Video: Imus questions Gregory if he is to blame for “demise of NBC News”

posted at 12:30 am on March 30, 2007 by Ian

In recent weeks NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams has suffered a ratings loss, while ABC’s World News with Charles Gibson has soared. MSNBC morning host Don Imus asked NBC News White House correspondent David Gregory if he “felt in any way responsible” for the “demise” of NBC News and the “surge” of ABC News. Gregory immediately disagreed and a game of “no, I’m right” broke out.

Hat tip to TV Newser who describes what happened:

Imus asked: “As the chief White House correspondent for NBC News, do you feel in any way responsible for the demise of NBC News and the surge of ABC News and that Charles Gibson now is #1 and you guys are not, you’re #2. Do you think any of that is your fault?”

After making an unrelated joke, Gregory said he disagreed with the premise. “There is no demise at NBC News. We’re in a competitive environment but I think we’re doing just fine,” he said.

“You’re not #1,” Imus shot back. Gregory tried to answer: “We are #1 if you look at–” prompting Imus to say “no you’re not.”

“Look, this is a competitive environment for Nightly News,” Gregory said, “but I think Brian and Alex Wallace, our new executive producer, will focus on… doing what we’ve been doing and doing it well and we’re going to be fine.”

Comments

Hey, you guys, you’re both going to feel the wrath of the Truthers because Rosie said you are all propoganda tools .

bbz123 on March 30, 2007 at 12:37 AM

Thank you, Ian.
Up till now I had no idea what these giggling fools were doing to cope with the decline in their careers.
But now I do.
Thanks.

billy on March 30, 2007 at 12:42 AM

I really wish Tony Snow woulda shown that smarmy little schmuck David Gregory his pimphand at some point.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 12:44 AM

There you have it. They’re “focused on what” they do right. Unfortunately, what they do right is spew out far left talking points that the American public isn’t buying in increasing droves. Did you really expect anything different from David Gregory? It was interesting to watch him on stage when Karl Rove had his rap moment last night. He was clearly basking in the attention, which only belies his ego-maniacal tendencies. Clearly this jerk is one of many reasons NBC is sliding down in the ratings. Even the crooked-nosed Brian Williams, with his constant droll-drip liberal bias, can’t make this liberal MSM icon look any better. You know, it’s hard to smear lipstick on a pig and call it Ms. America. By the way, I hear even CMT won’t pick up the Ms. America pageant this year. Yeah – way off subject.

thedecider on March 30, 2007 at 12:45 AM

Eh, my 12:44s a little strong, mods you can wipe that if you think its best to, this one too…

David Gregory just pulls the worst outta me…

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 12:53 AM

I guess that’s what you get for being such a crappy proxy.

Incidentally, do you think it’s his karma for NOT talking about his apparent leak via Fliesher in the Mitchell “I must have been drunk” – Russert kerfluffle?

David’s buring news worse than Dick Cheney going to a small town paper!

Topsecretk9 on March 30, 2007 at 12:59 AM

For what it’s worth, I don’t think Bad Candy’s 12:44 AM was strong.

I haven’t watched the alphabet soup for news for years (when my TV is on news at that hour, so take this for what it’s worth. Unless the NBC Nightly Blues is featuring Gregory nightly, he doesn’t have anything to do with the slide. Heck, even if they did, considering that ABC does much the same bashing, I doubt that Gregory has much to do with it.

I do, however, enjoy liberals eating their own.

steveegg on March 30, 2007 at 12:59 AM

As must as I dislike Gregory, E-mu is like Rosie without the testicles………

Limerick on March 30, 2007 at 1:02 AM

‘as much’…(stupid fat drunk hick fingers anyway)

Limerick on March 30, 2007 at 1:16 AM

Limerick, hatred of Gregory is mandatory (at least the last time I checked :-) , so I wouldn’t blame the fingers.

steveegg on March 30, 2007 at 1:20 AM

Imus and Gregory

Dumb-ass and Even Bigger Dumb-ass

The Battle of the Network hair-do melt-downs

Cranky Old Fart vs. Narcissistic Arrogant Asshole

Over-the-hill vs. Impending Career Trainwreck

…..should ‘trainwreck’ be two words, or can I do the Poetic License thingee?

