Popular Mechanics debunks Rosie’s 9/11 theories

posted at 7:55 pm on March 30, 2007 by Ian

Hooray for the good folks at PopMech and their point-by-point response to Rosie O’Donnell’s most egregious lies about the collapse of WTC 7. It’s based on their 2005 grand debunking of various myths surrounding the destruction of the Twin Towers and the four hijacked airplanes. Rosie promised on Thursday to bring in physicists from Harvard and Yale who believe the buildings were brought down by a controlled demolition. She won’t find any, but I bet there are some folks at PopMech who wouldn’t mind appearing on the show on Elisabeth Hasselbeck’s behalf.

Since it is a Friday, I thought I’d share this picture ABC must be so proud of:

thankyourosie.jpg

(hat tip: Little Green Footballs)

Comments

Thanks Ian, I think you just caused a minor tremor in ABC’s price for commercials with that photo!

What fine looking crowd (just kidding).

Michelle’s on Mr. O at the moment…

Zorro on March 30, 2007 at 8:11 PM

PopMech’s article uses big words and technical terms, so it is clealy a neo-con tool. Don’t worry, Rosie! The Truth is still intact!

laelaps on March 30, 2007 at 8:12 PM

Nice! I love having more WTC7 ammo myself. Truthers always call WTC7 the “smoking gun” for the conspiracy.

lorien1973 on March 30, 2007 at 8:15 PM

I’m ashamed to admit my brother, who on all other accounts is a good conservative, is a truther on the 9/11 conspiracy. There may be hope for him yet, when he realizes he has now aligned himself with Rosie.

silenced majority on March 30, 2007 at 8:18 PM

You want ammo? Get a copy of the PBS, Nova documentary called “Why the towers fell.” Nova followed the teams of engineers around while they did their forensic investigation from start to finish. It’s interwoven with interviews with top structural engineers and the original architect. It also includes models and forensic evidence that describes everything in great detail. It was first shown about a year or so after 911.

TheBigOldDog on March 30, 2007 at 8:21 PM

Here’s the transcript to the documentary

TheBigOldDog on March 30, 2007 at 8:22 PM

Bush sunk the Titanic! There’s no way a ship could have just split apart like that!

frankj on March 30, 2007 at 8:24 PM

Are the models made of chickenwire and cinderblocks?

If not, it’s not scientific! /sarc

Egad, I hate Truthers.

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 8:24 PM

There’s no way a ship could have just split apart like that!

Metal has never torn in half in all the history of mankind, or the universe for that matter.

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 8:25 PM

That doesnt directly touch on wtc7 does it – i scanned it real quick but no mention of 7? that one seems to focus on wtc 1 and 2. only the most insane truthers deny that planes didn’t hit 1 and 2 (no planers they are called).

lorien1973 on March 30, 2007 at 8:27 PM

NARRATOR: But what really caused the Twin Towers to collapse? Was their failure inevitable? Or could they have stood longer, giving occupants and emergency crews a better chance for escape?

-snip-

NARRATOR: When a blue ribbon team of forensic engineers was asked by the government to determine exactly what triggered the Towers’ collapse, NOVA was there from the beginning, following their quest for answers

-snip-

NARRATOR: From their detailed examination of the Towers’ innovative design to the search for forensic evidence in the molecules of collapsed steel, the investigation team has studied every possible scenario. Could one tower have collapsed for different reasons than the other? Was there something about the Towers—built to maximize rental space—that traded safety for economy?

TheBigOldDog on March 30, 2007 at 8:28 PM

I still have that issue of PM that debunks the 9/11 myths. An excellent source to counter left-wing loons.

Yakko77 on March 30, 2007 at 8:36 PM

It’s the first time in history that water has torn metal!

frankj on March 30, 2007 at 8:38 PM

This is good too

Exit Question: Am I the only one who wants to give a wedgie to everyone in that photo?

RightWinged on March 30, 2007 at 8:40 PM

It’s the first time in history that water has torn metal!

Look at this picture very carefully. See the smoke?

Explosive devices.

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 8:42 PM

Those talking about Travolta’s home can also check it out at Google Earth via this link

RightWinged on March 30, 2007 at 8:45 PM

I think DiCaprio’s fire crotch exploded and caused the titanic to sink. its the only -plausible- explanation.

lorien1973 on March 30, 2007 at 8:45 PM

Look at this picture very carefully. See the smoke?

Explosive devices.

Exactly! Only two things can cause a ship to split in two like that: controlled demolitions or a giant squid.

As evidenced by the icebergs, the water was too cold for squid.

