Fire can…melt steel…and you can Google why…

posted at 2:03 pm on April 29, 2007 by Bryan

lets start here
ok…go slow
remember to breathe
use google

Or, you know, just read the following.

This story will absolutely rock your world. It suggests that Rosie O’Donnell, noted pundit, comedienne and physicist, may be wrong about that whole fire-can’t-melt-steel thing, which in turn means that she just might be wrong about the collapse of WTC 7 on 9-11. There’s video at the link.

freeway collapse

The upper deck of Interstate Highway 580 at Interstate Highway 80, located near Emeryville, collapsed Sunday morning after an explosion and fire.

Heat from the tanker explosion on the westbound 580 melted the upper roadway of the MacArthur Maze. The fire was intense enough to cause the tanker truck to basically melt away, according to crews on the scene.

The Rotund Oracle, wrong? Who’dathunkit?

(h/t Clayton)

Update: Ah, it was a controlled demolition, only using a tanker truck instead of airplanes. I get it now. The governator must be one of them.

Bushreich is going to have to do better. We’re all on to them now.

Comments

Fire can melt steel but you cant make a moonbat think with logic.

William Amos on April 29, 2007 at 2:06 PM

Fire can melt steel but you cant make a moonbat think with logic.

William Amos

Fire melting steel is a physical matter of fact as proscribed by nature, moonbats logical thinking isn’t a plausible thought

Defector01 on April 29, 2007 at 2:10 PM

I think you’ve got it backwards, Bryan. The fact that another fire-melting-steel miracle has occurred doesn’t mean Rosie was wrong about WTC7. It means there’s more to 4/29 than meets the eye, if we’re only courageous enough to question the official explanation.

flip on April 29, 2007 at 2:11 PM

Oops, pasted the wrong link. 4/29 Truth available here.

flip on April 29, 2007 at 2:12 PM

Wacko blame-this-on-Bush theories commencing in 4…3…2…

infidel4life on April 29, 2007 at 2:13 PM

Whatever! Who are you going to believe Rosie and this incontrovertable scientific evidence: http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=125×56836

or your lying eyes?

That Highway was a controlled demolition.

Dash on April 29, 2007 at 2:16 PM

Bleh, cut n paste the link above.

Dash on April 29, 2007 at 2:19 PM

so did anyone die?

Opinionnation on April 29, 2007 at 2:26 PM

Opinionnation on April 29, 2007 at 2:26 PM

No. The driver was burned, but is in stable condition.

flip on April 29, 2007 at 2:28 PM

I call plagiarism! I called this one at 10:30 this morning on the KFC thread.

still, funny. So very, very funny… :)

Grown men will cry, children will question their faith in Gaia, heads will explode.

It’ll be like Christmas, the 4th of July and Halloween all rolled into one glorious sunny day in April.

moflicky on April 29, 2007 at 2:42 PM

Thermal Layering can cause heat up to and including 1400 degrees in a simple housefire.

Steel melts at 1500 degrees.

Uhhh.. the fire might not be that hot, but heat rises, and chemicals convect.

Of course, I am an idiot…

Ringmaster on April 29, 2007 at 2:42 PM

No. The driver was burned, but is in stable condition.

flip on April 29, 2007 at 2:28 PM

Thanks, flip

Opinionnation on April 29, 2007 at 2:43 PM

I should add that 1500 is the melting point, and integrity is compromised at lesser temps, to avoid provoking a troll.

I love trolls. /huggles

Ringmaster on April 29, 2007 at 2:47 PM

Jeeze what can you guys be thinking…Since we all know that exposing liberals to too many valid scientific facts makes their heads explode I can only come to the conclusion that you guys have got a mean streak at least a country mile wide……..

Rock on………….

doriangrey on April 29, 2007 at 2:48 PM

The second time in history!

WisCon on April 29, 2007 at 2:51 PM

Well if fire can melt steel what the heck am I doing wrong? Been trying to light a fire under my wife for years to no effect.

