Another big fish in Iraq? UPDATE: Another one gaffed, cleaned, fried

posted at 4:15 pm on April 28, 2007 by see-dubya

John from Verum Serum sends along a nice catch, so to speak: He’s been reading carefully over General Petraeus’ public comments about conditions in Iraq and noticed he dropped a name no one has yet seized upon: Abu Mustafa Al-Sheibani. Petraeus said:

As you know, there are seven Quds Force members in detention as well. This involvement, again, we learned more about with the detention of an individual named Sheibani, who is one of the heads of the Sheibani network, which brings explosively formed projectiles into Iraq from Iran. His brother is the Iranian connection. He is — was in Iraq. And that has been the conduit that then distributes these among the extremist elements again of these secret cells and so forth.

Sheibani is on the Iraqi Government’s “41 most wanted” list. Not only does this guy work for and with Iran, John notes, but he’s also thought to be the first guy to bring in the Explosively Formed Projectiles. From Time, August 2005 (and that’s a good article.):

The U.S. Military’s new nemesis in Iraq is named Abu Mustafa al-Sheibani, and he is not a Baathist or a member of al-Qaeda. He is working for Iran. According to a U.S. military-intelligence document obtained by TIME, al-Sheibani heads a network of insurgents created by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps with the express purpose of committing violence against U.S. and coalition forces in Iraq. Over the past eight months, his group has introduced a new breed of roadside bomb more lethal than any seen before; based on a design from the Iranian-backed Lebanese militia Hizballah, the weapon employs “shaped” explosive charges that can punch through a battle tank’s armor like a fist through the wall.

The MSM hasn’t picked up on his capture yet. One wonders when and if they will…the capture of two major Iran-linked terror leaders in Iraq may just be too much good news for them to handle. Besides, a Republican got caught with a call girl!

Exit question: Do you think anyone will be claiming the $200,000 reward for Sheibani’s capture?

(BTW, you can send me tips this week (or any week) to seedub, at hotmail.)

UPDATE: They’re biting, all right. First I’d heard about this guy’s unlamented demise:

The U.S. military said Mohammed Abdullah Abbas Al Issawi was killed on April 20 in a coalition operation northwest of Baghdad. The military said Al Issawi, also known as Abdul Sattar and Abu Akram, was an Al Qaida commander in the Ameriya and Karmah areas around the Iraqi capital, Middle East Newsline reported.
Al Issawi was also identified as the so-called emir, or chief, of Al Qaida in Anbar. Al Qaida was said to have established a major presence in the eastern province.

More evidence of success from that Al-Anbar surge (and cooperative sheiks) that AllahPundit actually cracked a smile about a few days back. Sattar/Issawi/Akram led the cell that used the 12-year old kids in their car-bombs, so good riddance.

Comments

I bet the reward was more like a bigger cell.

Free Constitution on April 28, 2007 at 4:24 PM

Big disappointment. I thought he was gonna talk about bass fishing. Oh well, at least he knows who Bill Dance is.

RedWinged Blackbird on April 28, 2007 at 4:42 PM

Is it go time yet?
Hunting Iranians in Iraq sounds like a great idea. Leave out the middle terrorist and go right to the source.

Hening on April 28, 2007 at 4:47 PM

Roland Martin and Jimmy Houston could catch some big ones. Remember that time in Mexico when Jimmy Houston hooked a sunfish and while reel’n it in a 10lb bass ate the sunfisfh. I think it was staged for ratings.

Drtuddle on April 28, 2007 at 4:58 PM

see-dubya on April 28, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Bill Dance was definitely the right choice – the Arnold Palmer of bass fishing. I grew up watching him on the local station in Memphis in the ’60′s.

I think it was staged for ratings.

I think they’re all staged. Bill Dance has never caught a fish under five pounds.

RedWinged Blackbird on April 28, 2007 at 5:33 PM

Was Jimmy Houston the guy who would narrate every strike with SON….THAT’S A BIIIG FISH!…SON!….HOOOOOO-WEEE!…THAT IS A BIG ONE…SON…?

I like that guy.

see-dubya on April 28, 2007 at 5:35 PM

Yeah riiight! But with Roland Martin you could have worked in his favorite fishing lake and the greatest name for a lake. Lake Okeechobee!

Drtuddle on April 28, 2007 at 5:37 PM

Was Jimmy Houston the guy who would narrate every strike with SON…

That’s him. I believe he was a high school math teacher before he hit the big time.

