Too good to check: WaPo ran Jessica Lynch nonsense despite sources’ warnings

posted at 2:10 pm on April 26, 2007 by Allahpundit

Everyone else has already linked it, but for the benefit of any readers we might have who don’t read other right-wing blogs, here you go. Alternate headline: “Media outraged at military for not doing more to prevent media’s awful journalism.”

Great work by Ray Robison, although I wouldn’t go so far as to accuse them of inventing the source. They’ve been taking dictation from leakers with agendas for years now, occasionally with tragicomic results. Why should it be any different in this case? The only unusual thing here is that the leaker was pro-war, not anti.

Comments

its all Bush’s fault that we didn’t fact check for follow the most basic rules of any journalist or writer. Damn him and Karl Rove for our own anxiousness

Defector01 on April 26, 2007 at 2:12 PM

She is still my little Rambo

americaslaststand on April 26, 2007 at 2:29 PM

Was it Susan Schmidt trying to create a Mambo, that caused the misreporting. After all an army of mambos could certainly intimidate the male US populus and keep us in line for the feminazis. Right? Now they have to go back to the play book and find a new intimidator. Reality vs Psychological interpretation.

sonnyspats1 on April 26, 2007 at 2:51 PM

CURSE the military for not doing the fact-checking that no American journalist will do!

Misha I on April 26, 2007 at 2:54 PM

She got kinda hot. Still needs to lose about 5 to 10 lbs, but all in all, not bad.

Ringmaster on April 26, 2007 at 2:54 PM

She got kinda hot.

Not to objectify her and give Jane Hamster a coronary or anything (though that would definitely be quite the incentive), but I think that the correct words would be “smoking hot.”

Add that to brave, honest and humble, and I do believe that we have a true winner here.

Misha I on April 26, 2007 at 3:01 PM

This girl accepted the Silver Star. If she believed then, as she believes now, that she is just ordinary, why did she take it?

Entelechy on April 26, 2007 at 3:14 PM

There’s an old adage about military honors: The more deserved it is, the less likely it is that the recipient will brag about it.

The reverse is, obviously, also true. For an example, see: “Kerry, John.”

Misha I on April 26, 2007 at 3:18 PM

Ringmaster on April 26, 2007 at 2:54 PM

Of course she needs to lose weight. She was 88Mike, the same MOS that can’t pass the physical fitness exam, and only gets a 37 on the ASVAB.

Tim Burton on April 26, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Misha I on April 26, 2007 at 3:01 PM

True…despite my diss of 88Mikes, I’d still date her….

Tim Burton on April 26, 2007 at 3:34 PM

She risked her life.

She got the wounds.

The rescue was great.

More power to her.

profitsbeard on April 26, 2007 at 3:43 PM

Oh yeah. Smokin’ hot!

Ugly on April 26, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Defector01 on April 26, 2007 at 2:12 PM

It was Bush himself that was the unidentified official. It’s all part of the MASTER PLAN.

Rick on April 26, 2007 at 4:54 PM

Well, what do the democrats want of the President?? Revoke her bronze star and purple heart??

gary on April 26, 2007 at 4:56 PM

As I recall the news coverage, American government sources, either the military or NSA, intercepted an Iraqi transmission that told of the capture of Jessica and also told of the fierce fighting of a hostage who was also captured. It appears that in this transmission the Iraqi misspoke and referred to the fighting hostage as “she”. Or perhaps it was mistakenly translated. That’s where the error began.

The Pentagon originally briefed Congress off the record about the incident as they understood it at the time as part of regular intel briefings. It appears that somebody from Congress shot his mouth off and the unconfirmed story made its way to the media. The press went with the story on flimsy sources and then when later facts debunked it, shifted the blame to the military, who never went public with the fighting Jessica story.

Tantor on April 26, 2007 at 5:10 PM

Great points, AP and American Thinker. But even if the government had “lied” (and it didn’t), she’s the main liar, as she willingly accepted a Bronze Star, a TV movie deal, a book deal, a Glamour mag award, etc.

Debbie Schlussel on April 26, 2007 at 5:15 PM

Debbie

The bronze star was for bravery which she no doubt was and if you were offered a TV Movie (that actually told the truth) a book deal and a Galmour mag award you would turn them down of course, right!

EricPWJohnson on April 26, 2007 at 6:26 PM

She’s not smoking hot, but I would tap it if she asked nicely.

This story is hilarious.

