Goracle: Too extreme for his own guru

posted at 12:07 pm on April 30, 2007 by Bryan

The apprecentice didn’t heed the words of his mentor:

He was the author of the influential 1982 Scientific American article that elevated global warming on to the public agenda. For being “the grandfather of the greenhouse effect,” as he put it, he was awarded the National Medal of Science by the first President Bush.

Roger Revelle’s most consequential act, however, may have come in his role as a teacher, during the 1960s at Harvard. Dr. Revelle inspired a young student named Al Gore.

Dr. Revelle would change Gore’s life, particularly since the climate-change field had become cutting edge, with Dr. Revelle adding to the excitement by giving his students advance notice of the fruits of his research.

“It felt like such a privilege to be able to hear about the readouts from some of those measurements in a group of no more than a dozen undergraduates,” Gore later explained. “Here was this teacher presenting something not years old but fresh out of the lab, with profound implications for our future!”

So there’s your set-up: the Goracle learned at the feet of professor Revelle. Which makes this part interesting:

While Gore in the late 1980s was becoming a prominent politician, loudly warning of globalwarming dangers, Dr. Revelle was quietly warning against taking any drastic action.

In a July 14, 1988, letter to Congressman Jim Bates, he wrote that: “Most scientists familiar with the subject are not yet willing to bet that the climate this year is the result of ‘greenhouse warming.’ As you very well know, climate is highly variable from year to year, and the causes of these variations are not at all well understood. My own personal belief is that we should wait another 10 or 20 years to really be convinced that the greenhouse is going to be important for human beings, in both positive and negative ways.” A few days later, he sent a similar letter to Senator Tim Wirth, cautioning “… we should be careful not to arouse too much alarm until the rate and amount of warming becomes clearer.”

In 1991, Revelle wrote a cautious article on global warming along with two other prominent climatologists. The article stated that it might take decades of research before the science on climate change could settle, and that taking drastic action before the science was solid would be “reckless.” That didn’t stop Gore from touting what has become the new orthodoxy:

Three months after the Cosmos article appeared, Dr. Revelle died of a heart attack. One year later, with Al Gore running for vice-president in the 1992 presidential election, the inconsistency between Gore’s pronouncements — he claimed that the “science was settled” then, too — and those of his mentor became national news. Gore responded with a withering attack, leading to claims that Dr. Revelle had become senile before his death, that Dr. Singer had duped Dr. Revelle into co-authoring the article, and that Dr. Singer had listed Dr. Revelle as a co-author over his objections. The sordid accusations ended in a defamation suit and an abject public apology in 1994 from Gore’s academic hit man, a prominent Harvard scientist, who revealed his unsavory role and that of Gore in the fabrications against Dr. Singer and Dr. Revelle.

So the Goracle isn’t just a whack-job, but a smear artist as well. That explains much, including how Gore could promote war with Iraq in 2002 and turn against it in on the eve of that war in 2003.

Comments

Are there any prominent Socialists that do not emloy such tactics? For that matter are there ANY lefties who play fair?
Stalin would be proud.

bbz123 on April 30, 2007 at 12:14 PM

Don’t let facts get in the way of good Leftist propaganda

Defector01 on April 30, 2007 at 12:18 PM

He’s obviously an oil company shill.

Farmer_Joe on April 30, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Don’t let facts get in the way of good Leftist propaganda

Defector01 on April 30, 2007 at 12:18 PM

Bingo.

GT on April 30, 2007 at 12:26 PM

Dr. Revelle’s cautions came prior to the collapse of the Soviet Union. Following the collape of the USSR, many of the monitoring stations in Siberia went off-line. This not only reduced the amount of Earth temperature data, it skewed the data to the warm side of the scale.

The Goracle and his minions have been using the resulting rise in the data graph as evidence of recent global warming rather than acknowledging the change in the data sample. Unfortunately, Dr. Revelle was not around to have his observations of this situation on the record somewhere.

This information is presented in the Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming.

Mallard T. Drake on April 30, 2007 at 12:26 PM

Your argument would be more convincing if the good Professor’s time line didn’t indicate that right now is the time we should have reached some sort of scientific consensus and started to decide what we’re going to do about it.

JaHerer22 on April 30, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Your counter-argument might be more convincing if you actually read the articles we (and you) link to. You’ve had a problem with that in the past, JH. Learn from your mistakes so that you don’t repeat them.

Bryan on April 30, 2007 at 12:32 PM

JaHerer22,

scientific consensus

That’s the big debate – there is no scientific consensus. Scientists are all over the board about global warming. My husband and I have told our lefty friends about Gore’s “carbon offset” ponzi scheme. Even the most liberal of them find it hilarious. Even if in theory he’s marginally correct about global warming, his scaremonger tactics, do what I say not as I do, and this carbon offset shinola will just make him look like the bigger fool than he already is. He is losing credibility fast, if he had any to begin with.

pullingmyhairout on April 30, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Don’t let facts get in the way of good Leftist propaganda power grabs.

Defector01 on April 30, 2007 at 12:18 PM

Fixed.

Besides, facts never got in the way of a greedy person trying to profit off of something.

