Hillary’s fake “multilingual” schtick

posted at 3:46 pm on April 30, 2007 by Bryan

If you’re a Southerner, Hillary Carpetbagger thinks that you speak a for-een language. That’ll win over those red states.

Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Rodham Clinton said Friday she sees her sometimes Southern accent as a virtue.

“I think America is ready for a multilingual president,” Clinton said during a campaign stop at a charter school in Greenville, S.C.

The New York senator — who said she’s been thinking about critics who’ve suggested that she tried to put on a fake Southern accent in Selma, Ala. — noted that she’s split her life between Arkansas, Illinois and the East Coast.

Clinton added a Southern lilt to her voice last week when addressing a civil rights group in New York City headed by the Rev. Al Sharpton. On Monday, dealing with a microphone glitch at a fundraiser for young donors, she quoted former slave and underground railroad leader Harriet Tubman.

It’s not a “Southern lilt” that Hillary adds, or not just a Southern lilt. She always adds it when speaking in black churches. What the reporter is passing off as falling into an old habit is just a shameless pander. And a bad one at that.

I’m sure Hillary is joking about being “multilingual,” but that’s the kind of joke that would get a Republican in trouble. So would faking the accent. And besides, as a joke it’s not even funny. And why do Democrats tend to joke about what “America is ready for” anyway? Liberal political humor, when it comes, nearly always has an annoying top-down, know-it-all, we’re-your-betters quality about it.

Hillary’s phony accent has been good for a Hot Air joke, though. I’m sure she’ll be good for quite a few jokes between now and election day.

Comments

Yes’m.

RightWinged on April 30, 2007 at 3:55 PM

I’ve split my life among 15 states and several foreign countries over the past 69 years so I suppose I should speak some unintelligible dialect that incorporates this lingual diversity. I know that’s absurd, but no more so than Hillary’s nonsense. Does anybody really believe what this woman says?

rplat on April 30, 2007 at 4:01 PM

Faking her “southern lilt” is a tactic used by someone who believes the people being spoken to are too stupid to understand them without the accent. It’s a form of condescention. You will never hear her speaking in a “yiddish lilt” will we? Of course not. She assumes the crowd is educated or sophisticated enough to understand her. She only pulls this type of stunt when speaking to “minorities”, that she assumes the opposite of.

roninacreage on April 30, 2007 at 4:02 PM

Yeah, it’s just a Southern lilt, right.
Then why did she answer a questions from one of the ladies at the black church with “Fo’ shizzle!”?

RW Wacko on April 30, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Bill used to do it all the time. His southern accent (no doubt genuine in his case) would thin and thicken depending on the audience he was speaking to. He was slick about it, though. The accent was always there, it just got so light when he was speaking to northerners that you might not notice it. Hillary is a lot more hamfisted.

Farmer_Joe on April 30, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Clinton is a linguistic polyglot

Correction, a pandering linguistic polyglot.

If you consider speaking in a southern drawl a second or multilingual language. I consider it bad English.

There is only ONE state with an official second language.

Kini on April 30, 2007 at 4:04 PM

I’m sorry, speaking english and pander doesn’t make you multilingual.

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on April 30, 2007 at 4:07 PM

I can’t wait to hear her China Town speech….I Rove Hirriry !!!! Just kidding!

soulsirkus on April 30, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Obama just passed Hillary as the most popular democratic candidate.

Choices of evils there.

William Amos on April 30, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Since the libs have countless examples of ‘botched jokes’ that fall flat, they should just stick with their foaming hatred schtick. It suits them better and is more believable.

pistolero on April 30, 2007 at 4:08 PM

Someone should point out to her that we already have a “multilingual” President as Bush is fluent in Spanish. Technically, that’s bi-lingual but multilingual is “2 or more” so it counts.

Oh, and he doesn’t have to fake his southern drawl either.

Faith1 on April 30, 2007 at 4:09 PM

Fiddling – and Rome is burning.

The US is embroiled in a baseless war, there are US citizens being shredded on a senseless battlefield.

