Coming soon to PBuhS and your Local Cable Company: Wahhabi Propaganda

posted at 10:42 pm on April 29, 2007 by see-dubya

Bloggers are picking up on an odd trend–Wahabi-tinged Islamic programming on the airwaves. Or in one case, on cable.

>>>LGF has the most egregious example: The Burlington, Vermont cable company decides, hey, we’ll throw Al Jazeera into your cable package. Because, as Burlington Telecom’s director explains, “I think it’s more mainstream and more objective than CNN”.

Heh.

Burlington Telecom is a private business, and they can carry Al-Jazeera if they feel like it. But it says a lot about Burlington that they think there’s an audience for it.

>>>Minnesota-based Penraker–an overlooked treasure of a blog–notes another example on his Minnepolis PBS affiliate. As a part of the latest political push to have foot-washing equipment and bidets installed in Minnesota’s public restrooms, the host of a PBS Muslim public affairs show has penned an interesting column–basically accusing the rest of us of, well, not being clean enough.

There are more serious strikes against the host, which Penraker enumerates. But somehow I think that one will rankle the most.

>>>Finally, Michael Bates blogs in Tulsa about an upcoming special on Muslims in Oklahoma on OETA, Oklahoma’s public television station. Great; interesting question, hope for a good discussion. But you may not get one.

MB points out links between two of the announced panelists and a Wahhabi-funded trust, and then brings up a name that ought to be familiar to you Vent viewers:

There’s a name that ought to be on that list of panelists discussing Islam in Oklahoma — Jamal Miftah. His name belongs on the list for his eloquent condemnation of terror in the name of Islam. But it also belongs there because of the response that he received from the leaders of the Tulsa mosque, who confronted him angrily in the prayer hall and in the corridor of the mosque, saying that because of his column he was anti-Islamic, a label that could be heard by others as a thinly veiled incitement to violence against him.

There’s still time for OETA to choose a moderate voice like Miftah’s; Michael tells you how you can get in touch with them if you’re so inclined.

__________________________________
Last thing: please don’t insult me by claiming I’m just mad there are Arabs on my TV. I want Arabs on my TV. I’d love to see more Jamal Miftahs, Wafa Sultans, M. Zuhdi Jassers getting their say. These men and women do more for American goodwill toward Arabs and Muslims than the all the Wahhabi propaganda ever made.

Comments

Now, now, let’s be fair. I want to know the good points about the fellas that want to kill me.

Limerick on April 29, 2007 at 10:55 PM

This “director” has a solid point.

…the host of a PBS Muslim public affairs show has penned an interesting column–basically accusing the rest of us of, well, not being clean enough.

Let’s tally this one, shall we? Our womenfolk shave their legs and underarms, they don’t sweat all day under dark heavy burqa’s, the men don’t wear diapers in the misguided? hope we will give birth to our “messiah”, we don’t share our residence with camels or live in a hot desert – yeah, I think we know who the stinkers are, and it’s not us! Ugh! What do you expect from public television? It’s our tax dollars at work (working to make us all ill).

BTW, nice posting tonight See Dubya. You’ve made my evening very entertaining.

thedecider on April 29, 2007 at 10:58 PM

PBuhS: An exceedingly generous gift wrested from our tax dollars and delivered up on a silver plater for George Soros’ enjoyment.

Or is Moyers the most truthful man on the planet?

Speakup on April 29, 2007 at 11:17 PM

“I think it’s more mainstream and more objective than CNN”

That’s like saying a Water Moccasin is less poisonous than a Copperhead. WTF is the difference?

infidel4life on April 29, 2007 at 11:18 PM

I don’t want to see Arabs on my television. And you can get mad at me all you want for making that statement.

jaleach on April 29, 2007 at 11:22 PM

I want Arabs on my TV.

So do I, especially starting with the body count of how many terrorist that the United States and Coalition forces have killed in the “World Wide War on Terrorism”?

PinkyBigglesworth on April 29, 2007 at 11:32 PM

PinkyBigglesworth on April 29, 2007 at 11:32 PM

Can you even imagine it? Before long, the MSM will be quoting Al Jazeera like it’s the gospel truth so long as it fits their anti-Bush, anti-war, anti-America agenda.

thedecider on April 29, 2007 at 11:37 PM

Sue me for not writing my version of Montgomery Gentry’s “My Town”, but once again, we (residents of Burlington, VT) are an embarrassment. Last summer (right around the week I moved back up here) our newly elected mayor openly attempted to make Burlington a “sanctuary city” (and wasn’t shy about using that language). Yeah, VT. We bring you civil unions before anyone else has heard of them. We bring you insane ladies who pee in the aisle on planes when returning home after spending time as a free lance American hater “journalist” in Pakistan, with their Pakistani boyfriends they met online. We bring you YEAAAAAARGH Howard Dean. We bring you the highest taxes per capita. We bring you the state Senate that not more than a couple weeks ago voted to impeach President Bush.

Home sweet home.

I do have to say one thing though, Burlington Telecom is pretty tiny:

Burlington Telecom, a city-owned cable company that serves 1,200 households in Vermont’s largest city

They’re something relatively new, and likely to be a complete failure before long. Almost everyone up here has Comcast (Adelphia was taken over just last year), and Burlington Telecom is very limited in their service area. Last I checked they were only available in part of downtown.