Tim Burton on April 30, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Is there a consensus about man causing the global warming on Mars? I’m still fuzzy about that.

Tim Burton on April 30, 2007 at 12:37 PM

Tim Burton on April 30, 2007 at 12:36 PM

like carbon offsets.

pullingmyhairout on April 30, 2007 at 12:38 PM

Sounds like Rev. Al has another heretic to cast out of the Alvengelical Church.

Question: When the Inquisition comes, will they find a green way to burn the nonbelievers and blasphemers at the stake, or will they just buy carbon offsets?

Bad Candy on April 30, 2007 at 12:41 PM

Was Revelle calling for consensus, or better data? Seems the latter to me.

Slublog on April 30, 2007 at 12:42 PM

The bastard’s still going to run in 08. I fail to see how he cannot – Like a dog rolling in his droppings. And roughly 50% of America think he doesn’t stink. Maybe it’ll wake the other 50% up. It’d better!

james hooker on April 30, 2007 at 12:45 PM

Blame Canada.

tree hugging sister on April 30, 2007 at 12:52 PM

It’s a fraud, eh!

Mr. Bingley on April 30, 2007 at 1:04 PM

” …. we should wait another 10 or 20 10,000 or 20,000 years to really be convinced that the greenhouse is going to be important for human beings, in both positive and negative ways.”

Fixed it for ya.

fogw on April 30, 2007 at 1:06 PM

This is RED MEAT!

budorob on April 30, 2007 at 1:17 PM

Gore responded with a withering attack, leading to claims that Dr Revelle had become senile before his death…

What a shameless hack. With a single scentence Al Gore set out to undermine and destroy the life’s work of a highly respected serious scientist in order to taper the inconvenient roadblock this man’s final work presented to Gore’s own political asperations. Al Gore is simply an ungrateful, scheming, manipulative fool.

Zetterson on April 30, 2007 at 1:20 PM

As Adam Savage of the mythbusters likes to say,” I reject your reality and substitute my own”. That is, as we all know the liberals modus operandi.

deadbackpacker on April 30, 2007 at 1:26 PM

To do my part for the environment I have removed the tail-gate from my F250. Much better areodynamics. Went from 13 to 14 MPG. Just trying to do my part.

Limerick on April 30, 2007 at 1:28 PM

Of course the dog keeps slipping out the back now. Stupid dog.

Limerick on April 30, 2007 at 1:30 PM

The bastard’s still going to run in 08. I fail to see how he cannot

On the plus side, like the other Dems, he seems to think he’s running against Bush, who is not running in 2008. Also, he can do his southern preacher bit all he wants, but there’s a real (and clean) black candidate this time.

Even more plusser, he’d have to run against his former boss, who’d very much like to be co-president again and who knows where he lives.

And most plustest, he’s so far out there with his global warming scam that he’s left tons of room for other candidates to play in; i.e., “Of course I’m concerned about global warming, but unlike Mr. Gore I also care about [insert pandering answer here]…”

saint kansas on April 30, 2007 at 1:33 PM

Gore is a shyster. Those who know him personally, say he is a vicious one at that. He sided always with the Sandinistas – this should tell you everything about his philosophy. The fact that he preaches that life to us, but lives the one of a baron, should tell you all about his hypocrisy.

The bastard’s still going to run in 08…

james hooker on April 30, 2007 at 12:45 PM

I hope he does. I’d love to see the Tennessee waltz played out, with him finally losing his mind, to none other than his Tennesseean fellow, Fred! Maybe that would shut him up for a longer time.

Entelechy on April 30, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Is anyone really suprised by Algore’s actions?

Simply the status quo for this part of the liberal agenda.

JetBoy on April 30, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Tim Burton on April 30, 2007 at 12:37 PM

Come on, Tim. As the High Priestess Lori Fenton clearly states here, Global Wormening and Martian Wormening are two completely different things. On Mars, it’s caused by dust storms caused by high winds caused by, well, the Sun, and on Earth it’s caused by Uncle Cletus’ pickup truck. Because, as we all know, Mother Gaia is completely immune to variations in solar output. Mars, on the other hand, isn’t.

Now go and sin no more. The Goreacle’s Peace be Upon You.

Misha I on April 30, 2007 at 1:58 PM

No offense, but this article is irrelevant, or, at least, doesn’t contradict Gore. His “mentor” said 20 years ago that we should wait 10 or 20 years before taking any drastic action, and published a “cautious” article 15 years ago.

I personally think Gore is an idiot, but nothing in the content you quoted substantiates the assertion in the headline that Gore is too extreme for Revelle.

DaveS on April 30, 2007 at 2:15 PM

I have to keep lowering the level of indecency to which we know ALgore will stoop to enrich himself and gain notoriety:

- Exaggerate my professional accomplishments absurdly
- Make up nasty lies about dead people to discredit their inconvenient opinions
- Create a company to sell “carbon offsets” for the hilarious amounts of energy I burn, so that I can keep control of my millions
- Cynically market environmental hysteria through my rich friends in Hollywood and the media, telling poor people to burn less gasoline
- Run for President on a platform of environmental hysteria

Keep digging, Al. We found a bigger shovel.