At home the country is the bathed in news coverage that barely counts as local, where school kids slide into mass hysteria and the ‘news at six’ asks if it was a ‘terrorist gas attack’.

A government up to its knees in sleaze and corruption, falling apart at the seams as lie after lie is revealed for what it is.

Law and order shunted up several gears into ‘over-reaction’ mode – mindless drones enforcing draconian rules that would not be out of place in a dictatorship – for no reason…

And you focus on the way someone talks?

Pathetic, crass and moronic.

Keep fiddling, idiot.

eminuu on April 30, 2007 at 4:16 PM

Maybe Bill should teach her to become more fluent in “Clintonese.” They can conjugate the verb “is” together.

Mallard T. Drake on April 30, 2007 at 4:22 PM

eminuu on April 30, 2007 at 4:16 PM

The US is embroiled in a basless war…
A government up to its knees in sleaze…
Law and order shunted (great word)…

And you are blogging.

Pathetic, crass and moronic.

Keep fiddling with your computer, idiot.

See how it works?

In case you haven’t noticed, some people can carry several thoughts and several ideas at the same time and several passions. Obviously, an idea and thought that has escaped you. But then you only care (at first read) about three things…what a surprise, they all attack the current administration. Looks like you think only about one thing afterall….idiot.

right2bright on April 30, 2007 at 4:25 PM

eminuu must still be living in 1999, while we bombed Kosovo for no good reason, both Clintons lied their way out of multiple REAL scandals, Janet Reno was using deadly force to deport a child back to HELL, the IRS was being used as a Gestapo against any and all opponents, etc. etc. etc.

Freelancer on April 30, 2007 at 4:26 PM

Mallard T. Drake on April 30, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Uhh, Mallard? I don’t think they’ve “conjugated” in quite some time.

::rimshot::

Freelancer on April 30, 2007 at 4:28 PM

“I’m sure she’ll be good for quite a few jokes between now and election day.”

I think you mean “now and Democratic Convention.”

Dusty on April 30, 2007 at 4:29 PM

I actually believe that Hillary is correct when she talks about “multi-lingual.” She believe’s that she’s already got an “in” with the “bi” crowd….

ScottG on April 30, 2007 at 4:30 PM

We obviously have an ‘erudite’ troll in eminuu.

Bryan, thanks for posting this, as it is telling how dumb our media is, our ‘smartest woman of the world’ is, our school system is, and our trolls are.

She did not mean that as a joke. Here came a Chicago Tribune reporter to semi-defend her, not once mentioning a joke, the misplaced meaning of the words “multilingual” and “polyglot”.

This is so telling about our erudite media, from them we only ask that they know English (if they work in English-speaking countries). We no longer expect anything else. Yet, this is what the illustrious Associated Press wrote:

Clinton is a linguistic polyglot a Chicago native turned New York resident who works in Washington and spent two decades living in Arkansas when her husband, Bill Clinton, was governor.

I simply can’t get over the commonly accepted idiocy, only confirmed by eminuu, above.

- multilingual

- polyglot

Never mind that same suspects have ridiculed the Texas access and Spanish attempts of Mr. Bush for years, now.

I await in anticipation her attempts at: Spanish, Arabic, French, German, Italian, depending which city she’ll be in during 2008. Maybe she’ll call that polyculture – agriculture using multiple crops in the same space

The media silence and ignorance in this regard is pathetic.

eminuu, the goose/gander thing comes to mind…

Those who don’t value their language, lose their culture.

Entelechy on April 30, 2007 at 4:35 PM

No more stars and stripes because you’re back in the …back in the…back in the…back in the USSR…United States Socialist Republic

DCJeff on April 30, 2007 at 4:40 PM

You will never hear her speaking in a “yiddish lilt” will we?…
roninacreage on April 30, 2007 at 4:02 PM
I don’t know about that. I could easily see her throwing in a gratuitous “Oy Vey!” in a speech about those frustrating, uncooperative Republicans.

eeyore on April 30, 2007 at 4:40 PM

I’m Hoping SNL will take this fake accent stuff and run wid it. If she gets away with horrible condescending accents and jokes like this nothing will stop her. Not even Bp’s posts! She’ll probably remedy any racial controversy by asking Barry to run as her Vice.

