Video: Sailor home from Iraq surprises son at school

posted at 12:49 pm on March 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

Great catch by the Jawas here. Even the anchor can’t help getting choked up.

Consider this your official handkerchief warning. Seriously.

Comments

Allah, people are wondering why I’m crying.

amerpundit on March 30, 2007 at 12:52 PM

Dude that was just precious, that’s a beautiful thing. I don’t think even nutroots would fight about that

Defector01 on March 30, 2007 at 12:55 PM

Wow, that’s pretty tough to watch.

SillyRyno on March 30, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Very nifty.

Ringmaster on March 30, 2007 at 12:57 PM

Must … not … let … tears … flow … ah the heck with it, here they come!

Tony737 on March 30, 2007 at 12:59 PM

You guys are just rude, making me cry at work.

Thanks for the clip.

Go NAVY (from an Air Force retiree).

Rick Donaldson on March 30, 2007 at 1:03 PM

Hankie warning indeed. Did you hear that poor little boy wimper in his Daddy’s arms…

Kinda reminded me of Knut when he found out the panda next door died. Sorry, trying to stop the crying…

Babs on March 30, 2007 at 1:04 PM

That was beautiful–thank you so much, AP.

Jen the Neocon on March 30, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Exit question: Does anyone else share my shock at MSNBC, of all people, running this story straight up?

Kid from Brooklyn on March 30, 2007 at 1:07 PM

Makes me want to hug my son when I get home from work… just because I can.

Thanks, Allah.

SailorDave on March 30, 2007 at 1:08 PM

Tears, again.
(I’m glad I’m not the only one).

Zorro on March 30, 2007 at 1:12 PM

I’m surprised they let him in!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on March 30, 2007 at 1:13 PM

Oh, man…I’m glad our cubicle walls are high. That’s all I’m going to say.

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 1:14 PM

Nice.

flipflop on March 30, 2007 at 1:15 PM

Damn, if you don’t at least get a serious lump in your throat from that, you’re dead inside.

thirteen28 on March 30, 2007 at 1:17 PM

Why can I not see it? There’s white there. I can click it, but it’s still white. Same problem at Jawa.

Darksean on March 30, 2007 at 1:20 PM

The tag line should be heartswell. Thanks, AP, that was very sweet. (sniff)

KelliD on March 30, 2007 at 1:22 PM

That got me more than a bit misty eyed as well. That’ll be the best surprise of that kids life I’ll bet. Wonderful story.

Yakko77 on March 30, 2007 at 1:23 PM

One of the best, and hardest things about flying in and out of Killeen Texas over the past 4 years,

is seeing these kinds of welcomes,

and seeing those tough goodbyes.

God bless them all.

daveintexas on March 30, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Saw it, but had to go to MSNBC to do so. So, watching it was bittersweet.

I can’t believe the Today show ran that story.

Darksean on March 30, 2007 at 1:26 PM

Darksean on March 30, 2007 at 1:20 PM

If you’ve got an ad blocker or flash blocker program, that might be the issue.

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 1:26 PM

tears, black mascara and a brand new white shirt; not a great combination.

God Bless

bopbottle on March 30, 2007 at 1:28 PM

OH, sniff… MY, sniff…GOD!!!
Frick’n glassed in office, thank God I have a steaming plate of Thai in front of me…that’ll be my exuse.
Nice Story AP.

bernzright777 on March 30, 2007 at 1:31 PM

I didn’t even watch it and I’m getting misty eyed!

Max Power on March 30, 2007 at 1:32 PM

Powerful stuff.

Let’s not forget that the democrat party, and especially its leadership, is doing everything it possibly can to encourage and embolden the enemy who is trying to kill people like this little boy’s dad.

Labamigo on March 30, 2007 at 1:34 PM

Go Navy!

Viper1 on March 30, 2007 at 1:34 PM

Sweetest thing I have seen in a while. {sniff}

Time to redo ye olde makeup.

