Fred on reforming the draft

posted at 2:26 am on April 29, 2007 by see-dubya

Doing commentary on Paul Harvey, blogging at Redstate, and now writing for Pajamas Media on the NFL draft from a socially conservative perspective…

As Ray Stevens said of Santy Claus, “He’s everywhere! He’s everywhere!”

He’ll also be guest-posting at Junkyard Blog while I’m filling in for Allah this week.*

In other news on Fred and social conservatives, Southern Baptist Convention nuncio (ha!) Richard Land finds the possibility of his candidacy “tantalizing“.

*Assuming he offers, and I accept, or I offer and he accepts, neither of which has happened yet. But with his thorough rightospheric saturation, it’s only a matter of time, right?

While you’re waiting, follow that “tantalizing” link no matter which candidate you lean toward–it’s an interesting interview with a Christian Conservative besides the ones the media usually singles out to speak for The Religious Right.

Comments

Take some initiative and get him to be on a Vent interview. As someone with no authority here, I demand it!

- The Cat

P.S. Fred!

MirCat on April 29, 2007 at 2:50 AM

I second that emotion. You know he’ll do it.

Buzzy on April 29, 2007 at 4:00 AM

I’m with The Cat and Buzzy, See-Dubya, send Michelle our petition. Interview Fred Thompson on the Vent. I can think of no one better to ask the questions than Michelle. What a great belated birthday gift (for Hot Air) that would be. And, we the people, would benefit from honest questions being asked with the expectation of honest answers being given with no artificial time constraints. Great idea Cat.

Zorro on April 29, 2007 at 6:53 AM

Let’s see. Michelle asks current, topical questions of substance and true import. Fred! answers straight up, thoroughly and thoughtfully, without depending upon consultants, stacks of note-cards, or pre-emptive spin.

“You want answers?”
“I think I’m entitled.”
“You want answer?”
“I WANT THE TRUTH!”

Can we handle that much truth?

Go Fred!

Freelancer on April 29, 2007 at 8:53 AM

Fred! may be the one that actually uses all of the new media correctly and to his advantage. Anyone know who is on his advisory panel?

bbz123 on April 29, 2007 at 9:03 AM

fred knows his base. he is really trying to reach the bloggers isnt he?

lorien1973 on April 29, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Speculation is that Fred is going to announce very soon.This week he’s appearing on Jay Leno and speaking at a gathering of the Orange County Republicans. On May 12th he’s the dinner speaker at the CNP meeting.He has a huge grassroots following online. I’d love to see him debating Hillary or any of the other socialist democrats.And I think Rudy ‘I don’t care if you like my stand on abortion or civil unions’ Guiliani will find himself in second place in the GOP rankings very soon.

DCJeff on April 29, 2007 at 10:02 AM

Run Fred!, Run!!!
Pretty Please……

mrfixit on April 29, 2007 at 10:13 AM

WE NEED FRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DCJeff on April 29, 2007 at 10:27 AM

I hate to sound like a broken record (Ya’ll remember those, records I mean?)

BUT:

FRED / ROMNEY 2008!

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on April 29, 2007 at 10:39 AM

If Fred! runs, and picks Michael Steele as his running mate, IMHO, that will stand well against a [presumed] Hillary!/Obamassiah pairing.

If that match up becomes true, watch the nutroots unleash the most vile racist comments against Steele. I predict he will be labeled an “Uncle Tom” within the first five seconds of his announcement.

Isn’t it great, how Progressive-ly racist some of those guys get? Brown Sugar*, anyone?

* recalling the slurs against Condi

Wanderlust on April 29, 2007 at 10:47 AM

Get a Venterview of Fred!

Now that will be “Must see” TV.

opusrex on April 29, 2007 at 11:19 AM

The word is ‘dextrospheric’. The beauty of this construction is using the Latin for ‘right’ implies that the other side is the ‘sinistrosphere’ or something close.

The Monster on April 29, 2007 at 12:53 PM

Yes, get Fred! on Vent. I am for that.

CrimsonFisted on April 29, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Fred! is correct regarding the value of character in the locker room. The Seahawks have made it a point to draft or sign players with quality backgrounds in addition to their football talent. They released Jeramy Stevens this off-season after he was arrested for a DUI. Stevens had been in trouble with the law while in college and may have still been on parole. His inconsistency on the field contributed to the decision to release him, but I am betting the DUI was a big factor.

