Video: Petraeus defends McCain from media sniping over Baghdad stroll

posted at 3:52 pm on April 5, 2007 by Allahpundit

In fairness, it wasn’t just the media that was unimpressed with his trip to the market (although some media types have distinguished themselves by their churlishness in expressing how unimpressed they were). Nor did the market tour prove Wolf Blitzer wrong when he claimed that outside the Green Zone “you’re in trouble if you’re an American.”

What it did prove is that, 40 years later, McCain is still willing to put himself at personal risk to help the American war effort. We dump on him a lot here for vacillating politically, but one thing that has remained admirably constant is his courage. Max Boot describes the scene during the walkabout; read him before you watch Petraeus. Thanks to InstaGlenn for the tips.

Update: Looks like PBS just had the video pulled at YouTube. No matter. They’ve posted a transcript; the McCain section starts a little more than halfway down the page.

Comments

I was a McCain supporter in 2000 before the primary and in spite of a lot of things he has done over the last 8 years, I just plain like and respect him. He has personal integrity, something rare in any politician and that is what makes him different.

But 2008 is a different year and the world is a different place.

Rudy is the only choice for 2008.

JayHaw Phrenzie on April 5, 2007 at 3:58 PM

JayHaw Phrenzie on April 5, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Please, at least uphold your promise for a day. You promised to not post anymore. At least show some honor and “lay low” until we forget your promises.

right2bright on April 5, 2007 at 4:06 PM

21 people from that market were killed the next day

tomas on April 5, 2007 at 4:06 PM

I promised to drop the Ann Coulter discussion. (Which I have done).

Anything beyond that was merely your hopes.

JayHaw Phrenzie on April 5, 2007 at 4:09 PM

JayHaw Phrenzie on April 5, 2007 at 3:58 PM

JayHaw Phrenzie – evidently you haven’t paid much attention lately. Did you notice the results of the money primary and the polls coming out of NH? Mitt’s pushing his way in. Rudy’s acceptability amongst Republicans is going to drop every time he opens his mouth from here on out as they learn more and more about his views. The opposite is true for Romney. You’ll see.

Zetterson on April 5, 2007 at 4:16 PM

The issue is not relevence, the issue is you don’t like being criticised. Do as I say, not as I do. Message received.
However,even though it is absolutely relevent, Hot Air is “your house” if my comments aren’t welcome, I won’t sully your house.
And thus the DUification of Hot Air begins…
JayHaw Phrenzie on April 5, 2007 at 2:39 PM

I think this is what I was referring to. I don’t care if you post, you just have to own up to your posts. Just say you didn’t mean it or say you made a mistake. You can tell a lot about how a person resonds to his own quotes.

right2bright on April 5, 2007 at 4:17 PM

While I am thankful for his service, his political career is nothing short of … calculated vascillation.

His apparent distaste for the 1st Amendment is deplorable.

Kai on April 5, 2007 at 4:18 PM

This for whatever reason was a major mistake on his part.

tomas on April 5, 2007 at 4:19 PM

I can’t quite place my finger on it, but something bugs me about Romney. He’s too slick, too manufactured, too shiny.

I can’t trust him.

I’m with Rudy unless…

…someone really excting enters the race.

JayHaw Phrenzie on April 5, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Lehrer just wasn’t getting it in the first part… Gen. Petraeus didn’t feel he should answer the question about debate affecting morale. He came close, though:

f those resources are not forthcoming, then, obviously, it would have an impact on us. If things are done that give aid and comfort to the enemy or worry our partners, then obviously that does not help.

And could Lehrer really show any *more* bias about his feelings on the Iraq War?

dalewalt on April 5, 2007 at 4:25 PM

And thus the DUification of Hot Air begins…

Sorry to disappoint you, though I do aknowledge that that can be read broadly as I am leaving this site, what I referred to was sullying his site with my pro Ann Coulter comments.

I do see how it can be read that way, but that wasn’t my intent. I am not leaving this site unless banned. I like this site.

I am not afraid of being disagreed with, I am a Hard Core Conservative that Lives in California and also a dedicated Athiest. I am used to having people disagree with me and it does not shake me and my convictions in the slightest. But, I dropped the Ann thing, cause there is no point in “pissing in the wind”.

Back on topic though,

What about Rudy and Fred Thompson on the same ticket? hmmm. That would be potent. Some might say too many issues they disagree on, but there are many historical examples where the VP choice is pragmatic rather than ideological.

JayHaw Phrenzie on April 5, 2007 at 4:25 PM

JayHaw Phrenzie on April 5, 2007 at 4:25 PM

Rudy and Fred would work for most of us on the right but someone first has to win the Republican primary. How about Romney/Fred?

Zetterson on April 5, 2007 at 4:30 PM

JayHaw Phrenzie on April 5, 2007 at 4:09 PM

and

right2bright on April 5, 2007 at 4:17 PM

Ladies, ladies, ladies please don’t fight. I think both of you are very pretty.

natesnake on April 5, 2007 at 4:32 PM

Fred/Romney would be better to me than Fred/Rudy

Kai on April 5, 2007 at 4:33 PM

Ladies, ladies, ladies please don’t fight. I think both of you are very pretty.

natesnake on April 5, 2007 at 4:32 PM

Yes, but I think JayHaw Phrenzie can accessorize better.