Stormy70 on March 30, 2007 at 1:34 PM

From Hanford Lennox Gordon: Sailor-Boy’s Song:

For long have I been on the billowy deep
On the boundless waste of sea
And while I sleep there are two who weep,
And watches and prays for me.

That was some pretty moving stuff. But I ain’t cryin…no sir…not me. Lots of pollen today.

Limerick on March 30, 2007 at 1:36 PM

Now that’s what makes me proud to be American and proud of our fighting forces and their families. Oorah par excellence.

spmat on March 30, 2007 at 1:45 PM

At least you warned us, AP.

Kai on March 30, 2007 at 1:48 PM

That’s the heart of it all. Thanks for posting.

Drum on March 30, 2007 at 1:48 PM

Thanks, Allah.

Lots more of that. Lots less Rosie. Please.

Best thing ever on your site. Period.

Professor Blather on March 30, 2007 at 1:50 PM

Thanks, Allah.

Lots more of that. Lots less Rosie. Please.

Professor Blather on March 30, 2007 at 1:50 PM

Ditto

Wade on March 30, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Great video. To bad the MSM won’t ever play it.

tormod on March 30, 2007 at 1:57 PM

It made the local morning news here! Well, before I read AP’s post.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS AND THEIR FAMILY’S!

Kini on March 30, 2007 at 2:02 PM

They don’t all come home.

dammit.

I know it’s self promo of the blog, but his story is very touching, and his daugther’s letter to her dad is well worth the time for the read.

If I have my clock right, Jessica graduated from high school last May.

God bless them all.

daveintexas on March 30, 2007 at 2:02 PM

Great video. To bad the MSM won’t ever play it.

Uh, the MSM is playing it. Its on MSNBC.com right now.

It puts things in perspective I think. There are real people sacrificing for our safety.

I teared up too for sure. I don’t show my kids enough love I guess. I will be doing lots of hugging when I get home.

Jeff
(first comment btw)

dc84123 on March 30, 2007 at 2:02 PM

What’s with this pro-war indoctrination going on with these impressionable frist graders? Sending care packages to this kid’s dad? Were any of the kids told that if they didn’t support the war that they could opt out of this care package scheme? It is unacceptable to imply that the children who don’t support the war don’t support this boy’s father, and to force them to parrot the Big Lie that this man is doing anything more than foolishly risk his life for oil and imperialism isn’t just shameful – it’s unAmerican.

Enrique on March 30, 2007 at 2:04 PM

Going through Dallas twice last week, I saw/talked to quite a few Soldiers, going and coming. One of the hardest scenes was, while taking the stairs to that Sky-train, seeing a large group of family members crying, watching after a just departed plane. Disturbing was how indifferent some of the other passengers were. I can’t put my finger on what it is – are they against the war? do they not know what to do with themselves about such sensitive situations? It’s hard to tell. More ignored the Soldiers than not.

I’m with Limerick. Boss gave me the day off and there’s lots of pollen in Calif. at this time…

Compared to this, who cares about Rosie and her “knowledge” of physics? Not to talk about her “humanity”. Yet, this dad fights for her right to be so stupid!

Entelechy on March 30, 2007 at 2:04 PM

That was my Keith Olbermann impression, btw.

Enrique on March 30, 2007 at 2:04 PM

Darksean,
I’ve got the same problem because we now have ubernazis controlling web access at work. I can only see about half the things since they’ve tightened the screws. Bastards!

pistolero on March 30, 2007 at 2:05 PM

That was special. I started to lose it when the kid said “daddy” but regained control until the wife said how proud she was.

This isn’t a family that was angry he left but a family who loved him and just missed seeing him while understanding why h he left. They made a willing sacrifice when he left. I do not know what that is like and can’t say it’s something I could handle.

