** While trying to confirm how chubby you need to be to need a seat belt extension, I ran across this hilarious page on Southwest’s site about their policy of politely telling “passengers of size” that they’re so fat they need to buy an extra seat:

Why ask large Customers to purchase additional seating?
We could no longer ignore complaints from Customers who traveled without full access to the seat purchased due to encroachment by a large seatmate whose body extended into the neighboring seat. These Customers had uncomfortable (and sometimes painful) travel experiences, and it is our responsibility to seek resolution to prevent this problem.

Comments

I don’t think there’s any question that sooner or later the Islamicization of Europe is going to try to hop the pond, in any number of unpleasant ways. I can’t think of any reason to not assume this could be one of them.

Blacklake on May 1, 2007 at 6:29 PM

I’m not a lawyer, so, I don’t know how this would work in the case of defendants being “John Does”; however, doesn’t the plaintiff’s lawyer get access to the personal information of the defendants? If this is true, I wonder if the John Does are going to start getting death threats. Of course, the imams lawyers will have no idea how that information got leaked to the press.

JadeNYU on May 1, 2007 at 6:40 PM

It doesn’t surprise me that they think that the big plans are gonna come from Europe. I’d be surprised if they weren’t. Many of the most virulent jihadis are people who have had access to Europe, and rejected it or rejected by it, and then hate and wanna destroy us as a natural extension.

I’m actually more worried about the Euros than us, which sounds weird given how shaky people are about the Iraq campaign. I just think we’ll do the right thing at some point before things get outta hand, the Euros, I’m not so sure.

Bad Candy on May 1, 2007 at 7:01 PM

Perhaps we need to pen a strongly worded letter to the UN?

JetBoy on May 1, 2007 at 7:23 PM

Yep it does, I work for an elderly man who gets it in the mail, not a very lengthy publication.
I wonder if the Christian Science Reading Room is still open in the center of town? I’ll have to check and see.

Laura02420 on May 1, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Laura02420 on May 1, 2007 at 8:16 PM

There’s one open in downtown Santa Monica. I’ve never been in it though.

JadeNYU on May 1, 2007 at 8:30 PM

The “shoe bomber” Richard Schmuckarama was the first try.

It only gets worse…

profitsbeard on May 1, 2007 at 9:35 PM

Has anyone ever wondered why since 9/11 there hasn’t been many if any passenger jet crashes ? That seems very odd to me. I guess jet manufacturers have worked out all the bugs. HA Yeah right!

sonnyspats1 on May 2, 2007 at 12:37 AM

My mother is a subscriber. The reason it gets quoted and referenced a lot is because they have a reputation for being impartial and accurate. They do have a religious section in the paper, but the line between it and the hard news stories is boldly drawn and never crossed. Occasionally their editorials betray a bit of peacenick-ness, but compared to the rest of print media they could actually be described as pro-war.

I suppose the reasons you don’t see them around are that it’s not generally available at newsstands (not sure if that’s the case in Boston, though) and the people who subscribe are by and large not the kind to be litterers. Plus, I guess there’s that ‘small circulation numbers’ thing, too.

James on May 2, 2007 at 8:02 AM

I don’t subscribe to anything that has free online content. Why would I want a bunch of dead trees piling up in the living room? CSM is free online, and it is no worse than the NYT or WaPo in terms of annoying liberal commentary masquerading as “news”.

Lehuster on May 2, 2007 at 8:13 AM

“However, making false and defamatory statements is not protected by law, and those are the people we want to depose.”

Basically we who call ourselves ‘John Doe’ are having false, and defamatory statements made about us! I think we should sue CAIR, and the Imams for thier callous and reckless accusations regarding ‘US’ !!!

How dare they say we are liars without proof?! How dare they attack simple honest citizens merely on claims they and the Imams felt threatened?!

This is an outrage!

And do you see the blatant racism?! They are focusing some particular attacks on those who aren’t brown enough! I thouhght we were all part of the ‘Human’ race, and that descrimination like the kind they are showing was a relic of more backwards, and intolerant times!

Yes … I think as the legal manuvering acelerates, we should file suit for the damages that have been already inflicted upon we ‘John Does’, in the media! We should also pursue damages from the further neagative publicity we will aquire merely for defending ourselves!

I lack the legal background to know where to start, but I’d happiply join the suit if someone with the right skills should step forward :)

SAVE JOHN DOE FROM OPPRESSION, AND SLANDER!

USA, all the way!