So you tell me what happened!

frankj on March 30, 2007 at 8:47 PM

I wonder how many carbon offset it will take to shut Rosie up?

Kini on March 30, 2007 at 8:51 PM

As evidenced by the icebergs, the water was too cold for squid.

Like what happened to the Lusitania?

If people want to know the truth, they HAVE to visit 414truth.org.

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 9:03 PM

Had the founding fathers knon that the future would produce “O’Donnells”, they would have stopped writing the Constitution, put it in the trash and considererd the entire effort a lost cause. But, how could anyone predict such utter stupidity?

rplat on March 30, 2007 at 9:05 PM

I’d suggest posting the Popular Mechanics link on Ruh-Ro’s personal website, but somehow I don’t think she’d read it.

If ignorance is bliss, Rosie must be a g-d Buddha.

Mindcrime on March 30, 2007 at 9:06 PM

Are the models made of chickenwire and cinderblocks?
If not, it’s not scientific! /sarc
Egad, I hate Truthers.
Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 8:24 PM

Heh, that chickenwire/cinderblock model was the best ever.

Here it is, PROOOOOF!!!!!!! *FOAMS*

Yeah, with you on the Truthers too. Buncha tinfoil nutbars.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 9:14 PM

Posted this in the Malkin the Big Story thread, but thought it was worth repeating

Odd that after yesterday’s blog post in which she said that the British “did it on purpose”, in her conspiracy theorist rant about the hostage situation she posts this total old news fluff… Sad when you have to mask your shameful behavior… with slightly less shameful and embarassing behavior

(*BONUS* The clip even has her saying “Ching Chong”)

Now for my conspiracy theory… She’s trying to go further and further over the top, hoping to get fired because she’s in talks to get her own show. In fact I want to say I heard something a few months back, about her having offers or something… Of course as I’ve noted, she’s mainstreaming Trutherism, a “movement” that I predict will grown exponentially, not because it should, but because most Americans are idiots and/or lazy, which means they will be easily drawn in by the “questions” raised by Truthers, and not spend the time to learn that those questions are based on lies put forth by the people asking them, others have very simple answers, while others have complex answers. Anyway, I honestly think Rosie may be trying to get fired because she has some other opportunity out there. Like that episode of Seinfeld where the Mets were supposed to hire George, but he had to get fired from the Yankees, so he tried to go out in a big way. I can’t remember all of his attempts, outher than putting on Babe Ruth’s old uniform and eating strawberries in a meeting, making a mess all over the the clothes.

RightWinged on March 30, 2007 at 8:58 PM

I’d also like to add a thought about the whole “controlled demolition” thing. Aside from the fact that all the conspiracy theories have been thoroughly debunked repeatedly by many people, there’s always the common sense aspect. First, how many thousands of people would have to be in on the conspiracy… but as it pertains specifically to “controlled demolitions”… Don’t you think that those (the Bushluminati) who put together the most elaborate conspiracy false flag attack in history would have thought “we better set the explosives off in a way that makes the towers come down more “naturally” or fat lesbian bats might suspect something”. You get what I’m saying? If these guys could put together such an elaborate scheme… wouldn’t they have been able to set off the “explosives” in a manner that would cause the building to collapse in a way more “believable” to those who would seek to “question to official story”? So stupid. Yeah, they brainwashed thousands of airport workers and eyewitnesses (especially those in DC who had the plane fly right over their heads), the families who made phone calls, etc. etc. etc. thousands and thousands of people. They were able to do that, but damn Rumsfeld and Bill Kristol forgot to tell the demolition team to rig the building up so it would look like it was a controlled demolition! Those sloppy bastards made it so obvious!

RightWinged on March 30, 2007 at 9:15 PM

RightWinged, have you ever seen Maddox’s debunking of the Truthers?

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 9:16 PM

It is very clear that the Bush Administration has gotten to the editorial staff of PM and forced them to use science and engineering logic to cover up the real events of 9/11! This conspiracy goes much deeper than ANY of us can imagine. Be afraid, be very afraid. Boooooooooooosh!

Mallard T. Drake on March 30, 2007 at 9:17 PM

That photo tells a story stockholders won’t soon forget.

Limerick on March 30, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Has Rosie not ever heard of welding? Fire can’t melt steel? Gimme a break!

MsUnderestimated on March 30, 2007 at 9:34 PM

There’s the link to Maddox’s smackdown of Truthers. As with any Maddox post, theres a whole lotta swearing, but its good.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 9:38 PM

I love the fact that the picture of her on FNC’s ‘Rosie scrawl’ shows her opening and closing her mouth repeatedly.

James on March 30, 2007 at 9:39 PM

Thanks, Bad Candy. I couldn’t find it, for some reason.