Limerick on April 29, 2007 at 2:56 PM

The thing that has always amazed me is this. Every firefighter (I was one for 12 years before blowing my knee out) in the world knows that steel warps at 800 degrees and fails catastrophically at 1200. Considering the max burn temp of jet fuels is in the 1500 degree range or so….

And if the WTC buildings were the first time fire melted steel, then I want Rosie to please explain to me the several times my narrow butt bailed out of STEEL FRAME warehouses because they were melting.

But that obviously means nothing, and this is yet another instance of an evil plot to cover something up. I bet there was a truck with Enron files traveling under that overpass.

Don, standing in for Cookey

CookeyD on April 29, 2007 at 2:56 PM

rove you magnificent bastard

lorien1973 on April 29, 2007 at 3:02 PM

You see Bush needed a story to put Rosie down a notch. So he had this bridge blown up then blames it on a little tanker truck fire that all the best engineers in the world know is impossible
/sarcasm off

Gwillie on April 29, 2007 at 3:15 PM

This is one of those things that drives me crazy, the accident could not have happened in a worse place other than a bridge itself, it is going to make trafiic a nightmare here for months, the driver walks away and takes a cab. I am waiting to see more before I accept it as chance.

bbz123 on April 29, 2007 at 3:15 PM

I was going to send this in as a tip… being an architect this immediately came to mind… but I thought no… they’ve made up their minds and no amount of reality will convince them…

thanks for posting this… fire can easily melt steel… say it with me nutroots… fire can easily melt steel…

Kaptain Amerika on April 29, 2007 at 3:41 PM

Photoshopper. We all know fire can not melt steel. Does anyone know how is steel made?

Wade on April 29, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Wade on April 29, 2007 at 3:42 PM

By dwarves with magic hammers, duh!

- The Cat

MirCat on April 29, 2007 at 3:52 PM

being an architect this immediately came to mind

I always wanted to pretend to be an architect.

Bryan on April 29, 2007 at 3:59 PM

How steel is made - google it Rosie

Speaking of ‘hot’ – Rosie a hot commodity? Or insanely ignorant hot audiences?

Entelechy on April 29, 2007 at 4:05 PM

I always wanted to pretend to be an architect.

Bryan on April 29, 2007 at 3:59 PM

The George Costanza effect.

infidel4life on April 29, 2007 at 4:06 PM

I have it on good authority that on Sunday Jews were told to avoid Interstate Highway 580 at Interstate Highway 80.

(Someone had to say it.)

Niko on April 29, 2007 at 4:08 PM

Exactly, Niko–Sunday Morning when only Christians were on their way to church!

Oh, wait, this is the Bay Area.

see-dubya on April 29, 2007 at 4:12 PM

BTW the conspiracy theory parody isn’t far off at all. I’ve already had some mudflap spamming the JYB with a theory that 9-11 was a CIA black op. Links to Alex Jones and everything.

see-dubya on April 29, 2007 at 4:16 PM

The fact that no Jews were driving on the ramp proves that they knew in advance that this explosion was going to happen. And since we all know that fire can’t melt steel, the ramp probably had explosives wired underneath. And how in the world can a man (the driver) survive the very same fire that caused steel and cement to collapse?

Joshua P. Allem on April 29, 2007 at 4:18 PM

OK, so we know fire can melt steel. Big deal. But can it make balloon animals? Huh, can it!! I think not! Damn you CIA black ops!!!

robblefarian on April 29, 2007 at 4:31 PM

Any liberal who actually read the article sited is having to deal with some serious cognitive dissonance right now. “Out,out damned facts.”

Mojave Mark on April 29, 2007 at 5:11 PM

NO! It can’t be!

Up is down!

Dogs are cats!

Nothing tastes like chicken!

