Quote of the day #2

posted at 10:35 pm on April 27, 2007 by Allahpundit

“If you haven’t figured it out by now, working in the media is a pretty nice gig. Barring outright plagiarism or committing a crime, you don’t have to be accountable if you don’t want to. You can say what you want when you want and you don’t really have to answer to anyone.”

Comments

…you have an entire subset of media whose sole purpose in life is to actually be the news, instead of report it.

Curt Schilling

….. as well as making sure the United States looses a war that it is winning, aiding the enemy of our country by repeating the propoganda of our enemies without calling them on it, and to make sure President Bush is blamed for the boil on your butt….

PinkyBigglesworth on April 27, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Wow. I never thought I’d agree with Curt Shilling…

amerpundit on April 27, 2007 at 10:53 PM

Wow,
There is hope when someone of his position goes out of his way to thank God so publicly. Dang.

AP I am surprised at you posting this!

he being a “believer” and all. thanks for not leaving us out there big guy!

Must control my emotions here….. *sniff*

-Wastelnd Man.

WastelandMan on April 27, 2007 at 11:00 PM

Talk of Bean Town sports today (Along with previewing the draft tomorrow).

Some in the media hate Curt for his politics (conservative)and his willingness to take them on. Some hate his blog because it removes them as the gatekeepers and gives Curt a way to respond to the them directly. The last thing these guys want are more Curts going directly the fans.

Doesn’t this quote sum up the dishonesty in the media?

As I uttered those words I could see pretty much every person in that room roll their eyes and smirk. That’s not what any of them wanted to hear, truth or not. That was not good copy. They needed more and what I didn’t give them, they got themselves.

TheBigOldDog on April 27, 2007 at 11:12 PM

Think so, Curt? Try saying something suggesting you aren’t on-board with the leftist agenda, or worse, that you’re conservative. I bet you’ll find yourself having to answer to some people.

Blacklake on April 27, 2007 at 11:14 PM

They have little to no talent at what they do and other than a mastery of the English language their skill sets are non-existent.

No – mastery of the English language is NOT a requirement, not even for the ‘smartest woman in the world’. Hillary thinks she’s now a multilingual candidate because she drawls something, wherever she’s at:

“I think America is ready for a multilingual president,” Clinton said during a campaign stop at a charter school in Greenville, S.C.

A good bad media example is the Associated Press they think Ebonics and a Southern accent is being a polyglot.

Clinton is a linguistic polyglot — a Chicago native turned New York resident who works in Washington and spent two decades living in Arkansas when her husband, Bill Clinton, was governor.

What will they call her when she attempts Arabic and Spanish, or maybe French?

I bet anything the foreign (sophisticated and snooty) press will remain quiet on this one. Were it Mr. Bush they’d write about his inadequcies interminably.

Entelechy on April 27, 2007 at 11:22 PM

Alas, inadequacies…

Entelechy on April 27, 2007 at 11:24 PM

There was a rumour going around that Schilling was going to challenge Kerry in 08 for his Senate seat.
Please God let that be true…
You should be pleased by that AP, potentionally gets a Republican in A Massachusetts seat, and moves the Red Sox ace out of the way.
(given that you’re a godless atheist, I assume you’re a Yankee fan)

billy on April 27, 2007 at 11:35 PM

(given that you’re a godless atheist, I assume you’re a Yankee fan)

billy on April 27, 2007 at 11:35 PM

Hey now! Pope JP II gave a mass at Yankee Stadium. My dad was NYPD Bronx borough commander at the time. He secretly had cops stashed under the altar with kick-out boards in case of trouble.

mikeyboss on April 27, 2007 at 11:38 PM

Has anyone bothered to remind these pinheads that Bush is in fact bi-lingual.

CurtZHP on April 27, 2007 at 11:48 PM

“You can say what you want when you want and you don’t really have to answer to anyone”

Tell that to Don Imus.

Nonfactor on April 27, 2007 at 11:55 PM

YEA!!! I get to suggest the quote of the day!!