Jaibones on April 30, 2007 at 2:16 PM

saint kansas on April 30, 2007 at 1:33 PM

Exactly, and doesn’t seem like all the demdumb candidates are running against Bush.
Half Baked Beans the lot of them.

Kini on April 30, 2007 at 2:17 PM

Now go and sin no more. The Goreacle’s Peace be Upon You.

Misha I on April 30, 2007 at 1:58 PM

I love taking things like this and using them against hippies. “I as a Republican am more powerful than your goddess. Now eat methane (ttththhhhhrrrrpppp).”

- The Cat

MirCat on April 30, 2007 at 2:30 PM

Entelechy on April 30, 2007 at 1:46 PM

I’ll second that. The sadistic joy that I would experience in watching Al Gore lose the general election for a second time is so rank I can taste it. As much as I disrespect the ninnies, clowns, and poseurs running for the Democrat nomination, I only truly despise Al Gore.

Jaibones on April 30, 2007 at 3:18 PM

First Gore drools over his ‘mentor’ and how he is privileged to have such new inside info, then???

“Gore responded with a withering attack, leading to claims that Dr. Revelle had become senile before his death,…”

Whack job. Ouch . The guy died, and Gore attacks his mind, his sanity.?.?
What a hateful narcissistic clintonite.

shooter on April 30, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Whack job. Ouch . The guy died, and Gore attacks his mind, his sanity.?.?
What a hateful narcissistic clintonite.

shooter

And he was his mentor and teacher. Lord knows I don’t agree with alot of the politics of my mentors back in college but i’d never say they were senile or lost their minds, no matter how far left they went, simply because they were instrumental to my development as a person.

Defector01 on April 30, 2007 at 3:28 PM

The surprising thing, is that some think this is surprising.

Al Gore is a liar, a profiteer. That he is a hatchet man should come as no surprise…it is his path.

right2bright on April 30, 2007 at 3:30 PM

The rest of the quote. “Gore responded with a withering attack, leading to claims that Dr. Revelle had become senile before his death and he hated Polar Bears” Not really, but that would help Gore’s cause since the Polar Bear has become the poster child for Global Warming.

I don’t really give a crap about going Green and footprint shamunga but I do like the idea of saving money. That’s how I would go towards being Green. I mean if those $3 bulbs are going to save me $50 bucks in the bulbs lifetime that makes great Conservative sense. With my rodeo only getting 18 MPG I would really like an economy car. Maybe a hybrid but I’m worried what do I do when it breaks down. Or maybe get a boring 4 cylinder with 35 mpg.

I really like the idea about the Green homes even though I shudder at the word “Green”. About 15 years ago I had a dream of a self sufficient home. I ordered books on solar panels how they made them as shingles for a dual purpose and the wind mills to run power. And how you could actually get money back if you created more electricity than you used. I like the water run off collection on these house to water your own lawn. Of course it would have taken some considerable finances to finish these products, but in theory they would pay for themselves. That’s how I think of Green -money!

Drtuddle on April 30, 2007 at 3:45 PM

I know Ann Coulter is a curse word around here, but I have to say that she made a similar point a few months ago. In response to his obvious hypocrisy with all the flying he does and insane amount of energy his home uses, she essentially said – At least we know Gore isn’t stupid, he’s just a liar.

RightWinged on April 30, 2007 at 4:02 PM

JaHerer22 on April 30, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Typically wrong. Right now would be, had the good professor lived and not had his research smeared into virtual non-existence by leftist propaganda, the time to have reached a consensus and started to decide what to do. Which might have meant, had scientific integrity been allowed to prevail, doing nothing because what is happening is a natural Earth/Sun variation season.

Oh, and there’s always that pesky data showing that historical rises in CO2 FOLLOW warming periods by decades, even centuries. They are an effect of warming, not a cause. The extra study Dr. Revelle recommended, had it been done with honest truth-seeking in mind rather than simply hunting for the latest Chicken Little story to profit from, would likely have cleared that up sooner.

Freelancer on April 30, 2007 at 5:23 PM

RightWinged on April 30, 2007 at 4:02 PM

RW, let the weak speak for themselves. We dig the long blonde bombthrower.

Jaibones on April 30, 2007 at 5:36 PM

One thing I’d like to see changed is “Goreacle”. This story pretty much shows that the name gives the idiot too much credit.

I’d like to see either Gorebecile, or Gore-on.

Or make another, just no more of the first one.

TheSev on April 30, 2007 at 5:39 PM

Bryan since your giving a history lesson on Gore’s relationships in the past, I thought I would contribute this expose piece. Do you have any opinions whether this account is accurate, or would anyone care to elaborate?

sonnyspats1 on April 30, 2007 at 9:09 PM

Gore needs to purchase “extremist offsets”.

csdeven on April 30, 2007 at 11:19 PM

…become senile before his death

Oh, dear God, I read that as ‘penile’ at first.

See where my brain goes when Gorezilla’s involved?

tree hugging sister on May 1, 2007 at 1:58 PM