TMZ: Rosie to announce tomorrow that she’s leaving “The View;” Update: ABC confirms

posted at 11:49 pm on April 24, 2007 by Allahpundit

75% of my content, up in smoke. I’m a wreck.

Assuming it’s true, what do you think — did she jump or was she pushed? And if the latter, why did Barbara push her?

Update: Life has no meaning anymore.

Rosie O’Donnell’s stormy tenure on “The View” will be a short one. ABC said Wednesday it was unable to agree on a contract with the opinionated host, and she’ll leave the show in June.

O’Donnell said in a statement that “my needs for the future just didn’t dovetail with what ABC was able to offer me.”

Update: ABC is reporting it now, too. Via Matt Sheffield of Newsbusters:

The president of daytime programming for the Disney-ABC Television Group, Brian Frons, told ABCNEWS.com, “Going in we knew we would have an amazing year with her, and that anything beyond that would be gravy. But we were willing to take the chance because we understood what a coup it was to entice Ro back to daytime television. So here we are a year later, and while we’ve tried to come to terms on a deal that would extend her co-hosting duties on ‘The View,’ we find ourselves unable to agree on some key elements.”…

O’Donnell said: “This has been an amazing experience, and one I wouldn’t have traded for the world. Working with Barbara, Joy and Elisabeth has been one of the highlights of my career, but my needs for the future just didn’t dovetail with what ABC was able to offer me. To all the viewers out there, I just want to say ‘thank you’ for opening up your hearts and your homes to me this past year. But you can always find me at rosie.com. Here’s hoping there’s more confetti for all of us going forward.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I can’t believe that a major network would give her a show all to herself. It would be like an Air America talk show.

WisCon on April 25, 2007 at 8:32 AM

There are 3 shows like this on each night now at 6:00pm. The CBS, NBC and ABC network evening news.

BacaDog on April 25, 2007 at 8:51 AM

Not so fast, it ain’t over till the Fat Lady sings.

Buzzy on April 25, 2007 at 9:01 AM

Hannity is replacing Combs with Rosie…done deal….

jimwesty on April 25, 2007 at 9:01 AM

Eat me.

It takes a village to eat Rosie O’Donnell.

saint kansas on April 25, 2007 at 9:08 AM

Egads. My fear is hotair will turn its attention to (gasp) Bill Maher or someone equally vile. Bah.

CrimsonFisted on April 25, 2007 at 9:11 AM

WisCon on April 25, 2007 at 8:32 AM

BacaDog on April 25, 2007 at 8:51 AM

The evening news is one thing, the kind of lunacy that Rosie brings to the table is something entirely different. Her quip about there being 5 Catholics on the Supreme Court somehow violates the separation of church and state was absolute idiocy.

WisCon on April 25, 2007 at 9:12 AM

The annual luncheon of N.Y. Women in Communications – which honored Cindy Adams, Meredith Vieira, Joan Didion, Susan Lyne, Arianna Huffington and Lisa Caputo…featured…Joy Behar, Nora Ephron, Martha Stewart and Sen. Hillary Clinton.

Celebrate Diversity!

saint kansas on April 25, 2007 at 9:13 AM

Celebrate Diversity!

saint kansas on April 25, 2007 at 9:13 AM

Right. The only african-american in the group is Hillary.

BacaDog on April 25, 2007 at 9:18 AM

Not so fast, it ain’t over till the Fat Lady sings.

Buzzy on April 25, 2007 at 9:01 AM

Ha ha! Quite true. Only thing… as a musician, I can say that, as grating as Rosie’s normal voice is, the LAST thing I EVER want to hear is Rosie singing.

Assuming we do get a swan song from the fat lady, I’ll miss the entertainment value, but I won’t miss all the misleading that Rosie’s mere presence on The View allows. Note, for instance, the applause when she dropped her bomb about 9/11. People willingly believed it and applauded! If crap like that loses its voice, then maybe there’s a chance that truth can have a voice again.

As for her replacement, let’s see… Democrat credentials required. Lesbianism is a plus. Tammy Bruce, anyone? Nah, they’d never go for it, but they’d certainly have a more substantive show if they would.

flutejpl on April 25, 2007 at 9:19 AM

No doubt in my mind she jumped. The View has given her buckets of publicity, enough to get lots of high-paying gigs for a year or two. I’m sure her agent was begging her to hit the road again.

Meanwhile, who’s going to be watching the View in a few weeks. Even if they bring in another left wing nut, it’s going to be a Rosie wanna be (ugh!).

doufree on April 25, 2007 at 9:20 AM

From the article about her hosting duties the other night:

Also on hand were 17 sweet-faced high school girls who won scholarships to pursue their dreams of careers in media.

