Evening Dumbness: Small World Edition

posted at 11:27 pm on May 1, 2007 by see-dubya

Apparently George Tenet and Ron Jeremy were highschool classmates.

I can think of various jokes about what they’re getting paid to do now, but that’s pretty much Whoopi Goldberg level humor.

And speaking of small worlds:

Imagine a scrawny power-mad politician. He’s got a scraggly beard, he’s fond of Nehru jackets, and he never wears a tie. He’s completely obsessed with an ancient cult revolving around a mysterious, sinister figure who disappeared long ago. He’s ruthless and has ties to terrorists and criminals all over the world. And now, he’s willing to destroy the world to bring the babblings of that mad prophet into reality. Who is it?

Of course: Arvinijenad!

Arvin Sloane, from Alias. You may have thought that show was so corny as to be utterly absurd, but when you compare it to the Truther-lite plots on the later seasons of 24, you have to admit that…it’s still utterly absurd, but creepily topical.

If you are on the extreme left fringe, you think members of our own government are staging terrorist Islamist attacks to advance their control over us–just like 24. If you are on the center left to anywhere else, you (hopefully) realize that one of the greatest dangers to the world today is Arvininejad and his whirling centrifuges, blithely churning out Armageddon in order to summon back Rambaldi the Mahdi from his well.

Moral of the story? Sometimes life imitates art. And sometimes, it imitates bad TV.

This has been-(dumb dumb dumb!)-EVENING DUMBNESS!

Comments

I love Alias! It always kept me intrigued. Yes, it was Jennifer Garner – the very hot, lovely, Sydney. So tough, yet so vulnerable. The kind of woman I’m constantly attracted to. The plot? I really couldn’t care less.

thedecider on May 1, 2007 at 11:38 PM

Apparently George Tenet and Ron Jeremy were highschool classmates

I’ve suspected this all along.

billy on May 1, 2007 at 11:38 PM

I was thinking more on the lines of a hedgehog and a little pr%*&, but then again I left the comedy business when I stopped being a male stripper.

bbz123 on May 1, 2007 at 11:38 PM

Apparently George Tenet and Ron Jeremy were high school classmates.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

My EYES! My EYES!

CrimsonFisted on May 1, 2007 at 11:39 PM

And just what is wrong with ties?

Ties are nice!

RushBaby on May 1, 2007 at 11:40 PM

Yeah, Arvin and Ahmadummyjerk. I see the comparison. Yet, one is a madman with a strong, cult-like belief in semi-religious themes. The other, is a lunatic in an out-dated Members Only jacket. You can pick which is which.

thedecider on May 1, 2007 at 11:41 PM

Now we know where George got the “slam dunk” phrase!

Bradky on May 1, 2007 at 11:53 PM

I stopped watching the moment the “reformed” Jihadi leader (Dr. Bashir) foiled the bomb plot against the Prez.

Unbelievable crock of doo-doo.

infidel4life on May 2, 2007 at 12:05 AM

They were known for their balls after graduation as well, just in different ways.

Quote of the Day

Entelechy on May 2, 2007 at 12:53 AM

You know, Alias was designed to be campy. It’s the love child of Man From U.N.C.L.E. and Mission Impossible. They even borrowed MI’s style of opening with a full scene before the intro theme. And to Jennifer Garner’s Napoleon Solo you have Michael Vartan’s Illya Kuryakin, and Victor Garber’s Mr. Waverly. At least in the last case, Garber looks a bit like Leo G. Carroll.

So I’m old.

Freelancer on May 2, 2007 at 2:39 AM

Unbelievable crock of doo-doo.

infidel4life on May 2, 2007 at 12:05 AM

I think I stopped an episode or so after that. As I recall, he wasn’t even reformed, he just realized that coopting the media through diplomacy was more effective.

That reminds me of that line by William Dafoe’s character on the Boondock Saints: ‘Where do you see stuff like this? Television! Bad television does stuff like this.’

Wolfman on May 2, 2007 at 7:04 AM

All that’s missing from Ahmadinejad’s repetoire is a shadowy group that’s going around the world trying to steal various items to fulfill a prophesy.

Oh wait, he already has Hizbullah and Hamas doing just that by committing acts of terrorism and mass murder to fulfill the coming of the Mahdi.

lawhawk on May 2, 2007 at 9:54 AM

Alias is canceled, why not cancel AhmadIneedjihad?

Doug on May 2, 2007 at 10:31 AM

And just what is wrong with ties?

Ties are nice!

Ties are dumb. They should be banned.

Rick Donaldson on May 2, 2007 at 1:04 PM