Fred trying to harness bloggers’ enthusiasm

posted at 6:47 pm on April 30, 2007 by see-dubya

Harness it? Let it run! It wants to be free!

The advisers say Thompson, who plays District Attorney Arthur Branch on NBC’s “Law & Order,” is researching ways to use technology — including the Web, videoconferences and teleconferences — to harness the enthusiasm for his candidacy among grass-roots bloggers and activists. The campaign also would rely on large events, such as those that have in part supplanted country-store campaigning for some in the Democratic field.

Hm? What is this enthusiasm is he speaks of?

Hot Air Poll Results

Comments

Pssst!

FRED!

harrison on April 30, 2007 at 6:51 PM

Fred! HA needs you!

Question: So he declares……what are the election rules about the opposition using ‘clips’ from any of the movies/tv series? Wouldn’t they have to receive permission from the studios/producers? Or is there a ‘fair-use’ rule regarding this type of stuff?

Limerick on April 30, 2007 at 6:53 PM

Its smart of him to take his time. I think the American public will OD on all the Obama mania going on. Im already sick of hearing his name.

BTW it isnt even MAY yet in 2007 and the first primary is in january I believe. I urge all republicans to SHUN any debate for the next 5 months. Let the dems carry on and run out thier welcome

William Amos on April 30, 2007 at 6:54 PM

C’mon, Fred! You’ve checked your hole cards several times now. Pocket aces, and the flop comes up A, K, K.

Time to push ‘em all in.

Freelancer on April 30, 2007 at 6:54 PM

Yep… time to go ALL IN Fred!

Romeo13 on April 30, 2007 at 7:00 PM

I want to see how he does in the debates.
Hopefully he’ll decide soon enough to participate in most of them.
So far I’m thinking a Thompson/Hunter ticket would be closest to ideal.

brewt on April 30, 2007 at 7:00 PM

I butchered that html, my apologies. Visit Bob’s site he has several good dvd’s for the undecicded centrists that we know. I bought Politics:Easy as Pie. The left leaning centrist’s that I know will get a viewing. He makes the complicated very simple and easy to understand.

Theworldisnotenough on April 30, 2007 at 7:12 PM

If he champions (and completes) the cause of dismantling the IRS…in favor of a fair or flat tax…I’ll drink his bath water.

!

locomotivebreath1901 on April 30, 2007 at 7:12 PM

locomotivebreath1901 on April 30, 2007 at 7:12 PM

HAHA!!

Theworldisnotenough on April 30, 2007 at 7:18 PM

I kinda hope he runs.

Actually, I already have the t-shirts ready to sell.

frankj on April 30, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Thompson/Pence ’08

tormod on April 30, 2007 at 7:30 PM

That’s great! Except, the blogosphere isn’t the only group of people who vote. So, at 19 months out, let’s be realistic, and realize that nothing is done – at all.

amerpundit on April 30, 2007 at 7:37 PM

True enough, but the representation among those most able to communicate with the advanced tech Fred is interested in are strongly on his side.

Freelancer on April 30, 2007 at 7:41 PM

amerpundit on April 30, 2007 at 7:37 PM

No but we do represent the base rather well. If we blog types and people that frequent polls on website that represent the base are any indication, it is pretty much over…

Theworldisnotenough on April 30, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Freelancer on April 30, 2007 at 7:41 PM

Most Americans don’t read political blogs. Now, unless we can get the Electoral College to listen to See-Dubya (no offense See-Dubya), to pick our nation’s next leader, I’d propose that we look at all of the issues, and pick the candidate that we have the best chance of the E.C. picking.

amerpundit on April 30, 2007 at 7:46 PM

Come on Fred and the Mrs., pull up a pew, say your prayers, ask for guidance, listen to the folks, fire up the BBQ, pour a stiff julip, take a deep breath, and join in the fight. We know you have it in you, sir, and watch out for the explosion when you do………… and the “stuck pig scramers” from the left as a response. I can’t wait…….

PinkyBigglesworth on April 30, 2007 at 7:46 PM

That’s why those of us that are serious about this have already printed our fliers, business cards and yard signs and are passing them out to anyone that will take them. I even had one of my own cards handed to me (It looked like it had been passed around quite a bit. Taking this beyond an “internet phenomenon” is the key and the part the Dems missed in ’04.

