Video: O’Reilly catches Bill Moyers telling whoppers, Michelle comments

posted at 10:18 pm on April 24, 2007 by Bryan

This is good stuff: Bill O’Reilly nails, and perhaps goes as far as to pwn, leftwing documentarian and commentator Bill Moyers. Marvin Kalb and our own Michelle weigh in, Kalb for the defense and MM for the prosecution. It’s a longish segment, but worth your time. Note that the segment has been edited for brevity–on air it ran for about 12 minutes.

Takeaways: When liberals hear other liberals tell bald-faced lies, being “puzzled” is evidently the proper response. Describing someone as “far left” is a pejorative, according to Marvin Kalb. If folks like Mr. Kalb get their way, at some point, literally any word or phrase that we use to describe someone else’s ethnicity, politics or religious beliefs or any other identifying characteristic will be defined as “pejorative.” For liberals like Mr. Kalb, the way out of uncomfortable questions is to plead ignorance. Watch Kalb use that trick when O’R asks him whether George Soros is far left or not.

All in all, a good segment. O’R had the goods, the boss brought the cogent comment, and Bill Moyers’ credibility is history. Finito. Done.

Now if we could just get his hands out of the public TV trough.

Comments

They arent lies if your a liberal they are alternate realities.

Anyone remember Rather arguing that its OK to lie sometimes if your president when Slick Willie was in office ?

William Amos on April 24, 2007 at 10:30 PM

I’ve had leftist on other sites encourage me to watch this PBS thing going on now about the war. My reply was the Islam piece they are censoring and that I do not trust these people with honest reporting on the matter. They are incapable.

jp on April 24, 2007 at 10:32 PM

I used to support PBS with considerable yearly sums, until former Congresswoman Patricia Schroeder slipped in an overnight bill to fund them hugely, without the members voting knowing much about it.

Interesting as PBS used to be, ahead of all the other channel availability, I don’t find them to be of same value.

One of the good things about Messrs Moyers and Soros – they are as old as they are…dangerous both, but none beats Soros in viciousness, danger and ingratitude to this country.

Entelechy on April 24, 2007 at 10:34 PM

Leave it to Michelle to really wrap the package up there at the end. Great job.

And the people who watch Moyers show don’t care about the truth or the fact that O’R has tape and text to prove Moyers wrong. the PBS crowd wants to hear what they want to hear. Head in the sand.

americaslaststand on April 24, 2007 at 10:38 PM

Leave it to Michelle to really wrap the package up there at the end. Great job.

americaslaststand on April 24, 2007 at 10:38 PM

my sentiments exactly, thanks

RobertCSampson on April 24, 2007 at 10:42 PM

Hilarious. It reminds me of my son when he was in the 6th grade playing in the junior high band…He played a wrong note, and the band director asked him why he played an F instead of a…whatever note he was supposed to have played. The boy said “I didn’t play an F.” Director said “I was watching you and you most certainly did play an F. Why are you denying what you did? Why not just admit you made a mistake?”

Fortunately my son learned from that…don’t lie when someone has the goods on you. Guess Moyers never has figured that out.

I look forward to Moyers’ response to this segment.

Bob's Kid on April 24, 2007 at 10:42 PM

Here’s some good stuff on Moyers.

Ali-Bubba on April 24, 2007 at 10:45 PM

The blind spot that elite journalists such as Marvin Kalb have when asked who is on the left is fascinating. Kalb’s attempt to obfuscate Moyer’s positions reminds me of the recent appearance by NBC’s Andrea Mitchell on The Factor, which was virtually identical to an interview that Cal Thomas had on Fox in 2003 with CBS’s Leslie Stahl–both times when asked by their interviewers to name one conservative at their networks, they couldn’t.

This pattern seems to changing–post Blogosphere, far more journalists are willing to go on the record about their biases. But so many aging TV veterans still maintain their networks are “objective” despite being presented with mountains of evidence to the contrary.

Ed Driscoll on April 24, 2007 at 10:48 PM

I have had correspondence with Marvin Kalb before related to his reportage, and found him to be either disoriented or outright stupid. He is, of course, an ideological liberal, but is never cast as a commentator, only as a reporter.

O’Reilly was clever enough to bring him on in a right v left context, where he seemed quite comfortable, cast as the house liberal.

I am reticent to complement O’Reilly, knowing that as soon as I do, he’ll do something impossibly stupid and vain. So I won’t. But I must say I am enjoying immensely his foray into Horowitz’s Black Forest of Anti-American Leftist Horrors, with Soros, Moyers, the Tides Foundation, etc. What’s next, a look at the Ivory Tower?