Very charming. Rosie may have created some right-wing media types.

In terms of Hasselbeck, I give her a pass in terms of shutting Rosie up. Rosie would just bellow louder and longer. I don’t see any scenario where Rosie’s opinions would suddenly be changed on air by any brilliant argument proving her wrong and she admits she was wrong.

Along those lines, if Rosie does get her own show, do any of you think she’s suddenly going to be having one on one intelligent political discussions with people that disagree with her? Her show will include only those that fall near inline with her opinions. And what correct minded individual is going to want to be on Rosie’s show anyway?

At this point, she can no longer be the family friendly, non-political, funny lesbian. Even if she could, Ellen now owns that market.

AP, you’ve shown Rosie upside down and in leather. If you have any pictures of her in schoolgirl uniforms or French maid outfits, you’d better use them soon.

Canadian Infidel on April 25, 2007 at 9:24 AM

Among those in the crowd were Judith Giuliani, her predecessor Donna Hanover . . .

Her predecessor? Is that what you call a previous wife these days?

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on April 25, 2007 at 9:31 AM

Could Rosie be taking over the ‘Imus in Morning Show?’

Wade on April 25, 2007 at 9:37 AM

Does that mean Judith is headed for ‘The Vagina Monologues?’

Wade on April 25, 2007 at 9:39 AM

She will have her own show called “The Rosie View of Life.” It will consist of blaming Bush for all evil. She will blame
Bush for everything from her being a huge moron, to her leaving the View.
Hasselbeck can never defend Republicans/conservatives/ Christians. She is too weak.
I’d like to see our version of the View with MM, Ann Coulter, Debbie Schlussel, and me. OMG–the ratings! The fun! We could have guests like Rosie and then ambush them. Payback. What fun!

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on April 25, 2007 at 9:42 AM

And after writing that, we have Michelle in her cheerleader’s outfit for today’s Vent. Thank you for replacing the ugliness with beauty. Hot Air rules.

Canadian Infidel on April 25, 2007 at 9:43 AM

What EVAH will we do with no bloated pus bag pinata??

Ideas???

seejanemom on April 25, 2007 at 9:56 AM

TMZ confirms.

75% of my content, up in smoke. I’m a wreck.

LOL Allah. Lorie Byrd had a great suggestion last night in her post at Wizbang. She thought Rosie would fit in well on Keith Olbermann’s show. If she did do that, your content percentage would increase dramatically ;)

SisterToldjah on April 25, 2007 at 10:04 AM

Sure didn’t work with Dick.

honora on April 25, 2007 at 8:28 AM

honora, is that a lesbian joke?

Jaibones on April 25, 2007 at 10:04 AM

Don’t despair, Duck–Barnum proved that significant numbers of people will be entertained by nearly anything

Janos Hunyadi on April 25, 2007 at 1:31 AM

Heh. We prove it every day…

Jaibones on April 25, 2007 at 10:06 AM

I’m a little lost here.

What’s “The View”?

daveintexas on April 25, 2007 at 10:14 AM

Official from ABC, she’s gone in June!!!!!!

P. James Moriarty on April 25, 2007 at 10:18 AM

There is a God…and He answers prayer!
Hallelujah!

Jen the Neocon on April 25, 2007 at 10:24 AM

First Sanjaya. Now, Rosie? Olby, look out, you’re next!

Nethicus on April 25, 2007 at 10:26 AM

Oh, and I hear they’re going to replace Rosie with a more moderate voice.

Harry Belafonte.

Nethicus on April 25, 2007 at 10:27 AM

I’m with you AP. I’m kind of going to miss her.

Having Rosie around is like driving down the most dangerous stretch of road every day. You just know there’s gonna be a wreck you can rubberneck if you just keep looking.

BacaDog on April 25, 2007 at 10:27 AM

In light of this news, I think it’d be cool to see a ‘farewell’ compilation video of sorts that includes some of Rosie’ O’s more ‘infamous moments’ — whatcha say, Allah? :-D

SisterToldjah on April 25, 2007 at 10:27 AM

Oh, great.

Where am I going to go for my big bucket o’ crazy now?

Slublog on April 25, 2007 at 10:27 AM

First Sanjaya. Now, Rosie? Olby, look out, you’re next!

Maybe they’ll replace Rosie with Sanjaya!

amerpundit on April 25, 2007 at 10:28 AM

75% of my content, up in smoke. I’m a wreck.

Maybe we can get back to some of the meatier stuff you used to post before Rosie became an obsession at Hot Air.