Esthier on March 30, 2007 at 2:05 PM

Dang it, Entelechy, you ruined my timing. :)

Enrique on March 30, 2007 at 2:05 PM

Thank you HotAir and MSNBC for that wonderful story.

gatewaypundit on March 30, 2007 at 2:08 PM

Enrique, before you even wrote about the timing, I was about to comment

Enrique, I’m glad my comment posted right after yours – now, I’m eternally the gourmet-substance in your sandwitch.

We’re friends. Regards,

Entelechy on March 30, 2007 at 2:08 PM

Thanks, Allah.

Lots more of that. Lots less Rosie. Please.

Professor Blather on March 30, 2007 at 1:50 PM

Yeah, what the Prof said.

mikeyboss on March 30, 2007 at 2:10 PM

That brings back fond memories of my time away when I was in. I always tried to be vague on the exact day I would be getting back from deployments just so I could walk in a surprise my wife and kids. I agree with the others, we need more of these, nothing like smiling and crying at the same time.

Grunt2Jag on March 30, 2007 at 2:14 PM

Thanks AP… all choked up, but very much worth it. (sniffle)

dalewalt on March 30, 2007 at 2:17 PM

Kid from Brooklyn on March 30, 2007 at 1:07 PM

I share your shock. I can only conclude that PMSNBC was hoping that the kid would slap his father, denounce him as a babykilling warmonger, and demand to be emancipated. They must have been quite disappointed that they got a heartwarming story instead.

ReubenJCogburn on March 30, 2007 at 2:26 PM

Good for him. Good for them all. God bless ‘em. It is definitely worth every second he was there with the boy.

On my first deployment after my son was born, he was almost a year old. I had been gone for 4 months. My wife and he were on the tender (the repair ship our submarines tie up to when returning to port) waiting for me to come up to see them. There was an inspection ongoing on the ship and I was responsible for its performance. It was not going well.

Despite the fact that I had work going on in the Engineroom and I was the Ship’s Engineer Officer, the Captain told me to go up and see my family. Everyone else had already. They saw me at the ladder getting off the ship, and my son grabbed me by the neck and would not let go. He couldn’t even say my name but he knew who I was even after 4 months. Every wife on the ship (they had all already seen their husbands), was watching us. When I told my wife after about ten minutes of hugging, kissing and talking that I had to go back to work, she understood and tried to take my son back.

He wouldn’t let go. He cried like a banshee, long and loud. After we finally disentangled ourselves, I kissed her and told her I’d see her when the inspection report was complete (6 a.m. the next morning… it was not a good inspection). He was screaming when I went below.

Those were the hardest steps I ever took in my life.

Fighting fires and flooding and evil men is nothing to me. Leaving one’s family behind is a burden much greater than facing your enemy or the cold dark sea.

Where do we get such Women who will put up with us?

Subsunk

Subsunk on March 30, 2007 at 2:28 PM

Amen..more of these and Fred! and NO more viewpigs.

thebookkeeper on March 30, 2007 at 2:33 PM

Lump in my throat. Tears in my eyes. My God bless that family!

Ellen on March 30, 2007 at 2:33 PM

Damnit, it won’t play here, it won’t play at the Jawa Report, and I’ve now sat through the William Shatner Priceline ad three times on MSNBC’s site, only to have it say “Sorry, the clip you requested is not available.”

Probably a good thing, I get a swell in my throat just dropping my daughters off at school every day. I’ve seen these kinds of reunions in airports and they get the waterworks going every time.

Of course, you know this will only serve as fuel for the “Support the troops, bring them home now!” crowd. Or don’t you warmongering bastards want little kids to be reunited with their parents? [/sarcasm]

Dudley Smith on March 30, 2007 at 2:36 PM

Dudley, I think I saw the same video up over at cnn.com. You can also stream it directly off Liveleak. Give those a shot.

