Breaking: NC Attorney General dismisses charges in Duke lax case; Update: Shepard Smith explodes over Nifong; Update: Wormy Duke prez acts contrite

posted at 2:40 pm on April 11, 2007 by Allahpundit

He’s speaking live now and lowering the boom on Nifong and the accuser. He actually said he believes the kids are innocent, which he didn’t at all need to do, as Ace explains.

Stand by for amazing video.

Update: The clip is uploading. Here’s the transcript while you wait.

Update: Here you go. Money: “We believe that these cases were the result of a tragic rush to accuse and a failure to verify serious allegations. Based on the significant inconsistencies between the evidence and the various accounts given by the accusing witness, we believe these three individuals are innocent of these charges.” Note the line later on, too, about caution and bravado.

The clip has been slightly edited for brevity.

Update: While this is going on, race-baiting New York Times sports columnist/liberal caricature Selena Roberts is tut-tutting Don Imus for his insensitivity.

Update: Shepard Smith is identifying the non-victim for the first time on Fox News as I write this. Needless to say, it wasn’t a big secret.

Update: Awesome.

Update: Sweet — Collin Finnerty just thanked KC Johnson for all his hard work on their behalf. The left being what it is, that work’s going to go on.

Update: Slublog forwards the statement from Duke president Richard Brodhead, who’s quick to note that he’s always presumed them innocent and not so quick to note that he didn’t think to mention that back when he was in full racial and gender damage-control mode last April.

Update: My mistake — Brodhead did nod at the possibility that the three might be innocent last April, eleven paragraphs after he started in on his Teachable Moment bilge.