The case of the hateful ham

posted at 10:40 am on April 20, 2007 by Bryan

Takeaway: This is where “hate crimes” legislation gets us. Second takeaway: This is where the inherent and credible threat of violence gets Muslims.

LEWISTON – One student has been suspended and more disciplinary action could follow a possible hate crime at Lewiston Middle School, Superintendent Leon Levesque said Wednesday.

On April 11, a white student placed a ham steak in a bag on a lunch table where Somali students were eating. Muslims consider pork unclean and offensive.

The act reminded students of a man who threw a pig’s head into a Lewiston mosque last summer.

The school incident is being treated seriously as “a hate incident,” Levesque said. Lewiston police are investigating, and the Center for the Prevention of Hate Violence is working with the school to create a response plan.

This incident didn’t happen in a vacuum. Last August, a man rolled a pig’s head into a Somali mosque in Lewiston. But prior to that, according to a commenter on the SunJournal site reacting to this story, Somalis attacked apartments and cars with acid (apparently the SunJournal didn’t report on that, because I can’t find a story about it–it either didn’t happen or it’s down the media memory hole). And prior to that, white supremacists paraded around and acted like fools over the arrival of the Somalis. The mayor of Lewiston asked Somalis to stop moving to town 5 years ago, because their swift influx was maxing out the city’s resources. CAIR has been hovering over the situation the whole time. But note out of all of this behavior, the only group that actually got violent was within the Somali community (and that’s also the hardest to find any reportage of). White supremacists have been irrelevantly ranting for years. Kids have been mean to other kids forever. Acid attacks are new though.

Surely no one pondering hate crimes legislation ever thought that a slice of ham laying on a table would ever be considered a hate crime, with suspensions, the Center for the Prevention of Violence getting involved, the works. Hate crimes legislation was originally intended to add penalties to those who commit violence for some specific racial, ethnic or sexual orientation reason. Yet here we are, enforcing penalties on children when there has been no underlying crime committed.

It seems clearer by the day that Robert Ferrigno’s novel Prayers for the Assassin, in which the US has become a land ruled by black-robed menaces wielding sharia across society, may have been prescient. Little by little, sharia law is creeping in. There are occassional pushbacks, such as in Minnesota over the Muslim cab drivers who have refused passengers 4,800 times for wanting to transport alcohol or dogs with them in taxis. But for every pushback, there’s at least one setback. The kids at Lewiston Middle School have been taught a lesson: Don’t offend Muslims, intentionally or otherwise, in any way.

These kids in that school will grow up with this incident in mind, an incident in which secular authorities bowed to religious dictates, and idiotic ones at that, and instituted de facto Islamic law in an American public school. On the flip side, the Maine Humanities Council has made sure that the Somali side of the story in Maine gets enshrined via a small state grant. Separation of church and mosque*, anyone? Or is everyone still too busy worrying about Jerry Falwell and the so-called Christianists?

* Bryan’s shooting on location at the moment but he called to ask me to note here that he meant to say “mosque and state.” (AP)

Comments

Probably save some money with bacon bits.

Rick on April 20, 2007 at 2:16 PM

Great idea!

Gregor on April 20, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Hmm, I’m hungry now – time to go eat.

I was thinking the same thing. All this ham talk has got me wanting a slice of the salty goodness.

Like fried gold.

Slublog on April 20, 2007 at 2:27 PM

We should lobby for a National Pig Day – all pig, all day.

Rick on April 20, 2007 at 2:28 PM

1. We have a 15 year old girl who teachers suspect of being raped. Her parents and “husband” insist it isn’t rape since she is “married” to the guy. The school’s lawyer (and supposedly the government lawyers) decided since she is married it isn’t statutory rape. I can’t help but ask if they would be so open to the Mormons in Colorado City…

That doesn’t work in GA. We had an incident 30 y/o female teacher married 15 y/o boy. She is doing time for statutory rape and the law as been amended to plug this little legal loophole.

LakeRuins on April 20, 2007 at 2:31 PM

If muslims aren’t supposed to be around pork, why did Keith Ellison get himself elected to this Congress?

pistolero on April 20, 2007 at 2:41 PM

Pork is also considered unclean and not to be eaten in orthodox Judaism, but you don’t hear them whining and crying about it, it’s just something to be avoided. What a contrast to the crybaby Muslims. “WAAAAA, don’t come near me with that! I kill you and put Sharia on you!”