Kai on April 5, 2007 at 4:34 PM

Yes, but I think JayHaw Phrenzie can accessorize better.

The heels, belt, and purse combo is stunning! Nothing against right2bright, but everyone still remembers that lime pant-suit stunt last October. D I S A S T E R.

natesnake on April 5, 2007 at 4:42 PM

natesnake on April 5, 2007 at 4:42 PM

And talk about embarrassment… I enter the site, only to find JayHaw with the same outfit that I had. Needless to say, I immediately turned around and left.

dalewalt on April 5, 2007 at 4:48 PM

Needless to say, I immediately turned around and left.

Sounds like somebody’s stylist will be getting a stern phone call.

natesnake on April 5, 2007 at 4:55 PM

Audio of the Petraeus interview is here.

Kevin M on April 5, 2007 at 5:05 PM

He deserves credit for his courage here, no doubt.

I just wish he had the political courage to stand up to the MSM and resist the fawning over his “maverick” status.

thirteen28 on April 5, 2007 at 5:56 PM

That was risky for him to tell the truth because for the most part the media can’t handle any truth that doesn’t dovetail nicely into their predecided decisions. The way he explained it made perfect sense. I like Petraeus. He’s clean, articulate and definately not a faggot.

csdeven on April 5, 2007 at 6:37 PM

The suggestion of Rudy/Fred is an interesting one…I think it balances the ticket, and Fred is obviously very telegenic (media-genic).

If Rudy gets the nomination (and I know many here don’t want to see that, but just for the sake of this post…), he’ll definitely look to balance the ticket with someone, probably from the South.

A few months ago, someone mentioned Newt, which I found intriguing. Fred is probably a little “safer” and more mainstream.

We’re certainly a LONG way off, but if it’s Rudy, then it’s a Southerner for VP. Come to think of it, it’ll probably be a Southerner if it’s Mitt as well. Or if it’s McCain.

asc85 on April 5, 2007 at 7:17 PM

I support McCain
I like McCain
I think he’s a great man especially for the service to his country

I just don’t want him as President

Defector01 on April 5, 2007 at 7:17 PM

csdeven on April 5, 2007 at 6:37 PM

Careful Man, your irony might be too subtle for this crowd. :)

JayHaw Phrenzie on April 5, 2007 at 7:32 PM

I think we need to talk about Ann Coulter some more. She’s interesting. Oh, and can I have a side order of infighting, please? Thanks.

JIM LEHRER: Senator McCain was with you last weekend in Baghdad. And he was talking about how he was able to walk around on the streets of Baghdad, particularly in a market. But today Iraqi tradesmen in Baghdad called that whole thing a propaganda move.

What can you tell us about that? Was it just simply a propaganda move, a photo-op?

This question is extremely telling. Our media is watching out for propaganda from our government, ostensibly to protect their viewing public from such. Why? If it were propaganda, why does the public need protection from it? Why is propaganda inherently negative? Or is it only bad when it’s involving military operations?

spmat on April 5, 2007 at 8:07 PM

asc85 on April 5, 2007 at 7:17 PM

What about a Hispanic? I really think the Hispanic vote will be the swing vote in 08. Anyone know of a nice conservative Hispanic for a conservative ticket? How about Danny Trejo? Heck, even if he isn’t a conservative I’d vote for him if he looked at me sideways.

csdeven on April 5, 2007 at 8:09 PM

JayHaw Phrenzie on April 5, 2007 at 7:32 PM

Yeah, sometimes that is true. Just do what I do. Sit back, wait, and watch.

csdeven on April 5, 2007 at 8:11 PM

Wolf Blitzer believes that everything outside of CNN headquarters is “outside the Green Zone”, so I don’t put much stock into what he says.

RedinBlueCounty on April 5, 2007 at 8:14 PM

oops, somehow the quote function got all discombobulated, but I think you get my point.

RedinBlueCounty on April 5, 2007 at 8:16 PM

I think that John McCain would be much better off today politically if in recent years he had stayed true to his being a combat Navy pilot and the son and grandson of US Admirals instead of playing footsies with the mainstream media and liberal Democrats. So why not now, instead of dumping on John McCain for recent years of foolishly playing up to the mainstream media, say “well done” and give him credit for his recent walk to the Baghdad market and generally his unwavering support of our military and the Iraq War? John McCain does deserve that credit; and among other things, it might be a reminder to John McCain that mainstream media people and liberal Democrats are not real friends, but those who stand up for our magnificent military can be real friends.

Phil Byler on April 5, 2007 at 9:18 PM

Well, well, well………… what do we have here?

Rudy is the only choice for 2008.
JayHaw Phrenzie on April 5, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Anything beyond that was merely your hopes.
JayHaw Phrenzie on April 5, 2007 at 4:09 PM

I can’t trust him.
JayHaw Phrenzie on April 5, 2007 at 4:19 PM

(anyone heard that one before?)