Boss looked hawt, as usual.

Jaibones on April 24, 2007 at 10:49 PM

Brent Bozelle was on H&C on same subject, they have it on newsbusters right now.

jp on April 24, 2007 at 10:50 PM

i’ve never seen moyers as anything but a propagandist and have always viewed now as the best example of where leftists exempt leftwing propaganda from any discussion of media bias.

frontpage has had a couple of thorough takedowns of the moyers model over the years which can be found in the sidebar here.

essentially, his post official carreer has been one big tax-evasion scam using pbs as the laundromat.

jummy on April 24, 2007 at 10:55 PM

It is very upsetting that whenever there is a government funded project in this country and for that matter the world it is always attracts a certian anti US element. Over the course of the last fourty years the working class has supported many institutions that are hell bent on tearing down the very people who fund them. Yeah LBJ real great society you got there. Seseme street sux! lol

sonnyspats1 on April 24, 2007 at 10:57 PM

I love how Michelle just says it like it is.

You know what I love best about Michelle? Is that it is never about her. She speaks and defends herself sometimes, but mostly she defends the truth. That is what I like about her. It’s more about the truth than it is about her.

Rightwingsparkle on April 24, 2007 at 10:57 PM

Kalb doesn’t know Soros is far left? Yeah, Moyers just “sits on boards” and isn’t in bed with Soros. Keep drinking that kool-aid, Kalb.

thedecider on April 24, 2007 at 10:59 PM

This seems like pretty weak stuff to confront Moyers on considering that the only time I ever saw his TV show ( which I apparently financed with my tax dollars ), he was advancing the theory that Bush personally interfered to allow the 9/11 hijackers to board the plane in DC that crashed into the Pentagon.

Perchant on April 24, 2007 at 11:00 PM

I realize the word ‘liberal’ is bad, but now ‘far left’ is bad too ? How long before ‘progressive’ or ‘blue state’ become perjorative ?

And don’t get me started on ‘insurgent vs terrorist’ , or ‘war on terror’.

moc23 on April 24, 2007 at 11:06 PM

can cheney have formerly just sat on a board at haliburton and not be identified with the organization?

no. harry ried wont even let that be the case without directly smearing him as a war profiteer.

jummy on April 24, 2007 at 11:08 PM

LOL… classic. Sadly true.

eforhan on April 24, 2007 at 11:15 PM

Boss is great………..
Please send more boss…………..Over

omnipotent on April 24, 2007 at 11:22 PM

It’s been open season on Conservatism without repercussion for a long time.

Go get’em Bill!

Speakup on April 24, 2007 at 11:27 PM

Kalb is puzzled all right, and that’s about it.

Moyers, on the other hand, is a crafty liar.

4shoes on April 24, 2007 at 11:30 PM

Bill Moyers was just being “sloppy”.

Like Sandy Burlgar.

profitsbeard on April 24, 2007 at 11:39 PM

Come into my parlor said the spider to the fly. MM aka THE BLACK WIDOW

sonnyspats1 on April 24, 2007 at 11:39 PM

Describing someone as “far left” is a perjorative, according to Marvin Kalb.

Indeed. Just three days ago syndicated columnist Cynthia Tucker referred to Michelle as “ultraconservative.”

aunursa on April 24, 2007 at 11:41 PM

Jummy nailed it. This guy is a bald-faced liar, the leftists have hidden their agenda for decades, now that they are being called on it their default answer is more lies.

bbz123 on April 24, 2007 at 11:42 PM

jummy on April 24, 2007 at 10:55 PM Whoa jummy thanks for the link. Its hard to beleive this once great country was bought with our own tax dollars. Those power hungry SOB’s like Moyer and the like F’ed this place up. They hate George W. Bush because he dryied up all their money supply, as well he should. That is the source of BDS. This makes me fighting mad!

sonnyspats1 on April 24, 2007 at 11:46 PM

I love how Michelle just says it like it is.

Rightwingsparkle on April 24, 2007 at 10:57 PM

Ditto that

Chuck on April 25, 2007 at 12:02 AM

Ed Driscoll on April 24, 2007 at 10:48 PM

Nailed it…

It’s their “reality”, anything else is blasphemy….. blasphemy? “This is Blasphemy……… No, THIS IS SPARTA

{Just couldn’t help myslef}

PinkyBigglesworth on April 25, 2007 at 12:07 AM

By the way, Bill is no fool, he knows “money” {a.k.a. MM “the boss”} when he sees it, for her inteligence, interview style, knowledge of the topics, and “easy on the eye” “factor”…… Keep it up Michelle, I see a show of your own this year on FNC……

PinkyBigglesworth on April 25, 2007 at 12:22 AM

Why can’t I find the word ‘perjorative’ in my dictionary?