Now ‘scuse me while I go thaw out those pork chops.

infidel4life on April 20, 2007 at 2:42 PM

if the intention was because they were muslim then yeah that’s a hate crime

Defector01 on April 20, 2007 at 12:40 PM

so by your logic, Imus should be in jail now?

sarahk on April 20, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Incidentally, if it’s so offensive for Muslims to be around pork, how does Keith Ellison justify membership in congress?

Blacklake on April 20, 2007 at 2:49 PM

But it was uncovered meat!

LakeRuins on April 20, 2007 at 1:27 PM

Meow!!!

ScottG on April 20, 2007 at 2:50 PM

so by your logic, Imus should be in jail now?

sarahk on April 20, 2007 at 2:48 PM

He didn’t commit a hate crime…but he did commit a hat crime.

James on April 20, 2007 at 2:51 PM

Huh – offensive… I actually find Somalis unlcean and offensive. After watching what they did to fellow soldiers, and those were so-called civilians – I have little regard for any Somali.

It’s impossible for me to make a distinction between the ones who were dragging the bodies through the streets, the ones cheering while it happened, or the ones who were just there to observe.

I know that makes me a bad person, but I value the life of a pig over a Somali.

reaganaut on April 20, 2007 at 3:32 PM

A logical outcome of passing so called “hate crime” laws and the government being in the social welfare business on an individual basis.

Quotas, affirmative action, special status for hate crimes it all follows the same line of thought and reaps the rewwards of its lunacy. Moonbats.

No better is the logic of entitlements and largess of government handouts. What do you receive for your generosity ….dependency and inane arguments of imagined rights.

MarkB on April 20, 2007 at 4:00 PM

Lewiston used to be a quiet, college town. Maine has a population of about one million people with many existing on minimum wage jobs. Tough climate, tough people now having to deal with a Somali welfare disaster. The NAACP has been screaming about this and calling the town leaders racist. The State is giving them jobs at L.L. Bean and the locals are out of work. Now the Arab Somali immigrants have moved in as well and there is red on red between the Muslims (and that ain’t just ham). The Arabs are used to the first group that arrived being their slaves.

This is a perfect example of how screwed up a Liberal State like Maine can get. The Governor is a professional Democratic political hack and the Republicrat Senators Snow and Collins are too busy pushing agendas in DC to give any time to the American citizens that are working hard to squeak by a living.

Let them eat ham…….

Hening on April 20, 2007 at 4:06 PM

I only eat ham that has the name of Allah tattooed on it in Arabic.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on April 20, 2007 at 4:17 PM

If Ham control is enacted and she is placed under house arrest can it be at my house. I would love to cook dinner for her every night and watch movies with her….even girlie movies.

/kidding

Tim Burton on April 20, 2007 at 4:19 PM

They’ll soon be coming for our barbeques. Second-hand babyback rib smoke in the wind is a crime against all Muslins and Al Gore.

laelaps on April 20, 2007 at 4:25 PM

/kidding

Tim Burton on April 20, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Buffalo Bill? Huh, I thought Clarice dealt with you at the end of the movie…

Bad Candy on April 20, 2007 at 4:37 PM

One of the worst fist-fights I ever witnessed aboard ship happened because of ludicrous islamic “sensitivities”.

A guy who had recently (like 2 months before) converted to islam was in the chow line at breakfast. When he asked for a breakfast roll, the chow-line worker grabbed one with his big tongs and dropped it on the guy’s plate. Apparently, he had just used the same tongs for a couple of sausages, and the muslim guy went ballistic. He threw the roll back at the line worker, screaming and swearing and hollering about “making me eat swine”. When the mess captain told him to lock it up and move along he dropped his tray, ran around to the door, and started laying into anyone in his way.