It is profane, but funny and oddly persuasive.

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 9:42 PM

Has Rosie not ever heard of welding? Fire can’t melt steel? Gimme a break!

MsUnderestimated on March 30, 2007 at 9:34 PM

Well, I believe that in Rosie’s universe, steel is excreted from a unicorn’s butt, and then Bigfoot bends it into the desired shape. So welding doesn’t enter into the equation, really. For really fancy jobs, they subcontract the work out to those anal-probing aliens and their superior technology.

Heh, that chickenwire/cinderblock model was the best ever.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 9:14 PM

Yes, yes, it was. The most insane depths of utter moonbattery. And that’s saying something.

ReubenJCogburn on March 30, 2007 at 9:54 PM

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 9:38 PM

Nice link Bad Candy I thought I was the only one the read Maddox on this site.

Also South Park smacked it down as well. HA vault has the clip .

F15Mech on March 30, 2007 at 9:58 PM

How can Rosie and Eric Cartman both be wrong?

Booo on March 30, 2007 at 10:04 PM

Thanks, Bad Candy. I couldn’t find it, for some reason.
Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 9:42 PM

Just google Maddox, Slubbo. He’ll be the first site.

How can Rosie and Eric Cartman both be wrong?

Booo on March 30, 2007 at 10:04 PM

Cartman hates Kyle or Jewish people more than liberals. Its hard to tell if Cartman hates Jewish people because he hates Kyle or if he hates Kyle because he hates Jewish people. Chicken or egg type quandry.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 10:11 PM

Just google Maddox, Slubbo. He’ll be the first site.

Yeah, I just read his children’s art “reviews.” Nearly busted a gut laughing. I was trying to find the link from ace’s site, where I first saw the debunking.

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 10:13 PM

Heh, I think I linked that too, but Amish mighta beat me.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 10:16 PM

Maddox has a great new one about “macs” hilarious! I love that site.

lorien1973 on March 30, 2007 at 10:20 PM

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 10:13 PM

Off topic but here I go

Slublog check out his segway article. One of the funniest things I ever read.

F15Mech on March 30, 2007 at 10:20 PM

BWAHAHAHAHA. Who is Maddox? I have a new kindred spirit!

Check this out:

One thing PC users can do that Mac users can’t…

It had me in tears!

TheBigOldDog on March 30, 2007 at 10:26 PM

Slublog check out his segway article. One of the funniest things I ever read.

Genius.

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 10:30 PM

My question on WTC7 has always been; why blow it up?
So it was a Sooper Sekret CIA building full of Sooper Sekrets? Were these secrets embedded in the walls and carpet and the whole building was wired to blow for years and years in the outside hope that someday something nearby would provide them with cover to demolish their Sekret building? Was nothing written on paper that could be shredded or burned, or on hardrives that could be magnetically destroyed? Nope, the BUILDING had to be demolished to get rid of the “evidence”. And apparently these Sooper Sekrets rested only there, not in the countless other agency buildings across the country.

Yep, that’s some mighty fine conspiracy you got there, Ro.

Texan on March 30, 2007 at 10:33 PM

Is Maddox entirely new to you people?

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 10:41 PM

Is Maddox entirely new to you people?

Most of it, yes. I’d read his stuff on Cracked, though.

Slublog on March 30, 2007 at 10:46 PM

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 10:41 PM

Not to me, wondering the same however.

The crappy childrens artwork was in some email spam a years ago, I expect most people would have seen that but not the rest of the site.

F15Mech on March 30, 2007 at 10:47 PM

I got two words for Rosie. Blast Furnace…Google it!

Buck Turgidson on March 30, 2007 at 10:56 PM

The only difference between the bag lady pushing the shopping cart down the street and mumbling to herself and Rosie is that Rosie has money and a microphone.

Mojave Mark on March 30, 2007 at 11:37 PM

I forgot when I heard about maddox. A few years ago. the kids drawings stuff is hilarious.

The only problem I have with his 9/11 article is that he doesn’t get (or doesnt care) that Beck was doing a bit when he talked about the folding of the bill to make 9/11. It doesn’t matter really, the rest of it is spot on :P

lorien1973 on March 30, 2007 at 11:37 PM

From what corner of the god-king Xerxes’ empire did they hatch that vile harpy?

Coyote D. on March 30, 2007 at 11:38 PM

One thing I don’t get about The View is who is watching it? A daytime program. Most people are working and what mom in her right mind would have Rosie’s show on when there are little lids around?

Connie on March 30, 2007 at 11:40 PM

correction

lids=kids

Connie on March 30, 2007 at 11:41 PM

Rosie now says the Brits crossed into Iranian waters on purpose on her blog and takes a swipe at Anderson Cooper.

