Heart-ache: Life-sized, anatomically correct, milk-chocolate Jesus cancelled

posted at 2:48 pm on March 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

Man, Bill Donohue’s having a big year, huh?

A controversial planned exhibit of a milk chocolate sculpture of Jesus Christ, dubbed “My Sweet Lord” by its creator, has been cancelled, FOX News has learned.

The exhibit, set for Easter week, elicited outrage Thursday from a Catholic group infuriated by the anatomically correct confection.

“This is one of the worst assaults on Christian sensibilities ever,” said Bill Donohue, head of the watchdog Catholic League. “It’s not just the ugliness of the portrayal, but the timing — to choose Holy Week is astounding.”…

The gallery’s creative director, Matt Semler, said the Lab and the hotel were overrun with angry telephone calls and e-mails about the exhibit. Although he described Donohue’s response as “a Catholic fatwa,” Semler earlier said the gallery was considering its options amid the criticism.

“We’re obviously surprised by the overwhelming response and offense people have taken,” said Semler, adding that the Holy Week timing was an unfortunate coincidence. “We are certainly in the process of trying to figure out what we’re going to do next.”

“A Catholic fatwa.” Oh, the irony. The sweet, nougaty irony.

Exit question: What’s to become of chocolate Jesus?

Comments

Mmmm…chocolate Eucharist.

A moment on the lips…and an eternity in Eternal Damnation.

amish on March 30, 2007 at 2:52 PM

It was probably hollow anyway, with that crappy waxy tasting chocolate they haul out at Easter.

a4g on March 30, 2007 at 2:53 PM

Exit question: What’s to become of chocolate Jesus?

That was my first question too. My g/f would definitely take it off their hands, although she refuses to admit which part she’d eat first.

ReubenJCogburn on March 30, 2007 at 2:53 PM

sorry…laughing so hard it hurts…..reading this I couldn’t help but have an image in my head of the fella that works next to my wife at the flower shop…one hand on his chin, the other flopping in the breeze…..

sorry….you’re a bigot Lim.

Limerick on March 30, 2007 at 2:56 PM

I call Bullsh*t with a capital B!

How about an exhibit of the Mohammad cartoons?

Mallard T. Drake on March 30, 2007 at 2:57 PM

Amazing…they turned down my statue of the Spammohammed.

stonemeister on March 30, 2007 at 2:59 PM

Exit question: What’s to become of chocolate Jesus?

To be dragged out as comment bait again?

spmat on March 30, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Exit question: What’s to become of chocolate Jesus?

Drawn and Quartered
With a glass of Port wine!

Kini on March 30, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Well, duh…any real chocolate lover will tell you that you’ve got to make a chocolate Buddha. Jesus was too skinny to satisfy the craving for enlightenment…you just can’t savor the Savior.

James on March 30, 2007 at 3:04 PM

“We’re obviously surprised by the overwhelming response and offense people have taken,” said Semler,“We are certainly in the process of trying to figure out what we’re going to do next.”

May be it’s time to give the ol’ creative juices a rest for awhile.

billy on March 30, 2007 at 3:11 PM

Amazing…they turned down my statue of the Spammohammed.

stonemeister on March 30, 2007 at 2:59 PM

Dang, then I guess my MoHAMmed–a Mohammed made out of ham, covered in a shiny coat of bacon grease–is out of the question too.

ReubenJCogburn on March 30, 2007 at 3:12 PM

Exit question: What’s to become of chocolate Jesus?

Millions of Christians figuratively eat the body of Christ every weekend… so I’d say Choco-Jesus says “Eat Me”.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 30, 2007 at 3:13 PM

“a Catholic fatwa,”

DIRKA! DIRKA! MARY! CRUSADE! HAHAHA!!!! MARY! DIRKA! A-SHERPA! SHERPA! CRUSADE! CRUSADE!

*fires off AK rounds*

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 3:17 PM

I dunno…I’m Catholic, and I don’t see anything wrong with it. Is it a cheesy hollow one, or solid? That would make a difference. I don’t see why he’s not wearing a loincloth though.

