Pelosi in Damascus

posted at 3:50 pm on April 3, 2007 by Allahpundit

Drudge has his faults, but it’s kind of awesome that he’s leading with this photo right now. The campaign commercial practically writes itself.

Ah well. A woman must know her place when entering a mosque.

pelosi.jpg

In fairness to Nancy, she did make a rather bold gesture while inside. And had she opted against the headscarf, CAIR would have just photoshopped one onto her anyway.

Can’t resist:

In the midst of several questions about the role of women in an Islamic society, Fallaci charged that the chador was symbolic of the segregation into which women have been cast by the revolution. “They have to take a dip apart in their chadors,” she said. “By the way how do you swim in a chador?” “Our customs are none of your business,” Khomeini answered. “If you do not like Islamic dress, you’re not obliged to wear it because Islamic dress is for good and proper young women.”

“That’s very kind of you,” said Fallaci. And since you said so, I’m going to take off this stupid, medieval rag right now.” When she did so, recounts Fallaci, Khomeini got up “like a young cat” and left the room without saying a word. Khomeini, however, agreed to see her again the next day.

Expect some sniping from the nutroots at the right (mainly at LGF, I suspect) for posting this photo, which mocks the easy coexistence of feminism and multiculturalism in the progressive belief system. It pains the left too, I’m sure, to see the most powerful woman in America having to yield, however slightly, to a misogynistic culture’s expectations, but they can’t vent their anger at the people responsible so they’ll vent it at Charles or me or whomever instead. Good people. I like ‘em a lot.

Comments

Anyone remember Pirini Scleroso from SCTV?

Eet a rahan ween.

Tuna lo to.

Pessippi Coke, Pessippi Coke.

benrand on April 3, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Pelosi in Damascus

Um, I believe that was Dhimmascus.

ReubenJCogburn on April 3, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Nancy to Assad: “Don’t worry, my master, if Bush, our commen enemy, decides to attack your peaceful country, we shall warn you, because we are good, faithful little dhimmis.”

Assad to Nancy: “Ah, very good, my humble servant … now, get down on your knees and worship me … and while you’re down there …”

Tony737 on April 3, 2007 at 3:58 PM

The fact that they do this is unacceptable. Its disrespectful and undermining to the president, and its sets a bad precedent. This trend could cause a split in the gov’t. Why have a single gov’t when you can go over the head of the current president in this capacity? You could undermine/bypass or make their own alternate policy.

Bad Candy on April 3, 2007 at 3:59 PM

He said it to Falacci – goes for Nancy though – you’re neither good, nor proper, nor young.

Entelechy on April 3, 2007 at 4:00 PM

If the people there knew what Pelosi loaded the military spending bill with…

amerpundit on April 3, 2007 at 4:01 PM

She looks comfortable in the scarf, like she belongs….

maintenanceman on April 3, 2007 at 4:01 PM

And I don’t think it was bold making the sign of the cross–if (big if) that actually happened. It’s just that Christianity is the only religion that Nancy’s in the habit of faking.

ReubenJCogburn on April 3, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Be nice. The scarf is the only thing keeping her head attached to her shoulders

lorien1973 on April 3, 2007 at 4:03 PM

AP – I’m glad you quoted from the article on Fallaci. That’s exactly what I thought as soon as I saw the picture.

I understand that we can’t all be Fallacis.

What I want to know is why so many of us choose to be doormats.

JadeNYU on April 3, 2007 at 4:04 PM

…and my 3:59 point cuts both ways, just keep that in mind, eh lefties?

Bad Candy on April 3, 2007 at 4:06 PM

Um, I believe that was Dhimmascus.

ReubenJCogburn

Dhimmasskiss

Perchant on April 3, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Pelosi draped a scarf over her head as she entered the historic mosque and stopped at a tomb inside the mosque said to contain the head of St. John the Baptist. She made the sign of the cross in front of the tomb.

I have to hand it to her for doing that. I’m Catholic, and our own Pope Benedict could not even bring himself to make one single Christian gesture while in the Hagia Sophia. He even bowed to Mecca. Pretty embarrassing how Europeans have become such Dhimmis.

januarius on April 3, 2007 at 4:13 PM

It is just the latest fad. Governor Richardson is going to North Korea, although in his case I think it is with the adminsitrations approval. The trip is supposed to be to retrieve some remains from the war. If it stays at that and doesn’t go into things like oh I don’t know nuclear weapons and easing of economic sanctions then I don’t think I’ll get upset.

LakeRuins on April 3, 2007 at 4:17 PM

The woman knows the policies of the United States and she is intentionally violating them. She is a friend of our enemy therefore she is the enemy.

rplat on April 3, 2007 at 4:18 PM

Pelosi making the sign of a cross in a Muslim country and yet back in this country she would probably sic an ACLU lawyer on somebody that dared to do that in public so fast they would have whiplash.

