Video: Goracle compares environmentalism to the civil rights movement; Update: Gore the favorite for Nobel?

posted at 10:21 am on March 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

In Norway, with the chairman of the Nobel Peace Prize committee in the audience. Public debate over the left’s pet causes always devolves into their opponents being cast as racist somehow; this is the Gorebot’s clumsy lurch in that direction, coopting a movement where the opposition really was racist to make the moral authority of his own agenda a bit more absolute by association. CAIR does the same thing in labeling critics of Islam “Islamophobes.”

That’s not what you’re watching for, though. You’re watching for the end, where the Gorebot lowers his voice and tries to slip the surly bonds of robotdom by achieving a poignant, human moment. With predictably comic results. Click the image to watch.

gore-vg.jpg

Thanks to Sugiero for the link. The good news for Gore? He’s no longer America’s biggest environmental hypocrite. Click for the photo alone.

Update: is another Democrat actually going to bag a Nobel five years after Carter?

Former U.S. Vice President Al Gore won praise on Thursday from a man with the power to change lives — the head of the Nobel Peace Prize committee — after a speech urging more action to fight global warming.

“A very important message,” Ole Danbolt Mjoes told Reuters after hearing Gore, a nominee for the prestigious award, say the planet was under threat from a build-up of greenhouse gases caused mainly by burning fossil fuels.

Mjoes, who joined in a minute-long standing ovation for Gore, said he was attending as a private citizen and not sizing up a candidate on behalf of the secretive five-member committee. He sat near the back in an audience of about 400…

“I have Gore as a clear favorite,” said Stein Toennesson, head of the International Peace Research Institute in Oslo. “I think the committee will be unable to resist the temptation to add their voice” to concerns about global warming, he said.

Comments

Oy.

Farmer_Joe on March 30, 2007 at 10:26 AM

At least Trvaolta has a semblance of talent. Gore is just a laughingstock.

JammieWearingFool on March 30, 2007 at 10:27 AM

OH MY! Just think how close this goofball was to being President.

Wade on March 30, 2007 at 10:28 AM

One of the most dangerous people in the world.

Labamigo on March 30, 2007 at 10:29 AM

It’s like he actually wants to become Darrel Hammond doing an impersonation of him. There is less and less “reality” to this cartoon character.

bbz123 on March 30, 2007 at 10:29 AM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t it possible he got the idea from his stupid campaign stop on Capitol Hill?

Someone there evoked Rosa Parks, but I can’t remember if it was Boxer or that creepy little woman from the Poltergeist movies (and, frankly, I’m not in the mood to listen to it again).

saint kansas on March 30, 2007 at 10:31 AM

I guess we shouldn’t remind anyone his father voted against the Civil Rights Act. An Inconvenient Truth, so to speak.

JammieWearingFool on March 30, 2007 at 10:32 AM

It [global warming] is a very valid issue,” Travolta declared. “I’m wondering if we need to think about other planets and dome cities.”

Wow. I almost expected the next paragraph to be all about building houses on top of large poles so we can live up above all the pollution. Then we can have flying cars and robot maids named Rosie.

He’s lost it.

Ferris on March 30, 2007 at 10:35 AM

I am committed to a worthy goal: debunking this clown.

This was in Norway? How did he get there? Sailboat?

saint kansas on March 30, 2007 at 10:36 AM

Project your moral imagination people! Imagine that carbon dioxide is a pollutant and that it is a sin to breathe it into the precious atmosphere of the planet! Its a sin, its a sin, its a sin! At least in my imagination. And so is eating meat. :P

A clockwork orange nightmare would be me in a straightjacket and my eyes clamped open watching the grindhouse double-feature of Fahrenheit 911 and Inconvenient Truth.

BelchSpeak on March 30, 2007 at 10:39 AM

I hear the word “feel” quite a bit in Gore’s speech. His feelings drive him, the people’s feelings will motivate them to jump onto his environmentalist bandwagon, you can feel it happening etc. It just makes me think about that old a saying that “Liberals feel while Conservatives think.” Its amazing how a liberal’s feelings completely override logic and reason.

Zetterson on March 30, 2007 at 10:40 AM

P.S. “I’m wondering if we need to think about other planets and dome cities.”

