Google’s global warming Earth Day logo

posted at 5:20 pm on April 22, 2007 by Ian

Google is making a statement in it’s 2007 Earth Day logo:

earthday07.gif

What does it look like? An iceberg melting.

(h/t Noel)

Comments

Bad science, the religion of the left.

Zorro on April 22, 2007 at 5:28 PM

Noticed that this morning. Yawned, shrugged, went about my day.

JammieWearingFool on April 22, 2007 at 5:31 PM

Yet they can never create a special logo for Memorial Day or any other day that celebrates an American soldier!

Warner Todd Huston on April 22, 2007 at 5:34 PM

What did you expect with ALGORE on their Board of Directors.

Helloyawl on April 22, 2007 at 5:37 PM

Maybe that logo is just Google feeling the heat from buying Youtube for billions and getting sued for it.

William Amos on April 22, 2007 at 5:38 PM

I use dogpile and icerocket.

robblefarian on April 22, 2007 at 5:41 PM

Don’t forget Google’s motto:

Don’t be evil.

Merovign on April 22, 2007 at 5:44 PM

What, no stranded polar bears?

WisCon on April 22, 2007 at 5:47 PM

I noticed the logo today and I thought it might be a reference to this story about the unusually heavy pack ice finally breaking up off the Canadian coast.

forest on April 22, 2007 at 5:50 PM

Happy Lenin’s birthday everyone…. LOL

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on April 22, 2007 at 6:13 PM

Looks like they are warning us against global cooling. A new ice age warning by the elite was all the rage in the ’70s.

Valiant on April 22, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Eh, must be a slow weekend for conservative outrage when this is in the headlines.

JaHerer22 on April 22, 2007 at 6:22 PM

I’ve been using IceRocket and GoodSearch, which you can use to direct donations to the cause of your choice.

saint kansas on April 22, 2007 at 6:25 PM

I’m just curious …. in a few decades when the “global warming” silliness ends up like the Y2K bug and the “population explosion” and every other laughable piece of Chicken Little hyperbolic goofiness … will any of these people be apologizing? Admitting they made a boo-boo?

Or will they just be moving on to the next great catastrophe by then?

I’m guessing nobody will mention. I assume it’ll show up on VH-1′s “I love the 00′s” though. Bet our kids will think its hilarious.

Professor Blather on April 22, 2007 at 6:28 PM

JaHerer22 on April 22, 2007 at 6:22 PM

I’d ask you to point to, you know, any actual “outrage,” but then I realize that intellectual honesty is not your style. You just make up whatever silly strawman suits your adolescent moods.

Outrage? Hardly. Amusement? Sure. Boredom? Definitely.

Try harder next time, Skippy.

Professor Blather on April 22, 2007 at 6:30 PM

I’m waiting for the ice cube lapel ribbon that melts and leaves a stain on your suit during the next award show love fest, that way everyone will know that “you care”…..

PinkyBigglesworth on April 22, 2007 at 6:43 PM

I get a kick out of this. Humankind had, over the course of thousands of years, developed the scientific method to advance society and civilization. Then, when they don’t get the results they want, they throw it out and replace it with a show of hands!

Any scientists in the room want funding for their pet projects? Bear in mind the Democrats now control Congressional funding! So, is Global Warming real? Hands?

stonemeister on April 22, 2007 at 7:00 PM

WisCon on April 22, 2007 at 5:47 PM

lol! I don’t know why, but that comment really hit my funnybone.

JinxMcHue on April 22, 2007 at 7:06 PM

JaHerer22 on April 22, 2007 at 6:22 PM

I’m not outraged – I’m amused because it looks like C o n d i rising from an iceberg.

And they say conservatives are humorless…

Entelechy on April 22, 2007 at 7:27 PM

So, what they’re saying, is that global warming results in Google?!?!

Doghouse on April 22, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Is that melting iceberg associated with our ice caps or the ones on Mars? Both are melting somewhat; suggests the – uh- SUN might have something to do with it?