RedWinged Blackbird on April 28, 2007 at 5:39 PM

May he burn in hell for eternity.

crosspatch on April 28, 2007 at 5:43 PM

May he burn in hell for eternity.

crosspatch on April 28, 2007 at 5:43 PM

I understand some people don’t like Jimmy Houston, but come on.

see-dubya on April 28, 2007 at 5:51 PM

May he burn in hell for eternity.

Give the guy a break. He’s converted. I was led astray by the little white ball until I repented and came back to the fold.

RedWinged Blackbird on April 28, 2007 at 5:53 PM

Yeah I always wonder how the underwater camera shot was in right under the fish when it hit the lure!

Drtuddle on April 28, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Jimmy Houston looked like John Denver’s Doppelganger who liked to fish.

Drtuddle on April 28, 2007 at 6:03 PM

We aren’t unconsciously making metaphors for these recent captures?

Drtuddle on April 28, 2007 at 6:07 PM

It seems these Iranian punks may not have had very many real friends in those Iraqi neighborhoods. That $200,000 reward would build a decent little vacation house up in Iraqi Kurdistan.

Zorro on April 28, 2007 at 6:16 PM

We aren’t unconsciously making metaphors for these recent captures?

Metaphors? Oh…you mean the jihadis. Nah, I’m not that clever.

RedWinged Blackbird on April 28, 2007 at 6:19 PM

ROFL no no stop stop ….. your killng me Wha? The 41 most wanted list Ha Ha Ha You got to be kidding ALI-BABA AND THE FOURTY THEIVES!

sonnyspats1 on April 28, 2007 at 6:29 PM

But the surge is not working, durn it!

fogw on April 28, 2007 at 6:36 PM

Lake Okeechobee!

Drtuddle on April 28, 2007 at 5:37 PM

Good name but the world record lunker caught in FL was yanked from Lake George. Okeechobee is what, the second biggest lake in the U.S.including the Great Lakes?

sonnyspats1 on April 28, 2007 at 6:38 PM

As you know, there are seven Quds Force members in detention as well.

That CAN’T be right! Remember, those guys were part of that quid pro quo for the British hostages ../sac off.

*wink*

Texas Gal on April 28, 2007 at 6:41 PM

The world record bass was caught near Jacksonville, Georgia on June 2, 1932 by George Perry. It weighed 22 pounds 4 ounces and was caught from an oxbow lake off the Ocmulgee River.

RedWinged Blackbird on April 28, 2007 at 6:44 PM

Nooooooooooooo! We’re losing! Harry Reid said so! Petraeus must stop whacking and capturing terrorist leaders while there are still some left for Harry and Nancy to kneel to!

ReubenJCogburn on April 28, 2007 at 7:10 PM

Lake Fork in Texas will produce the largest large mouth someday!

Drtuddle on April 28, 2007 at 7:15 PM

Hey 12 year old kids driving a car must have had a terrorist hardship license.

Drtuddle on April 28, 2007 at 7:19 PM

Love that picture. Thanks See-Dubya

John on April 28, 2007 at 7:27 PM

As you know, there are seven Quds Force members in detention as well.

Is this the same folks who make up the “Irbil Five.” If so how did their party increase to seven? Sheibani would make six if he is part of the Qods force (which I think he may be), but who is #7? Any ideas

DCA on April 28, 2007 at 7:33 PM

but who is #7? Any ideas

DCA on April 28, 2007 at 7:33 PM

….. and does he fish?

PinkyBigglesworth on April 28, 2007 at 7:38 PM

Lake Fork in Texas will produce the largest large mouth someday!

Quite possible. It’s partly about the length of the growing season (latitude) and partly about genetics. Apparently, there is a genetic super-bass in the California region. I think there have been a few 20-pounders caught there. I can’t imagine a greater abomination than to have California as the home of the world record largemouth. Let’s hope the libs outlaw fishing there before it happens. And then there’s Mexico…assuming there’s anyone left there to fish. In any case, it’s the most enduring world record in all of sports, and I expect that it will fall pretty soon.

RedWinged Blackbird on April 28, 2007 at 7:40 PM

Shoulda gone with Charlie Pack

daveintexas on April 28, 2007 at 7:42 PM

Don’t tell Harry Reid. He doesn’t like good news.

Yakko77 on April 28, 2007 at 7:44 PM

keep them coming boys!

Defector01 on April 28, 2007 at 7:46 PM

I could tell you some stories about trying to fish in California, but they’re some of my good cocktail party stories and someone would recognize them.

see-dubya on April 28, 2007 at 7:52 PM

I get the feeling that most of the ‘cocktails’ around here come in cans or bottles.