As a Scientologist, haven’t you already been wondering about this for quite some time?

saint kansas on March 30, 2007 at 10:42 AM

I don’t know why you guys are so hard on Al Gore and John Travolta. They’re my role models. I want to live just like they do!

aero on March 30, 2007 at 10:45 AM

JT, “Do as I say, not as I do.”

Goracle……I’m going to see the circus on Monday. If ASU wasn’t a dry campus I’d tailgate and watch all the yo yo sticks out in force.

VikingGoneWild on March 30, 2007 at 10:46 AM

As a Scientologist, he’s probably visited them.

Retread on March 30, 2007 at 10:48 AM

Goracle compares environmentalism to the civil rights movement

Algore’s memory of the 1960s is so fried. It’s the envirowhackos bringing out the dogs and fire hoses on us.

JammieWearingFool on March 30, 2007 at 10:32 AM

Like father, like son.

steveegg on March 30, 2007 at 10:52 AM

I think I’m going to cry. Somebody give me a hug, quick.

dalewalt on March 30, 2007 at 10:53 AM

So, is the Nobel Peace Prize officially a prize that has nothing to do with “peace” at all. Carter won, what peace did he bring to the world? And Gore, what peace did he bring? Am I missing the point of the prize?

lorien1973 on March 30, 2007 at 11:01 AM

Oh the drama! Mommy Gaia is weeping!

What a buffoon.

infidel4life on March 30, 2007 at 11:01 AM

I can’t open.
Looking at Gore, I am reminded of:
Hale Bop, Heaven’s Gate, mother ship, Nike sneakers, etc.

mountainmanbob on March 30, 2007 at 11:07 AM

lorien1973 on March 30, 2007 at 11:01 AM

I’m with you on that. It’s a real shame. I think giving it to Carter seriously hurt the Prize’s credibility and if they give it to Gore, they’ll have none left. It will be just another liberal political self-affirmation ceremony.

CP on March 30, 2007 at 11:10 AM

Like Ann Coulter said:

I don’t know about his carbon footprint, but Al’s carbon buttprint is looking huge!

wryteacher on March 30, 2007 at 11:11 AM

I don’t know why you guys are so hard on Al Gore and John Travolta.

I was sure the prize would go to Starlord Xenu or the 50-ft Jacko robot.

Coyote D. on March 30, 2007 at 11:12 AM

Shouldn’t he get the Nobel Prize, since this is a science, in physics or chemistry or biology? Oh wait, those require actual proof and brains! the Nobel Peace Prize is given to whomever best damages american interests.

Defector01 on March 30, 2007 at 11:13 AM

Incredible.

“Why we are allowing the pollution of the planet to continue…”

HEY GORE, MORON, YOU ARE FLYING ALL OVER THE DAMNED PLACE!!! WHAT ABOUT THAT HUGE HOUSE???

He’s as clueless as Rosie, or maybe he’s being purposely dense, I suspect as much from the ofsetting Greedy shyster.

benrand on March 30, 2007 at 11:15 AM

PssssssT Al! Over here!

Listen: YOU LOST THE BIG ONE!!!!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on March 30, 2007 at 11:16 AM

I meant to do this.

HEY GORE, MORON, YOU ARE FLYING ALL OVER THE DAMNED PLACE!!! WHAT ABOUT THAT HUGE HOUSE OF YOURS???

benrand on March 30, 2007 at 11:16 AM

I think giving it to Carter seriously hurt the Prize’s credibility

What little it had after the awards to Arafat and Kofi Annan …

Quisp on March 30, 2007 at 11:19 AM

Of course he’ll win the noble.

He’s a big time socialist

He represents a pie in Bush’s face if he wins

He is anti-American

He is pro-UN

All of these things led to Carter winning as well (well that and being anti-semitic).

Benaiah on March 30, 2007 at 11:36 AM

As far as I know, the last worthy recipient of the Nobel Prize was Milton Friedman.

aero on March 30, 2007 at 11:39 AM

Don’t you wonder why people like Travolta just don’t keep their yaps shut? You got 5 jets pal and, you fly around the world in them when the mood strikes? You want to tell me to turn my thermostat down?
Are they really so into their private world and out of touch with the rest of us that they think they can make proclamations on global warming from their private cockpits???
It really boggles my mind.