Because it is spelled pejorative. This word does not contain the prefix per-, but is derived from the Latin word peior or pejor meaning ‘worse’.

From askoxford.com

Was I the only one that looked for the definition? I was? sheesh. I’m just glad that Michelle was able to swat it back to him!

geckomon on April 25, 2007 at 12:37 AM

I can see Moyers talking to himself now:

“What’s O’Reilly doing listening to a Rolling Stone interview! That was for base consumption, not for general audience.”

I think that is why he seemed so self-assured in denying he ever said those things. The old codger is still living in the 60′s, when the major news organizations could manage how, when, where and what people would see and hear.

Dusty on April 25, 2007 at 1:09 AM

Heh. Billy O picks up Moyers and uses him to swat Soros again.

Or as my favorite bit of overdubbed animation might explain it, “Aw, I hit you wit your own pimp!”

see-dubya on April 25, 2007 at 1:24 AM

To add to Ali-Bubba’s link at 10:45PM, Moyers also won the Media Research Center’s 2003 Dishonor Award for The Most Outrageously Biased Liberal Reporters Quote of the Year. Atta boy, Reverend.

eeyore on April 25, 2007 at 2:06 AM

What, is Moyers about 5 feet 4 inches tall? He looked pretty short standing next to Bill O’s reporter…….

Mallard T. Drake on April 25, 2007 at 2:17 AM

Dan Rather of cBS- gone.
Rosie O’Donnell of The View – to be gone very soon.
Bill Moyer – next?

And who will they blame for their departures? Yeah…you know.

Kokonut on April 25, 2007 at 2:31 AM

I think that is why he seemed so self-assured in denying he ever said those things. The old codger is still living in the 60’s, when the major news organizations could manage how, when, where and what people would see and hear.

Dusty on April 25, 2007 at 1:09 AM

Imagine that!

sonnyspats1 on April 25, 2007 at 2:32 AM

You know, when Bill Maher criticized Media Matters a few weeks ago, he pretended not to know if they were left or right. So I think there’s something to this.

Jim Treacher on April 25, 2007 at 5:41 AM

To tie this in with the Sheehan “diet”, Michelle is the “heavy weight” champion of verbal fisticuffs. She pummeled Kalb’s tentative defense of Moyers using truth as her right hook. Perfect.

Zorro on April 25, 2007 at 7:14 AM

I don’t understand why PBS and NPR are publicly funded. Who decides this?

ctmom on April 25, 2007 at 8:07 AM

I wrote about Bill Moyer’s and his tendency to lie two years ago if anyone is interested.

Rightwingsparkle on April 25, 2007 at 8:28 AM

Bill Moyers; Bill O’Reilly.
Bill Moyers; Bill O’Reilly.
Bill Moyers; Bill O’Reilly.

LOL

honora on April 25, 2007 at 8:30 AM

I don’t understand why PBS and NPR are publicly funded. Who decides this?

ctmom on April 25, 2007 at 8:07 AM

Congress.

honora on April 25, 2007 at 8:31 AM

I don’t understand why PBS and NPR are publicly funded. Who decides this?

ctmom on April 25, 2007 at 8:07 AM

I don’t understand how PBS and NPR can still have even a trace of liberalism there when we had a Republican president and Republican majority in both houses until just a few months ago. We could have created a conservative media using those two outfits that would make FOX look far left by comparison and forced liberal taxpayers to pay for it. Another squandered opportunity.

Perchant on April 25, 2007 at 8:42 AM

Kalb and Moyers worked together at CBS for many years before Moyers started feasting at the CPB/PBS trough. I think that while O’Reilly’s comments were spot-on (and not new, btw), I think that O’Reilly should have put another liberal on the air has no professional or personal ties to Moyers. It would have made better TV.

chsw

chsw on April 25, 2007 at 8:55 AM

I am puzzled.

Wade on April 25, 2007 at 9:23 AM

Rightwingsparkle on April 25, 2007 at 8:28 AM

interesting article on Moyers, though I was distracted reading it by your pretty face.

jp on April 25, 2007 at 9:55 AM

I love it when ‘far left’ distortionists get caught in thier own spin. Michelle Malkin was perfectly in synch with O’Reilly. I haven’t seen ‘good cop-bad cop’ done so subtley before. :)

USA, all the way!