– Mazz from ViaSat

Mazztek on April 27, 2007 at 11:57 PM

I think America is ready for a multilingual president,” Clinton said during a campaign stop at a charter school in Greenville, S.C. WTF? When is the last time you heard anyone called multilingual? Isn’t it Bi-lingual? Ha Ha HMM… So Bi-lingual might conatate hmm lets see Bi-sexual? Oh gotcha . There something to that I’m sure of it!

sonnyspats1 on April 28, 2007 at 12:01 AM

I’d really like to hope this is a joke. But in case it isn’t: Multi – multiple; Bi – two.

Nonfactor on April 28, 2007 at 12:14 AM

Hillary Clinton….. next, the stain………. the real story…..

If Hillary even shows a “blimp” on the radar, “dirty laundry” will fill the air waves, and there is nothing Soros and Media Matters can do about it………. You can’t buy back the truth…

PinkyBigglesworth on April 28, 2007 at 12:52 AM

Sorry, I’m not a sports fan, so this reads like a Harlaquin Novel.

Kini on April 28, 2007 at 1:14 AM

I’ve always respected Curt Schilling as a stand up guy and a great competitor on the field. Now more than ever. If, in the future he does challenge Kerry for the Senate, I think he has a good chance of making it. Not just because he’s Bosox, but also the man he is away from the diamond.
Slightly off topic, but the high point of the season so far is the FOUR consecutive homers the Sox hit against the Yankees the other night. I loved it!

Doug on April 28, 2007 at 1:16 AM

Curt is one of the good guys.

infidel4life on April 28, 2007 at 1:42 AM

Nonfactor on April 28, 2007 at 12:14 AM

My point Hillary speaks Ebonese,English and? Thats two =Bi!I smell a rat. Ha Ha or mabey a cat,two of em.

sonnyspats1 on April 28, 2007 at 1:50 AM

I have come to loath the media.

Crab Pot on April 28, 2007 at 2:11 AM

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle.”

Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Norvell (June 11, 1807)

“The fat Russian agent was cornering all the foreign refugees in turn and explaining plausibly that this whole affair was an Anarchist plot. I watched him with some interest, for it was the first time that I had seen a person whose profession was telling lies – unless one counts journalists.”

Orwell, “Homage to Catalonia”

JimC on April 28, 2007 at 2:14 AM

I think Billary meant Bi-lingual, as in fork-tongued. Jusssssst a sssssslip of the forked tongue, I guessssssss.

stonemeister on April 28, 2007 at 2:43 AM

Seeing the faces of all those Boston liberals after Curt said to vote for Bush was absolutely priceless. He definitely is one of the good guys.

WisCon on April 28, 2007 at 4:23 AM

Sorry, I’m not a sports fan, so this reads like a Harlaquin Novel.

Same here. Something about a bloody sock?

Though if he is planning to swipe the junior senator’s seat, I am all for his God thanking and bloody sock wearing ways.

mojowire on April 28, 2007 at 7:48 AM

Sorry, I’m not a sports fan, so this reads like a Harlaquin Novel.
Same here. Something about a bloody sock?

mojowire on April 28, 2007 at 7:48 AM

Part of the significance is that the sock now resides in the Baseball Hall of Fame, as another article I read says. So it kind of is a big deal to baseball fans and, I am sure, to Curt. I saw a picture of his ankle injury. It’s totally conceivable that he was bleeding through onto his sock. It was a miscontrued statement that an irresponsible member of the media ran with. I don’t blame Curt for being upset.

Glynn on April 28, 2007 at 8:55 AM

Wonder if that’s the new elite put-down to that “multilingual” comment. A transplanted New Yorker (interestingly enough) told me recently that she could understand lots of foreign accents, but she could hardly make out her husband’s family’s Southern drawl. Oh, really? My immediate thought was it’s pretty rich for a New Yorker to complain about other people’s regional accents. Second thought was pity for that woman’s in-laws.
Now Hillary’s using a variation of the same underlying idea, Southerners are a form of “foreign.” That’s twice in two weeks, from the mouths of Liberals. They never do anything original – it’s got to be new smirk.
Having been south of the Mason-Dixon line for a little bit, my ear has become more attuned to noticing northern/central accents, which apart from the raging New York, Massachusetts and Maine accents, I never was able to differentiate before.
Hillary’s accent takes those vowels and pulls them out in a somewhat harsh and less melodious manner. Not quite as strong as the French spoken by the Quebecois in contrast to the Parisian French, but definitely along the same side of the spectrum. I suppose it could be the Illinois French heritage, plus closer proximity to Canada. The French comparison will show it better: (I hope – maybe some real linguists can do it better)
the word: maintenant (meaning right now)
France: mon-tah-noh
Quebec: mehn-ten-naw (with more nasal)

