Audio: Richard Perle disputes George Tenet’s 9-12 conversation claim

posted at 8:19 pm on April 30, 2007 by Bryan

Michelle just finished interviewing David Frum about George Tenet’s claim to have had a conversation with Richard Perle on 9-12-01, in which Perle said that Iraq had to pay for 9-11. That claim is on the first page of the preface to Tenet’s new book, At the Center of the Storm. Perle appeared on John Gibson’s radio show this afternoon and disputed Tenet’s claim. Click to play.

Comments

I don’t know, But I think if I were smart enough to run the CIA for nearly 10 years, for two Presidents, that I would be smart enough to NOT write a major lie in my book and spread it all over the media when it is so easily disproven.

LegendHasIt on April 30, 2007 at 8:23 PM

And why did no one, not his publisher, not his editor, not CBS, check the very first “fact” in his book? A simple phone call is all it would ave taken. It shows how completely corrupt the media in this country has become.

TheBigOldDog on April 30, 2007 at 8:32 PM

“But I think if I were smart enough to run the CIA”

I don’t think there is a written test before taking the position.

crosspatch on April 30, 2007 at 8:35 PM

It won;t matter one iota to the nutroots and their ilk, they are too invested in the “Bush Lied” theme that all other facts pale.

bbz123 on April 30, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Can he honestly say that the WMD so-called mistake was solely the result of the CIA? I thought I read that the international communities’ intelligence agencies shared that opinion.

I did appreciate him saying that “at the time” having Iraq on the table for possible targeting was appropriate. We, at least I had, forgotten all those years after the first Gulf War when Iraq had been the major area of conflict in the region.

jatfla on April 30, 2007 at 9:02 PM

Just one more piece in the “Do ANYTHING to destroy President Bush” game plan. Just wait until the next edition of your children’s elementary history books, let alone highschool and college…… This crap has to be slapped down immediately and never given a chance to grow roots.

Thank God for the alternative media……..

PinkyBigglesworth on April 30, 2007 at 9:02 PM

There’s something really wrong with Washington. State Department has people out at foreign duty posts who sit around and get some local hire to translate the newspapers for them. No people skills, no getting out and making contacts. Thought it was State being lazy and hiring any old suburban type, who’s far more comfortable and competent analysing the sales at Tysons Corner Mall, but have met a number of the same kind of people at other government agencies similar to the CIA. Kinda scary, our information gathering is in the hands of dullards, but thought it couldn’t really be that bad, until Valerie Plame presented herself as the Beltway Mata Hari and the CIA didn’t let out even a stifled squeal of protest or shame.
It’s terrible that Bush naively assumed that people like Tenant would indeed have the country’s best interest at heart, not their loyalty to their Alpha Male at the Democrat Pary. It’s terrible because they should have put the country first, but didn’t; and it’s terrible that Bush didn’t demand all the Clinton people’s resignation letters, because they just used their positions to gnaw away at his administration like a bunch of termites.

naliaka on April 30, 2007 at 9:10 PM

LegendHasIt on April 30, 2007 at 8:23 PM

Are you kidding me? How many lies have the Dems gotten away with in the past few years? Do they ever get held accountable when they call Bush a liar on WMDs when they spent 13 years making a stronger WMD case? How about the spin on Plame? How about burying the Sandy Berger story? How about the spin on “warrantless wiretapping”? How about hiding the booming economy? How about the Kitty Kelley’s lies being believed to the point they’re now what is considered common knowledge, despite being lies!? How about the lies that Saddam didn’t have contact with Al Qaeda? How about every book that has come out to make money by attacking the administration and playing a game of CYA, while each offering it’s own version painting the author as a victim? etc. etc.

Do you think the headlines tomorrow will read “Richard Perle says Tenet is lying!”, or will they continue to say “CIA Chief Claims Bush Determined to go to war, ignored intelligence”? Give me a break… He’s “smart enough” alright… Smart enough to know you can lie and not be held accountable, so long as it hurts President Bush and/or the GOP and/or the Iraq war.

RightWinged on April 30, 2007 at 9:44 PM

RightWinged on April 30, 2007 at 9:44 PM

Well, Of course you are right in general, but usually their most successful lies are subject to spin and sound bites taken out of context. That one about Perle is just too blatant and the best spin they can put on it is ‘Well, maybe it happened later’.

The MSM is going to have a harder time spining their way out of that one. Sure, most of them will just ignore it, but I think it is still going to become a meme.

LegendHasIt on April 30, 2007 at 10:39 PM

LegendHasIt on April 30, 2007 at 10:39 PM

Yeah, I honestly just think they’ll completely ignore it. As always, the damage is done (the damage being this weeks media firestorm), and now they’ll just ignore the fact that Tenet was lying, and wait until the next bogus “scandal” arises.

RightWinged on April 30, 2007 at 11:18 PM

Just a quick recommendation, I’ve sent this information (also seen here) out in an email. Blogging is making an impact, but the MSM still dominates because the vast majority of people still don’t read blogs… But getting email passed around on this I think can have an impact, and potentially force the MSM to pay attention to something they’re going to try to ignore.. The point that on page one of Tenet’s fricken’ book, is a COMPLETE LIE! And this isn’t one of those memory issues over some unimportant conversation like in the Scooter Libby NON-scandal. Perle was in France until 9/15, and the bogus quote Tenet came up with had Perle on 9/12 referencing what happened “yesterday”. This total lie invalidates Tenet’s entire book because it’s central to the book’s claim that the administration was determined to go to war in Iraq, which is why he stuck it on the first page of the book.

I’d encourage folks to send an email to your friends to get word out. This is no small thing. We’ve just had a week of Bush bashing over this lie of a book, and the MSM isn’t going to educate our liberal friends and shut them up. There will be more bogus scandals to chip away at the president, but this is one of those “big” ones where they get a big name like the former head of the CIA to put their name on it to lend it some sort of credibility. It needs to be known that from page one he’s an f-ing liar.

RightWinged on May 1, 2007 at 3:37 AM