Stack ‘em, Pack ‘em, and Blog ‘em: Fred on Iran

posted at 7:21 pm on April 7, 2007 by see-dubya

Fine, he can handle radio, television, movies, and live appearances (I’ve met him, it’s like shaking hands with Mount Rushmore), but can he communicate in the most challenging medium of them all: the blogosphere?

See for yourself:

Some in the West seem part of Iran’s propaganda war; claiming that the release of the hostages was a victory that proves the Iranian dictatorship can be reasoned with. To misrepresent unpunished piracy as a victory is as Orwellian as the congressional mandate banning use of the term “the global war on terror.” What are we — Reuters?

The chatty rhetorical question is a nice touch, one you wouldn’t see in a newspaper op-ed but that’s the stock in trade of the blogosphere.

I’d be interested to see someone do a comparison of the various candidates’ and near-candidates’ attempts at blogging, maybe down the road a little after they all have a few more tries at it. Not so much because it’s some essential skill, my little jest aside, but just because I’d like to see what these guys think the blogosphere is all about and how they choose to present themselves to us.

UPDATE: George Will reminds us about Fred’s record on campaign finance reform.

And the AmSpec’s Washington Prowler reminds us about George Will.

Comments

Fred is my candidate of choice…. even though he hasnt thrown his hat in the ring officially. This is just like icing on the cake.

mrfixit on April 7, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Is there a fred!.com yet?

JammieWearingFool on April 7, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Fred! Fred! Fred!

Nothing comparable has issued from the mouths of the other candidates. Fred! speaks more forcefully as a non-candidate than the others who desire the post of the free world’s leader.

It’s official! It’s now Fred! and all the rest. They might as well quit! As a man is to children, Fred! is to the rest….

ScottG on April 7, 2007 at 7:29 PM

Fred is by far the most capable, honest, clear thinking, strong, wise candidate to surface in decades. We NEED Fred to run. It brings sadness to my heart to think of the state of the nation if we have to choose – again – from one who will do the least damage as opposed to a leader of Fred’s caliber.

I wish someone would convice Fred of not only how excellent his chances of winning are, but how much the nation needs him. None of the candidates compare to Fred.

What will it take for him to run?

omegaram on April 7, 2007 at 7:34 PM

My only complaint is that he borrowed my Academy Awards gift bag joke, but it’s pretty obvious and he told it better and I’m more than a little flattered.

And I know how he can make it up to me.

see-dubya on April 7, 2007 at 7:35 PM

His post is fantastic and people are really pumped. And, with his dig at Reuters, he demonstrates that he understands the nature of the MSM! That is something Bush has never understood, and McCain, Giuliani, and Romney certainly don’t.

januarius on April 7, 2007 at 7:37 PM

I won’t be convinced until I see him cat-blog.

frankj on April 7, 2007 at 8:09 PM

Fred seems to have been born talking.

That’s common in the South–you should meet my family :-)!

You’ve got to understand the problem, articulate the problem, and propose the solution–all in words that grab and hold the mind and heart.

Go Fred!

INC on April 7, 2007 at 8:14 PM

+ 50 points for Fred for hitting both Iran and Rueters. At least we know some politicans dont sit on unfinished border fences.

William Amos on April 7, 2007 at 8:20 PM

I think I might be starting to fall in love with one Fred! Thompson.

tikvah on April 7, 2007 at 8:26 PM

I just finished reading that article thanks to the link januarius provided on the other thread. I’m glad you saw fit to put it up front and center.

It’s official! It’s now Fred! and all the rest.

ScottG on April 7, 2007 at 7:29 PM

I think you may be right.

Connie on April 7, 2007 at 8:27 PM

Go for it Fred, I vote for you.

djohn669 on April 7, 2007 at 8:32 PM

I won’t be convinced until I see him cat-blog.

The master has shpoken.