The funny part of this non-funny thing is, not long before that the same guy ate bacon, sausage and ham regularly. Somebody had really trained him in being ready to be offended. He became sub-human at that moment in time, thanks to his newfound RoP.

if the intention was because they were muslim then yeah that’s a hate crime

Defector01 on April 20, 2007 at 12:40 PM

Wow, it seems as if you really believe that. No, it’s called an insult, and is offensive if done with intent. Perhaps even hateful. Criminal? You can’t really be that ignorant.

Freelancer on April 20, 2007 at 4:41 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One): “I only eat ham that has the name of Allah tattooed on it in Arabic.”

Hmmm. I’m sensing a business opportunity here: Allah brand Ham Sandwiches. Ask for them by name. “Don’t just do lunch. Make a statement!”

And maybe a pulled pork BBQ shop named “Mecca.” And maybe some sausage biscuits in the freezer section of the grocery store called “Mohammed’s Best.”

For you gardeners, there could be fifty pound bags of “Koran” brand fertilizer.

Tantor on April 20, 2007 at 5:04 PM

Here’s a note. When the press quotes a crime they always classify race by actually saying mention the perp is white. When a non white commits a crime they never refer to the race ever. Intead to used generic terms such as a “youth”, “suspect”, or “assailant”. There is a huge double standard. Only whites can commit hate crimes. Wasn’t 9/11 a hate crime of extreme magnatude? Did Cho hate rich white people? MSM is trying to ferment a “Revolution” They should just come out and say it!

Egfrow on April 20, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Hey, I’m with you guys all the way on this one…but one little note:

Ayaan Hirsi Ali is Somali….so they can’t ALL be bad.

Yes, I know she bailed to Denmark, but still. Let’s go easy on the generalities.

You guys are talking about Somali immigrants…are these illegals??

tickleddragon on April 20, 2007 at 5:50 PM

You guys are talking about Somali immigrants…are these illegals??
tickleddragon on April 20, 2007 at 5:50 PM

No, from what I understand, they are legal immigrants. Some are coming straight from Somalia, others are coming from Atlanta, Georgia.

Slublog on April 20, 2007 at 6:02 PM

You guys are talking about Somali immigrants…are these illegals??

tickleddragon on April 20, 2007 at 5:50 PM

It all depends on what the definition of “illegal” is.

Gregor on April 20, 2007 at 6:15 PM

I know that makes me a bad person, but I value the life of a pig over a Somali.

reaganaut on April 20, 2007 at 3:32 PM

Even Ayaan Hirsi Ali??

tikvah on April 20, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Call me crazy, but I define “illegal” as being something that breaks the law. How do you define it?

tickleddragon on April 20, 2007 at 6:22 PM

tickleddragon on April 20, 2007 at 6:22 PM

That was a Clinton joke.

Gregor on April 20, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Yes, I know she bailed to Denmark, but still…

tickleddragon on April 20, 2007 at 5:50 PM

Small update. She immigrated to the Netherlands and was a Dutch Parliamentarian.

Entelechy on April 20, 2007 at 6:48 PM

Ayaan Hirsi Ali also denounced Islam, which is why she is under a death warrant from the jihadis and was chased out of the Dutch parliament.

LakeRuins on April 20, 2007 at 7:00 PM

This just in….Kevin Bacon has now changed his name to Kevin Blockhead in an attempt to not offend Muslims and express sensitivity to immigrants. On the other hand Mary Katherine Hamm gave em the finger.

silenced majority on April 20, 2007 at 8:07 PM

My loving wife is stirring up a shredded pork loin in her famous homemade BBQ sauce right now. I, for one, lift a glass to this particular hate crime. To swine! To life! To glory!!

HerrMorgenholz on April 20, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Muslims consider pork unclean and offensive.

Funny thing, I find certain Muslims to be unclean and offensive.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on April 20, 2007 at 8:42 PM

LakeRuins, yes, she denounced, and still does, Islam – thus, death threat.

However, she had to leave her parliament post due to lack of proof of Dutch citizenship. Today, she’s still protected here, and everywhere, by a Dutch security contingent.

Entelechy on April 20, 2007 at 8:42 PM

stevezilla, you owe me a new laptop!

kimsch on April 20, 2007 at 9:07 PM

Acid attacks are new though.

Hmmm acid attacks, now where have I heard of these. . . .I wonder if their is a connection?