There’s worse that’s been on display…like the “Dung Madonna” at the Brooklyn Museum a few years back.

JetBoy on March 30, 2007 at 3:17 PM

Transubstantialicious.

Fondue unto others….

James on March 30, 2007 at 3:18 PM

figuratively eat the body of Christ every weekend…

MARY!!! MARY!!! CRUSADE!!!! CRUSADE!!!!!

*fires RPG-7 at EL*

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 3:20 PM

MARY!!! MARY!!! CRUSADE!!!! CRUSADE!!!!!

*fires RPG-7 at EL*

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Well, would you prefer to call it cannibalism?

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 30, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Sorry, watched Team America recently and couldn’t help myself. Plus you know how us Catholics are. Just can’t stop ourselves from wantonly attacking random Protestants and liberal artists.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 3:23 PM

So much heartache today!

Good Lt on March 30, 2007 at 3:23 PM

Let’s not Marcottize this thread, folks, mmkay? I’d hate to have to ban people over chocolate Jesus.

Allahpundit on March 30, 2007 at 3:24 PM

I’m thinking a marshmallow Mohamed-
Make it out of the peep marshmellows you get on easter, mmmmm good!

Trooper on March 30, 2007 at 3:27 PM

Was he regular or almond?

Mazztek on March 30, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Well, would you prefer to call it cannibalism?

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 30, 2007 at 3:21 PM

You’ll laugh till there’s an albino monk at your door looking to smash your head in.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 3:30 PM

“Fondue unto others…”

James that was just too, err, sweet

Bob Owens on March 30, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Allahpundit on March 30, 2007 at 3:24 PM

Aww, c’mon Allah, it wasn’t that bad. He just set me up for a good(bad? lame?) Catholic/Team America/ Jihad joke. Plus I got a Da Vinci Code Joke on the rebound. And I’m Catholic.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 3:33 PM

I just went over to HuffPo to see what their astute and tolerant commenters have to say about this story.

No luck. They’ve disabled comments on that story.

juliesa on March 30, 2007 at 3:50 PM

I* just remebered where my M&M choclate W/almonds are stashed. Gotta go.

tormod on March 30, 2007 at 3:52 PM

No luck. They’ve disabled comments on that story.

juliesa on March 30, 2007 at 3:50 PM

Its funny how careful they are now that they’ve been broadsided a few times for the crazy crap that gets posted because they’re scared to death it’ll go widely mainstream. Its funny.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 3:54 PM

What about Mohammed chocolate head in the Easter basket artwork?

Drtuddle on March 30, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Allah: Man, Bill Donohue’s having a big year, huh?

Yeah, and I can’t stand the guy, and generally oppose what he’s doing. Do I have to hand in my Catholic Badge now? That said, They did get the “Bloody Mary” episode of South Park on again this week(probably NSFW if you look it up), it got embargoed for a while cuz Donahue threw a tantrum. I don’t like his suppression of artists and artwork, call it crap, don’t call for censorship. And no, Marcotte was a different story.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 4:05 PM

Bad Candy, yes, but they’re not careful enough.

Here’s a nice active thread from today’s HuffPo:

Excerpt from comments:

they’re welcome to destroy that shitty little country – Pissrael- as far as I’m concerned
It’s such a damn shame that Ahmadinejad was so correct about the so-called holocaust. Had it actually happened maybe there wouldn’t be so many damned stinking Jews running around and wreaking havoc on the world

By: DonR on March 30, 2007 at 10:05am

And so on, for 12 pages.

juliesa on March 30, 2007 at 4:10 PM

Allahpundit

You put the “Choclate Jesus” thread up here…with this crowd ;-) and don’t expect the Marcott-ing to happen?

Oh, brother!

JetBoy on March 30, 2007 at 4:18 PM

juliesa on March 30, 2007 at 4:10 PM

GTFO!!!!! HuffPo, meet Stormfront. Stormfront, HuffPo.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 4:27 PM

No, Really? For Holy Week? Who da thunkit.
So I guess you can get the Swiis Guard to make death threats.