RedWinged Blackbird on April 28, 2007 at 8:01 PM

al-Sheibani is responsible for the deaths of many American soldiers and marines. Waterboard him, squeeze everything he knows out of him, put a bullet in his head, and bury him with a pig in an unmarked grave.

georgej on April 28, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Nothing beats the taste of fresh fish.

F15Mech on April 28, 2007 at 8:50 PM

“Remember that time in Mexico when Jimmy Houston hooked a sunfish and while reel’n it in a 10lb bass ate the sunfisfh. I think it was staged for ratings. ”

Drtuddle on April 28, 2007 at 4:58 PM

Something much like that actually happened to me down in Arkansas back in the early 70s. Bluegill down there are called, “Bream” (pronounced “brim”) and I was hittin’ a mess of mornin’ bream with the cane pole from the boat, just snatchin’ ‘em up so fast that bending the barb down on the hook was the way to go, tossin’ panfish into the bucket, new mealworm and drop the hook back down at the level the pool was hittin’ at when… Booom. Largemouth hit the bream already hooked. Thing broke the line after a couple of good fight attempts, though.

As for only seeing the great sized fish and hits, the underwater and topside cameras are on all the time, the little stuff is on the cuttingroom floor. Those guys do know how to find the thermocline in a hurry, though.

Doggone it, now ah’m mighty powerful hungry for some fresh caught fried fish ‘n hushpuppies, baked beans ‘n bear.

The Machine on April 28, 2007 at 10:06 PM

Nothing beats the taste of fresh fish.

F15Mech on April 28, 2007 at 8:50 PM

Mmmm Sushi!!

Bradky on April 28, 2007 at 10:18 PM

Nothing beats the taste of fresh fish.

F15Mech on April 28, 2007 at 8:50 PM

There was an old guy in Stephen King’s Christine who thought one thing did.

mikeyboss on April 28, 2007 at 10:30 PM

Yeah Redwinged I was talking about the Florida world record/ I beleive I am correct on that. At least thats the fish story we tell here in Florida.

sonnyspats1 on April 28, 2007 at 10:36 PM

DCA on April 28, 2007 at 7:33 PM

That’s a good question DCA. I would have to assume the Irbil Five are included in that seven. Funny how that went right over the MSM’s head in the briefing, huh? I’ve got a feeling #7 might have been #1.

Texas Gal on April 28, 2007 at 11:00 PM

Now those children will be able to grow up and make an informed choice between becoming a suicide bomber or having children of their own, who, insh’allah, will be able to grow up and make the same informed choice. Maybe they’ll shrewdly split the difference by opting to contribute money and prayers to support martyrdom operations against the Great Satan.

Kralizec on April 29, 2007 at 1:09 AM

No catch and release please.

These suckers are all pan fry-able.

Unless you want them raw, with onions, like Dutch herrings.

profitsbeard on April 29, 2007 at 1:55 AM

Well, if you consider Florida to be the world. Those are state records.

RedWinged Blackbird on April 29, 2007 at 5:28 AM

RedWinged Blackbird on April 29, 2007 at 5:28 AM

I know but check out the date. BTW thats the first time I’ve seen it myself.

sonnyspats1 on April 29, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Bill Dance bloopers

Some very funny stuff…

benrand on April 29, 2007 at 10:34 AM

I question the timing ;)

William Teach on April 29, 2007 at 11:22 AM

“I thought Roland Martin would be a little too obscure for our cosmopolitan audience.”

Ain’t no man purses ’round here in da South (always capitalized)

William Teach on April 29, 2007 at 11:24 AM

Someone say Babe Winkelman???

benrand on April 29, 2007 at 11:03 PM

FYI

How Pakistan settled an al-Qaeda score

KARACHI – Internal squabbling between the Taliban and al-Qaeda and exploited by Pakistan forced many al-Qaeda leaders to move from the tribal areas between Pakistan and Afghanistan to Iraq in search of new headquarters from which to operate.

Senior al-Qaeda member Abdul Hadi al-Iraqi, 46, was one of these men – and he paid dearly for the move after being fingered by Pakistan. On Friday, the Pentagon announced that Hadi had been arrested late last year and handed over to the US Central

TheBigOldDog on April 30, 2007 at 2:47 PM

Ain’t no man purses ’round here in da South (always capitalized)

We don’t worry about whether the Norther Agressors know the names of country fisherman or not. Cause “we can skin a buck and run a trot line”

Drtuddle on April 30, 2007 at 3:21 PM

RedWinged Blackbird on April 28, 2007 at 7:40 PM

Couple of San Diego lakes have a record… Lake Barrett comes to mind, just a matter of time.

right2bright on April 30, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Bocephus! I do so love those Southern boys.

KelliD on April 30, 2007 at 4:30 PM