Babs on March 30, 2007 at 11:46 AM

One of the most dangerous people in the world.

Labamigo on March 30, 2007 at 10:29 AM

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Roark on March 30, 2007 at 11:53 AM

What is really so sad about this is the possibility that Gore might get a Nobel…
There are many people in the world working toward bettering the human living conditions on earth through “mud technology” to build structures in the third world to men and women working hard to provide safe drinking water through environmentally sound, albet somewhat primitive practices (hey, if you got no money you go with what you got).
The very idea that Gore is out jetting around promoting himself is obscene to me. Worse yet, the Nobel “secret 5″ by his tripe.

Babs on March 30, 2007 at 12:01 PM

grooming for Carters job…

VTWaldrup on March 30, 2007 at 12:02 PM

OH MY! Just think how close this goofball was to being President.

Wade on March 30, 2007 at 10:28 AM

Well, technically he is…

I’m just happy the Vast-Right-Wing-Conspiracy changed history (again).

Rick on March 30, 2007 at 12:04 PM

“Feeeeeeel! Feeeeel! Imagine!”

And not a fact in there to be found.

My favorite (I paraphrase) was “in MY country, the young people are more concerned about this issue, probably because they have to live with it longer.”

Or perhaps, AlBot the Divinity School flunkee, that they, like you, aren’t unduly burdened by an overabundance of actual book learning?

You know, books with actual facts in them?

Misha I on March 30, 2007 at 12:09 PM

That’s it. I’m going to start my next submission to the American Chemical Society with “I really, truly feel that this reaction will be important. I can feel it.” Then offer no yields, spectra or other useful results.

Think I’ll get published?

Nethicus on March 30, 2007 at 12:11 PM

grooming for Carters job…

That’s scary. Hmmm… Iranian hostages, gas lines, wearing sweaters to reduce electricity consumption, malaise. Deja vu.

shiver

saint kansas on March 30, 2007 at 12:13 PM

I think giving it to Carter seriously hurt the Prize’s credibility

What little it had after the awards to Arafat and Kofi Annan …

Quisp on March 30, 2007 at 11:19 AM

Oh yeah, that’d slipped my mind when I mentioned Carter’s. Good point.

CP on March 30, 2007 at 12:16 PM

Well, technically he is…

Huh? What does that mean?

Wade on March 30, 2007 at 12:20 PM

That High Priest Algore is going to be up for the Nobel Piece Prize instead of one of the science prizes is yet another piece of evidence that Global “Warming” is more a religion than a science.

steveegg on March 30, 2007 at 12:23 PM

Too bad Rush doesn’t stand a snowball’s chance. Algore would get an in-your-face, DENIED.
Oh well, these things are only important to enviro-wackos anyway.

tormod on March 30, 2007 at 12:26 PM

Reason #12048793457972135576 why the Nobel is a joke…

amerpundit on March 30, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Nethicus on March 30, 2007 at 12:11 PM

Nope. Or maybe I should try and convince my thesis committee that I really feel like my model for selective attention is just really important, and not take the time to do the research and back up my claims in a project, because all that matters is that I feel strongly about it. Think it will get approved?

Roark on March 30, 2007 at 12:33 PM

Defector01 on March 30, 2007 at 11:13 AM

Whoa there cowboy. One at a time. Those will come in due course.

lorien1973 on March 30, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Huh? What does that mean?

Wade on March 30, 2007 at 12:20 PM

SARCASM – please read the rest of the comment.

Rick on March 30, 2007 at 1:02 PM

You gotta give props to Big Al though. He’s gotten more press out of this than any candidacy would have given him.

I heard on one of the AM talk shows that he’s even considering a run as a third party candidate. Given how that would take the kook vote away from Madam Shrillery and divide the Dhemocrats I think that it would be a terrific idea.

Mojave Mark on March 30, 2007 at 1:04 PM

Wait, I thought it was the Goracle screaming that Bush “played on our fears!”

If that is the case, what do we call what the Goracle doing?

digitalintrigue on March 30, 2007 at 1:29 PM

I hear that Vinny is a ” a passionate pilot”, so it’s OK.

The Gorbacle is ” a passionate walking Hemorrhoid”, so it’s OK.