Anyway, it’s an embarassment, but at least it’s not like we’re all up here flipping through Seinfeld reruns during April snowstorms and running across Terrorist TV.

RightWinged on April 29, 2007 at 11:38 PM

Home sweet home.
RightWinged on April 29, 2007 at 11:38 PM

You could move here. We’d welcome you and, based on nothing more than your politics, you’d fit right in and have lots of friends – including me.

thedecider on April 29, 2007 at 11:43 PM

RightWinged,

You are not an embarrassment.

Signed,

VRWC

jaleach on April 29, 2007 at 11:46 PM

I wonder if the author of this post or any of the commenters here have actually watch AJ beyond some internet clips.

NPP on April 29, 2007 at 11:51 PM

Another fine reason for a la carte cable channels!

Sure, a la carte may be a little more expensive, but well worth it, I’d say. I’ll gladly pay more to have the option of NOT supporting al Jazeera (and MTV, etc.)

petefrt on April 29, 2007 at 11:55 PM

NPP on April 29, 2007 at 11:51 PM

You don’t even have to watch them, you can get the English version online at any time. So, what’s your point?

thedecider on April 29, 2007 at 11:55 PM

NPP on April 29, 2007 at 11:51 PM

No need to get neck deep in the sewer to find out whether it stinks or not.

P. James Moriarty on April 29, 2007 at 11:57 PM

It’s amusing to see how the entertainment industry goes ballistic over a la carte programming. I mean, if you give folks choices about what they can watch, how can you guarantee that the sheep will get their daily dose of left-wing propaganda?

jaleach on April 29, 2007 at 11:59 PM

Agreed. Top of my list is Ali Hasan. He’s a good guy.

ScottMcC on April 30, 2007 at 12:00 AM

The Muslim who claims that non-Muslims are not clean is only honestly saying what his religion teaches him: That infidels are unclean. That’s why our guys wear gloves to handle Korans at Gitmo.

Ibn Warraq makes the point in “Why I Am Not A Muslim” that the ritual washing of Muslims did not originate in a desire to remain clean but in the pagan Arab belief that water washes away evil spirits.

Tantor on April 30, 2007 at 12:25 AM

jaleach

That’s what it’s all about, now isn’t it.

petefrt on April 30, 2007 at 12:37 AM

As a part of the latest political push to have foot-washing equipment and bidets installed in Minnesota’s public restrooms, the host of a PBS Muslim public affairs show has penned an interesting column–basically accusing the rest of us of, well, not being clean enough Don’t make laugh. Where in the muslim WORLD do they even have reliable sanitary services. No No I ain’t going for that one no way. I’m calling bullshit on the whole premise!

sonnyspats1 on April 30, 2007 at 1:58 AM

Propaganda
Broadcasting
System

Always has been, now new and improved!!

(from a left-wing point of view of course)

P. James Moriarty on April 30, 2007 at 3:12 AM

It’s time the cable companies allow the customer to decide what is in their packages that comes into their homes. The technology is out there..but they won’t accommodate..peckers.

Highrise on April 30, 2007 at 3:36 AM

I strongly suspect that one of the great under-explored areas of the war is the infiltration of Islamist money into western journalism. It seems highly unlikely that the MSM (worldwide, not just in the US) could be SO blatantly pro-Islamic (when given the choice between that and US/coalition/Israel) without a little help from under-the-table Saudi dollars. We know al-Qaeda has an operational propaganda wing, and we know they’ve been extraordinarily successful at it with the MSM, so somewhere, somehow, the money is moving. Just putting it out there.

Halley on April 30, 2007 at 4:36 AM

This could very well be true… Israel seems to perfer al-Jazeera to CNN or BBC.

Lehosh on April 30, 2007 at 4:48 AM

Ah, Burlington. I’ve got a buddy lives up there. Total BDS case. Borderline Truther (not quite, but thinks there’s enough evidence to prosecute Bush for “war crimes”). This guy was evidently asked to run for City Council by the Republicans! He didn’t, but it gives you an idea of how the city skews that the R’s would even consider him as a decent candidate.

Farmer_Joe on April 30, 2007 at 7:19 AM

Having been deployed to three different Middle-Eastern countries and currently living within driving distance of Dearbornistan, I have but one comment about this:

If they would wear socks and real shoes instead of wearing some variant of sandals everywhere they go and in every weather condition imaginable, their feet wouldn’t be so dirty and they wouldn’t need special foot-washing equipment.

James on April 30, 2007 at 8:07 AM

Burlington Telecom is a private business

The story indicates the company is owned by the City of Burlington. Doesn’t seem so private to me.

kmcguire on April 30, 2007 at 8:08 AM

More mainstream and more objective than CNN? It has always been my viewpoint that CNN is the equivalent of Al Jazeera.
And PBS is only good for watching the Brit coms.

lynnv on April 30, 2007 at 8:12 AM

NPP on April 29, 2007 at 11:51 PM

Yes. As a matter of fact, they have the live streaming English version online, which I watch on occasion. I can tell you, the full broadcast is basically a whole lot of internet clips.

amerpundit on April 30, 2007 at 8:23 AM

CW, this is worth repeating:

Heh.

See-Dubya

Nicely done.

Jaibones on April 30, 2007 at 8:57 AM

Halley on April 30, 2007 at 4:36 AM

Agree completely. Especially when journalists are trained to have minimal allegiance to the West.

infidel4life on April 30, 2007 at 10:23 AM