LakeRuins on April 3, 2007 at 4:20 PM

This picture came up this morning and was meant to be satire

IT gets harder to make fun of these people when they just are caricatures already.

bbz123 on April 3, 2007 at 4:20 PM

Before everyone digs in on this tasty, tasty carne roja we should remember that pre-Vatican II all Catholic women attended Mass with their heads properly covered like this.

billy on April 3, 2007 at 4:21 PM

I’m confused. It says she’s at the tomb of John the Baptist. When did that become a site for Muslims?

Esthier on April 3, 2007 at 4:23 PM

True billy, but then they all went home to drink , barbecue pork and fornicate like there was no tomorrow. And those were just the High School girls…….

bbz123 on April 3, 2007 at 4:23 PM

I don’t fault a person who upon entering a place of worship makes concessions to the host religion, whether it is donning a yarmulkel upon entering a synagogue or women donning a scarf on entering a mosque.
What I have heartburn with those on the left when it comes to religion is that they work just as hard as others to supress expressions of religion in public as others. Lefties use lawyers and Islamic fascists use IED’s but the impact is the same.

LakeRuins on April 3, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Esthier on April 3, 2007 at 4:23 PM

Just like everything and everywhere else. As soon as the Muslims equal 10% of the population everything they can see, touch, hear, or otherwise have contact with is now Muslim. They have laid claim to the Taj Mahal as well.

LakeRuins on April 3, 2007 at 4:29 PM

The may be a major incident in the works. She appears to have crossed herself inside a Mosque:

U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi prays at tomb of John the Baptist inside the Umayyad mosque during a tour in Damascus April 3, 2007. REUTERS/Jamal Saidi (SYRIA)

TheBigOldDog on April 3, 2007 at 4:31 PM

Nice to know that the first female Speaker of the House knows her place. And here I thought feminism was dead.

Enrique on April 3, 2007 at 4:31 PM

I’d agree if the host religion returns the favor. John was not a Muslim.

Esthier on April 3, 2007 at 4:38 PM

How liberating it must be to be free of the apron… only to be stuck in a scarf.

taznar on April 3, 2007 at 4:39 PM

Calling JaHerer2 – universal rights for women…

Honora, can’t wait for your take on this.

Entelechy on April 3, 2007 at 4:42 PM

Esthier on April 3, 2007 at 4:23 PM

It’s like being married… Whatever was my wife’s is still my wife’s…. whatever was mine… is my wife’s.

So whatever was Christian, is Muslim, and whatever was Muslim is still Muslim.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on April 3, 2007 at 4:42 PM

Calling JaHerer22 (not 2), and NOW, and feminists the world over…not a peep…and the media…

Entelechy on April 3, 2007 at 4:43 PM

Madame Traitor looks much older with a scarf.

gmaninatl on April 3, 2007 at 4:46 PM

Ah well. A woman must know her place when entering a mosque.

Wearing a silk scarf with maple leafs (the official sponser of Islam apparently) on it?

She looks less like a traitorous speaker of the house visiting our enemies, and more like a Grandmother up here in Vermont apple picking in the fall with that ridiculous maple leaf scarf… or am I totally missing something?

RightWinged on April 3, 2007 at 4:46 PM

Not quite Darth Pelosi… but close…

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on April 3, 2007 at 4:47 PM

LakeRuins on April 3, 2007 at 4:29 PM

You forgot to mention that they then claim that it is “one of Islam’s HOLIEST sites” so that any mention of anyone else recovering it is seen as very insensitive.

Sure, your Holy Temple may have been built there many years ago, but, you have to understand, this is one of Islam’s HOLIEST sites…..so you’ll just have to bite me.

JadeNYU on April 3, 2007 at 4:49 PM

This is probably nothing, but I have never seen a headscarf worn by a Muslim woman or a woman honoring their religious laws (such as reporters)that had a print on it. Never.

Rightwingsparkle on April 3, 2007 at 4:56 PM

I believe Muslims claim John as one of their prophets, actually. As they believe Jesus was as well. Remember, Muhamad was only a prophet–Islam is based on the religion of Adam, Ibrahim and other Christian prophets. Muhamad believed he was taken to Jerusulem by Gabrielle and thus descended into Heaven.

robblefarian on April 3, 2007 at 4:59 PM

Sorry, I meant Gabriel–not Gabrielle! HA!

robblefarian on April 3, 2007 at 5:00 PM

Message from our leftie friends “…enough already you common, ignorant, illiterate, uncultured, uneducated, unschooled, boorish scum; she’s way more sophisticated and worldly-wise than you and well versed in international customs; go back to your sheds/trailers/garages/verandas/benches”.