SailorDave on March 30, 2007 at 2:39 PM

Oh, wow. Serious lachrymal action. I hope nobody looks at me for the next couple of minutes.

morganfrost on March 30, 2007 at 2:41 PM

How stirring. Gotta hug the kids a little harder tonight. What is this liquid coming from my eyes?

Matticus Finch on March 30, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Subsunk.

That’s probably the hardest thing I’ve ever heard in my life. Honestly. I know what it’s like to just have to leave for work in the morning, and my boys don’t want me to go. I simply can’t put myself in your shoes. I don’t know how you did it.

Your honor and courage are beyond description and acknowledgement. Please keep your head up and know that we all appreciate the pain you have dealt with. It wasn’t meant to be easy. You didn’t sign up for it to be easy. Thank you for being willing to bear the burden. With men like you serving our country, we can all hope for a better future.

Thank you.

nukemhill on March 30, 2007 at 2:49 PM

Big strong guy, sitting at work, with tears running down his face…….. I’m calling my son right now to tell him that I Love him very much……..

More tears……..

PinkyBigglesworth on March 30, 2007 at 2:52 PM

This is why we must support the Troops AND the Families! The Left will say that if we didn’t engage in wars, we wouldn’t have to put people through this emotional stress. However, if the cause is worth fighting for, then we have to do everything to support the Troops and their Families back home. These clips remind us who are making the sacrifices on our behalf. Thanks to all who have served!

Mallard T. Drake on March 30, 2007 at 2:53 PM

Damn you, AP!

I had to answer the phone right when that was ending, so I just told a client I have a cold – If he calls again later, I’m busted.

John from WuzzaDem on March 30, 2007 at 2:54 PM

SailorDave

Got it at CNN, thanks for the tip

Dudley Smith on March 30, 2007 at 2:57 PM

Thanks, Allah.

Lots more of that. Lots less Rosie. Please.

Best thing ever on your site. Period.

Professor Blather on March 30, 2007 at 1:50 PM

Nailed it, Professor.

Spurius Ligustinus on March 30, 2007 at 3:04 PM

It reminded me of my son’s return from Iraq. No, it wasn’t a surprise return like this one, but when the got off the bus at Great Lakes, we families were all waiting for them on the sidewalk, and cheered as they walked into the auditorium.

There was food and drink, activity bags for the kids, and the Navy supplied a band for entertainment. We had 10 minute progress reports as the state police escorted bus caravan made it’s way from Midway airport.

I swear, it was the longest wait I’ve experienced.

They formed up in the auditorium and the minute the dismissed command was issued, the room burst into applause, cheers, shouts, and tears of joy. Watching the kids mob their returned moms and dads was a joy in itself.

Of course, my son was mobbed by his sisters and mom and a long time family friend who joined us. I thought they were going to dislocate his neck with all the hugging.

His unit was lucky. No KIA or seriously wounded (a few shrapnel scratches from mortars). And for the next two weeks, those who had deployed were allowed to wear their desert MARPAT cammies as a sign of recognition.

I know the joy when a soldier returns. I know how his family felt. First hand.

God bless him and his family, and thanks to him and his fellow sailors for a job well done.

georgej on March 30, 2007 at 3:05 PM

Subsunk, similar story:

My wife and I were married in July of ’93, we were sent to Colorado to be stationed at Carson. My son was born just over a year later in August of ’94. Four weeks to the day he was born I was sent to Cuba for five months for security duty at Gitmo. The hardest thing was getting on that bus with a 20 year-old new wife and mother standing there doing her best to be strong so that I wouldn’t be more worried than I already was. Going away is easy…you just leave. You have your brothers in arms around you and a mission to focus on.

Staying in a new home, by yourself, away from family and friends being the only parent to care for a newborn baby seems to me a much bigger sacrifice. Thankfully there are women out there like my wife who are stronger than I’ll ever be, they make it a home to come to and put up with much more than I ever did being deployed. Little crumbsnatchers squeezing the tar out of you like they never want you to walk more than a foot away from them ever again are icing on the cake.

