Slate mocks Fred! with phony campaign ad

posted at 5:25 pm on March 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

As with most Slate content, it’s more amateurish than it has a right to be but the basic idea is still sound. I like the slogan too, although I’d have preferred “Fred! It just feels right.”

We’ll end up doing a bunch of these ourselves, I’m sure, once the election peeks over the horizon.

Comments

Considering the juciness of the target, that was a complete waste of four grey cells and a half-bottle of Kettle One.
Lame-o.

spd rdr on March 30, 2007 at 5:32 PM

That was almost as funny as that Kermit in Iraq video from earlier today. Almost.

amish on March 30, 2007 at 5:33 PM

I only liked the “Doink, Doink” sound.

Laura02420 on March 30, 2007 at 5:34 PM

That was actually pretty funny. And I say that as a guy who consistently refers to Fred! as “the next President of the United States”.

corbettw on March 30, 2007 at 5:36 PM

At least they didn’t make fun of the way he talks.

I keed.

harrison on March 30, 2007 at 5:36 PM

Man, I wish I was a Democrat so I would have a reason to trust, like they do with Obama and Hillary! and Edwards.

a4g on March 30, 2007 at 5:37 PM

lame

vcferlita on March 30, 2007 at 5:38 PM

I like the slogan too, although I’d have preferred “Fred! It just feels right.”

Alternate:

Fred – Sweet tea and grits for everyone!

lorien1973 on March 30, 2007 at 5:40 PM

Good concept, weak execution.

Dunno, got nothin snarky.

*Law&Order Sound*

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 5:45 PM

Imagine:

-You have the endless multimedia resources afforded by the Washington Post, Inc. + the American taxpayer via NPR at your disposal…
-You recognize a soft target for a timely and razor-sharp political parody…
-You have the limitless bandwidth of BrightCove to distribute your work to the world…
-You are Andy Bowers…

What do you do?

You f[bleep]k it up, of course.

ScottMcC on March 30, 2007 at 5:57 PM

Weak execution of a potentially funny idea. So weak that they managed to accidentally point out that Fred! has more experience in national government than Edwards, Obama, or Shrillary, which I wouldn’t think that Slate would be all that eager to do.

I have to say, though, that the “Hanoi Hilton” joke on McCain didn’t sit real well with me. I find humor in a lot of places that most people don’t, but I don’t think I’ll ever get to the point that I find mocking real-life POWs funny. Nor do I want to. I’m no fan of McCain as a Senator or as a presidential candidate, and there are plenty of things that I’ll mock him for. Just not that.

ReubenJCogburn on March 30, 2007 at 6:01 PM

I agree, funny, weak execution.

amerpundit on March 30, 2007 at 6:07 PM

Advice on Republican presidential choices from Slate? Charming. At least we can say now that Allah doesn’t like Fred as a candidate, as everyone keeps vehemently denying elsewhere. “Then comes a man” jokes to follow soon.

spmat on March 30, 2007 at 6:17 PM

Does it matter why?

Well when Fred gets a chance to answer that question head to head in a debate, we’ll know why.

Theworldisnotenough on March 30, 2007 at 6:22 PM

This is great news. If he is making the pun circuit it isn’t because they aren’t afraid of him.

Wait til 60Minutos gets ahold of his co-stars…thats a day when HA will have record hits.

Limerick on March 30, 2007 at 6:36 PM

Wow , Powerful stuff , Huh ! ! !

Texyank on March 30, 2007 at 6:45 PM

At least they picked a target with substance. They’d have never gotten so much mileage making fun of Sam Brownback.

fusionaddict on March 30, 2007 at 6:49 PM

fusionaddict on March 30, 2007 at 6:49 PM

Agreed, it’d be like calling Edwards silly names…

Which is why I think Coulter blew it. Seriously, Gore beats Edwards in the polls, and he isn’t running yet either.

gekkobear on March 30, 2007 at 7:03 PM

Why, because he showed us this spoof? That doesn’t necessarily imply that AP doesn’t like Fred! as a candidate, I imagine he’ll point us to spoof’s on *all* the candidates.

dalewalt on March 30, 2007 at 7:06 PM

…amaturish, but better satire than Al Gore’s film.

gmaninatl on March 30, 2007 at 7:40 PM

On second thought, Slate must be worried that Fred can beat either Hillary or Obama in ’08..

gmaninatl on March 30, 2007 at 7:43 PM

I actually like Slate sometimes, especially Kausfiles, but that was super-lame.

RW Wacko on March 30, 2007 at 8:58 PM

(Read like your listening to Fred)………..

Well, don’t get your bloomers in a knicker over this folks, it’s not as bad as having a boil on your butt on a hot summer day in the Texas desert……..

These folks are just joshing with ol’ Fred, kinda flattering, don’t I look good?

We got two more years of this kind of pig in a poke, so if your too thin skinned, don’t come to the dance.

I will let them waste their time, while I plan another “sour mash BBQ” with the Mrs.

Y’all are welcome, as long as you behave………

PinkyBigglesworth on March 30, 2007 at 9:13 PM

Okay, Pinky…you have got to provide us with a recipe link soon. :-)

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 11:13 PM

He’s got that X factor which will be hard to beat.

Mojave Mark on March 30, 2007 at 11:42 PM

How original!!! No one ever has the guts to make fun of a southern accent!!! I am impressed.

I have a few new ones for them…he probably married his cousin…something about runnning water…and he probably is not very smart. We southerners never hear those!

mbredmond on March 31, 2007 at 8:24 AM

How original!!! No one ever has the guts to make fun of a southern accent!!!

Wonder when we’ll see the Obama “I wants to be Prez-O-Dent!” (a la the old Chris Rock routine, about how Colin Powell “speaks so well!”) ad?

Now, would someone please pass the jelleh? I’m Southern, and too retarded to get it for myself…

Mike H on March 31, 2007 at 9:21 AM

Mike H on March 31, 2007 at 9:21 AM

That commercial was so annoying. But not as obnoxious as that old Shake & Bake commercial: “And Ah hay-ulped!”

ReubenJCogburn on March 31, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Note to Slate – “Obama, you trust him – does it matter why?”

Entelechy on April 1, 2007 at 3:51 PM