Bottom line, teams can win with players who have quality characters, as the Seahawks have demonstrated.

Fred! completes another one………

Mallard T. Drake on April 29, 2007 at 1:19 PM

bbz123 on April 29, 2007 at 9:03 AM

“Mainstream political pundits don’t know what to make of it all just yet. They don’t even know how to deal with a candidate who is not on any handlers’ leash, not carrying any committee cue cards and not making any apologies for his gentle home-spun but traditionally firm conservative position on any issues … “

G. Mason on April 29, 2007 at 1:32 PM

Ooops … I’ll try again

G. Mason on April 29, 2007 at 1:34 PM

Three strikes & I’m out!

C&P?

G. Mason on April 29, 2007 at 1:35 PM

But will he fill us with audacious hope?

Halley on April 29, 2007 at 1:45 PM

Fred!

bofh on April 29, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Yes, get Fred on the Vent. Otherwise, we’ll be forced to initiate articles of impeachment….

wryteacher on April 29, 2007 at 2:33 PM

see-dubya, you have a typo in the headline. It should read, “Fred! on reforming the draft”

- The Cat

MirCat on April 29, 2007 at 2:55 PM

THOMPSON’S NON-CAMPAIGN

Fred Thompson’s unannounced candidacy for the Republican presidential nomination will go to Stamford, Conn., May 24 for the Connecticut GOP’s annual Prescott Bush dinner.

“We’re obviously excited out of our minds about it,” the party’s state chairman, Robert M. Duncan, told this column. He was delighted that Connecticut had gotten the popular actor-politician ahead of Virginia’s June 2 party fundraiser.

A footnote: Without announcing his candidacy, Thompson has won straw polls at the Oklahoma Republican convention, the Pennsylvania Leadership Conference, the California Republican Assembly and Georgia’s 9th Congressional District party convention.

What a sweet Tennessee waltz it would be, between Gore and Thompson, with Fred! stealing “the loved one” from Albert. What a steal that would be…and the rest of the world w/b weeping for years to come, again.

Entelechy on April 29, 2007 at 4:36 PM

MirCat: I wouldn’t want anyone to think I was biased.

see-dubya on April 29, 2007 at 4:52 PM

Well, if Fred is going to run he’d better announce quickly. The primaries and caucuses come right after the new year and he has to have a commitee in EVERY county in the U.S. thoroughly engaged by then. No mean feat. Somebody light a fire under his butt okay.

Mojave Mark on April 29, 2007 at 5:16 PM

This has nothing to do with this post, but Michelle Malkin or Bryan Preston for White House Press Secretary 2008.

Black Adam on April 29, 2007 at 6:04 PM

Fred doesn’t take a dump without a plan, people.

Why spend the money, you don’t even know who your running against, and everyone else is steppin’ in it.

I think he is as smooth as a NASCAR veteran, letting the rookies lead early, then run out of gas, get tangled in the pits, or just crash.

Tonight, I hope he is enjoying time with friends and family, especially the Mrs., over some Sour Mash BBQ, talking about what is going on in the world.

When he does announce, I believe, it will blow all the political correct bovine fecal matter out of the water, and Americans from all sides will say, “YES”….

PinkyBigglesworth on April 29, 2007 at 9:19 PM

PinkyBigglesworth on April 29, 2007 at 9:19 PM

Very true. He just can’t wait too long or else all the pit crews (big donors) will have given up all their gas.

- The Cat

MirCat on April 30, 2007 at 12:31 AM

- The Cat

MirCat on April 30, 2007 at 12:31 AM

Valid point, no doubt. But I’m betting that smaller grassroots supporters are going to flood his coffers with $10s, $20s, $50s, and $100s… maybe a few $1000s.

Volume will out-perform the contributions from ‘big donors’, I believe. And there is no more honest ‘vote’ than cold hard un-coerced cash from the people themselves.

I will definitely be sending my meager dollars to the Fred!erator. Most likely repeatedly.

techno_barbarian on April 30, 2007 at 10:38 AM

Thompson/Pence ’08

tormod on April 30, 2007 at 10:53 AM

If Michelle interviews Fred!, maybe he’ll announce his candidacy on Vent! / HotAir.

That would be fantastic for both sides:

Fred! is seen as hip and modern by announcing on a vBlog

and

HotAir gets the scoop and bragging rights in the Blogosphere.

Whatdya think folks?