Impeachment chorus on the rise Updates: Senator Teethflash weighs in

posted at 7:30 pm on April 5, 2007 by Bryan

According to a Washington Times exclusive:

Congressional Democrats say their constituents are clamoring for something even the most liberal lawmakers promise they won’t pursue — President Bush’s impeachment.
“I get one call after another saying, ‘Impeach the president,’ ” said Rep. John P. Murtha, Pennsylvania Democrat and one of Mr. Bush’s most relentless critics on the Iraq war.
“It’s a simple process but a very divisive thing,” Mr. Murtha said. “You’ve got to measure what it’s going to do to the country, and at this point I don’t see that happening. Instead we’ll fight it out on the issues.”

The story is, as they say, developing. But ain’t it something that Jack “Okinawa” Murtha is the man leading the charge?

More: Now that I’ve read this at more than a glance, Murtha is saying impeachment won’t happen. But he’s also saying that his constituents are demanding it. Which appears to me to be a way of setting it up so that it does happen.

But we’ll see as more details emerge from the Times.

More: The Times has added to the story. It sounds like the Dems’ are lamenting their deep and wide “idiot liberals” problem.

Some members speculated that the Democratic takeover of Congress and passage of Iraq withdrawal timetables in both the House and Senate have emboldened liberals across the country who want to see the president embarrassed during his final 21 months in office.

“The timing is all wrong,” said Rep. Jerrold Nadler, New York Democrat. “If this were the first two years of his administration I would advocate impeachment. A lot of people at home say impeachment, and I’m sure he committed a lot of impeachable offenses, but think about it practically.”

Asking liberals to think practically? That’s a laugh.

The story catalogues a whole bunch of ways Democrat officeholders have backed away from impeachment, but finishes with Gollum taking a swing at the ring:

Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich, Ohio Democrat, said he thinks impeachment has merit. In a video on his 2008 presidential campaign site, Mr. Kucinich tells supporters: “We need to reevaluate the direction of this administration by looking at its conduct in office, by determining whether it has faithfully followed the laws of our nation. I’m prepared to start that process.”

This has the feel of a trial balloon. These Dems want to see how the country reacts before actually advocating impeaching the president. Or at least that’s how I’m reading it.

Update: Oh-ho! I see that Senator Joseph Biden is talking about the i-word.

DES MOINES, Iowa — Delaware Sen. Joe Biden said a case could be made to impeach President Bush, but that such a step would be politically impractical.

Biden told about 200 students at Drake University Law School Tuesday that most Americans wouldn’t want to impeach Bush. He said such a move would be bad politics and could have unintended consequences.

“I don’t want to impeach Bush — because I don’t want Cheney,” he said, referring to Vice President Dick Cheney.

He’s been reading the comments here, it seems. But he’s still a dolt.

Among other things, Biden called for:

— The razing of Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq, the site of a prisoner abuse scandal.

— The closing and abandonment of the U.S. detention center in Guantanamo Bay Cuba, where suspected terrorists are being held.

— A more assertive Congress that is willing to be steadfast in its opposition to the president’s policies.

Again with the Abu Ghraib.

As for point 3, you people run the show now in Congress now. If you’re lamenting a weak spine there, then you and Nancy and the rest of you just need to cowboy up.

Comments

This is the first good news Bush has had in months.

Slublog on April 5, 2007 at 7:31 PM

Mr. Bush is blessed by the enemies he has.

Entelechy on April 5, 2007 at 7:33 PM

Murtha is such a tool.

Mortis on April 5, 2007 at 7:33 PM

See what prank calls can do! I’ve got the phone set on redial with the same looping message.