Ok, show of hands. How many thought this story was going to be about something MKH said or did when you first read the headline?

*raises hand*

Benaiah on April 20, 2007 at 11:54 AM

*raises hand as well*

Yes. I guess he couldn’t just peel the ham off, it had turkey on it too. It escalated to threats after I was giving him a hard time about the initial whining tantrum.

Perchant on April 20, 2007 at 12:16 PM

I’m a vegatarian, and whenever I’ve been at an office party or whatever and there was food brought, hardly ever was vegatarianism even considered. Ya know what? I didn’t through a fit, didn’t even bring it up, I simply didn’t eat it.

What happened to “When in Rome, do as the Romans do”

Entelechy on April 20, 2007 at 1:12 PM

Well I like women exclusively, so I’ll pass.

Good Grief, it’s not a gun or a knife. It’s just meat. Get over it!

CliffHanger on April 20, 2007 at 1:25 PM

You need to watch CSI and Mythbusters more.

If that ham-hock gets raped, it is its own fault.

Kristopher on April 20, 2007 at 1:41 PM

But remeber, you can only sell it in another village.

When ham sandwiches are outlawed, only outlaws will have ham sandwiches.

Tantor on April 20, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Ham-easys?

Blacklake on April 20, 2007 at 2:49 PM

I’m going to call the outrage out now. And how another congressman will be called a bigot and called to resign when he says something to the effect of Ellison adding pork to a bill.

– The Cat

MirCat on April 20, 2007 at 10:53 PM

This kind of thing will continue. Americans will adjust to it and accept it as just another part of life. As sharia becomes entrenched and reaches into every area of American life, the will to resist will seem like a mountain too steep to climb, and speaking out against sharia will itself become a hate crime. America will decline until political correctness is recognized and denounced as the evil it is, and the Right is still too scared to do that.

Halley on April 21, 2007 at 1:39 AM

Ham on a table? Darn, I thought this story was gonna be about Katherine.

Anyway, don’t you find it a tad ironic that we conservatives long for a world where all Christians & Jews are conservative and all Muslims are liberal?

Coronagold on April 21, 2007 at 6:48 AM

It’s closer than you think.

It’s happening in Canada and Minnesota.

drjohn on April 21, 2007 at 7:56 AM

Halley on April 21, 2007 at 1:39 AM

And worse than that, conservatives riding atop their high horses and looking down their noses, will turn on other conservatives using PCness, because they want to make sure they are properly “rightous” in action in order to convert their enemies to their way of thinking. As if liberals, islamo-fascists, and swing voters care about holier-than-thou political posturing.

Don’t laugh. It has already happened! Just read a few of the responses in the comments.

csdeven on April 21, 2007 at 8:02 AM

Oh my God … ham is a hate crime. So does that make a chocoalte Jesus, the crucifix in urine and the elephant crap Virgin Mary a hate crime as well?

darwin on April 20, 2007 at 11:08 AM

No, silly darwin, that’s ART! I say we answer it with a huge statue of the prophet Mo-ham-med made of Deviled Ham.

silenced majority on April 21, 2007 at 9:59 AM

Pelosi probabley is getting a kick back for every hate crime event the pansy libs bow to! Really I would love to have been a fly on the wall at her meetings in the middle east.

sonnyspats1 on April 21, 2007 at 11:02 AM

Moonbeam: MEAT TOSSER!

PCU – A movie before it’s time

Altura Ct. on April 21, 2007 at 2:17 PM

Dr. Seuss is outraged!!

sonnyspats1 on April 21, 2007 at 3:07 PM

Moonbeam: MEAT TOSSER!

PCU – A movie before it’s time

Altura Ct. on April 21, 2007 at 2:17 PM

Don’t forget the speed bumps on the wheelchair ramps..

I love that movie.

GoodBoy on April 21, 2007 at 3:49 PM

Spam, spam, spam, spam,…………

Hening on April 21, 2007 at 6:59 PM

Taken from another website as a spoof of the article.

“Although docile in nature, the ham sandwich is the natural predator of the Muslim middle-school student, often disguising itself as a lunch item until it can get close enough to the Muslim to consume its soul.”

GoodBoy on April 25, 2007 at 5:36 AM