Grunt2Jag on March 30, 2007 at 3:13 PM

That was great… but why was MSNBC the network that got this?

RightWinged on March 30, 2007 at 3:24 PM

That was great… but why was MSNBC the network that got this?

I think networks just put pieces like this up for sale, so to speak – MSNBC must have decided they liked it and “purchased” it.

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 3:27 PM

My post was not meant to incur sympathy for myself. My time has run its course.

But it does show you how much we owe our Men and Women in uniform, and how much I expect all of us to work harder to treat them as Real Men and Women deserving of our Trust, our Support, for them and the mission, and of our Respect wherever and whenever we meet them.

Press on. To Victory.

Subsunk

Subsunk on March 30, 2007 at 3:32 PM

watched it without sound before class this morning, got teared up
watched it with sound after class and yeah the tears are quite flowing.

i’ve got some explaining to do if anyone sees me in the library crying but that was beautiful

Defector01 on March 30, 2007 at 3:40 PM

That hit me center mass. I hope my fellow coworkers don’t look at me in the next few minutes. Tears, welcome to face.

techinblack on March 30, 2007 at 3:52 PM

watched it twice, just more tears. God Bless the children, wifes and family of the deployed. God Bless them.

ross

kara26 on March 30, 2007 at 4:00 PM

Dang it! Didn’t see the hankerchief warning!

Drtuddle on March 30, 2007 at 4:06 PM

Thank you for posting this. The beauty of this child’s love for his daddy, captured on this video is a treasure.

Subsunk, thanks for sharing.

To all the Fathers and Mothers that will not be coming home, may God embrace them as sweetly as this Father and Son…- PinkyBigglesworth.

Ditto

One wonders what the Iraqi’s would think of this video.

heroyalwhyness on March 30, 2007 at 4:28 PM

That was great… but why was MSNBC the network that got this?

The station that shot the video, King5 from Seattle is NBC.

AndrewsDad on March 30, 2007 at 4:40 PM

quit all yer cryin ya sissy boys. That soldier wasn’t crying because he’s a real man. The feminization of the American male is complete when a bunch of conservative men start weeping like a bunch of school girls. Hell yeah this stuff makes me proud as hell to be an American but I’ll be damned if I get so emotional that I’ll shed tears. C’mon guys, both women and children need us to be men, real men.

Locrian on March 30, 2007 at 5:29 PM

I just wish there was a girl here to see me crying and being all sensitive….I would soooo be in!

TBinSTL on March 30, 2007 at 6:32 PM

That soldier wasn’t crying because he’s a real man.

He was you just didn’t see it.
There’s a lot of Vets posting here, don’t you even dare question what it feels like to make it home.
This is the kind of welcome all of our military personnel deserve and dream of.
His wife saying that she’s so proud of him surely drove a stake through many a liberal heart.

Speakup on March 30, 2007 at 6:42 PM

What a truly moving moment!

And the little boy, by that age generally being tough around his buddies, not caring about crying or hugging his Daddy in front of them.

…something those like “Amenities Arkin” and the “Screw them” KosKidz cannot take away.

91Veteran on March 30, 2007 at 6:54 PM

If you can watch that and NOT shed a tear, you are no man, you are a machine.

Lucid1 on March 30, 2007 at 7:13 PM

I loved it! Welcome home!

I’m still not sure why the anchoress was “embarassed” for crying. She’s only human, right?

SouthernGent on March 30, 2007 at 7:33 PM

Subsunk
That wasn’t sympathy that you were getting. It was support, respect and gratitude for your sacrifice! God bless you and your family Subsunk and Grunt2Jag!!

What a beautiful homecoming!!!

ChrisIansNana on March 30, 2007 at 9:43 PM

I kid you not, Orbison’s “Crying” is playing on my iTunes right now…

Editor on March 30, 2007 at 10:35 PM