Drtuddle on April 30, 2007 at 4:45 PM

Spin, deflect, evade, attack elsewhere.

Oh, nevermind. Eminuu has already been here.

My work here is done. I must go elsewhere now to complain about how they’re spending their time. Oddly I can’t get anything done as I’m spending all my time complaining about how others spend their time… but I’m sure I’m making a difference for the world.

I’m like a superhero… I’m even wearing my underwear on the outside today. YEAH ME.

gekkobear on April 30, 2007 at 4:47 PM

Hillary must be doing something right if this is all you can come up with. Jeez, you guys are falling down on the job….

honora on April 30, 2007 at 4:50 PM

Did shrillary fake it with billy jeff? Just askin’.

tormod on April 30, 2007 at 4:52 PM

honora, I definitely think you’re smarter than eminuu. The issue is not Hillary – the issue is the incredible ignorance on her and the media’s part. I can’t tell you how much this hurts me to read it from you too. Sincerely,

Entelechy on April 30, 2007 at 4:53 PM

Really, really poor attempt at your usual deflection, honora. You don’t honestly want us to present a real list, do you?

eminuu fails to realize that the post, and therefore the thread, has a topic. I know you don’t make that mistake, therefore in your case it is pretense. But we choose to comment on topic, to your chagrine.

Have a crack at backsearching all the Hillary topics in The Vault, you won’t be asking if this is all we can come up with.

Freelancer on April 30, 2007 at 5:00 PM

And you focus on the way someone talks?
Pathetic, crass and moronic.
eminuu on April 30, 2007 at 4:16 PM

Sho’ Nuff.

there it is on April 30, 2007 at 5:04 PM

I think SNL did a skit about Hillary’s southern accent recently. Anybody rememeber?

Gotta say: I lived all over the country growing up (oil brat, not military brat) and I still sometimes slip into the accent of whoever I’m talking to. Picture me in a New York 4th grade classroom:

Teacher: Who can name the vowels? Penny?
Penny: ayyeee, ee-ee, aa-ahh, oohh, ye-ewww.
Class: Ha ha ha {for five minutes).

That’ll learn ya to adapt a new accent pretty quick, but I reckon if I was a-runnin for president ah’d trah to control it a lil bit more than Hill does.

Bad Penny on April 30, 2007 at 5:05 PM

Entelechy on April 30, 2007 at 4:53 PM

Oh come on. You really think this is such a big deal? Actually, she has command of one more language than the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania, right? ;^)

honora on April 30, 2007 at 5:07 PM

she’s full of crap. she’s not from the South and she hasn’t lived in Arkansas for 15 years. she changes accents, she changes her name – however stupid, it’s all for political show just like everything else.

CP on April 30, 2007 at 5:12 PM

The media silence and ignorance in this regard is pathetic.

eminuu, the goose/gander thing comes to mind…

Those who don’t value their language, lose their culture.

Entelechy on April 30, 2007 at 4:35 PM

I didn’t see anything in the links that suggests Hillary is advocating multi-language instruction in the schools.

Will you put the same scrutiny on Fred Thompson if he sounds more New York in some speeches and more “down home” when visiting his ancestral roots?

Bradky on April 30, 2007 at 5:15 PM

Ah, but is America ready for an illiterate President….From Merriam Webster:

Main Entry: mul·ti·lin·gual
Pronunciation: -’li[ng]-gw&l, -’li[ng]-gy&-w&l
Function: adjective
1 : of, having, or expressed in several languages
2 : using or able to use several languages especially with equal fluency

So, is she suggesting that a Southern accent, is an entirely different language? She hasn’t lived in the South in over a decade. She’s gone from Washington to New York. Southern accent my @ss.

amerpundit on April 30, 2007 at 5:23 PM

honora on April 30, 2007 at 5:07 PM

My friend, your ‘friend’ answered it more perfectly than I ever could:

And you focus on the way someone talks?