Ripclawe on March 30, 2007 at 11:50 PM

Two pictures of Rosie and one of Carville on the same page. Gakkkkk.

Glynn on March 31, 2007 at 12:13 AM

In order to address concerns of conspiracy theorists, the organization added “Hypothetical Blast Analysis” to its research,

Why bother? Conspiracy theorists aren’t interested in facts. That’s why they’re called “conspiracy theorists”.

CliffHanger on March 31, 2007 at 12:18 AM

Connie on March 30, 2007 at 11:40 PM

AP and Ian, that’s who.

Rick on March 31, 2007 at 12:27 AM

Never try to debate a truther or a nutroot leftist loony with facts, they make up their own as they go along and won’t ever accept anyone elses. It’s like trying to herd cats.

I do enjoy Rosie joining the ranks of the 9/11 truthers, it makes it so much easier to mock the whole bunch at the same time.

Buzzy on March 31, 2007 at 12:30 AM

Since it is a Friday, I thought I’d share this picture ABC must be so proud of:

Where do these people come from? I’m just glad Pop. Mech. came along to take them down. Isn’t Pop. Mech. part of the Vast-Right-Wing-Conspiracy?

Rick on March 31, 2007 at 12:34 AM

What’s with the obsession here with everything that Rosie says? I don’t get it. Is it because she’s such a big fat easy target? Honestly, I love this site, I’ve read it every single day since it launched, but I get so tired of seeing her mug on the front page every day.

So here’s a small suggestion. Could you replace the pictures of her with something slightly less offensive? Say, a horse’s butt. Same impact, but less painful on the eyes.

Hack Ptui on March 31, 2007 at 1:45 AM

As evidenced by the icebergs, the water was too cold for squid.

So you tell me what happened!

frankj on March 30, 2007 at 8:47 PM

Funny, frankj!

It had to be controlled demolitions! Or, perhaps it was Martians preparing for an invasion of planet earth

Regarding the water being too cold for squid, that is false.

Squid are found at extreme depths in the sea where the water pressure is extreme and where the temperature is very gold. Scientists have a difficult time studying squid because they are found so deep in the ocean where humans have great difficulty traversing.

In point of fact, some squid have been found at very long lengths, 30 to 50 feet and more.

Ice berg or no ice berg, if a squid were to come that close to the surface they could do whatever they wanted. On the other hand, it would be difficult for an animal, such as a squid, a whale, an octopus, which collectively range in size from 10 feet to 100 feet, to cause excessive damage, like ripping the hull, to a ship the size and strength of the Titanic.

William

William2006 on March 31, 2007 at 2:22 AM

PWNED

WisCon on March 31, 2007 at 4:35 AM

The idiots disabled their email on their website so you can’t even email anyone at the view. Pathetic pieces of junk. On Rosie’s site..it says this which I found actually too funny:

no new questions taking a little break

Seriously, that is what it says. These people are jokes….plain and simple. They are bomb throwers and run away like pansies..no wonder rosie is so cozy with the terrorists..their methods are much the same.

Highrise on March 31, 2007 at 4:43 AM

Bush killed the dinosaurs!!! Dinolovers for truth!!

Oh wait…Rosie is still alive.. oh well there goes that theory..

Viper1 on March 31, 2007 at 9:21 AM

I haven’t read all 300+ comments about Rosie so if someone said this already, please pardon me.

I think we should broker a deal for the UK where Iran gets Rosie and UK gets their troops back.

H.U.A! (Army-speak for Heard Understood Acknowledged)

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on March 31, 2007 at 11:07 AM

Or, perhaps it was Martians preparing for an invasion of planet earth

Its actually shape shifting lizard people from Draco. How do I know this? Cuz the guy who started the whole “illuminati” gambit told me so!

lorien1973 on March 31, 2007 at 11:25 AM

The “truthers” omit or overlook one crucial fact in their flawed scenario. To implode something as big as the twin towers; various metal and concrete support structures would need to be structurally weakened before any explosives are set.

RedinBlueCounty on March 31, 2007 at 12:47 PM

AT risk of getting thrown off this site forever…is it just me, or does that pic of Rosie on the front page look like a fat version of a famous female conservative blogger and fox new contributor?

uptight on March 31, 2007 at 3:23 PM

I followed the link to Maddox:

Here’s another

He also calls Bush a moron and Bolton a feminine hygiene product. Oh, yeah, wonderful site.

