Video: MoveOn’s dishonest anti-McCain ad; Update: “Lighten up and get a life”

posted at 2:38 pm on April 20, 2007 by Allahpundit

If the right tried to make something like this out of an obvious joke — and I hate to be the one to break it to the nutroots, but Kerry’s little Iraq musing wasn’t obviously a joke (that was the whole problem) — the pretty vicious rants and important action alerts would issue forth like a mighty river. But it’s Maverick, and he’s not sounding nearly so maverick these days as he once did, and so for that he must be punished.

Money quote: “Now comes John McCain with his answer to what we should do about Iran.” Except bombing isn’t his answer. As he said last January and then again in December, the military option is the last, worst option there is — short of Iran actually getting the bomb, of course. Which, incidentally, puts his position on Iran exactly in line with this tool’s:

edwards-silly2.jpg

Update (Ian): Of the questions McCain fielded in Las Vegas yesterday, the big topic was his “Bomb Iran” joke. One reporter, whom you could classify as a critic, asked, “You don’t think it was insensitive?” McCain’s response was classic: “Insensitive to what? The Iranians? Heh. My response is lighten up and get a life.”

Comments

I don’t feel quite as much apathy toward him now.

I guess that’s a good thing.

James on April 20, 2007 at 2:41 PM

the straight talk express is a good train; sometimes.

lorien1973 on April 20, 2007 at 2:42 PM

I liked his response– straight talk, which is refreshing.

morganfrost on April 20, 2007 at 2:43 PM

I too liked the response!

Kini on April 20, 2007 at 2:49 PM

I just like seeing Republicans giving it back…

unamused on April 20, 2007 at 2:49 PM

I just like seeing Republicans giving it back…

It’s about flippin’ time!

TheBigOldDog on April 20, 2007 at 2:53 PM

I remember that song from 1979 – Vince Vance and the Valients. Strangely that song has been in my head recently.

Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, Iran.
Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, BOMB IRAN!
Let’s take a stand, bomb Iran.
Our country’s got a feelin’
Really hit the ceilin’, bomb Iran.
Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran.
Went to a mosque, gonna throw some rocks.
Tell the Ayatollah…”Gonna put you in a box!”

Ahh childhood under Carter – scary memories really.

DrM2B on April 20, 2007 at 2:53 PM

Insensitive?? When was the last time anyone in the press asked the Iranians if they thought their hate-filled rhetoric was “insensitive”?

Rick on April 20, 2007 at 2:53 PM

The Edward’s shot is priceless…

Topsecretk9 on April 20, 2007 at 2:54 PM

Here’s the lyrics link

DrM2B on April 20, 2007 at 2:55 PM

When I first heard about the original “Bomb Iran” quote, I thought it seemed pretty reckless, until I actually VIEWED it, and realized how innocuous it was, and how many in the Left are making a huge deal over nothing.

Another commenter on another Hot Air board used the term “professional heckler” to describe the press corps. That’s a PERFECT description as far as I’m concerned, and that woman in the press who made the “insensitive” comment is just heckling, and not asking questions.

asc85 on April 20, 2007 at 2:56 PM

I don’t really like McCain, but I’m glad he’s refusing to bend over let the drive-by media give it to him prison-style, like they did with Imus.

Mindcrime on April 20, 2007 at 2:56 PM

The obvious irony is that we didn’t bomb Iran in 1979 and now they’re in a position to get “the bomb”.

Nethicus on April 20, 2007 at 2:56 PM

The Edward’s shot is priceless…

Topsecretk9 on April 20, 2007 at 2:54 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Allah, you have to use that one everytime on the Silky threads. It’s hilarious.

Rick on April 20, 2007 at 2:58 PM

Hey I’ve been singing this tune since 1979…

Gwillie on April 20, 2007 at 3:00 PM

Well, it is begging to be taken out of context.
His response is beautiful, though. Insensitive? Did he hurt the Ayatollah’s feelings?

SouthernDem on April 20, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Straight talk scares the crap out of Libs almost as much as the Sign of the Cross! RUN FRED RUN

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on April 20, 2007 at 3:09 PM

This actually made me like McCain a little bit.

bj1126 on April 20, 2007 at 3:09 PM

The last few weeks McCain is starting to grow on me with his comment about he’d rather lose the campaign then the war and now this—wow, straight talk express indeed. I think it’s funny though how the libs reacted in their usual condescending fashion.
Love the Edwards shot as well.

Catie96706 on April 20, 2007 at 3:10 PM

Well, it is begging to be taken out of context.
SouthernDem on April 20, 2007 at 3:01 PM

We can certainly hope so!! It’s great that it’s got liberals in a tizzy, but if it offends Assahollah then all the better.

thirteen28 on April 20, 2007 at 3:12 PM

Dang! I hate it when something makes me like McCain. Not that I’d ever vote for him — but way to go Senator! I wish the press received more answers like that to their stupid questions.

wytammic on April 20, 2007 at 3:13 PM

wytammic on April 20, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Ditto. No fan of McVain myself, but I love his response on this one.

“Lighten up and get a life”

Perfect, John.

Why couldn’t you have been this way all along?

thirteen28 on April 20, 2007 at 3:17 PM

This is all a gimmick to resuscitate McCain. The libs now realize they must feign opposition to McCain to give him any chance at all.