It was really meant to give the poor man dementia.
I’ll change the message to say, Eat More Chicken

Kini on April 5, 2007 at 7:35 PM

Do it Murtha . . . start the impeacment process. You have no valid grounds and you’ll surely make a fool of yourself and your insane friends. Do it!

rplat on April 5, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Yeah, it’s something alright, but what? He says he gets “one call after another” so you can bet Grandpa Simpson isn’t about to take this off the burner.

thedecider on April 5, 2007 at 7:37 PM

This surely is a trial ballon to see exactly how much support he can get for a realistic push. And isn’t it suprisingly quaint that he is so concerned for the country?

What a friggen tool.

csdeven on April 5, 2007 at 7:38 PM

It was really meant to give the poor man dementia.
Kini on April 5, 2007 at 7:35 PM

Too late. He’s already there.

thedecider on April 5, 2007 at 7:38 PM

Since when do elected officials listen to the people they are supposed to represent?

Substitute impeachment for Border Fence and you get the idea on how well they listen.

Murtha wants the impeachment proceedings to happen so he will lie and has “it was demanded by my constituents.

F15Mech on April 5, 2007 at 7:46 PM

has=say BTW

F15Mech on April 5, 2007 at 7:47 PM

The rest of us have been lamenting that problem for years. Nice of them to catch up.

ReubenJCogburn on April 5, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Man, these people never cease to amaze me. So you impeach and convict Bush. Send him home with his tail between his legs. Fine.

THEN what? President Cheney? Will THAT make them happy? Be careful what you wish for kiddies…

Pilgrim on April 5, 2007 at 7:51 PM

They couldn’t shoot straight if their lives depended on it!

Pam on April 5, 2007 at 7:54 PM

Raw, red meat. This is the political version of a polar bear cub. Absolutely irresistible. Wait until the Kossacks find out about this one!

Ali-Bubba on April 5, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Yeah, thats it. I really can’t think of any off hand, but I’m sure there’s like a whole bunch n’ stuff.

Give me a break.

Afganistan? No brainer

Iraq? 1441

the 16 words? ACURATE

8 attorneys? Yeah right!

Abu G? Not a chance.

I’m really not seeing a whole lot of truly impeachable offenses out there.

Exit question:
What kind of a majority does the House need to impeach? I mean it has no chance in the senate, but if they just want a protest impeachment in the House how many votes do they need?

Max Power on April 5, 2007 at 8:01 PM

What are they waiting for Rosie’s approval?

Drtuddle on April 5, 2007 at 8:03 PM

Great! Two years of silly gridlock is exactly what we need to prevent serious destruction (spending, illegal alien amnesty, global warming). Go get Bush, fritter your super-lean majority away, and set yourself up loss from a subsequent post-Bush, Thompson landslide victory. I love it!

plaidsheetman on April 5, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Majority alone in House – to convict takes a whole lotta Senate…

I’d be sure to porpose that Rep Murtha be the manager of the prosecution in the House – I’d love to see him try to spit a case out.

major john on April 5, 2007 at 8:08 PM

I think Murtha is just hearing the voices in his head say that, not actual people.

Unless of course the code pinkers have invaded his office too.

CrimsonFisted on April 5, 2007 at 8:16 PM

to convict takes a whole lotta Senate

Two-thirds of the members present

baldilocks on April 5, 2007 at 8:23 PM

Great, House only needs 51 frickin percent? Then even if it doesn’t have a chance it will at least get a vote. I mean this kind of testing the water talk is par for the course. We truly live in interesting (and kinda sad) times.

Haven’e scientists found that males are shwoing signs of lower testosterone worldwide? I mean this has gotta be some kind of evidence of that or something.

Max Power on April 5, 2007 at 8:43 PM

Good luck gettings a two-thirds vote in the Senate.

Schmucks.

JammieWearingFool on April 5, 2007 at 8:52 PM

Let us think practically and answer the following questions:

1. How do we have the American people deliver the sharp rebuke to the Democrats and to the left wing in this country in the next series of elections? Then we can say that the American people saw what the Democrats are about and want nothing to do with it.

2. How can the “mainstream media” be exposed as nothing more than left wing proaganda machines such that either change or go out of business? Then the country is releived of the curse that the “mainstream medeia” is on the country.