Hiraghm on March 31, 2007 at 3:38 PM

airlock, pig, yadda yadda

unamused on March 31, 2007 at 4:38 PM

frankj on March 30, 2007 at 8:24 PM

I knew it! I heard he also rigged Amelia Earhart’s plane with explosives, because she was going to expose his connection to the monopoly of the Standard Oil Company!

amerpundit on March 31, 2007 at 5:04 PM

Boycott ABC and every view advertiser.

dougless on March 31, 2007 at 5:09 PM

And subscribe to Popular Mechanics! I picked it up in direct response to the magazine’s decision to take on the “truthers” with direct sanity.

Blacklake on March 31, 2007 at 6:34 PM

RedinBlueCounty: “Ever see a documentary on controlled explosive demolitions? They always strategically remove structural concrete and pre-cut various steel beams prior to the placement of explosives. This process takes several weeks at best and, I am sure, would have been noticed by those who worked in the twin towers.”

Not if they were invisible. Didn’t think of that, didja?

RedinBlueCounty: “It’s very hard to hide the equipment necessary to prepare a building for controlled explosive demolition and it is impossible to hide the gaping holes such preparation would have produced in interior and exterior walls. Someone would have said something when pieces of the interior walls were being destroyed and structural beams were being drilled and cut.”

They would have noticed nothing if Karl Rove projected a holograph showing the walls still intact. Heck, they showed how this was done on the pilot of Star Trek forty years ago.

Tantor on March 31, 2007 at 8:22 PM

Where to start? How does Dr. Rosie PhD think that steel is melted and formed at the foundries? A: Fire. Can she explain why firefighters are always cautious about entering a metal structure that is on fire? A: Heat from the fire weakens the metal, thus the other materials (concrete) have a much greater effect on the integrity of the structure. No “truthers”, I am not an ivy league physicist; but I do have experience as a steel worker and as a firefighter.
Class, let’s do a little experiment. Find a metal framed chair that can handle the weight of Dr. Rosie which will act as the building frame. Then substitute the supporting material with her robust intellect. Once this has been deemed structurally sound by an ivy league expert panel; subject the metal structure to the extreme heat created by a fire. Exit question: How long will Rosie’s concrete ass stay at the penthouse level?

jarhead05 on April 1, 2007 at 12:29 PM

I liked Maddox’s debunking. He came at it from the same direction I did.

Let’s pretend for a moment, that I am Evil George Bush, or EGB for short. I want cheap oil. Let’s see. I could…get some arab patsys, have Evil Dick Cheney (EDC) take control of planes with his Evil Playstation 3 and start a big unpopular war that is tanking my entire party with the American people. Hmm…now, that’s almost as brilliant as sharks with fricking lasers on their heads, but how about instead, on September 10th, we call Saddam Hussein and say, hey, multiply what you’re paying the UN in bribes by 1000, and pay me, and I’ll lift the no fly zone.

So, assuming he IS EGB, he would have done this, because it
wouldn’t have destroyed his presidency. But, let’s assume
in addition to being evil, he’s also a complete tool. EDC
flies the planes into the towers with his EPS3. Now,
if anybody was getting wise, don’t you think someone who
could pull off that type of bombing could get rid of a
couple of reporters? Hell, the Russians are doing it every
day. Incidentally, if we have such an evil, amoral man as
president, why does he suffer people like Joe Wilson to
make him look like a fool? Remember, this is evilGeorge Bush, who killed 3000 people for cheap oil. Why would he allow himself to have critics?
Putin doesn’t a critic in his home country who isn’t afraid
of being shot in the face or thrown off a balcony, and he’s
not even in the same playing field as EGB. That’s why I
truly hate this conspiracy. Not just because of what it alleges about loyal people in our government, or soldiers
who would have been the ones to carry it out (can you imagine any soldier carrying out an order to bring those towers down, but not coming forward?) but because it’s so
inconsistent. You’re not going to ever convince me that GWB
can mastermind a plot that only a handful of fruitcakes can
figure out, but he can’t run his damn administration without
half of them being forced to resign on trumped up bs scandals. I mean, some conspiracys can be fun to twirl around over a pitcher of beer but this one..sheesh.

austinnelly on April 1, 2007 at 1:23 PM

I also thought there was something odd about WTC7, and I even held out a theory that they demolished the building to take advantage of the situation to collect insurance money. But then I saw the pictures of the side of the building that got smashed up by the other two towers. Helps to have all the facts on the table.

Seixon on April 1, 2007 at 2:52 PM

One thing about Truthers, they make great targets for ridicule.

JackM on April 2, 2007 at 8:20 AM

Wow! There must be, like, a whole six people outside ABC! What a movement!

Viewtifulgare on April 2, 2007 at 11:20 AM