NOTHING MAKES SENSE ANYMORE!!!

fusionaddict on April 29, 2007 at 5:21 PM

I’m sure the DUmmies, Hufftards, and Kos Kids will figure out a way to debunk this ;)

William Teach on April 29, 2007 at 5:22 PM

wait…are the counselor’s standing by. Please, tell me how everybody is feeling

ritemama on April 29, 2007 at 5:41 PM

Well what’s really annoying is that it doesn’t matter anyway… Relatively low temperatures can weaken steel significantly enough to cause the collapse. This is just sort of icing in the cake, but not necessary for debunking Trutherism.

RightWinged on April 29, 2007 at 5:42 PM

they’ve made up their minds and no amount of reality will convince them

But aren’t they the Reality-Based Community™?

The Monster on April 29, 2007 at 5:43 PM

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize that, yes, in fact, fire can melt steel. Thank you, Entelechy, for linking how steel is created. It uses, among other things, intense heat. What intense heat creates, it would seem quite logical that it could destroy just as easily. Duh!

We all know, of course, that Rosie is no rocket scientist.

flutejpl on April 29, 2007 at 6:07 PM

Just to clarify Ringmaster’s point, steel melts at around 1500C(actually that’s iron, steel around 1370C) in Europe, while in the US it melts at around 2500F (2750F for iron).

The majority of the tanker is probably aluminum, melting point around 1220F (660C), which is why it was described as melting away. The bridge superstructure, again, like the WTC including Bldg 7, lost most of its ability to support the structure dead load and gave way but did not melt.

But I’ll buy the first hand, at the scene, spur of the moment, extremely carefully worded decription of what happened by eye witnesses, just like the Truthers do when they argue that so and so said so and he/she was there.

Exit question: How can a Truther tell if they are using instant grits if their physics is different from everyone else’s?

Dusty on April 29, 2007 at 6:44 PM

2 Rosie posts today!? Or did I not get the point of the KFC post?

RightWinged on April 29, 2007 at 7:01 PM

Note to self: Do not go that way when driving to son’s graduation in Berkeley next month.

Bob's Kid on April 29, 2007 at 7:03 PM

Damn right. I’ve known it for a long time. About 20 years ago, I saw the blacksmith on Gunsmoke put a horseshoe into a fire so he could bend it easier.

Maybe I should send Rosie a DVD of that episode.

BacaDog on April 29, 2007 at 7:14 PM

So you say. I plan to prove differently, using an old rabbit cage, a length of Hot Wheels track and some sterno.

Splunge on April 29, 2007 at 7:22 PM

Splunge on April 29, 2007 at 7:22 PM

We eagerly await your results, Splurge. Be careful.

BacaDog on April 29, 2007 at 7:44 PM

LMAO. Don’t forget the matches. I have it on good authority that their project languished without success for months until someone thought of using a match to start the fire.

Dusty on April 29, 2007 at 7:47 PM

When I saw this story on Fox I instantly thought about Tokyo-Rosie and her moronic statement on the View on how for the fist time in history fire melted steel…it really brightened my day knowing there is some Karmic justice in the world, but alas my glee was short lived as many have pointed out here the moonbats will develop their own special form of physics and metallurgy science that flies in the face of legitimate science in order to somehow disprove that this tanker fire caused this freeway to collapes!

But what’s worse is I came to the realization that now everytime I hear any story related to steel being melted by fire I will see that fat, ugly, ignorant face in my mind….aaaarrrrggghhh….the seering pain is too much…I think I’m going to need some serious counseling for PTSD….AAAARRRGGGHHHH…NOOOOOOO…I DON’T WANT TO LIVE…MOMMA!!!

Liberty or Death on April 29, 2007 at 8:01 PM

Rosie doesn’t have the IQ to see the truth when it is hanging upside down in front of her….

I am just wondering about all the sheeple that actually took what she said as “Gosple”, and clapped at every idiotic thing she said.

Maybe, just maybe, it will be the catalyst that will start the domino effect to unlock the series of propoganda lies to reveal the truth……. Great Ceasars Ghost, What Have We Done????

PinkyBigglesworth on April 29, 2007 at 8:21 PM

Speaking of ‘hot’ – Rosie a hot commodity? Or insanely ignorant hot audiences?