3. Are there actions now that can be advocated against congressamen and Senators who are talking impeachment at a time of war? They are engaging in wholly irresponsible behavior, and I for one am fed up.

Phil Byler on April 5, 2007 at 8:53 PM

Damn right it’s the first good news for Bush in ages. I’ve been joking about it since before the election. The Dems know it will be fatal to them in 2008, but it’s not clear they can resist.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on April 5, 2007 at 8:57 PM

Great, House only needs 51 frickin percent?
Max Power on April 5, 2007 at 8:43 PM

I know what you mean to say, but it’s easier than 51%. They only need 218. 222 would be 51%.

csdeven on April 5, 2007 at 9:09 PM

I think it’d be such a small vote in favor, it won’t be tried again. I mean these are the moonbat Congressman who basically follow Moveon.org’s orders, and say that it won’t happen, and would be bad for the country.

Didn’t Pelosi warn her cronies not to try to impeach?

amerpundit on April 5, 2007 at 9:12 PM

My sister-in-law works for Joltin’ Joe…

She’s fairly (extremely) liberal, hopefully not to delusional.

benrand on April 5, 2007 at 9:16 PM

“…the Democratic takeover of Congress and passage of Iraq withdrawal timetables in both the House and Senate have emboldened liberals across the country…”

Ya think? That’s right guys and gals, it’s payback time and your looney, drooling siblings are standing on your doorstep with their grubby hands out. You didn’t stave off their mad-messages before you gained power and now it seems they feel you owe them something. Who’da thunk it?

thedecider on April 5, 2007 at 10:09 PM

Hmm…so where did he stand on the whole Billy Jeff impeachment thing? Did he question HIS conduct in office? Did he ponder if Bill (I never had sexual relations with that woman) Clinton “faithfully followed the laws of our nation”?

thedecider on April 5, 2007 at 10:15 PM

Murtha…….. name the crime, name the offense, put your evidence forward, and sign your name to it………

That’s all……… no worries, right?

If not, then false claims against another is still an infraction in this country, isn’t it?

PinkyBigglesworth on April 5, 2007 at 10:16 PM

You could be right, Bryan, but how will they know how the “country” really feels about this issue when there’s no indication they listen to any voice outside the usual liberal silos. It could be that they just want to test the air among Democrats. After all, look how many of our fearless leaders now seem to be commenting on it under the guise of not seriously considering it.

thedecider on April 5, 2007 at 10:19 PM

“I get one call after another saying, ‘Impeach the president,’ ” said Murtha

Well, they call for Sanjaya to continue on, too, don’t they?

Mazztek on April 5, 2007 at 10:20 PM

For the record, Abu Ghraib prison has been turned over to the Iraqis. If we want to raze it, we have to take it back. Is that what the Dems want?

old_dawg on April 5, 2007 at 10:37 PM

To take Pilgrim’s statement a bit further:

They won’t actually proceed with Bush’s impeachment until the day after Cheney is gone. IF (God Forfend) V.P. Cheney should get too ill or pass on in the next 18 months, or if they can get rid of him any other way, they will begin impeachment proceedings the next day.

Until then they will dream about it and yap about it, but the thing they fear most (next to getting thrown out of office) is the thought of President Cheney.

LegendHasIt on April 5, 2007 at 11:18 PM

They will start out on impeachment hearings, they are going to put to trial and convict anyone in the Bush administrastion on not remembering in exact detail everything they ever said about anything at anytime at any place. That is the new standard for convicting anyone right of whakoo.
Remember Skooter Lybby . They set a precident with his conviction.
It will not be long before being right wing will be a crime.

MalkinFan on April 5, 2007 at 11:30 PM

Make Romney the VP and let the impeachment proceedings begin.