Martin on April 26, 2007 at 7:08 PM

She served with honor The press messed up and the Dem;s want to blame it all on Bush or Rove. So let them, I say. They are big enough the know when the Dems are on a witch hunt, which they are, no doubt about it. Jessica served with honor and could have ended up like the other poor soul who was killed. I just pray she and everyone else who served and are serving are remembered for thier service no matter what duties they had while over there,period.

bones47 on April 26, 2007 at 7:40 PM

With respect, Eric, what did she do to win that bronze star? I’ll concede A) I don’t know much about the JL ‘incident’ (then again, nearly everything about it seems to be ‘disputed’), and B) I’m not an expert on US military decorations

But the bronze star is to be awarded, correct me if I’m wrong, for “Heroic or meritorious achievement or service”. And from what little I know about the case, her vehicle crashed, she was knocked unconcious, became a POW, and was rescued. No disrespect is intended, but that seems a bit much, at a glance

Reaps on April 26, 2007 at 9:11 PM

Let’s don’t forget that she spent several months recovering from her injuries and may not have had much time to reflect on the hoopla. Not sure about the whole silver/bronze star issue but it is a no win situation for her. She can refuse or return them and be labeled a moonbat or just be quiet and criticized for not refusing them.
Twenty years old is still pretty young to deal with some of the issues surrounding her story. The army may have told her she deserved the decorations — (What does a private say to a Colonel who gives them a decoration? Thank you sir/ma’am.

It seems that she would rather go back to relative anonymity and has not done much that I can see that indicates a desire for celebrity status.

BTW I’m sure (heavy sarcasm) she is tickled to death that some of you “would do her”. How very noble of you.

Bradky on April 27, 2007 at 12:17 AM

Debbie Schlussel on April 26, 2007 at 5:15 PM

Sounds like you are a little envious of the attention she got. Guess when you were in the military …. oh wait, you never were.

Bradky on April 27, 2007 at 12:24 AM

jessica lynch is pathetic. she had Zero right to be at that congress hearing.

Debbie Schlussel is SPOT on her. Stop calling her envious about her attention.

I hate all this guilt crap and this conspiracy crap that isn’t proven. The whole shenanigans was frankly embarrasing and if lynch wanted to prove she wasn’t a whiner, she’d have stayed home and never accepted money for her hero status..yet she made money off of it. How hard is that to say?

Highrise on April 27, 2007 at 2:17 AM

Just because she had injuries doesn’t mean she can come now and distort before the american people what she feels the gov’t has wronged her.

GIVE ME A BREAK!

Use some logic peoples.

Highrise on April 27, 2007 at 2:18 AM

Prove why she had to be there at that congressional hearing. I want to hear the reasons….the gov’t did NOt do her wrong.

Highrise on April 27, 2007 at 2:19 AM

posted at 2:10 pm on April 26, 2007 by Allahpundit

With this site packing so much information and background, who has the time, or desire, to be anywhere else?

Thanks for the link A-pun.

iNeXuS on April 27, 2007 at 2:36 AM

For those who care to see her exact testimony try the above link. This thread was about the media not taking the time to thoroughly investigate a story, not a question about Lynch’s character.

Testifying before congress is not a crime. Jumping to conclusions and making some of the stupid statements about Lynch is immature and typifies the blog experience; I’ll go to my favorite site and let someone get me upset, read a couple of paragraphs to be an expert on the issue, and then make sweeping conclusions.

I googled it – read the material and look at what your knee jerk reactions were.

Bradky on April 27, 2007 at 4:48 AM

I agree with you Debbie…she knew she wasn’t any of the things the media portrayed her to be yet she sure took the medals and money…she had four years to correct the record…to me she is backstabbing a military that was nothing but nice to her…

CCRWM on April 27, 2007 at 12:00 PM

CCRWM on April 27, 2007 at 12:00 PM

What specifically did she say or do that “backstabbed” the military? I provided a link to her testimony transcript above.

Bradky on April 27, 2007 at 12:19 PM

Lynch got what she deserved.

The tragedy is the man who died following his paternal instinct for those who didn’t deserve it, and was not appropriately honored for his sacrifice.

The man fought. The broad didn’t belong there. End of story.

The other day a couple of co-workers were exchanging past experiences; one was an air force vet, the other the wife of an air force vet. Afterwards, I felt sickened at the state of our military.

The stories included cross-dressers, foreign objects discovered in anal cavities, and one husband who suffered anal damage from his wife’s over-exuberance in her use of a strap-on… this was considered perfectly acceptable, if amusing, by these two. After all, it didn’t violate the UCMJ, and it was almost all done off-duty… I came under attack when I assumed the cross-dressing was cause for court-martial. But then, what do I know? I never served… then again, nobody ever had to pull a jar of baby food out of my butt, either.
I merely hope and pray that our troops in Iraq are made of better stuff.

Hiraghm on April 27, 2007 at 1:37 PM