I like this site.
JayHaw Phrenzie on April 5, 2007 at 4:25 PM

Then, Blasphemy!

csdeven on April 5, 2007 at 6:37 PM
Careful Man, your irony might be too subtle for this crowd. :)
JayHaw Phrenzie on April 5, 2007 at 7:32 PM

Hey, JayHaw, just wanted to say “Hi”……… my handle here is Pinky……, I’m from Cali, too, Southern Cali, sometimes my observations and commentary rant a little bit, but there is something about yours that caused a “blip” on my radar… “You seem to be a too slick, too manufactured, too shiny.”

No worries, just wanted to introduce myself……. Welcome.

By the way, if I may ask, how do you feel about the enforcement of the laws of the United States?

Looking forward to your reply…….

PinkyBigglesworth on April 5, 2007 at 9:50 PM

I believe in the Second Ammendment and I believe in enforcing Immigration laws, if that’s where you are going here. :)

But, I think Defending America trumps all other issues and Rudy is the candidate that I best believe can beat the dems and defend America.

I may be repeating the comment about Romney as I have read similar statements, but it is an accurate reflection of how I feel. I can’t get comfortable with him, he seems like a Republican John Edwards. Trying to be whatever he needs to be to win.

Why was my last comment blasphemy? I’m tired after a long day of work and didn’t get that.

I am from the Bay Area, San Jose to be precise.

And my handle is JayHawk, not JayHaw, but the mods don’t like me so I can’t have my “k”. :(

JayHaw Phrenzie on April 5, 2007 at 10:38 PM

Welcome JayHaw, sorry to hear about your “K”,

Welcome aboard to the “Defend America” blog, you can sign up for you local chapter of the “Minutemen” at anytime….

I appreciate your candor regarding your feeling about Romney, sorta like a Hillary Clinton, don’t ya think? Anything to win?

My opinion on your “Blasphemy” was your comment “Careful Man, your irony might be too subtle for this crowd. :)” was more of a “heads up”, I am fortunate to be included with the ranks of csdeven, Professor Blather, Limerick, and a whole host of others, too many to mention, that dwarf me in my knowledge of the world. Yet “irony”, “wit”, “intelligence”, and “humor” are not lost here…….. less you forget, join the ranks of honora, and others.

To be fair, I am from just a tad north of San Diego, on the coast, the Bay Area is a foreign country to me. Aren’t you the one’s who tolerate “Critical Mass” and the assault on families and children? That’s pretty courageous.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time for the answer…..

To be honest, I think you are “Seminar Blogger”, but I could be wrong, I will read your posts and respond in kind.

Have a good evening, and I look forward to your next post.

By the way, if you don’t mind, how do you feel if someone proposed “La Raza” as a terrorist organization?

PinkyBigglesworth on April 6, 2007 at 12:18 AM

Pinky,

If you think I am sockpuppeting this “Seminar Blogger” person, I’m not. I have been lurking on this site from the day it started and on MM and The Political Teen before that. I have recently started posting more on topics that attract my interest.

Honestly, although I read this blog constantly, I do not know all of the commenters well enough to understand your various references to them.

I do not support critical mass or assaults on children and families. But this is my home and I will not abandon it to the libs.

I would call “La Raza” (The Race) a racist and a seperatist organization. As I am not aware of any specific acts of violence attributed to them, I would not desginate them as a terrorist organization. I disagree with what they stand for.

And lastly, I was confused as to why you linked the word Blasphemy to an earlier Blogpost about the movie 300. Maybe, I am just slow tonight. :)

JayHaw Phrenzie on April 6, 2007 at 2:41 AM

Can you strikeout the word Video so that we dont waste our time thinking there’s a video and then checking all the links for a video only to find out in the end there isnt one.

Thanks !

VinceP1974 on April 6, 2007 at 2:50 AM

JayHaw Phrenzie on April 6, 2007 at 2:41 AM

JayHaw, “homeslice”,

Not even our esteemed “honora”? Now that, I find hard to believe… Professor Blather? I gave you easy ones, sorry I am calling “BS”……. Hey, it’s OK, I’m trying to help and be nice. Wait until the real bloggers sniff you out…

Welcome anyway, your opionions are welcome….., but you will find when we see “BS” we call “Bovine Carbon Credits”….

La Raza, you have to be kidding, right?

Your fatal flaw, not knowing the reference to “You’re a Mad Man, this is Blasphemous!”, on this string, is like walking into “DeadWood” and being offended….. (WARNING WARNING WARNING)

Regardless, Welcome agian, dive in, start to swim with the sharks, if you get into any trouble, just ask “honora”………

PinkyBigglesworth on April 6, 2007 at 6:27 AM

“…but one thing that has remained admirably constant is his courage

I also don’t always agree with John McCain’s political views.

That said, I’d also say with the greatest respect for Senator John McCain that there are two thingsabout him that are admirably constant:

First, his abiding patriotism.

Second, his courage. That’s moral courage, from which physical courage comes.

DavePa on April 6, 2007 at 10:14 AM

Bully good for his war support! He will make a good private citizen.
However, he needs to stay out of politics. And we must all do our due dilligence to insure this liberal republican gets nowhere near the nomination.

paulsur on April 6, 2007 at 12:22 PM