HerrMorgenholz on April 7, 2007 at 8:53 PM

Good; I support Fred even more now that I know he conceptually agrees we need campaign finance reform.

RW Wacko on April 7, 2007 at 9:05 PM

I’ll take the AmSpec’s view of Will over Will’s view of Thompson. Fred is the man.

Glynn on April 7, 2007 at 9:13 PM

Reckon what Freds’ address is so we can send him a please run card.I havent signed up with any “Run Fred” sites but I would shore send him a card.

spazzmomma on April 7, 2007 at 9:14 PM

Glynn–I report, you figure it out.

see-dubya on April 7, 2007 at 9:18 PM

Well written and strongly worded and most importantly, I believe it to be how he genuinely feels. This guy really cares. He wants to win this war.

Yakko77 on April 7, 2007 at 9:20 PM

DUDE! If anybody reading these posts has skipped reading the link, See for yourself; (not that *ahem* I would ever do that) GO BACK AND READ THOMPSON’S ARTICLE.

Now just tell me this guy doesn’t have a secret love-child somewhere or some embarrassing skeleton in the closet that would make the Right squeemish.

Right said Fred… I’m startin’ to believe.

Mojave Mark on April 7, 2007 at 9:28 PM

BTW howz about Hot Air let Fred guest blog or even give us a video report. That would rock.

Mojave Mark on April 7, 2007 at 9:29 PM

Fred Rocks!

Lawrence on April 7, 2007 at 9:29 PM

I’m starting to like this Fred! guy more and more.

flipflop on April 7, 2007 at 9:30 PM

The man voted in favor of the Line Item Veto. I need to know if he still backs that.

Other than that, Fred! is the man.

Keljeck on April 7, 2007 at 9:49 PM

Glynn–I report, you figure it out.

see-dubya on April 7, 2007 at 9:18 PM

Ok, then Fred is DEFINITELY the man.

Glynn on April 7, 2007 at 10:09 PM

Fred T. is the only viable candidate that could possibly shake up the Hollywood crowd to vote against the Hillary! machine in 2008. No one’s really said it but the Southern States love that man. If Rudy does end up winning the nomination, he should be hitting up Fred pretty hard for the VP slot.

Jiggity on April 7, 2007 at 10:18 PM

And I know how he can make it up to me.

see-dubya on April 7, 2007 at 7:35 PM

How?

Glynn on April 7, 2007 at 10:20 PM

I just hope there’s some campaign money left by the time he finally announces. It looks like there was a big push this year in both parties to get people to donate early.

crosspatch on April 7, 2007 at 10:38 PM

Where’s the weekend fun thread? I have an emerging matter!

Just went to the die hard 4 website, and lo and behold, “Live Free or Die Hard” must not be an acceptable title outside of America…

click on the english version of the site and you get the big “Live Free or Die Hard” logo. click on english outside america link and you get Die Hard 4.0 logo.

What the hell? We’re still afraid of being patriotic outside our borders?

Vincenzo on April 7, 2007 at 10:42 PM

Read the Fred thread. His post was solid!! Made my heretofore Guliani-leaning knees weak. Read down some in the talkback section, and was disappointed how quickly it degenerated into a stupid and pointless P-ing match over religion. Oy. As an Orthodox Jew who has already had about as much matza as one man’s colon can stand (with three more days to go–and keep in mind that flour and water are basically paste) I just want to stand up and say an unqualified HAPPY EASTER to all who celebrate it.

smellthecoffee on April 7, 2007 at 11:09 PM

Maybe it’s just me… but it just seems like Fred! is so… presidential (?).

He just looks comfortable in his own skin, something that Rudy and McLame don’t seem to do. Like a professional compared to amateurs.

bofh on April 7, 2007 at 11:24 PM

smellthecoffee on April 7, 2007 at 11:09 PM

I did read the comments and you are right. The comments started out decent and went south from there. As for the rest of your post, I hope you don’t mind, but it made me laugh. You have a way with words.