Entelechy on April 3, 2007 at 5:04 PM

Khomeini defended the trials and executions of 600 people since the revolution on the ground that those found guilty had been involved in tortures and massacres. But he became somewhat agitated when Fallaci cited executions of those convicted of adultery, prostitution or homosexuality. “If your finger suffers from gangrene, what do you do? Letting the whole hand and then the body become filled with gangrene, or cutting the finger off?. . . Corruption, corruption. We have to eliminate corruption.”

Ah, yes – the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Rick on April 3, 2007 at 5:10 PM

Allah, you can bet they’ll have their sights on us and LGF. The Sockpuppeteer is engaging in the ‘point to a few posts on conservative blogs to justify the tens of thousands of pages of liberal hate’ move already. Which was utterly predictable, and I called it. So get ready, the MSM will pick up Sockpuppeteers methods soon enough. I’d be shocked if they didn’t try’n find unflattering stuff here too. We already know they’ll head for LGF and maybe the FReepers, which is the usual whipping boy, when liberals need to cover their own radicalism or dumb moves.

Bad Candy on April 3, 2007 at 5:10 PM

The campaign commercial practically writes itself.

If the RNC had any balls, they would run an ad in ’08 with that picture and the word “dhiminitude” underneath. That’s all it would take.

thirteen28 on April 3, 2007 at 5:12 PM

Calling JaHerer2 – universal rights for women…

Honora, can’t wait for your take on this.

Entelechy on April 3, 2007 at 4:42 PM

They don’t comment on these threads – although, JaHerer every so often will surprise me and comment on those threads where the leaders on the left look like hypocrites.

Rick on April 3, 2007 at 5:16 PM

I know I should be getting bent out of shape over this (and I am disgusted that she’s even in the area), but I’ve worn a headscarf into Catholic churches in Russia that required it. And I didn’t have to wear one when I went into The Dome of the Rock.

Wouldn’t you guys wear a yarmulke if you went to a friend’s kid’s bar mitzvah?

I’m just saying, this is not the only religion that asks you to cover your head before the eyes of their god.

Tanya on April 3, 2007 at 5:22 PM

If it were just head scarfs Tanya, you’d have a point. Do we really need to list the misogynistic requirements of the RoP?

TheBigOldDog on April 3, 2007 at 5:29 PM

Yes, I would expect people to honor the Muslim religion when entering a mosque, but this whole trip is just a photo-op for Syria. These are the pictures people in the Middle East are going to see of American leaders.

frankj on April 3, 2007 at 5:30 PM

For those complaining that there are other religions that require the covering of heads. As a general thing, in a political vacuum, I agree. But in the context of Pelosi undermining policy of the current president in favor of a soft or even capitiulating capacity, it does matter. It makes her, and the President and the people by extension, look submissive and weak both politically and culturally to our enemies in Syria and Iran, as well as the various terrorist organizations.

Bad Candy on April 3, 2007 at 5:31 PM

and I am disgusted that she’s even in the area

Tanya on April 3, 2007 at 5:22 PM

To me, that’s the point. She shouldn’t be there in the first place. She doesn’t have the authority to be there on behalf of the U.S. Nobody outside of her district voted her in office. This is just a slap in the face by the Dem leadership. Talk about “culture of corruption”, these members of Congress are completely disregarding America’s laws and leadership. As for the headscarf, that’s just icing on the hypocritical Dem cake.

Rick on April 3, 2007 at 5:31 PM

Comparing this photo to Dukakis was a stroke of genius. Someone on LGF spotted this right away.

csdeven on April 3, 2007 at 5:36 PM

Wouldn’t you guys wear a yarmulke if you went to a friend’s kid’s bar mitzvah?

Sure, but the yarmulke doesn’t double as a symbol of the retrograde misogyny that’s causing a clash of cultures right now. It’s all about context: who she is, where she is. If this had been a mosque in a modern state like Turkey or Kurdistan, I wouldn’t have blinked. If they asked her to take off her shoes, like the men do, to show respect, I have no problem with it. But to have the first woman Speaker of the House adopt the trappings of Islamic “modesty” in the capital city of the launching pad for most of the suicide bombers in Iraq is repulsive.

All about the context. That’s why I defended Keith Ellison when he wanted to take the oath on a Koran. There’s nothing more or less symbolic about that than a Christian swearing on the Bible. But if he wants to swear an oath on it in Tehran? That would be more problematic.

Allahpundit on April 3, 2007 at 5:42 PM

Heh, you put that much better than I did, Allah.

Bad Candy on April 3, 2007 at 5:52 PM

Ok, that’s a totally valid point. I guess the headscarf is the least of my worries, because it has a secondary purpose. I’m more concerned that the “honor killings” and clitorectomies stop, than what goes on my hair.