Entelechy on April 29, 2007 at 4:05 PM

(sarcasm) I went to the link Entelechy posted above, Entelechy I really wish you would have placed a warning with your posting that there would be a picture of Rosie at the link!

As I stated on my previous post I’m in a bit of a fragile state right now and am worried about my mental well being…having Tokyo-Rosie’s image popping into my mind whenever anyone mentions fire…melting….or steel, then clicking on that link just to see that…that face…to see a picture of Tokyo-Rosie is not helping with my therapy at all…are you trying to push me over the edge Entelechy? (end of sarcasm)

Also, as for the article and what jobs may be in Tokyo-Rosie’s future, I don’t think she has to worry too much about landing another job, if she doesn’t get another hosting gig I’m certain she can always get a job as a structural/fire sciences/metallurgy engineer based on her vast knowledge gleened from reading “truther” moonbat drivel and her stint hosting the View!

Gotta go now, time for another Tokyo-Rosie exorcism session…..

Liberty or Death on April 29, 2007 at 8:53 PM

Rosie says fire can’t melt steel?

STEEL IS MADE BY SMELTING… AKA: MELTING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know, you melt it, and pour it into a mold to make your whatever.

That’s how the casting of steel works.

Or you take big steel ingots, melt them down, and extrude steel beams.

wow. Somebody needs to watch Modern Marvels on the History Channel.

Jones Zemkophill on April 29, 2007 at 9:30 PM

The governator must be one of them.

Actually, if we’re talking about THE governator, he was probably DRIVING the tanker truck, trying to kill John Connor. Were there any kids with stupid hair on dirt bikes in the vicinity of the fire? Anyone identifying himself as ‘Reese, Sgt. Tech-com’ arrested? We could be talking about the future here guys…JUDGEMENT DAY. (cue music)

austinnelly on April 29, 2007 at 9:42 PM

Ro’s response:

Patricia writes:

Did you hear the news about the fiery car wreck in San Fran today?STEEL was MELTED by the intensity of that fire; please rethink the delusional theory of WTC7….

free fall speed
pulverized concrete
into its own foot print

stay asleep if u want

What a total nut job.

TheBigOldDog on April 29, 2007 at 10:41 PM

IIRC by sheer coincidence,that scene was filmed on Interstate 880 about 40 miles south in the Fremont-Milpitas aarea.

aunursa on April 29, 2007 at 11:24 PM

I live near one of the country’s busiest steel plants near Baltimore. If fire doesn’t melt steel, well… what does the word MELT mean? and what are those bright ovens doing across the way from me?

As I type this a repot is running right now on FNC about 200 foot flames MELTING the bridge! uhg…

johnnyU on April 29, 2007 at 11:36 PM

Ro’s response:

Patricia writes:

free fall speed
pulverized concrete
into its own foot print

stay asleep if u want
What a total nut job.

TheBigOldDog on April 29, 2007 at 10:41 PM

BigOldDog, was that an actual post and response? If so do you have a link to that…I gotta see it for myself and e-mail it to everyone I know!

Tokyo-Rosie…what a FRUITCAKE!!! She needs some serious help!

Liberty or Death on April 29, 2007 at 11:45 PM

aunursa on April 29, 2007 at 11:24 PM

I used to live in the People’s Republic of California in the East Bay, I’ve traveled on that freeway so many times I can’t count. I currently live in Arizona but the company I work for is based in Oakland, about 12 miles south of where this occurred. When I lived there I commutted on the 880 (commonly known as the Nimitz Freeway) to get to my job in Hayward (just north of Fremont). The Nimitz is a really crappy stretch of freeway with lots of big-rigs and crappy drivers, in fact it was so bad that many cars had bumper stickers that read, “Pray for me, I drive the Nimits!”

Liberty or Death on April 29, 2007 at 11:53 PM

Ro’s response:

Patricia writes:

free fall speed
pulverized concrete
into its own foot print

stay asleep if u want

If Patricia in the blog to Tokyo-Rosie is “asleep” (according to Rosie) and Tokyo-Rosie is the one who’s awake…doesn’t that make Tokyo-Rosie the delusional one…?