Not that I dislike slamming Rosie, but sometimes we just gotta move on.

Lawrence on April 25, 2007 at 10:32 AM

Allah,

My deepest condolences on your loss.

a4g on April 25, 2007 at 10:32 AM

Rosie has performed right on cue, she’s been a known quantity for a long time and she is just as out of control on the View as she has in clubs or anywhere else.

Who or why was she hired for the View to begin with?

Speakup on April 25, 2007 at 10:32 AM

Where am I going to go for my big bucket o’ crazy now?

Slublog on April 25, 2007 at 10:27 AM

Heh.

SisterToldjah on April 25, 2007 at 10:35 AM

Peace, Rosie.

Ian on April 25, 2007 at 10:35 AM

Heh.
SisterToldjah on April 25, 2007 at 10:35 AM

Okay, maybe a little less crazy than that. Olby is a whole new level of crazy. He’s what crazy wants to be when it grows up.

Slublog on April 25, 2007 at 10:39 AM

Take heart Allah, maybe she’ll be replaced by Sheryl Crow and your life of easy blogging will be restored!

Ann on April 25, 2007 at 10:40 AM

ABC’s health plan doesn’t cover intensive psychotherapy?

saint kansas on April 25, 2007 at 10:44 AM

The “BIG QUESTION” now is, Who is going to replace Rosie?

I vote for Mary Katherine Hamm.

wearyman on April 25, 2007 at 10:45 AM

I’ve had “Tears on my Pillow” stuck in my head for the last hour, and couldn’t figure out where it came from. Thanks a bunch.

What’s Shannen Doherty doing, lately? She’s cute and personable, and she’s a Republican. She’d be a good replacement.

Tanya on April 25, 2007 at 10:48 AM

I vote for Mary Katherine Hamm.

wearyman on April 25, 2007 at 10:45 AM

Better not spell her name with an “e”, wearyman.

BacaDog on April 25, 2007 at 10:50 AM

I vote for Mary Katherine Hamm.

wearyman on April 25, 2007 at 10:45 AM

I don’t think anyone who’s currently doing hard news could handle The View.

They’d be good in the current events section, but the whole show isn’t like that. About the third time they had to say “If you put Timmy’s juice box in the freezer, it’ll still be cold at lunchtime” their heads would explode.

Tanya on April 25, 2007 at 10:51 AM

Pain in my heart caused by Ro-o-o-o…

We’re going to get to the replacement question soon enough. Don’t they need another fringe liberal to properly replace Rosie, though?

Allahpundit on April 25, 2007 at 10:52 AM

Comes a moonbat…

Slublog on April 25, 2007 at 10:54 AM

Don’t they need another fringe liberal to properly replace Rosie, though?

Need? Want, probably.

Tanya on April 25, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Here’s hoping there’s more confetti for all of us going forward.

And pork gravy.

benrand on April 25, 2007 at 10:57 AM

We all know that “we could not reach an agreement with her for a second year” is code for “Karl Rove threatened to kill me if I didn’t remove her… I got the phone call right after Rosie raised the question about WTC 7 and used her metallurgical skills to suggest that steel cannot be melted by fire.”

Of course, Rosie’s departure from The View was predicted right here by Another Rovian Conspiracy.

Coincidence? Is there such as thing as a coincidence?

stwendeler on April 25, 2007 at 10:58 AM

What really irks me is the fact that ABC was apparently eager to sign her to a new three year renewal. All the crap that she spews, and they’re as pleased as punch.

Kensington on April 25, 2007 at 10:59 AM

Pain in my heart caused by Ro-o-o-o…

LOL. Classic.

BacaDog on April 25, 2007 at 10:59 AM

Comes a moonbat…

Slublog on April 25, 2007 at 10:54 AM

Batty as she is, she’ll always have a tiny place in my heart, for doing Rocky Horror. I can’t see her doing TV, though — she has eight movies coming out.

Tanya on April 25, 2007 at 10:59 AM

Anyone else think Janeane Giraffealo gets the replacement nod?

Maybe Jessica Lange. Oy.

Kensington on April 25, 2007 at 11:01 AM

If ever a post deserved the “Heartache” tagline, this was it

Dudley Smith on April 25, 2007 at 11:02 AM

When Allah puts her resignation clip up, notice how she pre-empts the AWWWWW from the audience that was not going to happen anyway.

Valiant on April 25, 2007 at 11:03 AM

Rocky Horror scarred me for life.

But you can use it to get “Tears on My Pillow” out of your head.

I was feeling done in…couldn’t win…

Slublog on April 25, 2007 at 11:04 AM

She wasn’t “fired” by ABC, per se.