Pathetic, crass and moronic…

eminuu on April 30, 2007 at 4:16 PM

Bradky, if you don’t understand what is at issue here, please either read the articles again, or my comments again, or just drop it because you are mixing apples with oranges.

Multilingual doesn’t mean speaking with a variety of regional accents (i.e. your Fred reference – also, I remind you of the laughs yours have with that when Mr. Bush speaks with a Texan accent).

A “linguistic poliglot“, as the AP put it, doesn’t have anything to do with regional accents either.

The linguistic ignorance of her and the media are my number one peeve on this topic.

My second one is the assurance with which she/they (media) believe that we’re all idiots.

Entelechy on April 30, 2007 at 5:24 PM

I think she used to do a much better southern accent when she was married to the governor of Arkansas. Seems to have lost the skill.

She’s not a polyglot: she’s a chameleon. Changes her skin as it suits her.

TexasDan on April 30, 2007 at 5:24 PM

Entelechy on April 30, 2007 at 5:24 PM

I was questioning your inference about losing one’s culture and asking if Thompson will get a pass if he changes accents from time to time is a reasonable question.

Bradky on April 30, 2007 at 5:28 PM

She’s not a polyglot: she’s a chameleon. Changes her skin as it suits her.

TexasDan on April 30, 2007 at 5:24 PM

You mean when she, ah, lived in the south? Conniving bitch.

honora on April 30, 2007 at 5:33 PM

Bradky, how is using a coloquial accent related to losing culture? I never had a problem with Mr. Clinton speaking like they do in Arkansas. Never do I belittle people from anywhere, the U.S. or the outside, or even stop to think about it, when they speak English with an accent. I simply hear that they have an accent. It never bothers me one iota. I have a slight one myself and no one ever has done anything adverse to me because of it.

The issue here is mutilating or misusing words, i.e. “multilingual” and “polyglot”.

Last comment from me to you on this topic, because we’re not on the same track.

Entelechy on April 30, 2007 at 5:35 PM

can’t wait to hear her China Town speech….I Rove Hirriry !!!! Just kidding!

soulsirkus on April 30, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Seems more Scooby Doo than Chinatown…

allie on April 30, 2007 at 5:37 PM

‘Carpetbagger’ or ‘Copperhead’? I think the later. Carpetbaggers have more scruples.

Limerick on April 30, 2007 at 5:43 PM

honora on April 30, 2007 at 5:07 PM

Speaking to black audiences with weird, faked black-southern dialect? Uh…yeah. Don’t you, whitey?

As for the “current occupant”, he seems to have English, Texan and Spanish down pretty well. What has Billary got? Wellesley feminist and Beltway Gobbledegook? That’s only one language in two dialects…

Jaibones on April 30, 2007 at 5:45 PM

Hillary the Magic Negro

Khyber Pass on April 30, 2007 at 5:51 PM

We just need a ‘Rollerball’ match and forget all this election business. Fred!Selleck!Hopper!Willis!Keith! vs Biden,Kucinich,Billary,Obama, and Silky Pony/Pink Sapphire/Stinky Pretzel. That’ll knock the accent out of the argument.

Limerick on April 30, 2007 at 5:56 PM

And you focus on the way someone talks?
Pathetic, crass and moronic.
eminuu on April 30, 2007 at 4:16 PM

This is the 1st time this has happened ever. Nappy Headed Ho…never mind

Wade on April 30, 2007 at 5:59 PM

Entelechy on April 30, 2007 at 5:35 PM

That’s the point! Hillery is not speaking in another language. Yet, the News Maker reporter attempts to claim that Hillary is speaking in another language, other than the Americanized version of the Kings English. When she speaks like Cletus the Slack Jaw Yokel at a black church, that’s pandering, not bilingual.

Kini on April 30, 2007 at 6:06 PM

honora on April 30, 2007 at 4:50 PM

Best we can come up with? Not at all, it’s just entertaining. And it’s really obnoxious that she talks like this to cheering black crowds (just like the crowds that cheer for Obama claiming that Bloody Sunday, an event that happened when he was 4, lead to his birth). And Bryan is right to point out that any Republican would have been destroyed if they would have implied that putting on the horrible accent is speaking another language. Not only would there have been forced apologies, they’d have to show up in interviews to explain themselves and apologize further, and the White House would be pressed to denounce the comments at press briefings. If the hypothetical GOP member held a ranking position on any committees, they’d be forced to resign those positions.