Mike O on April 22, 2007 at 7:41 PM

Maybe they are hinting toward their own value. The Google stock Titanic is about to hit the iceberg???

LegendHasIt on April 22, 2007 at 7:47 PM

>2007 Earth Day

Well, I’m celebrating “Industrial Revolution Day.”

If you like having electricity, a car, a TV, a refrigerator, access to a wide variety of fresh food, an electric guitar and amplifiers, a modern home, a computer, air conditioning, modern medicine, a CD player, hot running water, the ability to travel quickly between states or countries, grocery stores, shelves full of books, a work day shorter than 12 hours, a lifespan of more than 40 years, or any of the multitude of modern conveniences that developed nations enjoy, you can thank the Industrial Revolution.

Mother Gaia didn’t do that for you. Factories did.

Doghouse on April 22, 2007 at 7:53 PM

Professor Blather on April 22, 2007 at 6:28 PM

You’re right that nobody will mention it, and I don’t have to guess to know that, just look at history. This is the FOURTH climate change scare – the first was in 1895 when the New York Times hyped the upcoming ice age. Around the 1930s when they caught on to the idea that the earth wasn’t going to freeze over, they switched to warming, which held up until about the 50s, then they switched to cooling in the 70s and now back to warming. By the time my teenage daughter has teenagers of her own, they’ll be hyping cooling again.

Laura on April 22, 2007 at 9:37 PM

Are the brains at Google aware that an iceberg is already displacing water?
The North Pole ice pack is already in the water. If it all melted, along with any free-floating icebergs, then the sea level would actually drop slightly. Experiment with your next scotch on the rocks or for the tee-totalers, coke and ice.
If all the ice in the world melted, that would actually increase the total above water land mass world-wide. The low-lying areas, like the glacial junk piles of Florida and Long Island, which are unstable sand anyway, would indeed submerge, but the entire continent of Antarctica, which more than makes up for the any total loss, would become habitable.
That’s using their scenario.
Reality is, if it’s negative 100 degrees F in Antartica and in the Artic during winters, because, we can’t move the sun, then even a fifty degree increase won’t change the fact that the places are frozen solid at -50. Haven’t seen any computer modelling that dares use that kind of increase.
ANyone notice that Yahoo! is pushing wind power on their logo? How about some chopped up Bald Eagles to go with it?

naliaka on April 22, 2007 at 10:12 PM

Thanks for explaining that Ian. I was racking my brain on that one. (lol)

auspatriotman on April 22, 2007 at 11:15 PM

Earth Day – my 1st grader has been talking about this at school ALL WEEK, and ALL THIS WEEK. We have to grill her every night about what she’s learned. So far nothing too bad, but if they even mention global warming, I’m yanking her. Any one have any homeschool books?

ritemama on April 23, 2007 at 8:41 AM

ritemama, we’ve been homeschooling my teenager for several years now and we love it. Aside from control of the curriculum, it’s great to have control of her time. No punks in the classroom taking up class time with misbehavior, no time wasted between classes, and no hours of busywork/homework at the end of the day. She starts at 9, is finished everything by 1 or 2 and her test scores are in the top percentiles. Email me if you’re serious about homeschooling and if you have questions about it.

Laura on April 23, 2007 at 9:28 AM

Having saved all of Earth’s oceans from certain death, Ted Danson has taken a well-deserved break from world-saving.

saint kansas on April 23, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Are the brains at Google aware that an iceberg is already displacing water?
naliaka on April 22, 2007 at 10:12 PM

The issue is the possibility of ice that is currently on land breaking off and melting in the ocean and of the overall ocean temp rising. At least that’s my understanding.

honora on April 23, 2007 at 1:44 PM

Interesting piece on Rachel Carson this weekend on Sunday Morning. She was roundly criticized by the chemical industry for her warnings re pesticides. Deja vu anyone?

honora on April 23, 2007 at 1:47 PM