London Fertilizer Bombers: GUILTY. (w/ gigantic slo-mo explosion video link)

posted at 8:56 am on April 30, 2007 by see-dubya

I can’t keep track of all the plots anymore. Originally I thought these were the guys who (allegedly) attempted–and buggered up–the copycat train bombing shortly after the 7/7 London bombing. Nope. These five guys were going to set off a McVeigh-style fertilizer bomb in the Bluewater shopping mall in Kent. And if you’re curious what their bomb design would have done, check out the FBI demonstration in the Telegraph’s video.

A secondary target was central London’s Ministry of Sound nightclub, where one of the plotters, Jawad Akbar, suggested getting a security-guard job. Akbar had broken up with his Sikh girlfriend and seemed to have taken a rather Puritanical swing–the cops recorded him (listen to the video) discussing the subject and exclaiming that “no now can turn round and say, ‘oh, they were innocent’, all those slags dancing around. Where every Tom, Dick, and Harry goes on Saturday night, yeah.”

This being a high-class operation, I will refrain from that all-too-obvious prison joke suggested by Mr. Akbar’s words and skip to three points you might have overlooked:

1. They’re lucky to have gotten a conviction, I think, because the ringleader’s ties to Al-Qaeda and specifically to the mastermind of the 7/7 Tube bombings weren’t admitted into evidence. Too prejudicial, ruled the judge.

2. Not only was the leader involved in Al-Qaeda, he was also involved in a banned group—since resurrected under a different name and banned again–that AllahPundit and Rusty at the Jawa Report talk about quite often: Al-Muhajiroun, darling of Allah’s little terror-supporting buddy Abu Izzadeen.

Oh, and one of them got religion at the Finsbury Park mosque, under former nightclub bouncer Abu “Hooky” Hamza.

3. Among the profiles of the bombers, do have a look at self-styled pretty boy Anthony Garcia:

Real name Abdulrahman Benouis he was the joker of the group and fancied himself as a male model. By his own admission, he was viewed as something of an “Ali G character” but he was also a key fund raiser for the group.

This just confirms one of my deepest prejudices: never trust a dude with a soul patch.

Comments

Sure the last few Ministry of Sound CD comps have sucked, but that’s no reason to blow the place up.

I’d really like to see London again before I die, if it lasts that long.

saint kansas on April 30, 2007 at 9:04 AM

I’m heading to London this weekend for a week (or maybe three).

Should be interesting.

flipflop on April 30, 2007 at 9:22 AM

Actually, not only was the leader radicalised by Al Muhajiroun, but so were some of the other members of the group. And, now that the trial has finished it is emerging that they were connected to 7/7. And, 7/7 was connected to Al Muhajiroun.

Basically, it is this one group that seems to be behind a lot of the “home-grown” terrorism in Britain today.

See my post here about it

Little Bulldogs on April 30, 2007 at 10:42 AM

They done blew that truck up real good.

Seriously, I’m relieved the British Lawgivers-In-Black got one right for a change, even if they tried to muck it up.

steveegg on April 30, 2007 at 10:55 AM

Actually, Looks like Lil’ Bulldog has Al-Muhajiroun well covered, got a lot of posts on homegrown radicals in Britain, take a look. Its interesting to see what you guys are dealing with on that side of the pond.

Bad Candy on April 30, 2007 at 12:51 PM

This is good news!

Kini on April 30, 2007 at 12:57 PM

Grooming advice, an exploding truck video, and a convicted terrorist caught on tape making a snicker-worthy double entendre–and this gets five comments all morning?

I obviously haven’t figured this place out yet.

see-dubya on April 30, 2007 at 12:57 PM

Call it stunned silence, CW.

Bitter shame the Brits don’t utilize the death penalty, or actually any real penalties at all. These terrorist Pieces of Shit will be out and about soon enough, probably coming to Chicago via the Mexican border, where they will be given jobs working for the City on behalf of some of the maggots elected to state government here; just need to change their names to Gonzales or Solis.

Jaibones on April 30, 2007 at 1:49 PM

I obviously haven’t figured this place out yet.

see-dubya on April 30, 2007 at 12:57 PM

There is a general “Iraq fatigue”, reflected also in the HA commentariat.

I’m always very happy at progress, in any form, against the terrorists, but only know to express it with “Great, I love it”. Also, “I wish the media would focus more on it”. I always read, reflect on it, rejoyce, but don’t always know what to say, or how to say it anew.

Please don’t be discouraged see-dubya. Please also continue to report on the good news. We need more, not less of it. It’s just such a sober, necessary, and not a light topic.

Entelechy on April 30, 2007 at 2:15 PM

Do I see a prison joke in there too? These guys deserve everything bad thing coming their way and more.

KelliD on April 30, 2007 at 4:37 PM

Omar Khyam…said: “They just need to be killed and blood spilled to me this is clear.”

He took the words right out of my mouth; I want him and his pals executed. I was wavering on the blood-spilling part, but Khyam’s lousy punctuation was the last straw.

Kralizec on April 30, 2007 at 8:34 PM