TBinSTL on April 30, 2007 at 7:47 PM

amerpundit on April 30, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Theworldisnotenough on April 30, 2007 at 7:43 PM

So, if we bloggers like a candidate, the general population, and the Electoral College, will? I’m sorry, but I’m not quite arriving at the same conclusion. 2008 will show a major turnout, with the Democrats turning out, in the first election since President Bush. I doubt that this election, will be the same as the ’04. The Republicans, don’t have a slam dunk on this.

If we nominate the most Conservative in the field, Fred, but he doesn’t get the same nod from the E.C., what difference does it make? All I’m saying is, it ain’t over yet. We have to make sure he’s a candidate that doesn’t only talk tough, but can actually get elected.

If we’re sitting here on January 21, 2009, with Clinton as President, what difference does it matter, that we nominated the most Conservative candidate?

amerpundit on April 30, 2007 at 7:51 PM

Fred’s not the most conservative candidate.

see-dubya on April 30, 2007 at 7:55 PM

I’m not making any endorsements here. However, with my vast experience observing the Leftwing DUmmies online, the ONE Republican candidate I notice that they fear above all others is Fred Thompson. Right now they are hoping that he doesn’t run.

pjcomix on April 30, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Fred’s not the most conservative candidate.

see-dubya on April 30, 2007 at 7:55 PM

I agree, but many people I’ve talked to, who’d vote for him, think that he is.

amerpundit on April 30, 2007 at 7:56 PM

WithI had a conversation with a fairly middle-of-the-road democrat the other day who admitted he could be persuaded to vote for Fred.

see-dubya on April 30, 2007 at 7:58 PM

pjcomix on April 30, 2007 at 7:55 PM

He hasn’t become mainstream yet. We know about him, but that doesn’t mean that he’s on the top of the Dem hit list. I do, however, notice that the Dem candidates wouldn’t attack Rudy, and the strongest statement about him came from Obama, whose statement was weak. And he is mainstream throughout both parties.

amerpundit on April 30, 2007 at 7:58 PM

I think it’s going to be a Clinton/Obama ticket for the Dems. Since that’s going to tie up a big chunk of female and black voters, the Republicans will need a very strong ticket. Romney’s probably the most competent of the bunch, but he’s got almost no charisma. Rudy is great on the GWOT, but there are concerns about his conservative bonefides. McCain has similar problems with the Rep base. If he doesn’t get the nod for the top of the ticket, Thompson would be a great running mate for any of them and strengthen the candidacy of any of the other leading Reps who are running.

rokemronnie on April 30, 2007 at 7:59 PM

I kinda hope he runs.

Actually, I already have the t-shirts ready to sell.

I do embroidery so I’ve been toying with some Thompson designs myself. Even checked out some available domain names as well.

Of course if Thompson advocated a sane drug policy I could always do “Another head for Fred”.

rokemronnie on April 30, 2007 at 8:02 PM

see-dubya on April 30, 2007 at 7:58 PM

That’s great, but, as I keep saying, the Electoral College makes the ultimate decision. He can get all the popular votes he wants, but if he gets few electoral votes, he’s done.

amerpundit on April 30, 2007 at 8:02 PM

I think it’s going to be a Clinton/Obama ticket for the Dems.

I agree.

amerpundit on April 30, 2007 at 8:03 PM

Fred! may have trouble if he keeps talking in the pandering drawl the way he does………oh wait, my bad…………that’s sHillary who does that. Maybe she should try it in the deep, sonorous baritone, like Fred! Well, maybe not.

Mallard T. Drake on April 30, 2007 at 8:24 PM

amerpundit on April 30, 2007 at 7:51 PM

My posts do not refer to the general election. I’m talking about primary voting.

Theworldisnotenough on April 30, 2007 at 8:43 PM

Mallard T. Drake on April 30, 2007 at 8:24 PM

Don’t encourage her. LOL.

amerpundit on April 30, 2007 at 8:44 PM

Why does John McCain get so few votes? I fail to understand conservatives’ recent hostility towards him. He’s right on all the issues, he’s a great American hero, he’s experienced…
Nothing against the other main candidates, including Fred!, but I would like to know what you guys think about McCain.

Baphomet on April 30, 2007 at 9:29 PM

Fred trying to harness bloggers’ enthusiasm

Okay, this is totally unrelated, but for whatever popped in to my head as soon as I read the post title:

Although this was sampled from a script of dialog, and turned in to one paragraph, someone should still get the reference… First one that does wins…. my respect?