All you have to do is name yourself, “Passionat whatever”, and your OK. No need for anyone to buy “offset credits” anymore.

Problem solved.

Everyone can go back to what you are doing.

PinkyBigglesworth on March 30, 2007 at 1:39 PM

What can you say about this? For the elitist whores like Al and Europe’s eventual fall into an Islamic state, you might as well say goodbye to Euro-Disney!

Kini on March 30, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Gore for the Nobel PEACE prize??????????

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE can somebody…anybody…explain the link between meteorology and peace?

Oh…I see…lib bot causes get “peace” nominations regardless.

And let’s face it, Gore’s cockeyed weather scaremongering isn’t gonna win any scientific prizes.

uptight on March 30, 2007 at 2:14 PM

Recently in the AOPA magazine I read an article on airplane expenses for private flying in Europe, and especially on how it is viewed to be “criminal”, nearly. Not for jets, just for small airplanes gasoline is now the equivalent of $11/gallon. A small private airplane landing at the Frankfurt airport would cost the equivalent of $1,700, including ‘punishment’, taxes, and other fees.

Imagine what that costs for the jets Mr. Travolta flies. The hypocrisy of Messrs Gore and Travolta can’t be put in words.

The Nobel “peace” prize deserves no more comments. It has become totally irrelevant.

Entelechy on March 30, 2007 at 3:08 PM

I’m going to win the thread with this point:

If Gore truly believed his global warming bullsh**, he wouldn’t have flown to to Norway for this event (or the hundreds of others he’s been flying to over the years). He’d have appeared via satellite or web came. We have the technology now, and it’s very cheap and very easy to use.

Not only would he be practicing what he’s preaching, he would be making a publicity stunt, drawing more media attention. I always said he should have done the late night talk show circuit this way…. a small tv with live video of his head, while the TV sits atop a mannequin… instead of flying back and forth between NYC and LA.

As Coulter said, at least now we know he’s not stupid… he’s just a liar. He doesn’t really believe the crap he’s feeding people, or else he’d change his lifestyle. This guy probably flies more than anyone on the freakin’ planet, and he doesn’t have to.

I’m so f-ing sick of watching debates on H&C and O’Reilly and eventually the lib saying “But he has to fly around the planet to get the message out”…. NO HE DOESN’T!!! The hosts never slam someone when they pull out that line of BS. Look, we have people reporting live on cable news from war zones all day every day… I think this turd can make his speech in a similar fashion!

RightWinged on March 30, 2007 at 3:17 PM

So what he’s saying is that the Earth got herself knocked up and run off with a meth-dealing motorcycle gang?

The Ugly American on March 30, 2007 at 3:48 PM

RightWinged on March 30, 2007 at 3:17 PM

You won! :)

The other mantra is “his house is so big and needs so much energy because he works from home, bla, bla, bla”.

Look at Michelle’s office. And he ‘invented’ the internet, or lives in the illusion that he did.

He’s not stupid. He’s getting rich and fat, literally. Those who pay and believe for/in his bullsh-t are the stupid ones.

Entelechy on March 30, 2007 at 4:12 PM

RightWinged on March 30, 2007 at 3:17 PM

You won! :)

Entelechy on March 30, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Yeah, that “works from home” comment always bothers me too, because I actually work from home… which happens to be a little one bedroom apartment. Even in the winter my energy (all electric, which is actually unusual up here) bill only reached $120 twice… and contrary to what might be reported, we had almost two months of unusually ridiculous cold. In the summer my bill is (was last summer) closer to 30-40. I work from home and don’t use a fraction of what he does.

RightWinged on March 30, 2007 at 4:29 PM

RightWinged on March 30, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Yeah, but according to the experts, this summer will be a true inferno – I hear that some cities may actually catch on fire from the global warming. All the coastal cities will be destroyed by the record number of hurricanes. Hell on earth, my friend, hell on earth – if we would have just listened way back when…

SARCASM

Rick on March 30, 2007 at 5:55 PM

That picture of Travolta’s house is stunning. I thought the article was some kind of parody but it seems to be real!

Resolute on March 30, 2007 at 7:14 PM

I dub thee, Vinnie Carborino.

wordwarp on March 30, 2007 at 9:14 PM

And Coyote D. was never heard from again . .

- The Cat