She didn’t quit either.

ABC is letting her contract lapse and not renewing it. ABC got the message from people offended by her and I’m guessing that her contract with ABC had a penalty for early termination under this circumstance. Or maybe ABC wants to milk her presence for another two months. Clearly, all the folderol about “her needs didn’t dovetail with ABC’s” is BS.

I also have no doubt that her behavior at the Matrix awards was not the cause of this, but the result of this. No doubt, she was aware her contract wouldn’t be renewed by ABC, so what did she have to lose? Let “Rosie be Rosie.”

As for another show. That is NOT going to happen either, at least on broadcast TV. Maybe cable. She’s radioactive right now and any producer working for the Big Three who touches her will get poisoned in the process.

My 2 cents.

georgej on April 25, 2007 at 11:05 AM

Bob Leibowitz suggested that Rosie replace Katie Couric, should the rumors about Katie being unpopular at CBS be true. Maybe they could switch places?

SisterToldjah on April 25, 2007 at 11:06 AM

No tears on Allah’s pillow until the end of June. Her mouth will go out like a villain in an action movie-dragging it out to the very end.

Valiant on April 25, 2007 at 11:10 AM

She’ll be replaced by another famous Hollywood liberal woman…

Richard Simmons

Mojave Mark on April 25, 2007 at 1:26 AM

Simmons and Behar! Oy!

In all seriousness…wait…let me wipe the tears from my eyes first. Ok, better.

My bets are on Whoopi Goldberg as a replacement, probably temporary, though.

Any takers?

kiakjones on April 25, 2007 at 11:19 AM

Good comments all.However,I’m curious who the next token fat chic is gonna be.

spazzmomma on April 25, 2007 at 11:20 AM

She will do just fine without ‘the View’. Charmin’s new ad campaign, ‘for the Rosie in all of us’, will make her richer then Bill Gates.

Limerick on April 25, 2007 at 11:22 AM

Now Captain Ahab will have to start his hunt all over again in a new ocean.

Lehosh on April 25, 2007 at 11:22 AM

75% of my content, up in smoke. I’m a wreck.

Perhaps you should adopt religion? :)

PRCalDude on April 25, 2007 at 11:25 AM

Has anyone talked AP off the ledge yet?

lorien1973 on April 25, 2007 at 11:27 AM

Perhaps you should adopt religion? :)

PRCalDude on April 25, 2007 at 11:25 AM

My guess is that AP takes this as proof that there is no god. ;)

lorien1973 on April 25, 2007 at 11:28 AM

My guess is that AP takes this as proof that there is no god. ;)

lorien1973 on April 25, 2007 at 11:28 AM

Heheh.

PRCalDude on April 25, 2007 at 11:30 AM

BREAKING

The Dow Jones industrials broke the 13000 mark today led by Old Milwaukee Brewers & Frito Lay on the news that Rosie O’Donnel is leaving her day job at The View.

CAD Daddy on April 25, 2007 at 11:34 AM

Good comments all.However,I’m curious who the next token fat chic is gonna be.

Would anyone even notice if they replaced her with Camryn Manheim?

Kensington on April 25, 2007 at 11:37 AM

Hold on a second! Let me take a second crack at guessing Rosie’s replacement.

Margaret Cho

I love the smell of irony in the morning.

kiakjones on April 25, 2007 at 11:40 AM

Margaret Cho

Oh, you are just evil.

Slublog on April 25, 2007 at 11:47 AM

I vote for Helen Thomas. Just as looney sans the swear words & harder on the eyes.

CAD Daddy on April 25, 2007 at 11:58 AM

Her show gone, the magazine gone?, K-Mart fired her, one port of entry denied for her lesbian/homsexual cruise, and now this.

allie on April 25, 2007 at 11:59 AM

Margaret Cho

Ching chong ching chong!

Rosie cares about the plight of the Chinese in America…or whatever the hell Margaret Cho is. Ching chong!

saint kansas on April 25, 2007 at 12:43 PM

Oh, forgot to add the Boygeorge play to her list of business bombs.

allie on April 25, 2007 at 12:44 PM

I think Margaret Cho is of Korean decent.

allie on April 25, 2007 at 12:45 PM

I love celebrities. Rosie’s “needs for the future can’t be met” by 10 million next year, meanhwile we are all supposed to use 1 square!

Resolute on April 25, 2007 at 7:03 PM

ROSIE LEAVING THE SPEW.
Baaahahahahaha…
Maybe she get on at Al Jezzera.

byteshredder on April 25, 2007 at 7:08 PM

Not soon enough. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

geo11 on April 25, 2007 at 9:14 PM