Tanya on April 3, 2007 at 5:53 PM

Check her suitcases for cash when she gets back.

crosspatch on April 3, 2007 at 6:24 PM

Looks like Ms. America is getting prepared for her future role in the dhimmified United States of America. It’s time for her to go.

spmat on April 3, 2007 at 6:36 PM

Syria treated Pelosi’s visit as a diplomatic victory. “Welcome Dialogue,” proclaimed a front-page headline in one state-run newspaper next to a photo of Pelosi.

Entelechy on April 3, 2007 at 6:50 PM

Rightwingsparkle on April 3, 2007 at 4:56 PM

\
Nah, the prints are big in Tehran.
I could care less if she wears a headscarf into a mosque, but AP has it right: It’s the context.
That and she routinely shows more respect for Islam than she does for Christianity.

SouthernDem on April 3, 2007 at 7:00 PM

A Muslim girl I used to know in high school gave an impassioned speech about the headscarf. She was so mad that people on the left and right view it as a symbol of oppression. Sure, if you don’t have a choice to wear it you’re being oppressed, but if you chose to wear one who the hell cares?

Nonfactor on April 3, 2007 at 7:04 PM

She looks awful, much like an aligorical figure of how potent the Democratic majority is against terrorism. Dried up, old woman reduced to Islamic Dhimmi.

What was she praying for, more pro-abortion judges on the Supreme Court? Pathetic representative for both the USA and Christianity. Maybe she’ll come back with a Syrian accent?

Hening on April 3, 2007 at 8:30 PM

Um, I believe that was Dhimmascus.

ReubenJCogburn

Dhimmasskiss

Perchant on April 3, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Touche.

Mm-mmm, that’s some good old-fashioned dhimmitude there, Nance. Or to put it another way, Syria said “Submit!” and Nancy said “How low?”

ReubenJCogburn on April 3, 2007 at 8:32 PM

a tomb inside the mosque said to contain the head of St. John the Baptist

Muslims seem to have an obsession with the decapitated heads of Christians.

RedinBlueCounty on April 3, 2007 at 8:34 PM

Yep, who cares that, according to Islamic tradition and religion, women are the property of men, must obey men, can be beaten if they disobey men, can be gang raped if they dishonor the men, and are stoned to death if they are raped by men. After all, they CHOOSE to wear that scarf.

RedinBlueCounty on April 3, 2007 at 8:38 PM

RedinBlueCounty on April 3, 2007 at 8:38 PM

Yep, just like European Jews chose to make a variety of fashion statements, back around 1940 or so.

ReubenJCogburn on April 3, 2007 at 9:42 PM

Anyone have info on this story… three Republicans meeting with the Syrian President with the administrations approval?

MT on April 3, 2007 at 10:11 PM

Syria’s ambassador to the U.S., Imad Moustapha, described the visit as a “positive step” but said “it does not necessarily mean that the U.S. administration would suddenly change its position.”

In comments to the state-run Al-Thawra daily published Tuesday, he said the visit should be a “reminder that even though we might disagree on politics, we should remain diplomatically engaged in dialogue to reach some understandings.”

In terrorist speak that means “we get to continue to export terrorism and you will ignore that fact and treat us like your moral, economic, and military equal.”. Pelosi’s response……”Allah Akbar!”.

She. is. a. puke.

csdeven on April 3, 2007 at 10:19 PM

Precious from the HuffPoo

question for any constitutional scholars out there – can bush be arrested even before any too slow impeachment proceedings take place?

arrest bush/cheney = save face for u.s.a.
By: sugarmoes on April 03, 2007 at 02:10pm
Flag: [abusive]

“Democrats are doing Bush’s job. Somebody’s got to, because he certainly isn’t.”

Bush is unnecessary, and should remain inert for the remainder of his term. He should stay off TV, radio and away from our troops (his favorite prop for photo ops and speeches). He should just sign all the democratic bills sent him, provide his minions for the hearing in congress, and shut the F**K UP

And remember…like Hagel said…we can always impeach.
By: thromulese on April 03, 2007 at 02:10pm
Flag: [abusive]

Entelechy on April 3, 2007 at 11:20 PM

Tanya, it all depends. If I were to enter an American mosque that preaches love of all God’s children, encourages muslims to stand up for America and turn in any known terrorists, then I would take off my shoes. But if a mosque preaches hate, violence and the overthrow of America, I’d step in dog sh*t just before I walked in the door.

Tony737 on April 3, 2007 at 11:34 PM

Meanwhile, an ironic contrast with another woman who is a landmark political leader:

Kuwait’s new education minister was greeted by protests as she took the oath of office, after she refused to wear a headscarf in parliament.

A number of MPs shouted and jeered as Nouria al-Sbeih, Kuwait’s second female cabinet member, completed her oath.

INC on April 4, 2007 at 12:54 AM