Liberty or Death on April 30, 2007 at 12:09 AM

I’m a Cali refugee…That’s the MacArthur Maze, I used to commute that daily when I worked in the city.

I had that bumper sticker.. and remember the traffic reports? “And it’s free parking on the Nimitz”

I do not miss that at all :)

Can you imagine what traffic is going to be like for the next few months? That’s where four major interstates converge onto the Bay Bridge.

And the building “blown up” in Terminator 2 was on Warm Springs Blvd in Fremont, about 5 blocks from where I lived at the time.

By the way, the MacArthur Maze? Just a few miles from where the Cypress used to be. The Cypress collapsed during the Loma Prieta quake of 89.

Remind me to stay off Bay Area freeways next time I’m out there visiting…

Tink on April 30, 2007 at 12:25 AM

Here’s something for that tubby lesbian vampire bat to Google…”cantilevered construction”.

fusionaddict on April 30, 2007 at 12:40 AM

Rosie couldn’t be reached for comment.

Highrise on April 30, 2007 at 3:42 AM

I bet someone has already taken I80Truth.org

Mr. Bingley on April 30, 2007 at 7:31 AM

51-year-old Mosqueda managed to pull himself from the rolled-over wreckage before the inferno burned so hot that within an hour steel girders beneath one freeway overpass melted like a marshmallow, collapsing the roadway onto the lower freeway deck.

This fire melts steel like marshmallows within an hour – got that Rosie?

heroyalwhyness on April 30, 2007 at 9:38 AM

The tanker burned for almost three hours and released about the same energy as the split-second detonation of 200 tons of TNT, equal to a very low-yield atomic bomb, a homeland security expert said.

Any questions, Rosie?

heroyalwhyness on April 30, 2007 at 9:42 AM

Can’t believe you guys aren’t making the connection between the location of this ‘accident’ and the proximity to Bohemian Grove.

It all makes too much sense.

Readymade on April 30, 2007 at 10:21 AM

London Bridge
London Bridge is melting down,
Melting down, melting down.
London Bridge is melting down,
My fat lady.
Build it up with iron bars,
Iron bars, iron bars, Build it up with iron bars, My fat lady. But when heated.
Iron bars will bend and break,
Bend and break, bend and break,
Iron bars will bend and break,
My fat lady.

There’s some real poetry for your stupid blog Rosie!!!

soulsirkus on April 30, 2007 at 10:59 AM

Limerick on April 29, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Ha ha, Lim! The secret is simple. Tender tiny circles over an extended period of time.

//nuff said ;)

techno_barbarian on April 30, 2007 at 11:13 AM

It’s funny that we have to spend so much time putting fireproofing on our steel beams, since they’re invulnerable to fire.

The fireman above got it right. The material properties of steel are highly variable and temperature dependant. It doesn’t take much softening before a structure can no longer hold its own weight for a given span. Melting is quite likely the wrong term, in the literal sense of turning to liquid. And the bridge would have been on the ground a long, long time before that happened.

And i have complete moral authority on this one, since I’m a structural engineer.

TexasDan on April 30, 2007 at 1:57 PM

Liberty or Death on April 30, 2007 at 12:09 AM

It’s real. Read it for yourself. The woman is a nutjob.

Look at one of her latest:

Amy writes:

take a physics class.
Some of us chicks are capable of understanding melting points, weakening steel and collapses causing concrete to turn to dust.
You make us shudder and you encourage chauvenists

Ro responds:
and u need to wake up

TheBigOldDog on April 30, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Although I was small when McCormick Place in Chicago burned during a consumer products show, I remember the reports that the building collapsed faster because the beams were steel than they would have if they had been made of wood. It was the first thing that came to mind when Rosie made her moronic pronouncement.

You don’t have to be right, you just have to deliver your drivel with conviction and the sheeple applaud.

Frightening.