ValhallaMike on April 25, 2007 at 11:02 AM

Liberal lie is a redundant phrase.

drjohn on April 25, 2007 at 11:24 AM

Honestly is anyone surprised that the liberal left lies through their teeth? Dan Rather anyone?

Rock on……….

doriangrey on April 25, 2007 at 11:42 AM

jp on April 25, 2007 at 9:55 AM

*blush* Thanks.

Rightwingsparkle on April 25, 2007 at 12:25 PM

When you accuse everyone who disagrees with you of “spewing venom,” you might overlook or forget an instance or two.

saint kansas on April 25, 2007 at 12:26 PM

I recall listening to an audiotape of a Moyers “Bush and the Republicans are eeeevil” speech that was played on Portland’s local moonbat radio station a few years ago. It was the most skin-crawling demonstration of demagogic oratory I’ve ever heard, complete with him saying, “Hear me! Hear me!!” as the audience cheered him on. A written description of his words can’t capture the full creepiness, you had to have heard him.

Spurius Ligustinus on April 25, 2007 at 1:51 PM

I reject your reality and substitute my own

– Bill Moyers

F15Mech on April 25, 2007 at 3:52 PM

A tip of the hat to Bill O’Reilly;

Michelle was on point!

MarkB on April 25, 2007 at 4:06 PM

Thanks Ali-Bubba and eeyore for those links. As someone who attended the same univesity and worked at the same TV station, both years afterward, I take no pride in the association.

Bic on April 25, 2007 at 5:23 PM

Old Media.

Literally. Look at all the 1960s dinosaurs calling the shots, hosting the shows. There’s a bifocal glass ceiling in the MSM.

naliaka on April 25, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Who cares. Bill Moyers is right. Bill Oh is a big loud bully and he is just an old man who is afraid of this big loud mouth. He should have stood up and say YEA I said it, so what, ITS TRUE, proove me wrong. Moyer did lump Bill in with a bunch who are much worse idots than Loofah Bill.

Talking heads like Rush-Limpo, Hannity, Coulter add only strident BS to the debate which HURTS america. Of the group I like Bill the best, but come-ON! Bill-Loofah-Oh is not a great intellectual or even a journalist, as he admits, HE IS ENTERTAINMENT. However of what Moyer said and the people he listed, Bill is the least offensive, but still a right wing dill weed.

gmcjetpilot on April 25, 2007 at 7:45 PM

Why do we have government sponsored TV and radio in a free society? It needs to stop. Not with my money. Get a JOB Moyers. Oh, yeah, you can’t. No one in their right mind would hire you except “60 Minutes” and they already have an Andy Rooney.

foxforce91 on April 25, 2007 at 8:04 PM

BREAKING NEWS! O’Reilly CAUGHT telling whoppers

On Countdown tonight, Bill Oh, Loofah boy, was interviewed on Irish TV last week. When asked about comments he made about the poor being lazy and irresponsible and several other very nasty things as bad or worse he denied it, than said; Where DID YOU GET THAT! Is that from one of those SMEAR WEB SITES?………..he denied it.

Well Countdown played clips from the journalistic watch dog sight Media Matters and Bill did indeed say all those nasty things he denied.

Of course Media Matters is a smear site because they make him look like an idiot with HIS OWN WORDS. Early this week he put up some LAME flow chart and and said “SEE THIS CLEARLY SHOWS George Soros is Behind this.” Bill-Oh hates MSNBC and George Soros because they MAKE HIM LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT WITH HIS OWN WORDS! ha ha ha. How paranoid and egotistical is he?

Guess who made silver worst person in the world on Countdown tonight?, Rush-Limpo, He played a song by a Rev Sharpton impersonator called Obama the Magical Negro. You can go on MSNBC and catch countdown clips.

gmcjetpilot on April 25, 2007 at 8:59 PM

BREAKING NEWA: UPDATE – O’Reilly CAUGHT telling whoppers and is hateful.

I forgot Bill said this as well: “He has no respect for the Iraq people and they are all “prehistoric”.

He of couse denied he said that. There are recordings of him saying that on media matters. So when I hear some conservative crying about THE IRAQ PEOPLE, WE NEED TO WIN FOR THEM (I will fill in their real thoughts:

WE WANT THEIR OIL

or

WE NEED TO WIN TO SAVE THE GOP and BUSH’s LEGACY.

gmcjetpilot on April 25, 2007 at 11:48 PM