Well it’s a story about love, deception, greed, lust and…unbridled enthusiasm. Well , that’s what led to Billy Mumphrey’s downfall. Billy was a simple country boy. You might say a cockeyed optimist, who got himself mixed up in the high stakes game of world diplomacy and international intrigue.

RightWinged on April 30, 2007 at 9:29 PM

RightWinged on April 30, 2007 at 9:29 PM

Jimmy Carter? LOL

sonnyspats1 on April 30, 2007 at 9:53 PM

RightWinged on April 30, 2007 at 9:29 PM

Seinfeld

Keljeck on April 30, 2007 at 10:02 PM

Fred’s not the most conservative candidate.

see-dubya on April 30, 2007 at 7:55 PM

It’s all relative, CW. Name the conservative, if it’s not Fred!.

Jaibones on April 30, 2007 at 10:21 PM

McCain is not right on all the issues. His campaign reform is one problem. Also, I think a lot of peopple see McCain, and feel that he is running because he thinks it is his turn to be president. Nearly all the people running seem to have that same “I am entitled to be President, its MY turn” attitude. Most candidates seem too phony. They will say anything to be president, they will push the envelope, but when they feel any resistance they backtrack and start tossing in qualifiers.
Fred seems to be a breath of fresh air. He is a man that speaks his mind, his statements feel honest.Another point going for him is that he is NOT the most conservative of candidates. He is more “old school” conservativism. That will help draw the independants and the undecideds to his camp. Rememeber, only a fraction of America is Left and Right. The rest of us are in the middle.

Wyrd on April 30, 2007 at 10:22 PM

amerpundit, we can always count on you to try to spoil our FRED! fun.
Geez, chill already and let us enjoy the possibilities. It won’t kill you to let one friggin’ thread pass without your Fred!seminegative commentary.
Your poo-poo’ing is just as frustrating to us supporters, as our FRED! excitement is to you.

Love you, mean it! But let us enjoy the discussions already.

tickleddragon on April 30, 2007 at 10:33 PM

Respect to ameripundit, but he’s(?) already made his choice for Rudy, just like a large percentage of us already have for Fred! and the polling data doesn’t look good for any of the other hopefuls right now. We’re a long way out still. We’ve all got just our one vote.

Personally, I think Fred!’s got a Reaganesque appeal that will swing many Sane Democrats (and there are more than you might think out there). And as close as things are most likely to be in the next Presidental elections, a little bit is all you need to win.

techno_barbarian on April 30, 2007 at 11:02 PM

Fred! will be on Hannity and Colmes, tomorrow, May 01, 2007.

Entelechy on April 30, 2007 at 11:26 PM

Not taking away any of Keljeck’s “respect” – here is a link.

Entelechy on April 30, 2007 at 11:30 PM

Who is the most powerful person on the internet?

Entelechy on April 30, 2007 at 11:33 PM

Entelechy, do they mean Tom from Myspace? IF that’s who they’re talking about then yeah, I agree.

tickleddragon on April 30, 2007 at 11:36 PM

tickleddragon, I have no idea – don’t know that Tom – I posted the question more or less for RightWinged to chew on, having found the Seinfeld links…

It’s a good question, though – who’s the biggest and who’d benefit Fred?

Thanks for talking to amerpundit. If Fred wins, I don’t know what we’ll do with our friend :)

Entelechy on May 1, 2007 at 12:07 AM

Well, I’d guess that it’s Tom from MySpace, seeing as MySpace is the BIGGEST thing out there. Tom is the guy that’s everybody’s “Friend”. I assume he’s either the guy that started it and runs it…or just runs it.

As to amerpundit…I hope he’ll be as happy as we are if it happens to be FRED! If not…we love’im anyway.

tickleddragon on May 1, 2007 at 12:32 AM

I meant we love amerpundit anyway… ;)

tickleddragon on May 1, 2007 at 12:33 AM

We sure do :) Either amerpundit will have to live with Hillary, or Barack, or with Fred…

Entelechy on May 1, 2007 at 1:05 AM

Seinfeld

Keljeck on April 30, 2007 at 10:02 PM

Excellent work.

RightWinged on May 1, 2007 at 2:31 AM

Fred! has an Intrade political futures contract for the GOP nomination:

I wonder if they’ll make a futures contract to predict the next time Hillary apes a Southern accent in front of a black audience…

Dave Shay on May 1, 2007 at 9:53 AM