I might support that. Imagine a sitting VP running for Pres.

faraway on April 5, 2007 at 11:35 PM

A work release program in Wilmington, Delaware ???

elgeneralisimo on April 5, 2007 at 11:47 PM

If this is a trial balloon, then the way to deal with it is to call your representative (regardless of their party) and DEMAND in no uncertain terms that the idea of impeachment be permanently dumped. If your representative is a Democrat, promise him/her that any attempt to impeach WILL cost his party more than he can possible imagine.

georgej on April 6, 2007 at 2:50 AM

I’ve got a slightly different take on this: I think it’s not so much a trial balloon as much as a message, “Look, moonbats, we know what you want, and we’re trying to please you, here, but impeachment just isn’t going to happen.”

Because what happens if they impeach Bush? 1) He’s not convicted. He ends up looking stronger. 2) He IS convicted, Cheney becomes president. None of the Dems in congress want that (nor do the moonbats, really).

(Besides, I don’t think two years is really enough time to pull this off.)

Farmer_Joe on April 6, 2007 at 7:30 AM

So, Nadler is “sure” about the President’s alleged illegal activity but doesn’t think the timing is right to act. Isn’t that a bit hypocritical? Putting politics above the law. And if he’s concerned about the effect on the country, isn’t the timing “all wrong” to TALK about impeaching the President as well?

BrunoMitchell on April 6, 2007 at 8:54 AM

If you subscribe to the WSJ, read this. The former head of the ABA section on law and national security calls Pelosi a felon for violating the Logan Act in diplomacy without sanction of the executive branch, and suggests appointment of an independent counsel.

The last few weeks we’ve seen language in the media reminiscent of the final year of the Nixon Administration — Democrats “widening the war” against Bush. The Administration should be prepared to go nuclear. Add Dean to the list for his assertions he’s doing the same thing, opening “dialog” to “prepare for the Democrat’s return to power in the Presidency” or some such.

Anil Petra on April 6, 2007 at 8:56 AM

(Besides, I don’t think two years is really enough time to pull this off.)

I don’t know, didn’t it only take two years to get Clinton?
But the issues not time, it’s appearance. They’ll never do it because they don’t have the spine, first and foremost; nor do they want Pres. Cheney; most fearfully, they’d probably fail. I think the Admin has taken plenty of arguable and murky actions, but not blatantly illegal.
But if they did succeed, it wouldn’t be a death sentence to the 08 hopes, seeing as how Bush was elected after the Clinton episode.

SouthernDem on April 6, 2007 at 9:28 AM

I bet he’d shut up if you dressed up like Middle Eastern Businessmen and offered him $50k.

foxforce91 on April 6, 2007 at 11:06 AM

I hope they do go for the Chimpeach!(TM). They have some really short memories if they think this’ll do anything for them, guess pot’ll do that.

Bad Candy on April 6, 2007 at 11:14 AM

I kinda like the idea of President Cheney. Who would mess with him? I wouldn’t!

foxforce91 on April 6, 2007 at 11:17 AM

I kinda like the idea of President Cheney. Who would mess with him? I wouldn’t!

foxforce91 on April 6, 2007 at 11:17 AM

I see this image of Cheney raining Force Lightning down on the press during his first press conference, with that twisted snarl on his face that all us eeeeevil conservatives have come to know and love.

Bad Candy on April 6, 2007 at 11:32 AM

He deserves to get impeached over the border issue.

PRCalDude on April 6, 2007 at 11:36 AM

I called up Murtha and asked him if his refrigerator was running.

I called him up again and asked him if Pepe Ronni was there.

Then I called him again and asked to speak to Harry Sacks.

Then I called him up and asked him if he knew of a Hugh Jass.

benrand on April 6, 2007 at 11:39 AM

The Dem reps have absolutely no intention of impeaching President Bush. They’re just letting their base lick the freeze pop before it melts.

Connie on April 6, 2007 at 12:32 PM

It is so sad to see a once proud political party go unhinged. I have to say I was a member of that donkey party until the second Clinton election. The terrible thing is they are taking the country down with them. I am positive liberalism is a mental illness.