When people have complained that Hillary screeches, there’s some truth it. Her accent makes her voice sound harsher, especially the louder she speaks. The public hasn’t had many opportunities to actually hear her speak over the last decade, so we’re only getting the chance to listen to her in all her “glory” now.
Next time Hillary gives her spiel, we can all sit and shake our heads and then say, “Well, I-I couldn’t understand her,” plus lots of “Can you repeat that?”

naliaka on April 28, 2007 at 9:04 AM

He ought to give David Broder a call. He went from sugar to sh$t because he dissed Dingy Harry.

BacaDog on April 28, 2007 at 9:14 AM

I only know Curt Shillng from his joining the Red Sox and insulting Yankee fans. This seemed like part of the usual drama, but it reduced any possible empathy when they kept zooming in on the bloody sock. I’ve been in plenty of bloody sport situations and none of the bloodied had a million dollars to bet afterwards.

People say stupid things, especially people that are paid to never shut up during a ball game. Curt has had his share of offensive words which makes his speaking about his faith seem a contradiction to some folks. That could be why reporters were rolling their eyes.

My family can only afford one ball game a year and we drive a long way to sit in Yankee stadium with some really good people from all over the globe that love the game. I would just suggest having thicker skin if you plan on insulting thousands of loyal fans, especially in the Northeast USA.

Hening on April 28, 2007 at 9:33 AM

Curt Schilling is so smart that if he wasn’t a major league pitcher, he could’ve been a rocket scientist.

PRCalDude on April 28, 2007 at 10:38 AM

Kerry is up for re-election in 2008. Draft Curt, anyone?

Kid from Brooklyn on April 28, 2007 at 11:14 AM

Sorry, I’m not a sports fan, so this reads like a Harlaquin Novel.
Same here. Something about a bloody sock?
mojowire on April 28, 2007 at 7:48 AM

If the Sock Don’t fit, you must… nevermind…

Mazztek on April 28, 2007 at 11:28 AM

Please provide examples.

Capitalist Infidel on April 28, 2007 at 11:47 AM

It’s nice to hear someone else in sports “telling it like it is”.

I miss Curt Shilling, being a life-long Phillies fan.

I also miss Billy Wagner, Scott Rolen and Bobby Abreu, and anticipate Phillies’ management will trade away Ryan Howard by the All Star break, for two minor league relief pitchers and a mascot to be named later.

Maybe I’ll become a Red Sox Fan.

fogw on April 28, 2007 at 12:10 PM

For those asking what it’s all about, a brief summary.

Schilling had minor, experimental surgery on a damaged tendon in his right ankle prior to his start in game six of the American League Championship Series. Part way throught he game, the ankle began to bleed through the stitches. TV cameras picked up on it, and it became a point of interest during the game, that Schilling was pitching, and pitching well, in spite of very recent medical attention on his pivoting ankle. Boston went on to win the ALCS, and the World Series.

Some Boston non-fans in the media have since suggested that it was a ploy to inspire the team to try harder, or other such nonsense that all ends up saying the sock was painted, not bloodied.

At one point, Red Sox teammate Doug Mirabelli was asked again about “the sock”, and quipped, “Yeah, we got a lot of publicity out of that.” A sportswriter/announcer named Gary Thorne took that statement to mean the sock was faked, and said during a live game broadcast: “The sock was painted. Doug Mirabelli confessed up to it. It was all for PR.”

Thorne has since recanted, with a very weak mea culpa

Freelancer on April 28, 2007 at 2:02 PM

Blacklake on April 27, 2007 at 11:14 PM

For what it’s worth Curt is actually a conservative, supported W in 04, and there were rumors about him running against Kerry for the Senate seat.

RightWinged on April 28, 2007 at 2:08 PM