Iblis on March 30, 2007 at 4:37 PM

Awww… come on Allah, I’m… “Just another primitive superstitious misogynist chocolate godbag”

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 30, 2007 at 4:40 PM

Good for Catholics. If Semler is having a hard time differentiating between peaceful protest and a real fatwa, maybe he should make a 420,000 calorie chocolate Mohammed and schedule it for Ramadan. Liberals = Cowards.

januarius on March 30, 2007 at 4:43 PM

One media outlet (at Michelle’s) said that they require good taste… therefore, I don’t see a double standard. It would be tough to convince me that a gigantic chocolate person wouldn’t have good taste.

DaveS on March 30, 2007 at 4:51 PM

*fires off AK rounds*

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 3:17 PM

I can’t wait to see a terrorist singing that on a video posted at Youtube. Think CAIR will be outraged?

Tim Burton on March 30, 2007 at 4:57 PM

Question? Do Catholics not think Jesus had a penis?

Maybe I should do my paper for my Masters in Theology on that question. LOL!

Tim Burton on March 30, 2007 at 4:58 PM

Heart-ache: Life-sized, anatomically correct, milk-chocolate Jesus cancelled

Clearly Chocolate Jesus made the mistake of not getting the Dobson Seal of Approval (TM) first.

ReubenJCogburn on March 30, 2007 at 5:19 PM

Tim Burton on March 30, 2007 at 4:58 PM

Not Catholic I’m assuming? Unlike Protestants, we do portray Christ on our crosses, called the crucifix, cross is without Jesus. We usually cover him with a strip of cloth out of respect in most portrayals.

Bad Candy on March 30, 2007 at 5:21 PM

I want the ears!!

Tanya on March 30, 2007 at 5:45 PM

They aren’t surprised, they got their intended attention. What liars.

Highrise on March 30, 2007 at 5:50 PM

What a bunch of clowns.
“Oooh, look at us, we’re doing a baaaaaaad thing…”

If they really want some attention, why don’t they make a chocolate Mohammad?

Sorry I forgot, the riots and the blowing up women and children and all that….

G-man on March 30, 2007 at 6:37 PM

Exit question: What’s to become of chocolate Jesus?

I say we feed it to Rosie or send it to the Chocolate City. Both need a taste of religion.

silenced majority on March 30, 2007 at 6:54 PM

I want the ears!!

Tanya on March 30, 2007 at 5:45 PM

You win the thread!

James on March 30, 2007 at 8:26 PM

Exit question: What’s to become of chocolate Jesus?

KFI, LA AM radio, today, refusing to name the hotel and gallery to have displayed him, said that the original intent was to have visitors lick and eat the chocolate until it was gone…gross…

Entelechy on March 31, 2007 at 12:36 AM

Here we go again: “Piss Christ” redux: another snot-nosed arrogant anti-Catholic uncivilized piss-ant “artist” who thinks he’s a Really Clever Dude

another pathetic attempt to grotesquely ridicule and grossly insult what Kindergarden Minds cannot accept or even begin to comprehend

rolling around in sewers and gutters, they hate anything above them–all the while spouting platitudes about ‘free speech’ ( defined as any attempt to preserve the Last Few Shreds of Public Decency in what’s left of society……….

Janos Hunyadi on March 31, 2007 at 5:45 AM

Exit question: What’s to become of chocolate Jesus?

Lets make chocolate chip cookies!

csdeven on March 31, 2007 at 8:07 AM

Exit question: What’s to become…?

Would make one helluva a Devil’s Food cake!

(Had they used white chocolate I would have said Angel’s Food, of course.)

If Rosie (Tehran Tubby) O’Donnell weren’t a lesbian, I’m sure she could engulf it in one sitting.

One question, though: where’s the beard?

profitsbeard on March 31, 2007 at 11:57 PM