RightWinged on April 30, 2007 at 6:19 PM

These people have been disenfranchised by both parties.

Limerick on April 30, 2007 at 6:25 PM

When I was young and in college I got very good at accents. I was a Theatre major and had to do quite a few of them. What happened sometimes though, is that I would be at a club and start talking to say…someone hispanic. I would fall into the hispanic accent. When I was living in Hawaii, I met people from England and I would fall into the english accent.

Did I mention that I had always been drinking at the time?

Do you think Hillary is a drunk?

;-)

Rightwingsparkle on April 30, 2007 at 6:45 PM

Do you think Hillary is a drunk?

Rightwingsparkle on April 30, 2007 at 6:45 PM

With illusions of power

Kini on April 30, 2007 at 7:30 PM

honora on April 30, 2007 at 4:50 PM

Oh, come on honora! I would make fun of any politcian who faked an accent to pander to a crowd!!! I can’t even recall anyone ever doing this before. It’s beyond ridiculous. To be honest, I can’t believe she is doing it. She may be wrong on all the issues, but she isn’t stupid. I find this sorta stupid.

Rightwingsparkle on April 30, 2007 at 7:36 PM

That picture of Hildabeast – is that her “Pelosi” look?

Woody

woodcdi on April 30, 2007 at 8:30 PM

honora on April 30, 2007 at 4:50 PM

Okay, why is Hillary sitting in a CHURCH talking Marxist class division class envy politics to an African American audience? Why are they so stoked when she, the daughter of upper middle class comforts, talks about all their oppression, when they have average annual incomes that are jaw-dropping to a typical African fellow, in say, Guinea, and houses that would count as palaces to Africans who live with their entire family in a 9×12 room, no running water, charcoal stoves for cooking, and share the toilet with five other families. Why does Hillary talk about slavery when it was eliminated in the United States by virtue of a huge civil war, the world’s two largest armies at the time having at it, bloodily, over 140 years ago. Yet, not a word for the real slaves who live nasty, brutish and short lives in other countries? How many generations have passed in the United States since slavery was eliminated? So, why does she bring it up? Not a single “white person” in the USA has even a great-grandparent who could speak of those days. Are there not issues that are more timely and urgent?
The phoney accent is the least of the problems of Hillary.

naliaka on April 30, 2007 at 8:48 PM

honora on April 30, 2007 at 4:50 PM

I’ve read some really lame post from you but this one… never mind, not worth the time to respond

Wade on April 30, 2007 at 8:50 PM

eminuu on April 30, 2007 at 4:16 PM

honora on April 30, 2007 at 4:50 PM

Too busy being a capitalist today, last day of the month and all, to have missed this. They are probably long gone, so I won’t waste too much time, the excellent commentors already hit the home runs.

My only thought at the moment, if you can’t see right through Hillary Clinton, you are truly blinded by ideology.

PinkyBigglesworth on April 30, 2007 at 9:50 PM

Hillary’s fake “multilingual” schtick

“Hillary” and “fake” in the same sentence.

Two words, pretty much sums it up.

Lawrence on April 30, 2007 at 10:20 PM

I bet Fred! knows how to properly pronounce Appalachia.

Barntender on May 1, 2007 at 12:11 AM

Anyone with a voice like Shrillary is physically incabable of affecting any voice that could accurately be described as a ‘lilt’. After all, the term ‘lilt’ carries with it the implication of something pleasing to the ears. I’m pretty sure the only thing she could say that my ears would find pleasing is something along the lines of ‘I’ve decided to live the rest of my life in seclusion.’

Wolfman on May 1, 2007 at 3:50 AM

Wade on April 30, 2007 at 8:50 PM

Glad to see you didn’t.

??

Put this in the context of a torturous post on the misuse of language, and well, I think it’s kinda funny.

honora on May 1, 2007 at 2:45 PM