Glynn on April 8, 2007 at 12:02 AM

This whole Fred! thing is gonna be historical. I know there’s been a lot of talk about money, but so far, Fred!’s the only one I’m considering sending a few bucks to.

I’m eager to see just how fast his coffers fill up, once he announces officially. I’ll bet that will get some attention.

Run! Fred! Run! (and hurry the hell up every chance you get… um, Sir!)

techno_barbarian on April 8, 2007 at 12:17 AM

Glynn on April 8, 2007 at 12:02 AM

Mind? A compliment? Not hardly. Far too much minding going on in general, anyway.

smellthecoffee on April 8, 2007 at 12:45 AM

And I know how he can make it up to me.

see-dubya on April 7, 2007 at 7:35 PM

Official blogger for his campaign?

Theworldisnotenough on April 8, 2007 at 1:22 AM

There is hope, though. The Iranian people are not an anti-Western horde. They’re an educated and freedom-loving people for the most part, and reformers there have been begging us for support and sanctions that would weaken the ruling theocracy. Instead, they’ve just seen the Iranian dictatorship successfully bully the West into impotent submission. This is not a good thing.

……. and we have heard this where in the MSM, or anywhere else?

Time for another “sour mash BBQ with the Mrs.”, let the “front runners” respond to him, just keep “illegal immigration” on the plate, as well……. Run Fred, RUN!

PinkyBigglesworth on April 8, 2007 at 1:32 AM

Can’t see him losing, Fred comes across as sincere and believing in what he’s doing and saying not driven by polls and blogs as well as pundits

Seems to be what Reagan imparted to the people.

Landslide Fred

EricPWJohnson on April 8, 2007 at 1:32 AM

Here in TN the scuttlebutt is that our ex-Senator fully understands the ways of the MSM…and better yet is an ‘avid’ blog and comment reader! So keep those good thoughts coming, hopefully he will throw that hat soon!

dustoffmom on April 8, 2007 at 2:12 AM

Dear Fred!

I will send a donation for your campaign just as soon as you announce. See Fred!run. Run Fred! run!

Mallard T. Drake on April 8, 2007 at 3:13 AM

Hope nobody minds if I link this post over at the Draftfredthompson.com site, the troops will get a huge boost from all the positivity here!

TBinSTL on April 8, 2007 at 4:49 AM

There have been a few times, when watching him on links etc, that he seems to struggle with impromptu interviews. But you have heard him in public and you’re saying he is capable to handle the off the cuff questions? I may have to pay more attention to him.

csdeven on April 8, 2007 at 8:19 AM

See what is possible when you are not worried about nuance? Sure does make it easier to stay on message. And when the liberal writes an article attempting to rip you up it amkes it easy to tell them to pound sand becasue there is no hidden meaning.
I ain’t sold on Fred! yet, and I know a lot of conservatives are looking for Reagan Part II but until the calendar says 2008 I ain’t gonna get my knickers all in a bunch over anybody yet.

LakeRuins on April 8, 2007 at 10:03 AM

Lonevoice on April 8, 2007 at 10:07 AM

That post has a level of simplicity, fog-clearing clarity and get-to-the-center-of-the-pointness usually reserved for the likes of Mark Steyn.

I’d be happy to see him run if only for his helping keep the arguments focused, and away from the “We just need a new [unspecified] keep-hope-alive direction” the Dems are trying to flood the zone with.

Looks like he wouldn’t make a bad President either.

eeyore on April 8, 2007 at 11:35 AM

Fred! will NOT run, he will stalk menacingly and be handed the Presidency when people figure out its Fred! or Clinton part Deux.

Romeo13 on April 8, 2007 at 11:39 AM

I sincerely hope Fred! (the man) enters the race.

Rudy’s intermittent “Bug Eyes” really scares me!!

omnipotent on April 9, 2007 at 1:11 PM