Perchant on April 20, 2007 at 3:24 PM

Why couldn’t you have been this way all along?

thirteen28 on April 20, 2007 at 3:17 PM

Cause he’s the “Maverick”

Rick on April 20, 2007 at 3:28 PM

Your stock is rising again “Number 3″…

CliffHanger on April 20, 2007 at 3:37 PM

OK, well I dislike him a little less…

Insensitive? To who, Ahmacrazyguy and the Mullahs? I think we should send that assclown to Iran and ask the regime if they think their calls to wipe Israel off the map and daily barrage of antiSemitic and anti-American propaganda are insensitive.

Bad Candy on April 20, 2007 at 3:40 PM

*smile*

Rightwingsparkle on April 20, 2007 at 3:42 PM

heh, I am not a McCain fan, but I like the get a life quote. methinks he has been watching Fred! and may realize that much of Freds! appeal is the straight talk.

With that said, Fred! still has my vote

Wyrd on April 20, 2007 at 3:44 PM

*smile*

Rightwingsparkle on April 20, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Heh, bout what I figured you’d say RWS…

Bad Candy on April 20, 2007 at 3:47 PM

This is the same phony hysteria the media used when Reagan said of the Soviets that the bombs will start dropping in any minute. Or something like that. It’s pure BS.

As for McCain, I knew Reagan and sir, you are no Reagan.

pistolero on April 20, 2007 at 3:54 PM

President: Fred Thompson
Vice President: Mitt Romney
Attorney General: Rudy Giuliani
Secretary of Defense: John McCain

TheBigOldDog on April 20, 2007 at 4:07 PM

*Looke around nervously, then speaks up*

In 2000 I was a McCain man until W took the nomination.

While I do not agree with all of his positions, he is a reliable conservative and I respect what he has done for America.

I balance that against the abomination that is McCain/Feingold and I would accept him as Rudy’s VP, but not for the top spot.

The libs smell blood in the water, we will see more and more of this crap.

We need to fight fire with nuclear fire.

Start defending our own and goin after theirs even harder.

JayHaw Phrenzie on April 20, 2007 at 4:18 PM

Here’s the problem, McCain was joking so no one should be pissed… except for joke writers. That’s like a joke I might make to a friend, with the intention of making a lame joke but pretending it was supposed to be really funny (similar to the other day when I pretended to be pissed at commenter Buck Turgidson and called him “Turd Buckingson”). It’s just stupid.

RightWinged on April 20, 2007 at 4:25 PM

Little Ahmadinejad is indignant.

Entelechy on April 20, 2007 at 4:30 PM

(chirp, chirp) Nope..still not interested… McCain lost me and will never get me back. Not even with a full-orchestral version of BOMB IRAN.

tickleddragon on April 20, 2007 at 4:54 PM

Oh, and just for you, amerpundit…

FRED! 2008.

(*grin*: forgive me, Friend, I couldn’t resist. Love ya, mean it!)

tickleddragon on April 20, 2007 at 4:56 PM

couldn’t.care.less.

screw the RINO and the donkey he rode in on!

SilverStar830 on April 20, 2007 at 5:03 PM

LOL….Love it, SilverStar830!

tickleddragon on April 20, 2007 at 6:23 PM

This could be the start of a beautiful friendship.

Someone finally didn’t flub a joke.

Hening on April 20, 2007 at 7:45 PM

Be careful about comparing McCain and Reagan. McCain was a Navy combat pilot who served in Vietnam and spent years in a P.O.W. prison, enduring real torture. His war story is an inspiration. And Reagan’s war record was . . . ?

I think McCain deserves another chance with everyone to make his case. He knows military, national security and war on terror issues better than anyone in the presdential race or about to be in the race; his criticisms of post-invasion strategy in Iraq proved to be correct; and he is now the most eloquent and clear voice in support of the our naiton’s efforts in Iraq. Also, John McCain is pro-life; his books on courage and character are gems; he is a fiscakl conservative, tough on spending; he has pledged (to the Federalist Society) to nominate traditionalist judges to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Phil Byler on April 20, 2007 at 9:46 PM

McCain is sort of the Jack Ryan type.

- The Cat

MirCat on April 20, 2007 at 11:32 PM

And Reagan’s war record was . . . ?

Phil Byler on April 20, 2007 at 9:46 PM

Ronald Reagan’s Military service: US Army Air Corps (Captain, 1942-45)

We should honor both men for their service to this country, both in the Military and outside.

Entelechy on April 20, 2007 at 11:43 PM

FINALLY-a version of ‘that song’ that I actually LIKE.
My husband told me about it this eve.
My real name’s Barbara. You can understand why certain songs might make me a bit postal.
lol

annoyinglittletwerp on April 21, 2007 at 1:59 AM

At the 20 second mark… Isn’t that a BMP? American forces (to which the entire video seems to be anchored around) don’t actually use them, correct me if I’m wrong. Maybe the Iraqis still do, but the most striking images of burning BMPs was from an entirely different war..

Reaps on April 21, 2007 at 3:06 AM

His name is “Imadipwad”

Not “Adahmadinejad” or however the hell you spell it….

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on April 21, 2007 at 12:43 PM

President: Fred Thompson
Vice President: Mitt Romney
Attorney General: Rudy Giuliani
Secretary of Defense: John McCain

TheBigOldDog on April 20, 2007 at 4:07 PM

WOW! Talk about a dream team.

sonnyspats1 on April 21, 2007 at 3:23 PM