Grayzel on April 6, 2007 at 2:14 PM

As to these Dems, no matter who they be Bryan these Scripture say it best of who they are:

Ecclesiastes:10:3: Even when a fool goes walking, he has no sense and shows everyone else that he’s a fool.

Proverbs 18:2: “A fool finds no pleasure in understanding, but delights in airing his own opinions

Pr 27:22 You cannot separate fools from their foolishness, even though you grind them like grain with mortar and pestle. (New Living Translation)

And for secularists and atheists:
“Never argue with an idiot; they’ll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ~ anonymous

And that is whom they will continue to be until they wipe out their ideaology by the very thing they suppport: abortion.

auspatriotman on April 6, 2007 at 3:51 PM

I think the dems should try to impeach, it would allow the people to see just how unhinged the dems have become in the last 8 years. Not going to happen tho, Hillary and Co. will not allow it as it would suck her into a long and fruitless trial in the Senate just at the time she needs to concentrate fully on her campaign.

It would take several months of investigations and debate in the House, followed by a very public vote. If that vote succeeded, there would be another long trial and vote in the Senate. That would require Hillary, and Obama, to actually be present during the trial. That trial and debate would most likely occur just before the primaries. Do you really think that Hillary or Obama would forgo their campaigns for the weeks or months a Senate trial would take? Think again.

RedinBlueCounty on April 6, 2007 at 5:19 PM

Among other things, Biden called for:

When they get done with that, I can turn them on to a few county lock-ups over here were I got the shit stomped out of me by Fascist Pigs just for expressing my right to free speech back in the 70s. I’d say it’s about time we settled that score, personally.

B Moe on April 6, 2007 at 5:27 PM

What a friggen tool.

csdeven on April 5, 2007 at 7:38 PM

Yeah it certainly is a trial balloon, how else would they explain all the comments that look like they were taken from the latest talking points memo.
…just like his slow bleed trial balloon, which turned into reality.

91Veteran on April 6, 2007 at 10:04 PM

I called him up again and asked him if Pepe Ronni was there.
Then I called him again and asked to speak to Harry Sacks.
Then I called him up and asked him if he knew of a Hugh Jass.

benrand on April 6, 2007 at 11:39 AM

…all were in conference with Harry.

Harry Pearitesteze.

91Veteran on April 6, 2007 at 10:23 PM

Impeach bush? lol..impeach pelosi! She’s the one that actually has VIOLATED the logan act. It is probably why Bush didn’t try to stop her…he now has something to hang over her head with her party’s threats of impeachment.

Highrise on April 7, 2007 at 4:19 PM

“Where do you, Senator, want to put people like Khalid Sheikh Mohammed? Hmmm? Can’t keep them in Cuba, you want Abu Ghraib razed, so where do they go?”

I hear there is a delightful little prison in Smyrna, Delaware. I have an idea … how about we take some submarines out of mothballs and use them for brigs at the bottom of the sea. I would imagine they are pretty much escape proof.

crosspatch on April 7, 2007 at 10:54 PM

And if they want to know which way Mecca is, we could point them towards the White House. If they give any lip, you just flood the compartment.

crosspatch on April 7, 2007 at 10:57 PM

IMPEACH THE democratic PARTY LEADERSHIP..NOW. PROPABLE CAUSE YOU ASK? TREASONABLE ACTS, SELLING THE COUNTRY PIECE-MEAL TO THE HIGHEST OR LOWEST BIDER (FOR CAMPAIGNE FUNDS), AND CLIMBING IN BED WITH THE TERRORISTS.

oldelpasoan on April 8, 2007 at 12:15 PM

ONE QUESTION FOR MURTHA, and Jane will go on her merry way…

JUST WHO THE HELL IS “THEY”, ANYWAY, JOHNNY?

seejanemom on April 9, 2007 at 12:17 PM