Janos Hunyadi on March 30, 2007 at 1:31 AM

Janos Hunyadi on March 30, 2007 at 1:31 AM

Poetic license is always acceptable. Well, in my opinion. As for Gregory, arrogant @sshat is the descriptor that pops into my mind. That’s okay. Let him ride the crazy train all the way to its eventual derailment. Then we can bake him a big cake with words in icing asking “was it worth it?”

thedecider on March 30, 2007 at 1:39 AM

Okay, decider

you say ‘asshat’, I say ‘asshole’. Tomato, toMAHto, potato, poTAHto

I knew that self-absorbed little weasel was No Good the day I saw him whine and sneer at Tony Snow while wearing a pink shirt. That creepy smirk was all I needed to see

As for Imus, I just don’t Get It ( whatever It is ). I know there is always a market for Radio Guys who voice the Seething Lingering Discontent of the Little Guy–unfocused, incoherent Angst and all that, but Imus is a Complete Dick with no insight into anything, and a smarmy lefty tilt and no fucking sense at all.

I realise that most Americans who listen to him are driving to work in traffic, and want someone to yell at on the radio, but……….

Whatever happened to Wink Martindale?

Janos Hunyadi on March 30, 2007 at 1:58 AM

This is the only hope I have that the MSM does not have the monopoly it had when it crated the Veit Nam loss (although the US never lost a battle)….

They are trying it again for Iraq, and with all engines firing, Soros, the newly elected Democratic majority, the left wing bloggers, and all MSM outlets, they have to expend tremendous resources to defeat the United States of America…

But this time…….. WE ARE HERE!!!!!!!!!!

PinkyBigglesworth on March 30, 2007 at 2:05 AM

sorry….. “created”

PinkyBigglesworth on March 30, 2007 at 2:05 AM

My post got eaten because I said ‘fook’ ( spelled correctly ). But I ask you, ladies & gentlemen, what can a Man At the End of His Rope say when confronted with the Don n’ Dave Show?

Fook you, NBC: ditto to Imus. Maybe you two can co-host a new show “Asshats in the Afternoon: Special reports for Shut-ins and the Mentally Challenged”

Janos Hunyadi on March 30, 2007 at 2:13 AM

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 12:44 AM

David Gregory just pulls the worst outta me…

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 12:53 AM

Not only is the original comment not too strong, I too vote for the Tony Snow pimphand! David “Monkeyboy” Gregory really deserves the Rick James treatment. If he was any more full of, um, himself, his eyes would turn brown.

ReubenJCogburn on March 30, 2007 at 2:34 AM

Da guy wit the big cowboy hat has a purdy mouth.

Kini on March 30, 2007 at 3:13 AM

Da guy wit the big cowboy hat has a purdy mouth.

Kini on March 30, 2007 at 3:13 AM

I think he dresses up that way because he used to be the cowboy in the Village People.

ReubenJCogburn on March 30, 2007 at 3:54 AM

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Jeeze! Imus and Gregory are both smarmy jerks.

csdeven on March 30, 2007 at 5:51 AM

Did Imus want to mention his own ratings?

Not too stellar, from what I know…

JetBoy on March 30, 2007 at 6:48 AM

David Gregory is the most obnoxious, arrogant, and liberal reporter out there. Everyone knows he is an alcoholic as well. He tries to spin every story to hurt President Bush, and even those who don’t really follow politics can see through it. Thus, they are just changing channels to the more likable liberals at ABC or not turning on NBC at all for news.

januarius on March 30, 2007 at 7:06 AM

I almost think this needs the red meat pic. =P

Ringmaster on March 30, 2007 at 7:10 AM

David who?

BacaDog on March 30, 2007 at 8:08 AM

I kept expecting to hear one of them say “I know you are, but what am I?”

silenced majority on March 30, 2007 at 9:18 AM

David Gregory needs his own show. Right after Keith Olbermann on MSNBC.

Wade on March 30, 2007 at 9:34 AM

Look guys, Gregory knows what he’s talking about.

NBC is #1, Gregory is a fantastic reporter and unbiased observer of world events, Bush is a liar and things were better in Iraq under Saddam’s rule.

Come on, you’re not following the beat.

NBC is truther, Bushie is a liar.
NBC is truther, Bushie is a liar.

ta-ta-ta-ta-dum-dum, ta-ta-ta-ta-dum-dum.

Gaze into our eyes. WE will show you the light and the way.
Sleeeeeep, sleeeeep, sleeeeeeeep.

Back to you, Brian.

fogw on March 30, 2007 at 9:37 AM

It is all just rearranging of the deck chairs on the Titanic. It doesn’t matter which one of the networks people watch the message is the same. The only true measure of the decline of network news is total number of viewers for all 3 networks. The fact that someone watches Katie this week and John next week doesn’t really matter.

LakeRuins on March 30, 2007 at 10:32 AM

Holy crap, put the hat back on

Reaps on March 30, 2007 at 10:47 AM